Kids Rock 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2 warrior

The Fly
Any other fans out there forces to watch Disney Channel with their kids? Just saw a commercial for Kids Rock 8 cd. Kids singing today's hits. First they played a sing along version of Kelly Clarkson, no problem there. Then they played Vertigo and i almost puked. This has to be authorized by the band, right? I guess is they can let the Pet Shop boys remake Streets, then this is ok but it still doesnt feel right.

What'd think?

The PSB nearly made me hate streets, please U2 most bands just ruin your songs, except Johnny Cash - One, and to prove how much songs by U2 can be ruined listen to Bellfire-All i want is you it makes me :mad:

U2 on a Kids Rock cd? Fine by me. There are entire albums of Beatles songs for kids. There have been more atrocious covers of Beatles songs than U2 songs, and yet the Beatles still have their credibility in tow. So don't worry about it. Those kids will grow up smart.

From the band's standpoint, it 's gotta be hard to turn down anything that, 1) pays some royalties, and 2) generates new appreciation for your original as the public hears your song butchered :)

Moonlit_Angel said:
Also, I don't know what the deal is regarding how these kids are allowed to cover these songs.

Angela

Who's going to sue a bunch of kids? Honestly. :wink:

Anyway, these things always make me laugh. I say let the kids have their fun.

KhanadaRhodes said:
a band does not have to ask/give consent for someone to cover a song. they probably have no idea.

yes they do!! you can cover a song live but if you put it on a cd and sell it $$ you need permission from the band!

KhanadaRhodes said:
a band does not have to ask/give consent for someone to cover a song. they probably have no idea.

It varies, but in U2's case you most certainly do and it's a lengthy and frustrating process, even for a compilation album.

Earnie Shavers said:

It varies, but in U2's case you most certainly do and it's a lengthy and frustrating process, even for a compilation album.

How lengthy?

I read that when Pras wanted to cover/sample Still Haven't Found, he just called Bono up on the phone and they talked and Bono said 'ok' right over the phone.

well thats if you know the band it seems to help, but to go through record companies and management, then the band have to ok it, but bono could not give the rights by himself it would have to be done out in a contract and all that malarkey...

check this out for more info:
h**p://www.manhunt.com/features/html/61.html

U2 are really wrapped up with their current tour, been working on their album, probably too busy to really be bothered to sue.

John Kerry didn't have permission to use U2's song "Beautiful Day," in commercials, nor did Tony Blair or the Liberal party of U.K. who were using it.

Green Days' "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is on that same compilation, rather disturbing to hear kids sing that one. :ohmy: Guessing it's edited as there's an f-bomb in that song.

Back
Top Bottom