Is It Hell waiting for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Must. know.tour.schedule.

I need to develop my plan of action. I am going all out.

Definitely watch out for the line cutters. At the Brooklyn gig, the 10-12 of us that got there by 10:00 am definitely had to kick a lot of people out and actually tell on them to a LOVELY security guy. He was so, so good about it. We were pretty identifiable to them since we were there early. Definitely work out a system with those around you and rotate being the bad cop. Organization is the key! :wink:

MUST.GET.TICKETS.

Would it be helpful for the pre-show GA line to get in touch online with fans in your city? Then you could all meet up at a specific time to stand in line together? At least that way you *may* have people to save your place in line and to hang out with.

Thanks U2kitten for all your help.... it is MUCH appreciated! :up: Now all I have to do is sucker my hubby & 'bout 4 other friends to get on their cell phones the day tix become available for the North Carolina show.....which reminds me - How come we only rate ONE show every single time they tour???? I'm positive they could sell out an Eastern NC show (Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham) AND a Central/Western NC show (Greensboro, Charlotte).

Ack - now's not the time or place. So long as they do stop in NC, I'll be happy. :yes:

Well security at Earl's Court on the last tour were witholding wristbands and then selling them secretly to people that arrived later in the day. This made my blood boil as some people had been waiting in line from early morning, and were clearly eligable for a wristband got turned away.

I know this is fact because not only was I turned away, I was offered a wristband by the same ShowSec man after doors had opened if I left £20 in one of the portaloos.

I've been meaning to report this to PM, should I?

i waited in line in Paris in June in a rainstorm and cold weather. after 3 hours of shivering, i made friends with some lovely italian fans. i love Italy, they spoke English well, and we had a great discussion on Pop vs. ATYCLB.

it wasn't so bad. at least in retrospect.

Hey Canadiens1160, I'm in Montreal too and I'd be glad to help start something like that up here to ensure getting the best spot possible.

I had fun in the GA line in Indianapolis. I got there about 10 am, there were maybe 20 people in line ahead of me, everyone was really nice, the weather was gorgeous. When the doors opened it was all very organized and civilized, and in the heart people were great, saying things like, "Can you see? Here, get in front of me." I couldn't believe it, actually, because I'd heard horrible stories. I think it really depends on the city.

bammo2 said:
yeah the thing that worries me the most about GA queues is the toilet thing. What if there aren't any toilets nearby?!!

and what if I get to the front once inside, but then need the loo?

I worry about things like this. I blame my mother :mad:

A security guard let us in the building to use the bathroom. I coincidentally had to go to the bathroom while U2 were doing soundcheck and it was a very surreal experience sitting on the toilet and hearing Bono singing Stay.

I didn't drink anything but water once I got into the heart so I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom, but I saw people holding spaces for people who had to go. U2 fans are generally really nice (there's always one bad apple, though).

i attend loads of gigs every year and the ebay touting of tickets is getting out of control, i had to have a whole team of friends to help me get pixies tickets in June... i can only imagine what it will be like for u2... in Q Magazine this month there's a report on the subject saying that professionnal teams are buying up tickets and selling them on over ebay for hugely inflated prices.... £1000 for oasis, £500 for kylie......for U2, god only knows....

Jim said:
Well security at Earl's Court on the last tour were witholding wristbands and then selling them secretly to people that arrived later in the day. This made my blood boil as some people had been waiting in line from early morning, and were clearly eligable for a wristband got turned away.

I know this is fact because not only was I turned away, I was offered a wristband by the same ShowSec man after doors had opened if I left £20 in one of the portaloos.

I've been meaning to report this to PM, should I?

ooh a UK person!

you can help me out please!

so dodgy security aside (and yes you should report it though its a bit late now) what do you reckon is a good time to get to a London concert? as i mentioned way earlier in this post, i've only ever been to a concert in SA which wasnt too stressful tickets and queue wise so i have no idea what to expect in London which i reckon will be a lot more hectic. how early did you get to earls court - am i looking at having to be there really early morning or even overnight bunking on the sidewalk??
i dont care what, i just want to be upfront

Yes, it is hell, all I can say at this time the memory is still too near, but just imagine 30 hours in line with temps as low as 05 degrees.

Was it worth it?

Yes!!!

Diemen said:
For LA in early November, my gf and I got there around 9 or 10 or 11am (I can't remember exactly) and there was already a pretty big crowd of people camping out. I think we were around 170-something in line. The weather was fine, although it started pouring the last half hour before we got in.

Ha! I remember that. I went to three GA shows (San Diego, Anaheim on first leg, then LA on third leg.)

All great experiences, with only the LA show having remotely bad weather (but that's California).

I will see a show in GA this tour if it's available.

digsy said:

yeah i know - i think its just the site itself to be honest. i've had a look at other thigns they sell on there and they're all about double the price of normal ticket retailers. i think the deal is though (depending on whether you trust the site) you pay extra money and i mean WAY extra money and then you're guaranteed a ticket.

what i'm thinking of doing is buying these online ones at those prices and then trying ot buy GA normally when they're released. if i can get then i'll sell these ones on e-bay and try regain some of my money back - sold out U2 in ireland? people will pay for that so i'm bound to make some of my money back.
and if i cant get GA when they're released or i miss out, then the £125 i paid for these will be worth every penny!

i think i'm gonna wait for comfirmation though...

Hi digsy, just a word of warning - i know the website that you allude to in your post and they claim to be able to get great tickets for any show. However, earlier in the year i remember a huge thread on the glastonbury forum about people who had purchased from sites such as these and they had been completely ripped off and ticketless... and it wasnt an isolated case, in fact there are ongoing law suits with many of these ticket agencies that sell tickets for shows not actually confirmed...
i'm not saying dont buy them because thats your choice, but i'm just warning a fellow fan of the greatest band in the world to maybe ask a LOT of questions before you get your credit card out....

chrissybaby said:

Hi digsy, just a word of warning - i know the website that you allude to in your post and they claim to be able to get great tickets for any show. However, earlier in the year i remember a huge thread on the glastonbury forum about people who had purchased from sites such as these and they had been completely ripped off and ticketless... and it wasnt an isolated case, in fact there are ongoing law suits with many of these ticket agencies that sell tickets for shows not actually confirmed...
i'm not saying dont buy them because thats your choice, but i'm just warning a fellow fan of the greatest band in the world to maybe ask a LOT of questions before you get your credit card out....

wow, old post!
thanks for the advice, what with the whole u2.com subscription thing i'm not gonna worry about getting tickets through these guys. ll just take my luck with u2.com and normal releases and hope for the best!

thanks though

GA arent even guaranteed to be on this tour.

Its just as easy getting in on a pre-sale, or even being online right when the website opens. Ticketmaster has improved their system A LOT since Elevation. Should be no problem getting GAs off the net, screw sleeping outdoors, you're not guaranteed anything any way you do it.

I got in line for the Pittsburgh Elevation show around 1:30 pm & was somewhere around 250th in line. All the loonies in front of us ran for the bathroom once we got inside and of course I ran for the heart & was in the very front center, only about 5 feet or so from Bono :wink:

The most important thing to remember with GA is go with the flow. If you're going to have a panic attack over small things DON'T DO IT. Too many people freak themselves out and ruin the show experience for themselves.

If any of the following sound like they would ruin your mood or cause a panic attack please pass on it.

• You don't have a seat waiting for you.

• Two people cutting in line twenty people in front of you.

• Mismanaged security suddenly forming two lines and they let one line go before yours, thus sending 50 people in front of you, and you got there before all of them.

• The weather turns bad and you stand for eight hours in 40 degree weather while rain pounds your head.

etc.

I've done this stuff enough to never let it bother me. I always get a great view of the stage, and I manage my expectations of others. This goes a long way for enjoying the show more.

I am not worried about camping out, waiting for hours on end, I'm just worried about (well assuming there is GA) actually GETTING a GA ticket; it seems like nothing is guaranteed from the presale on U2.com.....

And that being said, if you do get a GA ticket, what happens if you wait in line for hours only to be told that the floor is now full, you were at the cutoff or something.....then you don't have a seat ticket so where do you end up?

I saw 4 shows with GA tickets last time.

This is how early I lined up and what spot in line I had:

7 AM (#23)
6 AM (#21)
6 AM (#69)
10 PM the NIGHT BEFORE (#21)

The last show was insanity, it was the second leg, one of only two shows in Canada.

The problem I encountered also was in places where there were 2 shows in a row - plenty of people would run out of shows #1 and immediately camp out, so that lots of them just stayed outside waiting for tomorrow and it was mayhem in the morning.

It's long, it can be cold and miserable, but you also meet lots of people and generally time passes quickly. If you're lucky, the arena is surrounded by food and bathroom and if you're not, well, lol, it can be bad.

My GA experiences for 3 shows!

Lexington, KY (1st leg) I didn't get there until 5pm or 6 due to my partner picking me up late and having to drive from Mt. Washington, KY. However, our position on the floor was good. Right outside of the heart but not near the tip. However, Kentucky is hot and humid and it was May. I got dizzy and had to leave and thus gave up my spot.

Indianapolis, IN (1st leg) Bono's Birthday show. Not wanting to make the same mistake twice. Got there at 1 pm instead. I think I was around #100. They gave us bands very early after checking out tickets so we could take breaks and mingle. We talked to the people in front and behind us. We were in agreement to save each other spots. I got lucky that nite because I was able to get in front of the heart near the center of the stage. Amazing. I also went to pee and my sister saved my spot. And people let me back in. However, there were some rude fans.

Baltimore, MD (3rd leg) My worst U2 experience. I knew it was going to be bad but not this bad. We arrived at like 1 pm and there was already a huge line. No big deal. Since not too many people in front, still had a chance to get in the heart. Highlight: Meeting the band before the concert, getting autographs.
Not so good: people cutting in line and rumors that there were many GA tix for this show and some were fake. Also, the venue gave out the heart bands with the floor bands. So with the cutting and many of the people with the heart bands heading for the tip of the heart, no luck for me to get in the heart. A guy who I was in line next too did pay the security guard 25 bucks to get the heart and got in. Also, I'm short so being right behind the tip and not next to the ramp sux. The show was awesome but I got elbowed constantly, bad views and had to stand on my tip toes. There were nice people there who took pix for me but some bitch who wasn't even into the concert didn't allow me to get into a space next to her so I could need better. Grrrrrr!

I live in DC now so I don't know how GA concerts I will do if available. GA is a great experience but I'm not the type of person to camp out at midnight. Maybe if a great group of fans got together.

digsy said:

ooh a UK person!

you can help me out please!

so dodgy security aside (and yes you should report it though its a bit late now) what do you reckon is a good time to get to a London concert? as i mentioned way earlier in this post, i've only ever been to a concert in SA which wasnt too stressful tickets and queue wise so i have no idea what to expect in London which i reckon will be a lot more hectic. how early did you get to earls court - am i looking at having to be there really early morning or even overnight bunking on the sidewalk??
i dont care what, i just want to be upfront

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a while!

You should go to the London show/s - as they will probably be at Twickenham there isn't going to be such a panic to get there very very early for a prize spot (we don't even know if they will have a heart-like section this time). The Stadiums in Europe are generally open as general admission so you will have lots of time and space to get settled into. Even if the show was at Earl's Court (I went to 3 gigs on the last tour), you can arrive as late as 10:00 - 11:00 AM and still be in the first 200 in the queue.

I would also suggest you travel to a show in Scotland, Wales or the north of England. These tend to be better than the London gigs and there is a carnival atomsphere in the city thoughout the day which adds to the sense of occasion.

lauren430 said:

And that being said, if you do get a GA ticket, what happens if you wait in line for hours only to be told that the floor is now full, you were at the cutoff or something.....then you don't have a seat ticket so where do you end up?

They only sell a certain amount of GAs, usually the amount allowed by fire codes, etc. Those who have them are ushered on to the floor level. The floor doesn't get "full", no one is turned away.

anitram said:

The problem I encountered also was in places where there were 2 shows in a row - plenty of people would run out of shows #1 and immediately camp out, so that lots of them just stayed outside waiting for tomorrow and it was mayhem in the morning.

:crazy:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
two questions...

a) can you drink?
b) can you leave to take a leak?

all i need to know...

At Indy, we were allowed to bring the bottles of water without the cap (since people have been known to thrown them but hey you could do the same with the bottle) and I left to go visit the ladies room but a) my sister was holding my spot
b) I informed people around me I would be right back and c) I did this during the intermission between PJ Harvey and U2.

If you leave during U2, you will not get your spot back unless you're lucky. I left my spot at Lexington because I was dehydrated and exhausted from standing. And I took those lessons and applied them to the INDY show.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
two questions...

a) can you drink?
b) can you leave to take a leak?

all i need to know...

what skjuls said but I'll add this:
The heart people were free to roam around. They could leave the heart and come back and pretty much get their same spot when they returned. The rest of us, at least the people around me, stayed in the exact same spot from the moment they let us on the floor 'til the moment the show was over. I got the impression that if I were to leave to go get a beverage (and there were plenty of people drinking behind me) or use the restroom, I wouldn't get my spot back. It didn't bother me, really. Just make sure you're hydrated while waiting in line and have your buddy save your spot and find a restroom before the GA line is let in.

And I agree about the leaving during U2 part, but then again, leaving while they're on stage??

I want to add that at INDY I was at the front of the heart. And damn sure was going to keep my spot but I had to go pee. hehe Lucky I had my sister there!

Staying hydrated is key, you guys. Getting dizzy at a U2 concert and not being able to enjoy it to its full potential sux and that was my experience at the Lexington show.

They should have someone selling water to people on the floor or at least hose people down.

Waiting in GA takes forever but I have nothing but fond memories of fellow fans and fun people having a good time.
I have met two of the best people there. Complete strangers in line behind me and now 4 years later we talk once a week even though we are 2 states away.
Proof that U2 fans are good people!

Back
Top Bottom