June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I SORT of agree with you guys about it seeming like Dads dancing at a disco but at the same time I really want to see that remix live again, as they screwed up the timing when I heard it in Cardiff :wink: Bono obviously came in a little late with the first verse as after a few lines it suddenly went to the chorus. Same with Bad that night actually, a bit was missed off and I still feel like I haven't heard it 'properly' live even though i HAVE :drool::drool:

but yeah, Moment Of Surrender can suck it, but I'd still like to hear Crazy Tonight..

also I realised my hopes for MOFO were unrealistic but they were replaced when the even more unrealistic hope of fucking ZOOROPA being played was made a reality this tour. As long as they play that one song at Glastonbury, they can do what they like in my eyes :) but something tells me that song might get dropped...jesus christ I hope not or one of you's going to have to comfort me as i cry and i'm wishing i hadn't even bothered typing all this i've been drinking a bit too much at my final university exhibition this evening sorry

also, sorry to bring up pulp again but I just read the setlist for their tiny gig in Toulouse tonight, and it's basically been decided for me that coupled with U2 this is going to be the best week of my life!! :drool::drool:

Small article from a few days ago that I haven't seen on here? Nothing new, except this "GET EXCITED!" quote from Michael Eavis:

"We are spending a lot of money on it. For U2 we have to do it. It's the biggest show on earth so we are throwing everything we can to please them. It's going to be one hell of a set because they will be playing all their favourite old songs. They'll be on-stage for two hours but I think we will allow them to do a few encores."

Whole article: Bono at Glasto? It woz Kate Moss wot did it! - Music, Entertainment - Independent.ie

So it sounds like it won't be a shortened set (vs 360), maybe even a song or two more (given that there won't be as much faffing about as during a 360 gig.) Also interesting that he suggests that it's the festival spending a lot on their set up. It generally doesn't work that way, if the artist wants to go apeshit beyond what Glastonbury supply as standard, it's at their own expense, and I had heard that one of the main reasons why U2 had not done Glastonbury before (and what really dragged negotiations when actually getting them) was the argument over staging costs. McGuinness wanted Glastonbury to pay, despite that not being what they do - guess he won.

Not even the notoriously demanding/tight/do-not-get-out-of-bed-for-less-than-£2m Paul McCartney went against the Glastonbury 'tradition'. He took a 'low' fee of £200K (which was still a record for Glastonbury) and then spent £250K of his own cash on his staging, which obviously was nothing anywhere near the realm of what you would assume U2 are dreaming up.

Definitely not cool, but it's not like I'm going to care when I'm pissed and jumping around at the biggest U2 gig in... how long? A long fucking time.

Maybe. Also read somewhere that this is the reason why both times they were booked in for Friday, and why in both years, fairly 'low key' (in terms of set up) acts have been scheduled before them. They can set up something different (time consuming) for U2 in the days before, then dismantle very quickly overnight for the next day. If they were on the Saturday or Sunday, it would be near impossible to do the set up. So have a ramp/b-stage set up just for Friday, and have acts on before that don't require much of anything on stage for quick movement, and free space for some dominant U2 staging sitting there all day behind a curtain or whatever.

Really looking forward to seeing the setup, no doubt Willie will be coming up with some great ideas with a nod back to older tours.

Yeah, that's what I'd really like actually. The visuals for at least some songs simply being directly from tours past. Most of the crowd won't realise that, and will just enjoy them for what they are, and the part of the crowd that will recognise, say, the Keith Haring animation accompanying One, will love the nod to the past.

Well they are playing the video from ZooTv during streets, so who knows? Willie hasnt even mentioned anything about the production once during any of his diary, so he obviously wants to keep it hush hush.

I think one big, dominant screen is a given - unless they really are going ZooTV inspired and there's a hundred huge plasma's hanging from the ceiling or something - and that a b-stage is an outside possibility, but I really think U2 will try and do something to reach back down the field. Even if it's just rigging some lights further down - halfway, 3/4 the way. That Pyramid setup really is only a close quarters thing, and I bet that's something they might try to change.

I think it will be a very 'disappointing' setlist for people in here because it will be super warhorse heavy - they're not going to bust out the Mofo's and whatnot - but I think it will be pretty hard for them to disappoint the 100K+ in the crowd. Of between 20-25 potential songs, I reckon only three or four will 'disappoint', in that they won't be as well known, or not really worthy of the occasion, or just pretty shit. The rest will all be monsters, as far as crowd reaction/participation/enjoyment goes. The only moment that I think could really do any damage to the perception of the set overall really is just ending on Moment of Surrender. Any other Boots or whatever 'mistakes', will be completely overcome and forgotten by the next song.

I really think U2 will try and do something to reach back down the field.

I now have visions of a 30min version of Electric Co with the crowd wondering where Bongo has gone, only for him to appear at the top of the hill under a single spotlight, gasping out a snippet of 'Send In The Clowns':lol:

I hope to god your not expecting ultra rare songs to be played?
well im not..
i just hope that someting from every u2 album will be played, i think this would be the best idea....not again 4 or 5 songs from atyclb and none from october or even pop...becuse u2 are performing not just in front of hardcore or casual fans, but general good music lovers..

I now have visions of a 30min version of Electric Co with the crowd wondering where Bongo has gone, only for him to appear at the top of the hill under a single spotlight, gasping out a snippet of 'Send In The Clowns':lol:

:lol:

I don't care what they play. I so excited. :hyper::hyper::hyper::faint: Going to be EPIC whatever they play. Though I agree with not playing MOS as the closer and as much as I love Crazy Tonight with out the Claw it won't work. Add is some other uptempo stuff instead. :shifty:

Oh my god, look at what they are rehearsing in Winnipeg! Imagine if we got The Fly at Glastonbury. I would die right there and then :drool:

yeah man! that would be so awesome - really hoping soundchecks give a little bit of a clue as to what we'll actually hear. even if they don't play it before glastonbury but bust it out there and take it back to the US :hmm:

I missed that soundcheck, could you post the full rehearsal set list, in a spoiler tag this time :sexywink: But dear god... I want that song badly.

AB anniversary is giving us lots of good things :drool:

And agreeing with Jem here :hifive:
I don't care what they songs play, as long as Bono's voice is good/great,
and he doesn't make a fecking fool of himself, I'm happier than ever.
Bring on those warhorses :shrug: U2 is U2 no matter what they play.
I'm going to have a blast.

Obviously you would assume the *extra* AB material is simply for the doco, but with Magnificent, Elevation, Streets, HMTMKMKM in there, I guess they're either doubling it up with a bit of 360 rehearsal - or - a theatre is a damn good place for getting your Glastonbury-style-stage bits and bobs down.

To answer your second question: No. Good lord, to be there, and they play Love is Fucking Blindless... shiiiiiit...

I'm all in for love is blindness, that will stun the fucking crowds nerves to death.:hyper:

Maybe these songs will carry over to the rest of the NA tour!
Getting the Fly or LIB in NJ would be a dream come through!

I would consider Santa Claus delivering Bar Rafaeli one Christmas morning as only very narrowly more exciting than the prospect of seeing U2 perform Love is Blindness at Glastonbury - so I am going to manage my expectations, i.e. keep them where they've been for the past 18 years, which is around about 0% chance of it happening. Just it appearing on this documentary will be pretty amazing on its own though.

anyone who's really REALLY into Brothers Cider (a Glastonbury staple, as we all know :hmm: haha) may be interested to know that until tomorrow Tesco are doing 12x440ml can packs at 3 packs for £20! which is pretty damn good and worth giving a heads up for I think? don't know if anyone's THAT bothered about Brothers, but thanks to the wonders of online shopping I've now got 72 cans of the stuff turning up at my flat tomorrow :lol: the question is, Interference, do I tell my girlfriend.....?

thought some people here might be interested in that offer though? may be warmer than the stuff at the Brothers Bar but as a guy who's just left uni with only one day a week's work, I'd gladly break my back carrying in a fuckload of cans than pay £4 a drink at glastonbury this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom