if god will send his angels!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some observations.......

1) Fourth best track on POP

2) Single version is an improvement, undoubtedly.

3) Probably the most "ATYCLBesque" track of any on that album.

4) Very cool video....

5).....although the alternate version with clips from "City of Angels" thrown in is very distracting......

6) Could've been a huge hit had it come out a few years later.....

And if God will send his angels
Cause we could use them here right now
And if God will send his angels...
And though it didn't do well
I like this song a whole lot
And I don't really care much
That most of you do not
Just know I'm thankful
For POP...

if god will send his angels, awesome stuff. it gives me chills every single time i listen to it.

i also bumped all the POP song appreciation threads i could find :reject:

it all goes to show what a great collection of songs pop is!:wink:

Sorry to spoil to the party...

My least favourite track from PoP. It hints at being something very grand and Edge's guitar sounds so amazing, but it seems to hide behind everything else when it deserves to steal the show.

Shouldn't have been a single I don't reckon....

Prefer the Big Yam mix to be honest with ya...

Kind of a weak link in the U2 collection, and after the frantic and energetic start to PoP, its a bit of a let down...

this track definetely is a bit of a let down. Dont get me wrong, its a good song , i just think its a bit out of place and like the most of the album, it flatters to decieve .......

I'll rank Pop for y'all:

1. Mofo
2. Discotheque
3. Last Night On Earth
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. Gone
6. Please
7. Staring At The Sun
8. Miami
9. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
10. Wake Up Dead Man
11. If God Will Send His Angels
12. The Playboy Mansion

Don't like the song.

Is the single version the one on the best of 1990-2000-DVD? I think that differs from the album...

I have also rediscovered If You Wear That Velvet Dress, espessially the album version...

Hey, I think POP is actually a very good --> great albun...

L03VIk said:

I have also rediscovered If You Wear That Velvet Dress, espessially the album version...

Me too. Also I never liked IGWSHA but now I listened to it for, well almost 8 years, it's beginning to grow on me. Strange,but true..

This is a great song, and I agree I like the single version better. Same with Please. Why is that? For Please, the Album version, like other songs on the album, is U2 trying way to hard not to sound like U2, IMO. For Angels, I love the ending of the single version...

And I don't have to how
And I don't need to know why
And I don't want to promise
'Cause I don't want to lie
Just know that I need You, tonight
Ahhhhhh...
Somewhere, Someone, by your door...

As for the rest of the song, it's beautiful in it's stripped down, U2 version. All the extra noises and synths just detract from an otherwise gorgeous song.

POP was mismanaged, not a mistake. I'm still convinced that the lead single of Discotheque with U2 doing the Village People thing in the video alienated a lot of people, including some long-time fans. I agree with whoever said that a release plan starting with Gone, then Staring at the Sun, Please (single version on the album), MOFO, then Discotheque, with a Nov 1997 release, would have been a recipe for 2.5M in U.S. sales added to R.O.W. 6.5M = 9M. Critics stick with their original reviews, U2 is ready to play the songs, and POP goes down in history as one of U2's top records.

It is a Top Record anyway, the way I see it...just talking about the general perception of most of the public and now even U2 themselves, it seems.

I have always liked it.

Velvet Dress was the song I never understood.:|

Try listening to Blue Room and then Velvet Dress. I recently discovered that really go well together. Or:

Blue Room
Velvet Dress
Never Let Me Go (Edit [without opening narration])
Grace

U2Soar said:
Try listening to Blue Room and then Velvet Dress. I recently discovered that really go well together. Or:

Blue Room
Velvet Dress
Never Let Me Go (Edit [without opening narration])
Grace

Pardon my ignorance but Blue Room? Never let me go? I have never heard of these. Can someone throw me an mp3 or point me in the right direction? I am pretty curious now.

as soon as I hear the beginning of this song, I always say/think:
"God I love this song". (of course I say this alot.)
But with this one, it's everytime. truly love it.. :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom