it?s all about bass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
don't worry clarity, when you first start playing... reaching 4 frets away with your pinky seems like shooting from downtown for a little while... you'll get it! keep practicing!
smile.gif

------------------
SlipStream Soul

start at practising close to the body (of the bass), the frets are smaller there and it?s easier. Then slowly you can make your way down the neck.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by AM:
start at practising close to the body (of the bass), the frets are smaller there and it?s easier. Then slowly you can make your way down the neck.

How long did it take you to be able to reach between the frets comfortably? Especially the first ones at the top of the neck? My fingers would like to know cause they think I'm evil for making them do these things. lol

depends on how often you play, really. I mean, in reality, no one's a Flea when they first start playing bass... not even the former guitarists.

As for strength, that comes over time too... unfotunately.
frown.gif

------------------
SlipStream Soul

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
*knows she's just too impatient*
smile.gif

you?ll get there
smile.gif

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

100 posts.

I guess that makes this post the longest in EBTTRT
smile.gif

Bass players rock!!!

------------------

101st Posts- bassists kick ass

Regarding hand/arm strength- just keep playing it will come. I keep my action pretty high (I like the sound, plus I have a pretty deep attack so if the action was low I would have fret-buzz galore) so it forced my hands and arms to get up to strength.

Amp question.

Some guy wants to sell his amp. It?s a Trace Elliot GP7 Pre Amp (150 w) + speakers. It?s a good as new, but I?m not sure what to do. He asks for about US$ 500.

What do you think, have you tried this kind of amps and do you think it?s too much money for a used one?

I?ve tried it last weekend and it sounds great and I desperately need an amp.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 04-19-2002).]

guys, you won?t believe what I played last weekend.

A ?62 (autumn) Fender Jazz bass. Original body, original neck, serial no. 401!!!! (=handmade by Fender himself!!!!)

It was amazing to play this baby.

------------------

Been Playing since 1989

Hi All:

I've been playing Bass since 1989 and have certainly learned a thing or two over the years.

I started as a bass player for the Jazz band in High School. U2 was one of the first bands I used to play along with, mainly because the bass lines were soooo frickin' easy. Especially songs like WOWY, etc.

As the years went on and I got better and better I started reaching out and listening to new types of music with different bass players/bass styles.

I really wanted to learn how to play funk / slap bass after hearing guys like Flea rip those bass lines. It took me the better part of 5 years to learn how to slap correctly.

Then I started to listening to bands like Primus, Phish, and others, where the bass player is more of a main member of the band and less of a "rhytym section member" of the band.

I do have to say that Mike Gordon of Phish is probably my biggest influence now.

He plays all styles. From traditional rock bass like Adam Clayton, to Funky Bass like Phish. He is also a tremedous soloist and is great at improvisation. Gordon really got me into learning about the instrument. You see...he won't just play the same 4 notes over and over again. If there is a Guitar solo, he is listening to the guitar and is basically soloing with it building with the solo, responding to it, etc. Truely amazing.

Gordon was also the first bass player that I ever heard use effects. That got me down a whole other road. He uses distortion, delay, and has probably the best effect of all...an envelope filter (basically an autowah much like the effect edge uses on Mysterious Ways)

As far as guitars...I started out with a 4 string Washburn. (Washburns are the best to learn on in my opinion). I now play a 5 string Yamaha. I also have a 4 string washburn acoustic bass.

My amp is an older Peavy stack with 18" woofer and 2 8" horns. I am looking at getting a new Eden stack. They are sweet.

For effects, I currently use a Digitech Whammy II pedal for pitch shifting, A Boss Otive pedal, an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron envelope filter, an Ibanez Tube Screamer (Distortion), a Boss BP-6 multi effects processor (used mostly as a preamp, eq, and delay), and Line 6 delay box (used mainly for sampling and loops), and a Boss loop station.

I really don't play much U2 bass anymore, even though they are one of my favorite bands. It just isn't challenging anymore. I can learn Adams licks in usually a few minutes. I do, however, play some of Edges guitar parts on my Bass.

I started getting into playing 2 and 3 string chords about 5 years ago. Once you start playing chords on bass, it is hard to stop. So...since I knew chords and had all of the effects, I would start to learn Edge's guitar parts and play them on my bass. As of now, I can play Bad, WOWY, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, and ISHFWILF, among others.

If I am ususally playing along with someone on CD, it is usually phish, since the music is very bass intense. Some songs I'll use several different effects, play chords, slap, and play traditional bass all in the same song. What bass player wouldn't want that?

I also like listening to Les Claypool. They guy is crazy...but amazing. I have to say that Victor Wooten from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is hands down the best player out there in the music industry. I can't even begin to do what he does. It is rediculous.

Anyway...just thought I would put in my two cents.

For you newbie bass players out there, check out "Down with Disease" or "Free" by Phish and you'll see what I'm talking about. "Tweezer" is also good.

bostonfan

well, it took me about 15 minutes to read this thread. just some random things:
no, adam doesn't play double bass, and could not just pick one up and start playing. if you've ever tried one, you'll know what I mean. it's like saying a guitarist could pick up a violin and start playing. the instrument takes years of dedication to play.
having said that, I prefer adam to victor wooten anyday of the week. all the bass show off shit is so boring to me. I'd much prefer a to hear a classical pianist than him.

some of my favorite electric bassists:
1. james jamerson (all the motown stuff like temptations, marvin gaye, etc.)
2. flabba holt (bob marley)
3. tony levin (peter gabriel)
4. adam (duh.....)
5. colin greenwood (radiohead)
6. john paul jones (led zeppelin)
7. bootsy collins (james brown)
8. jaco pastorius (victor wooten's got nothing on jaco)
9. rocco prestia (tower of power)
10. sting:yes:

:adam:

Hey all- it's been a while. Cool to see new people on the bass thread here. This thread's been around for a while now-

AM how sweet was that '62? It's like holding a piece of history- that thing is nice as hell.

Hope everyone is doing well- just wanted to check in and say hola.

DorianGray said:
AM how sweet was that '62? It's like holding a piece of history- that thing is nice as hell.

it was incredible! To feel this baby and to play it was amazing. This guy was really lucky to get it. He bought it for almost nothing of a fisherman who had no idea what he was doing :ohmy:

But tell me how?s you bass project going :)

Ahh the bass project-

Well I spent almost the entire weekend working on it. I've been neglecting it for some time.

I started looking at the finish on it and realized I didn't like the way it was coming in so I started from scratch and sanded the body, neck and head all the way back down to the original wood- restained it with the vintage yellow color and started reapplying lacquer to the body.

Everything else, besides the finish is done, the electronics are rather sweet.

I promise to post a pic when this thing is finally done- or I'll send pics of my funeral if this thing kills me.

(Thanks for bumping the bass thread back to life) :drool:

I can?t wait to see a pic of your bass. It sounds so cool what you?re doing.

But remember, before it kills you, send it to me and I?ll take care of it :yes:

BTW - my avatar is a pic of my Ibanez :)

Well here's what I'm shooting for, the '62 P-Bass. Just promise no laughing when I finish the final product and post the pic.

Attachments

• 0190116_md.jpg
    0190116_md.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 21
big bass-play-promise, I won?t laugh.

Man, this bass is a real beauty!!! Maybe I should start saving some money so I can afford a bass like than in..... *checks finances* ... in 10 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom