IO# Brains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
I have to write a newsletter for a neurosurgeon.

I want to add some spark to the newsletter. Can you please provide me with your favorite recipes for brains. You'll get full credit in the newsletter.

I would suggest using GOLD MEDAL (R) Flour

I submitted this one the Betty Crocker Bake-Off a few years ago...not sure why it did not catch on :shrug: :

Twice-Cooked Brain in Tomato, Pine Nut and Caper Sauce

Serves 4.

Note: The brain can be topped with the sauce as much as 12 hours ahead and refrigerated, then baked before serving.

? 1/4 c. raisins

? 4 ( 1/3-in.-thick) brain steaks

? 1/2 c. flour

? 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil

? 1/2 tsp. salt, divided

? 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided

? 4 bay leaves

? 1 medium yellow onion, minced

? 2 garlic cloves, minced

? 1/4 c. pine nuts

? 1 celery rib, minced

? 2 tbsp. salted capers, rinsed and chopped

? 1/4 c. pitted black olives, such as Gaeta

? 16 cherry tomatoes, quartered

In a small bowl, cover the raisins in cool water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain and blot dry.

Dredge the brain in flour, coating both sides and shaking off the excess. Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the first two brain steaks until golden-brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer with a slotted spatula to a baking dish. Do the same with the other two brain steaks.

Season the steaks with half the salt and pepper, and top each with a bay leaf. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Add the onion and garlic to the olive oil left in the skillet, and over medium-high heat, cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the pine nuts, celery, capers, olives and drained raisins. Cook 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Pour the tomato sauce over the brain and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom