In Response to Fake U2 News Stories Posted By Members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mofo82

Refugee
I realized tonight that if senior members of this forum can post illegitmate setlist parties and waste the time of many honest users, that I too can actually say something against this. This is not a private forum where a few people should be allowed to purposely set up a situation and dupe others into spending their valuable time to guess if there is truth to there immature posts. Members, including myself, have had to spend time weeding through numerous topics started by senior members of this forum, and I'm tired of it, as others are too. Part of my night was wasted by childish lies and stories that even my 4 year-old niece who has imaginary friends couldn't create.

I come to this forum and don't expect it to be run by the inmates, especially the ones who don't appreciate the respect they have when they offer so much, then pull off hoaxes like the "U2 at Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein right now" thread. It's a really shitty power play by the starter of the thread because he has done so much U2 research that people bow down to his database of knowledge??? Screw that. There seriously needs to be a private place to take these kinds of intentional fiction topics to. In my opinion, the starter of the thread should have posted in 'Dream Out Loud'. "Everything You Know Is Wrong" is "the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2", as the heading states.

Last edited:
Mate, read our replies in the other thread.

You got fooled. Don't get fooled again. Move on.

It was fun for most involved. Why take it so seriously?

It's not like "FIRE" was shouted in a crowded theatre. No one was in any danger.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on you.

Fool me thrice, I'm going to make a thread about it.

I can laugh at things like everyone else. I've been on this forum for 5 years. In the last few months, there's been more and more of these story-based threads that people like myself have to get through to eventually find out it's not real at all. This one didn't take that long, but it's getting really old really quick. These stories don't belong on this part of the forum. Bottom line. If I'm wrong, let the Mods tell me that, and I'm completely misunderstood by this layout of this place.

COBL_04 said:
If you want an example of when you could rightly get angry, check out Fake Edge. This is water off a duck's back compared to that.

Understood, but it doesn't make it right or any less aggrivating.

Re: Re: In Response to Fake U2 News Stories Posted By Members

the tourist said:
It's not like "FIRE" was shouted in a crowded theatre. No one was in any danger.

Are you referring to the same theater that the benefit concert was held earlier? Great show. :|

COBL_04 said:
Mate, read our replies in the other thread.

You got fooled. Don't get fooled again. Move on.

It was fun for most involved. Why take it so seriously?

You know why we are pissed about this kind of thing. It's in the wrong place. Period. I'm not in the general posts and discussions area to read 5th grade material.

mofo82 said:

You know why we are pissed about this kind of thing. It's in the wrong place. Period. I'm not in the general posts and discussions area to read 5th grade material.

You know what?

I'm neutral here, ok? I can see why you might be upset, I can also see why some would find this funny. I don't really care about who is right or wrong here.

But, you're whining like the very 5th graders you refer to so often to demonstrate your points. And, if the thread was akin to a 5th grader's work, why the fuck did it take you so long to figure it out?

You've voiced your displeasure; at this point, why not either PM the mods or e-mail the mods or just go to sleep?

Re: Re: Re: In Response to Fake U2 News Stories Posted By Members

mofo82 said:

Are you referring to the same theater that the benefit concert was held earlier? Great show. :|

No. I'm not. But really swell of you to think of it. :up:

This already has its own thread, but I think it'd be best to post it in here too. This apology is from those of us involved who are still online.

We feel bad that this was believed for so long and that people have taken personal offence to an innocent joke. We plotted this in the open in recently active threads all over the forum, and we thought that various clues like Liechtenstein coming up on Google as being double-landlocked, the fact that it was 3am there, in an art museum, and the Save the Whalers charity would be obvious clues. Furthermore the setlist, while fabulous (thanks for the compliments), was full of clues that it was fake from the very beginning when 11OTT and UF were played, to the obvious Flower Child. Also, Axver started the thread but U2VT and all other notable U2 setlist and news websites were silent. We didn't mean to waste anyone's time and we figured we'd give people a good laugh after about 3 pages of the thread and then we'd be left to rock out to a very awesome playlist.

Signed,
Axver (lead setlist designer), coolian2, the tourist (who had the original idea), Varitek

(We assume the others involved have gone to bed and are not around to endorse.)

mofo82 said:
In my opinion, the starter of the thread should have posted in 'Dream Out Loud'. "Everything You Know Is Wrong" is "the general discussion area, primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2", as the heading states.

People post things in the wrong forum all the time. Does that mean they get their hand slapped? No. It means a mod moves the thread. This thread will probably get moved soon. Don't worry.

Now it would be nice if they are kept there in the future. As I said in the retraction thread, It's not about what the threads are about, but where they are started at. Members who have been here for years should know better. I'm honestly done playing mod, and think I'm done with this forum. Let the kids play.

Well okay then. Let's go back to this forum being

"So who's seen U23D?"
or
"What's your top ten U2 songs?"
or
"Edge's solos"
or

maybe I'll go to sleep.

mofo82 said:
Now it would be nice if they are kept there in the future. As I said in the retraction thread, It's not about what the threads are about, but where they are started at. Members who have been here for years should know better. I'm honestly done playing mod, and think I'm done with this forum. Let the kids play.

Is this thread about U2 news? Is it about U2 at all? So should it be posted here?

I think maybe a good thing for you right now would be a glass of wine, a bath, and Jeff Buckley's album. Be cool.

COBL_04 said:
Well okay then. Let's go back to this forum being

"So who's seen U23D?"
or
"What's your top ten U2 songs?"
or
"Edge's solos"
or

maybe I'll go to sleep.

"Older U2 material > HTDAAB" is the direction this forum has been going in. Let's just let the riptide take us back to land.

mofo82 said:
Opinions vs. blatant hoaxes, practical jokes as you all have admitted.

Come on. Huge difference.

:|

You just wish you'd been in on it.

LemonMelon said:

"Older U2 material > HTDAAB" is the direction this forum has been going in. Let's just let the riptide take us back to land.

In fairness, the setlist had 1 HTDAAB song and about 25 older songs, so the thread fit right in.

the tourist said:

You just wish you'd been in on it.

tourist, after all I've said, why the hell do you think I want to be in it?

It's not fun to me. It reminds me of high school. I don't come here for juvenile entertainment. If I knew about it before it started, I'd pass. It's not my thing.

mofo82 said:

It's not fun to me. It reminds me of high school. I don't come here for juvenile entertainment. If I knew about it before it started, I'd pass. It's not my thing.

So....what do you come here for?

mofo82 said:

Well something's knotted in your undies. I'm sure it's not just that this is in a forum that you go to for your news. Anyway, I'm sure this is much, much more clever than anything that's ever been done in any high school ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom