Inside Broadcast VII: An Ode To The Permabanned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobl, I see no reason why we couldn't get an Unpopular Musical Opinions 2.1 going. Go for it. By all accounts, the storm appears to be weathered. And it was a good thread.

Is that Mrs. Garrison with you?

That was one hell of a Texas/OU Weekend!

There are probably plenty of folks who haven't caught on yet, so it's a pretty easy mistake to make.

just in defence of the holding tank. ideally, there would be no need for a holding tank because everyone would have the self control to be quiet. but people (at least, me) don't always work that way. i'm all for getting reasonable disputes handed in good time and maturely, but sometimes there's no cause or way to deal with someone who's pissing you off, and there's some satisfaction and relief in being able to say something, somewhere. it's the interference equivalent of going off and yelling at an empty room. it's when people start they've had a post directed at them in there (but hell, if you're thinking that it's possible you deserve it, lol) and get pissy about it that problems develop. but that goes back to what i said earlier, just send them a pm and have it out.

i still think the holding tank has a place in the forum, to be honest.

just in defence of the holding tank. ideally, there would be no need for a holding tank because everyone would have the self control to be quiet. but people (at least, me) don't always work that way. i'm all for getting reasonable disputes handed in good time and maturely, but sometimes there's no cause or way to deal with someone who's pissing you off, and there's some satisfaction and relief in being able to say something, somewhere. it's the interference equivalent of going off and yelling at an empty room. it's when people start they've had a post directed at them in there (but hell, if you're thinking that it's possible you deserve it, lol) and get pissy about it that problems develop. but that goes back to what i said earlier, just send them a pm and have it out.

The holding tank is the worst thing on the forum. If you honestly think no one has any clue who or what you're talking about in those posts, you're sadly mistaken.

Yeah, I'm glad that I found this thread and read the last couple of pages. It's probably no surprise that I agree with Impy here, and he stated his case more eloquently than I could've at this point. There have been occasions where I've been rude or poked fights with people beyond the usual sarcastic ribbing, and that probably wasn't the best thing to do, to say the least. I'm glad that I've been able to stick around this place for the last 5 years (Holy shit) and get to know a good group of people. So yeah, naturally, it may seem exclusive if I, or some others, spout off lines from Star Wars, Heat, or something else, but I'm not aiming to exclude anyone from a conversation, you know? In any given thread, things get discussed, feelings may get hurt, especially in regard to personal taste, but yeah, that's life. Maybe I should be more polite in how I address people sometimes, but I'm not one to sugar-coat something just to come off as a nicer dude. That being said, I'm here to have a good time, but wouldn't want to do it at the expense of others' enjoyment; I think most people who have talked to me one-on-one would attest to that.

If anyone does take any issue with any of my actions, I'm glad to discuss it with them privately or something, as opposed to being asked to be in a real-life fist fight. If anything, this whole situation would've been a lot less messy (albeit less entertaining), if things were tackled head-on and in a respectful manner. So yeah, that's all I can think to say right now.

The holding tank is the worst thing on the forum. If you honestly think no one has any clue who or what you're talking about in those posts, you're sadly mistaken.

but that goes back to what i said earlier, just send them a pm and have it out.

like i said, it's for shit that isn't worth getting banned over but is still worth saying something. yeah, it's not the most mature thought process, but jesus. and if you think it's about you or someone else, pm and ask. i'd bet if more people did this most of the times people got indignant wouldn't even happen. it's also probably the sole reason i can still post in the tour forum.

i can see the criticism, i just think it's better this way then having raging personal attacks all over the place, or people bottling up an annoyance.

It reeks of passive-aggressive cowardice.

I don't see why blatant flaming of other members is permitted. Just because it's behind their back or ostensibly anonymous doesn't make it OK. In fact, I think that makes it worse.

It reeks of passive-aggressive cowardice.

I don't see why blatant flaming of other members is permitted. Just because it's behind their back or ostensibly anonymous doesn't make it OK. In fact, I think that makes it worse.
i'm really, really not surprised to see you chiming in now. i'd like to think, however, that you know that if i actually have a problem with you i'd actually say something to your face. a fact that has been evidenced more than a few times in the last few months.

If anyone does take any issue with any of my actions, I'm glad to discuss it with them privately or something, as opposed to being asked to be in a real-life fist fight. If anything, this whole situation would've been a lot less messy (albeit less entertaining), if things were tackled head-on and in a respectful manner. So yeah, that's all I can think to say right now.

Exactly. Had Zoots talked with those involved, rather than talking at them, or talking around them (as he did in his more passive-aggressive moments), he would still be here. If someone says something you find offensive, harmful, or batshit insane...well, I have something of a system set up:

Poster: Buddy
Response: Hahahhaha what the fuck, you OK?

Poster: Total stranger
Response: Take post apart, receive kudos for doing the easiest task of your life

Poster: Troll
Response: Find relevant pic online, copy/paste

Poster: Buddy
Response: Resolve in PM with the person

Poster: Total stranger
Response: :corn:

Poster: Troll
Response: Discuss this with mods in PM, rather than telling them they fail at their job on the open forum

This is how I've lasted all these years at Interference without getting banned, in spite of it all.

i'm really, really not surprised to see you chiming in now. i'd like to think, however, that you know that if i actually have a problem with you i'd actually say something to your face. a fact that has been evidenced more than a few times in the last few months.

I'm not talking about anything specific between you and I. My point is general. I do not see why posts that would be against the rules on any other thread are permitted in that one. I do not see why other members should be made to feel as if they are being watched and criticised by the people who post in the Holding Tank. It makes people feel unwelcome posting on Interference, and that, to me, is undeniably a bad and unproductive thing for the forum.

Exactly. Had Zoots talked with those involved, rather than talking at them, or talking around them (as he did in his more passive-aggressive moments), he would still be here.

It didn't help that he was pretty off-base.

I'm not talking about anything specific between you and I. My point is general. I do not see why posts that would be against the rules on any other thread are permitted in that one. I do not see why other members should be made to feel as if they are being watched and criticised by the people who post in the Holding Tank. It makes people feel unwelcome posting on Interference, and that, to me, is undeniably a bad and unproductive thing for the forum.

the average person who's reading the holding tank is probably not going to be 50/50 about sticking around on interference. i personally think a vague post largely directed at thin air when it's not worth a big confrontation is better than the alternative of it ending up in a thread where anyone who isn't interested in reading the holding tank will also see it.

it's tenuous, but i like it. i won't freak out if a new one doesn't get started at 1000, but i really don't think it's a problem.

Guys, let's come down to earth for a sec and be real.

Most of the people who feel attacked are long time members. We know or have even been told what bugs them and what gets a rise out of them. Yet we still twist the blade, make jokes that the other person has repeatedly asked to stop or even curse that person out publicly.

Yet, we want that person to respectfully take it up in a PM? Cmon. Seriously. Let's take some personal responsibility here. Some of us could use a bit of change in how we speak to each other, and note us includes me and it's something I continue to work on. I can admit that without compromising my "blue crack persona" or whatever, and I don't need a PM from someone to tell me, I can feel it when I'm getting a bit too rude. I'd like to think that you chaps are fairly intelligent perceptive people also. I don't think anyone has a problem with good-natured ribbing between friends. It's when the ribbing crosses the line into disrespect, name calling and cursing the person out..someone who you don't even know, really...well then what type of response do you expect? A respectful private PM about the matter? Cmon. Here's an idea, and it would go along way to showing that you are sincere about what you are saying in this thread: instead of waiting on that PM..think of a couple people you've been rude to or fought with in the past, and you shoot them a PM and maybe even express apology if you can acknowledge that you went too far.

We can all moderate ourselves a bit too. Sometimes (as I continue to remind myself) the first witty rejoinder that comes to mind isn't the best answer and causes more harm than good...and you know what? In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't even really even need to be said...

I somewhat often post in the Tank, but I hate its guts. I just do it because it's there. I don't see the point. I feel like a real pussy in there and I've gone in there seeing posts that are quite blatantly aimed at certain people. I'm not gonna name names, they've been all over the place - shit, I've done it before, myself - but if you know the board, you can quite often read a post and think wow, Thingo here's got no balls, if they said that in the relevant thread, they'd really get the ban-aid. I just think its run its course. Ian, you're perfectly right in thinking that technically, people can post a PM to inquire about a post, but how often does that really happen? It'd just be a lot easier to get rid of the thread altogether, frankly. Plus, it doesn't really help the forum an iota, you know? It's just a miserable, bitchy thread for moaning.

Now, as for Zoots, I'm not going to go there too far. I could see where he was coming from, but I've learned a good thing to do is just ignore things you don't like on a forum and get on with your life. I haven't perfected that art yet, but I'll get there one day. Zoots came into that thread without brakes, though. He did what he thought he needed to do, he just did it in a shitty way. Still, I'll play Jon Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" in his honour today nonetheless.

As far as Shuttlecock goes, I don't really care - being part of a clique with a lot of bad in-jokes is something I'm well familiar with myself, so I have no problem with other people doing it. I do understand it frustrates a lot of other posters here, though. I hope to see some kind of an agreement level made between the different sides. I doubt it's as difficult as some folk make it out to be. It tends to just soften down naturally, anyway.

So, uh, yeah.

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian, you're perfectly right in thinking that technically, people can post a PM to inquire about a post, but how often does that really happen? It'd just be a lot easier to get rid of the thread altogether, frankly. Plus, it doesn't really help the forum an iota, you know? It's just a miserable, bitchy thread for moaning.

this is true. it's extremely rare for anyone to pm about any problem.

i will grant the thread is immature and not healthy, i don't think (i hope) i've pretended otherwise. but i'm going to side on the thing that's stopped me being banned more often than not.

i've never even really noticed it's existence (i never look in OOC beyond the superthread) but i had a bit of a look today, and that is just pathetic. i don't mean to offend anyone, but my god, what a ridiculously idiotic thread.

if people are getting that angry and worked up, get up off your computer seat, go outside, take a breath of fresh air, scull a beer, have a smoke, ring someone.

i will grant the thread is immature and not healthy, i don't think (i hope) i've pretended otherwise. but i'm going to side on the thing that's stopped me being banned more often than not.

If that's the case, perhaps you should seriously reevaluate some of your posts on the board, rather than potentially get yourself banned, and find a bit of self control instead of continuing in making a habit of using the Tank.

[I hope that doesn't come off as mean or preachy, and it's not directly aimed at you].

is there really a need to bring up the tank here? it seems to me that the people involved (zoots, people who supposedly PM'd him, and people they were upset with) didn't (or if they did, rarely) even use it. i don't think it played a role in what led up to this banning.

I didn't mean in UYMFA, actually. I meant pretty much exactly Tiger Edge, Galeongirl, and indra did within the last couple of pages.

Just wanted to clarify that I 100% do not agree with Zoots's last post, and I do think it was a mistake and asking for a ban.

What I just noticed over the past few months is that B&C has become 'cluttered'. Whether it's you guys joking around or other people, I keep getting a bad feeling from that place now no thread can stay good for more than a few pages without getting derailed by a bunch of random comments. That's the problem I have, all the derailing and, intended or not, trolling is really getting out of hand.

I chose to avoid the threads entirely, rather than sulk over it like Zoots did. :shrug: The choices you make affect your life in more than one way I guess...

Oh and I do appreciate what Sicy does here, I can understand it's really hard to do a thankless job like this for nothing.

I for one salute this banning. That guy was the biggest douche ever. Always bullying people non-stop with his high-horse, stuck-up "90s über alles" obsession. Props to the mods for this. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom