Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VII: You Inglourious Little Basterds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, I'd attribute the success of the (first three) Indy movies more to Spielberg than to Lucas, even if Lucas came up with the initial story ideas for all of them. Especially Temple of Doom.

You're not gonna seriously reply to the drunken AM ramblings of GAF, are you?

Really? Obviously Spielberg's "pull back and reveal" style was perfect for this material, and gave it a pop that contributed greatly to how good the film is (however derivative), but it's still Lucas's baby. Didn't you read that story conference? He clearly had the most input. His idea to cast Ford as well, no?

And after Star Wars, you don't think he had the directing chops to have done it himself? I don't think he was necessarily a better fit, but the films would have been "successful" regardless. Imagine those advertisements: "Harrison Ford in a new film from the director of Star Wars!" Come on. Raiders would have made the same amount of money; whether it would have been as good of a film is another discussion entirely.

As for Temple of Doom: no Spielberg, no Capshaw. 'nuff said.

They both had their share of good/terrible ideas in that story conference. I'll backtrack with Raiders and say it was a combination of Spielberg, Lucas, and Kasdan that made that movie work on a technical level. Lucas wasn't against casting Ford because he had already been in two of his previous films. He's quoted as saying that he didn't want Ford to become his "Bobby DeNiro" in the Making Of... on the DVD. It would've been Tom Selleck if it weren't for his CBS contract.

I'm not arguing that the Indy films wouldn't have been good, but that dichotomy of Spielberg as the director and Lucas as the idea man/producer/sometimes B camera guy is perfect.

As for Willie, who else could've played that part? She's a useless character that's given absolutely nothing to do besides the bug scene. That's a failure on Lucas' end, if anything.

I wonder who's idea it was to make Temple of Doom a prequel...

Steven Spielberg wanted Karen Allen to reprise her role as Marion Ravenwood but he and George Lucas had already decided that every movie should include a different woman for Indy. This would change however, when she eventually returned in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008). Spielberg and Lucas felt that enough time had passed that an old flame was more appropriate for the fourth film.

Also, I agree with you that it was the best arrangement for that film. But I still say if you had to name one person who made that franchise a success, it's Lucas.

That's fair, I can agree to disagree about that. Lucas always deserves a hell of a lot of credit for the ideas present in the series, I just think that Spielberg was essential in the focusing and execution of them. Hell, what would've happened if Spielberg was able to do Return of the Jedi? Would the end result have been that terrible?

Have you seen the Young Indy Chronicles?

Also, I agree with you that it was the best arrangement for that film. But I still say if you had to name one person who made that franchise a success, it's Lucas.

But, Laz, you don't have to name one person who made it a success.

It was a collaborative effort and we're all the beneficiaries, especially with the first film.

Hey, I didn't bring it up. YLB just commented that he would attribute the success more to Spielberg, and I disagreed.

Also, I think Jedi would have been nearly as bad. The problems were with the unimaginative plotting and locations, not the imagery. The Vader/Luke/Emperor stuff looks great. Plus, Ford and Fisher were totally out of shape and uninterested. And Ewoks.

And Jedi changed wildly from draft-to-draft. I actually don't mind the idea of the Ewoks and their purpose, it's the execution that's terrible. Same with Willie Scott. Same with Jar Jar.

Also, I think Jedi would have been nearly as bad. The problems were with the unimaginative plotting and locations, not the imagery. The Vader/Luke/Emperor stuff looks great. Plus, Ford and Fisher were totally out of shape and uninterested. And Ewoks.

Agreed.

Sith >>>>> Jedi

I actually didn't know Temple of Doom was a prequel until a few months ago. Probably because... you know, it makes absolutely no difference one way or the other, and it's a baffling piece of trivia that makes no creative sense with hindsight.

I actually didn't know Temple of Doom was a prequel until a few months ago. Probably because... you know, it makes absolutely no difference one way or the other, and it's a baffling piece of trivia that makes no creative sense with hindsight.

All it makes me do is wonder what happened to Short Round.

Looks like a blast... until Johnny Depp shows up with the Captain Jack line.

Man, how weak of an actor does Depp look next to Ledger?

It's so sad.

Film looks a little too digital-busy. Like Star Wars Prequel busy.

So, I don't know, I never knew until this day that Temple of Doom was a prequel. Had no idea.

Also:

I didn't know until this day that it was Barzini all along.

It makes the re-hash of the "using the gun to kill the swordsman" joke even weaker, because it's referencing an event that hasn't even happened yet, and then Ford winks at the camera!

That's almost as bad as Lando pulling his mask down in Jabba's Palace to let the audience know it's him.

Yikes.

So, finished Azkaban and, yeah, just thoroughly loved it from start to finish.

Ugh, that Lando moment is wretched. I'm gonna post this every time we speak of that film:

Sith >>>>> Jedi

Man, how weak of an actor does Depp look next to Ledger?

It's so sad.

I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly, though it's not like we really get to compare the two together much just from this trailer. I'll wait until we see the full film before ranting about how much Ledger pwns Depp in the same role.

I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly, though it's not like we really get to compare the two together much just from this trailer. I'll wait until we see the full film before ranting about how much Ledger pwns Depp in the same role.

Will you rant about something else in the interim? Please?

And Colin Farrell, and Jude Law.

The Lady Friend and I just watched Road to Perdition. Motherfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom