Interference, please decide my life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
I can't decide what to major in or what career I want, so I figured I'd ask an internet message board.

Here are my choices

1) Double Major Latin/Classical Civilizations major - become a professor of mythology or some tight shit like that
have to learn greek which has its own alphabet, wtf srsly
and I have to know Latin, like, super well
be in school for eleventy billion years (PhD)
but then
get a pretty sweet gig where I make good dough and tell people about stuff that I like for a living
all of my classes are currently for this major
2) Major in either Biotechnology or Microbiology - become a Medical Technologist and run cool tests
have to take a BUNCH of chemistry ... what's a proton again?
don't have to go to graduate school really, just need to take a zillion undergrad courses and do clinical training...would probably take at least 5 years to graduate from undergrad
make decent money, but probably not as much as a prof
help people and do something that is interesting to me
zero of my classes are for this major and I decided I wanted to do this like two days ago, BUT I was pre-med for awhile, so it's not totally random

what would you do interference?

or rather, what would Space Moon do?

Nobody can decide your life, you have to choose that yourself.

And just a fyi. Chemistry rules. It's awesome. The only part that sucks is the maths.

:whistle: I'm not a chemistry student or anything.

GG's right, you can only choose the thing YOU like best. And it's both totally different majors, to be quite honest... You can't just decide 1 or 2, you should think about what you like best, what you think will be the career chances, and of course where your interests are. Don't think this advice will help you much, but then again, it's something.

I agree. You can only make the choice of your future. What ever interests you the most is probably the safest bet.

As someone who went to school for eleventy billion years to get a PhD, I can say it's definitely possible, though it takes a lot of hard work. It's tough to get into grad school, and once you're there, you won't make much money and will have people constantly telling you how bleak the job market is. If you choose to take this path, do it because you really love the material and not because you want to make money, because the money doesn't come until later. Even now, with the PhD, I don't have a permanent teaching job (a constant source of stress, because I also have eleventy billion dollars in student loans), and while I'm doing okay financially, I won't be living like a rock star for awhile yet :wink:

Before you decide to radically shift gears and go into science, I'd encourage you to take a few classes and make sure that's really what you want to do. Even if it's not, chances are they'll fill a gen. ed. requirement of some sort. Many colleges make their intro-level bio and chem classes for majors hellishly difficult to weed out students who can't hack it or aren't really serious. Also, while it isn't absolutely necessary, you may find that it would improve your job prospects. Chances are, to get a really good job with only a B.S., you'll need to have excellent internships and lab/research experience, and those kinds of things are often very competitive. I'm not sure how big your school is, but you'll want to check into those possibilities sooner rather than later. I think the biggest mistake a lot of undergrads make, no matter what their major is, is to wait until the last minute to get an internship, and that makes it harder for them to find a job in their field after they graduate.

Neither path is going to be easy (nothing that's ever really worht having is...omg, I sound like my mom...), and the others who have responded here are right when they say that ultimately it's up to you. If your advisor is any good, I'd suggest talking to him or her, or else possibly talk with some professors in both departments for some guidance. I'm guessing you might be facing a deadline to declare a major, but remember--you can always change it down the road if you realize it's not what you want to do.

Good luck!

My best friend does Biotechnology. I you like hanging out all day in the laboratory you should do it...

I'd go for 1), only because I've always loved Classics and Latin and I wish that's the degree I'd opted for instead of what I picked :|

... So, I'll live vicariously through you if you do it :lol:

Shit, you like 2 subjects I like. :hmm:

Well, I did classical civilisation and biology at A Level...

PERSONALLY, Id go biology way. Id go with whatever you're more comfortable with, and are best at. :up:

Do whatever you're passionate about, if either of these choices are it for you. Or follow BonIsMyMuse's advice. Definitely try & talk to an advisor. Perhaps maybe teachers in those fields...

Good luck!

Chances are, to get a really good job with only a B.S., you'll need to have excellent internships and lab/research experience, and those kinds of things are often very competitive. I'm not sure how big your school is, but you'll want to check into those possibilities sooner rather than later. I think the biggest mistake a lot of undergrads make, no matter what their major is, is to wait until the last minute to get an internship, and that makes it harder for them to find a job in their field after they graduate.

Very good advice...I actually already have some lab experience. I worked in a psych lab where (strangely) I took samples from rat vaginas...yeah, really. But it was cool, cuz I got to look at them under the microscope and interpret the cells. And I also started doing some cell cultures which was really cool. the only thing I didn't like was when I had to start killing the rats...decapitating a rat is not fun. And it got worse cuz I had to cut up the uterus and tie knots around tiny little pieces with forceps (which is very hard to do...no hands allowed) and tie those pieces to hooks...um...it was nuts. But the research was really interesting. It's the fact that it makes me go "wow, this is so cool!" that makes me want to do more of it. On the other hand, I don't know if it plays to my strengths. If I have to tie a bunch of knots with forceps and kill rats that probably isn't the job for me. I might see if I can work in the lab again and just do cell cultures or something.

I've taken one bio class but it was mostly about evolution... not a requirement for Microbiology or Biotechnology.

Thanks for the advice guys, any further perspectives are appreciated. I don't think I'm gonna change my schedule this semester, because classes are pretty much filled up anyway, but I might see if I can take some science classes during the summer. If I do switch to science I'll have to be in undergrad for longer than I'd planned, but I suppose if it's really what i want to do its worth it eh?

I would go for 1. But......

I was going through this dilemma last year, although I'm only a freshman in college I wanted to know what I would do in life.
First, which one would you enjoy the most doing for the rest of your life? And you always have to think what kind of lifestyle you want aka $$$$$$$$
Ultimately its up to you. Good luck. Its such a hard decision.

Chances are, to get a really good job with only a B.S., you'll need to have excellent internships and lab/research experience, and those kinds of things are often very competitive. hat you want to do.

I think it depends on your definition of "a really good job" - according to mine, there really are not many, maybe any of these.

I left this field because without a PhD you are very much at a dead end. Even an MS is of limited use, most people who were lifelong techs got an MA because it gave them better bargaining power and better salaries, not because it really opened up many doors.

You have to ask yourself what it is you want to do. If you want to do bench research your entire life, then you need to go well beyond a BS unless you're happy doing basic experiments for $40-50K/year. If you want to do something clinical, like blood testing, etc, then a BS is more than sufficient, although some places require additional qualifications or courses or diplomas.

Ultimately ask yourself what makes you happier at the end of the day and where you could see yourself in 20 years. Only you have to live with your choice, so it has to be yours and yours alone.

I wouldn't worry too much about being in school for many years - in this economy it's more and more common. Heaven knows it took me a few years to get to where I am today!

what would you do interference?

Neither.

But that's me.

You are going to have to sit down and really evaluate your options and what means the most and would be the best for you.

It's the Space Moon way.

Well, probably not, but it sounded right.

It doesn't matter. I just checked with Caesar and it looks like you don't need a long term plan.

892cap012.jpg

Have you been to your advisor or career counselor? Both have all sorts of assessments that can help you realize your strengths, goals, etc. Most importantly you will learn about yourself, and that's a good thing. Most of these assessments are free too. I took some, and they helped me a lot.

HOWEVER...

I want to add that I majored in one thing in undergrad, did completely unrelated work, then volunteered, then went to a master's program that was also unrelated to my undergrad, work, and volunteer experience. now I'm in a doctoral program that is completely unrelated to anything else I've done in the past. You know what though? I've got no regrets. Each experience led me to the next in their own way. I've got quite a resume with a variety of experiences that make me unique to anyone else in my field.

Major in whatever the fuck you want, because, let's be honest, your life may end up taking you elsewhere anyway.

Best of luck. UNGH! C'MON!!!

Advisor? Career counselor? To find out about yourself?

In my day if you wanted to find out about yourself you jumped off a bridge, or tried cocaine, or played spunky biscuit, or joined the army. These days you go ask someone to tell you about yourself.

FFS.

In my day if you wanted to find out about yourself you jumped off a bridge, or tried cocaine, or played spunky biscuit, or joined the army. These days you go ask someone to tell you about yourself.

FFS.

STFU.

Not all of us can crawl into our little fucking tent and commune with the animal spirits.

Thoughtless prick.

Have you been to your advisor or career counselor? Both have all sorts of assessments that can help you realize your strengths, goals, etc. Most importantly you will learn about yourself, and that's a good thing. Most of these assessments are free too. I took some, and they helped me a lot.

HOWEVER...

I want to add that I majored in one thing in undergrad, did completely unrelated work, then volunteered, then went to a master's program that was also unrelated to my undergrad, work, and volunteer experience. now I'm in a doctoral program that is completely unrelated to anything else I've done in the past. You know what though? I've got no regrets. Each experience led me to the next in their own way. I've got quite a resume with a variety of experiences that make me unique to anyone else in my field.

Major in whatever the fuck you want, because, let's be honest, your life may end up taking you elsewhere anyway.

Best of luck. UNGH! C'MON!!!

This is a great post, to me. And, the contents are 100% the opposite of the path I've taken.....but, despite our being at opposite ends of the spectrum, Mia and I both have no regrets and are happy with where we're at. So, there is no right way to do things, no wrong way, etc....the way that best suits you.

So, the best advice I can give is that you ought to do what you feel most passionate about. That might seem trite, but, there are so many variables that lie ahead for you that will impede or speed your progress, things you just cannot predict or account for, that you might as well just pursue that which gets you the most amped up.

Either way, good luck with your decision.

FFS.

STFU.

Not all of us can crawl into our little fucking tent and commune with the animal spirits.

Thoughtless prick.

For Fuckin Reals.
Look out for my GFY smoke signal comin' at ya.

I will acknowledge though, that your method of self discovery led you to Hamburger University where you were made president of Beta Eta Fry, and are now the fastest, illest fry cook on the West Siiiiiiiiide!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom