In the maze of her imagination - pt 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Hi everyone :)

Disclaimer - never happened...will never happen!

Gioia opened her eyes sleepily. A sound jolted her into full wakefulness. Was that a rooster?? The sun was bright and it lit up the room. She stretched, feeling completely rejuvenated. She had never slept so well or so deeply. She sat up and threw her legs over the side of the bed. She sat there for a moment, trying to get her bearings.

Suddenly she sat up straight and rigid and her eyes widened. She knew where she was! And who she was with!!!! She closed her eyes tightly and took a deep breath. She slowly turned, opened one eye, and peeked over her left shoulder. Her breath caught.

Bono was lying on his stomach facing her. This would’ve been fine except he had kicked the covers off of him. This would’ve been fine except he had, at some point during the night, removed his briefs! He was now treating Gioia to an uninhibited view of his beautiful backside.

Gioia couldn’t take her eyes off of him. His hair was mussed and dark against the white pillow. His eyes were closed in sleep. His chiseled jaw was slightly shadowed. His lips were relaxed in sleep and his lower lip was jutting forward slightly in an irresistible pout. His arms were wrapped around one large pillow and she admired the flexed muscles under his lean shoulders, back, and arms.

Her eyes traveled back to his firm, smooth, buttocks. Dear Lord, how she wanted to touch him! She noticed that his knee was raised so that he was slightly on his side. Gioia’s heart hammered a furious beat. He was lying on his stomach. He was naked. That meant that his belly was pressed against the bed. His belly and his---

“Good morning”.

Gioia’s eyes shot up to his face. He had been watching her!

“Did you sleep well, Gioia?” His voice was husky with early morning hoarseness. Her skin warmed to the sound of her name laced with his Irish brogue.

“I –uh-yes. I slept well. I haven’t slept that well in weeks. You?” She said it all in one breath as she focused on a point in the headboard above his tousled hair.

He smiled, taking in her attempt to hide what she had been doing a few moments before. “Very well. So good, in fact, that I didn’t feel you remove my underwear”.

What!!! Appalled, Gioia, instantly turned away from him. “I did not!”

He chuckled deeply. She could feel him getting up. In her mind’s eye she could picture him standing there. Naked and magnificent. Then she felt him pull the sheet from the bed.

“I’m decent now, you can turn around”.

Gioia slowly turned around. He had wrapped the sheet around his hips and knotted it.

“Do you think our hosts would mind if I walked out of this room dressed this way?” He asked with a devilish gleam in his eye.

“I’m sure Madeline wouldn’t mind.” She blurted.

Bono raised an eyebrow at her. He started looking for his clothes. He couldn’t find them. The pile he left them in was gone!

There was a quick knock at the door and in her usual way, Madeline just walked in.

“I heard noise in here and I knew you were up”.

Gioia and Bono looked at each other and then back at their host. She was straightening up the room. She stopped and looked at Gioia .

“That pretty nightgown looks lovely on you. You should take it with you”.

Gioia smiled shyly. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Bono look her over. The nightgown was simple pale yellow billowy cotton that fell to her ankles. The sleeves were long to her wrist. But the neckline would’ve bared her to the waist if it weren’t for the ribbon that laced up the front. Her skin tingled knowing that she had been in bed with Bono wearing the flimsy creation. She knew that during the night the gown had hiked up to her waist. Even though they had not slept near each other, knowing that she had been half naked in bed with him made her pulse race.

Madeline started walking out the door. “I’ll have water brought in so you can wash up. Make it snappy because I will have breakfast ready for you. Oh by the way, your clothes are drying on the line. I came in earlier to get them”.

She gave Bono a little wink before she closed the door behind her.

Funny, Gioia was more embarrassed than Bono was.

Gioia was getting dressed. Madeline had water for another bath brought in by two servants. She didn’t even care that the water was cool, as long as she would be able to bathe before hitting the road again.

Bono had left the room at that time, still wrapped in the sheet! Gioia turned red with embarrassed but Madeline was completely tickled, obviously already smitten with the charming man.
Madeline had given Gioia her clothes back, except for her ruined shirt, which was stained beyond help. She was also given a beautiful blouse. She cooed and gave Madeline a hug. The woman smiled happily and murmured softly that the blouse had belonged to someone dear to her. She kissed her on the cheek before she left Gioia to her privacy.

She looked at what Madeline had given her and wondered to whom they had belonged. Her overactive imagination took over and she tried to fight tears as she pictured a young daughter that perhaps was no longer around.

That’s how Bono found her a few minutes later. Dressed but her face tear streaked. He frowned in concern.

“What has happened?”

She sniffed a bit and shook her head. “See what Madeline gave me to wear?” She stood up to show off her new blouse.
It was a long sleeved pale blue poet’s blouse trimmed in navy blue embroidery at the neckline. Under it, Gioia was wearing an almost sheer camisole. Gioia had eyed the pretty undergarment but hadn’t wanted to wear it because of its lack of support and its sheerness. But she found that she had to since the black bra she had been wearing would’ve been completely inappropriate. After she put the clothing on, she felt naked and exposed, but exhilaratingly female.

Now, under Bono’s appreciative gaze, she knew that she had made the right decision. She had held her breath until she saw his eyes smile in admiration.

“You look beautiful”. The compliment made Gioia glow. And in Bono’s opinion, she had every right to. He looked her over and was pleased with what he saw. Her hair, new washed, was shiny and silky. Her lovely face had a slight blush from his attention and her lips held a bit of gloss. He noticed that she had put her navy chinos and hikers back on which he thought had been a wise choice. The blouse looked beautiful on her.
He walked over to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She looked wide-eyed at him when he reached up and brushed an errant tear off of her cheek with the soft pad of his thumb. “Why were you crying”?

Gioia shrugged. “It’s silly. I was wondering where these clothes came from and I wondered if maybe they belonged to a daughter that is not longer with them”.

Bono smiled. He had never known anyone so unashamedly sweet. Leave it to her to feel pity for people she had just met. He nodded to her and drew her into a hug.

“Yes. They lost their daughter.” He said solemnly.

Gioia gasped.

“To a wealthy young man from the next county.”

With a scowl, Gioia pushed him away and walked out of the room, still hearing Bono’s chuckling all the way down the hall.

After they had breakfast with the Wareings, they were ready to hit the road. Gioia had packed up the nightgown that Madeline had given her. She had also given her some pretty ribbon for her hair and a few other necessities. Gioia gave the woman a big hug and a kiss. They both knew that they may never see each other again.

Madeline had also packed some provisions in a sack for Bono, who pulled the leather strap across his chest so the sack sat comfortably on his back. Gioia eyed it curiously, convinced that they were no longer where they had started this journey a few days ago. And based on how Bono accepted the sack and everything else that he had witnessed last night in the cottage, she was pretty sure that he knew something. He must’ve received some information last night while she had been getting ready for bed. He would tell her eventually, she was sure of it. Why she wasn’t afraid or nervous, she wasn’t certain.

They said their goodbyes and started out. They walked in silence. Bono had told Gioia that Thornton had created a map for them. That was it. No other details. Bono seemed preoccupied so Gioia didn’t push him for conversation.

Despite the knowledge that she had no idea what was going on, Gioia felt extraordinarily happy this morning. This was more than she could’ve dreamed of. She was sure that when they parted company, Bono would remember her. That’s all she had ever wanted. To meet him, talk with him and possibly leave him with a lasting impression. Of course, that was all she could’ve ever had hoped for given the fact that he was astoundingly famous.

Bono was not as cheerful. He wanted to tell her what he was told last night. He didn’t know how. He wasn’t sure he understood it himself. For once in his life, he was at a loss. He had addressed world leaders. Had been presented to the Pope. Had spoken before graduating classes, and traveled the world for his music and his causes. All that and he still could not figure out how to get out of this predicament, nor could he explain it to one woman. He had to admit to himself, he was out of his element.

“Bono?” Came Gioia’s soft voice a step behind him.

“Hmmm?”

“What happened to your leather jacket?” Gioia noticed that he only had on his black buttoned down shirt, black pants, and boots that he had on since the concert, albeit now clean, thanks to Madeline. His hair, dark and damp, was tucked behind his ears. The provisions sack was tossed over his shoulder and the leather band cut across his chest like a guitar strap. He looked so handsome to her that her breath caught.

“Thornton liked it so much that I gifted him with it.” Bono’s voice sounded strange. Gioia thought she could detect bitterness. She thought it was such a kind gesture on his part that she quickly dismissed the notion that he may have been upset about the jacket. It would’ve been completely out of character.

Bono was upset, but not about the jacket. Before they left, Thornton pressed some coins into Bono’s hand. Bono had felt ashamed. For over 20 years he had never felt financially helpless. It had been easy parting with the jacket. He wished he could’ve given more to repay their hospitality. He had nothing of value to give to them. And it stuck in his craw knowing that he would never be able to repay them.

He was also upset because he was struggling with himself. He didn’t know how to tell Gioia about their circumstances. He didn’t know how to tell her that he didn’t know what he was doing. That he couldn’t plan ahead. He was surprised that she hadn’t questioned him. He wondered what she was thinking. He knew that she had to have noticed that they were no longer in Brazil. F*ck! No longer in the 21st century for all he knew. He just had to find the right time to tell her.

After walking for a bit, they reached a fork in the road. Their eyes were drawn to a sign.

Temuir or Crúachu

Bono cleared his throat uncomfortably and pulled the map out of the sack. All the while he could feel Gioia’s eyes on him. Burning into him. He looked up at the sign and then down at the map---back up to the sign.

He cleared his throat again. “Um… we need to go that way”, he said softly, pointing to the left. To Temuir. Silence. No response.

He turned to Gioia and met her eyes.

Gioia blinked at him. “Is there something you’d like to discuss with me?”

Bono took a deep breath and nodded.

A few minutes later they were sitting under a beautiful picturesque willow tree. Gioia would’ve thought it a perfect setting to spend with the most attractive man she’d ever met, if only she could’ve enjoyed its serenity. Instead she was sitting tense, feeding off of Bono’s apprehension. She was nervous. Bono was nervous. It couldn’t be good.

He took her hands in his and squeezed gently. He breathed in deeply and exhaled loudly.

“Ok, here goes. Obviously we’re no longer in Brazil.” She nodded. “Ok, so you’ve noticed that. The fact is we’re no longer in the 21st Century. I think.”

Gioia stared at him in disbelief. “You think??”

“Well look at the Wareings’ cottage, for instance. It looked like something from the past. Well, maybe not the past but definitely not the 21st century.”

“What??”

Bono looked pointedly at the necklace around her neck. “The necklace. The necklace transported us here.”

“What???”

“Thornton explained the power of the necklace and what we must do”.

“What??????”

“Jaysus!! You’re not making this easy for me Gioia!” He stood up and started pacing. “You think I’m making this sh*t up?”

“I’m sorry, but I’m not understanding. How could this neck—“She then remembered how she felt when she had found the necklace. She remembered how soon after their surroundings had changed and then they came upon the cottage. Bono was watching her closely. He ran his hand through his hair.

Bono was watching her closely as she struggled to wrap her mind around what he was saying. He ran his hand through his hair.

“That necklace is the talisman belonging to Aine, a Celtic goddess. She considers it stolen and must be returned to her – or else.”

Of course! There was the obvious explanation.

“Celtic goddess? A goddess!!?? As in mythology? Are you saying that she’s a real person? She exists?” Bono let her rant. “And what does or else mean?” Gioia breathed. “Or else what?”

Bono shook his head. “I don’t know. All I know is what Thornton told me. She’s real. Not just a myth. The necklace has to be returned to the shrine of Leanan Sidhe. Hence the map.” He took it out and tossed it to her.

She unfolded it with shaking fingers. She looked at it and frowned.

“Bono?” She questioned him, looking at his tense face. “This map makes no sense.” She looked back down at it. “This is no map at all!”

It was a hand-drawn picture of the land with no measurements or labels. There was also a list of instructions done in the form of riddles or clues. She didn’t stop to count the instructions but there were many of them, filling the parchment from top to bottom. From the looks of it, they had only passed the first instruction at the fork in the road.

“Bono. This map has no sense of time or direction!”

He didn’t say anything. It was as if Thornton purposely stayed away from definite directions. As if he was afraid of being involved.

“Are you sure Thornton wanted to help us?”

Bono pursed his lips and a muscle flicked in his cheek.

“How long do you think this will take us?”

“I don’t know”. He replied, walking away. Gioia felt his frustration.

“How much time do we have, Bono?” Her voice now held a nervous tone instead of frustrated.

He turned and caught the fear in her eyes.

“I don’t know”.

:wave: Til tomorrow my friends

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom