I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramblin rose said:

:yes:

Can't you just see it. Chizip holds up a "play Dirty Day sign" during Bullet the Blue Sky and Bono goes off on him "could you shut the fuck up already with the playing Dirty Day shit" as he lunges forward with the mike stand.

Now that would be something. :lol:

:yes: :laugh: :lmao: :lmao: :evil:

<<waits for video/audio of this glorious moment...:sexywink:

Uhh has Bono not did many things like this before over the years?:huh: Everyone gets tetchy from time to time...i think Bono gets worked up more than most people...there are the stories about him and his brother really going at it...his temper tantrums at school...this kinda thing is part of his character...he apologised because he knew he was wrong but it was just a heat of the moment thing, it is just him...no need to crucify him over it...

Chizip said:

or perhaps it would be best if he did those things and refrained from bitching out the fans that spent good money to see him, whether its part of his "character" or not.

Thanks, Chizip.

kellyahern said:

Bono yells at fan about cell phone use and apologizes later, news at 11 :|

Kelly, you are clever enough to know that you're just trying to rewrite history here. You know full well, that there's more to it than what you repeated here:

astralzzzz said:

The concert started and I saw Bono reach for my phone while I was trying to take a picture of him. I gave it to him b/c I thought he was going to take a pic of himself. He just put it in his pocket and then a few seconds later took it out and threw it back at me. It dropped, and the 11 year old girl in front of me grabbed it off the floor. Bono then said "you dropped it."

Now, if Bono had just said the thing about "put the fucking phone away" or whatever, I would just have thought of him as silly and immensely hypocritical in this situation (he doesn't have a problem with asking people to take out their cell phones during One, when it suits HIM, does he?), but it would have been forgivable. However, if the part, I just quoted, is true I'd have to say that that is pretty disappointing. I'm hard pressed to see anything but a spoiled, hypocritical prick of a rock star being disgustingly disrespectful to the people who have paid and admired him for years.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Now, if Bono had just said the thing about "put the fucking phone away" or whatever, I would just have thought of him as silly and immensely hypocritical in this situation (he doesn't have a problem with asking people to take out their cell phones during One, when it suits HIM, does he?), but it would have been forgivable. However, if the part, I just quoted, is true I'd have to say that that is pretty disappointing. I'm hard pressed to see anything but a spoiled, hypocritical prick of a rock star being disgustingly disrespectful to the people who have paid and admired him for years.

For fuck's sake!

Bono just had a bad night, man!

All rock stars are fallable, y'know.

I bet you've had friends who've you fell out with then made up with again because of a stupid incident.

It's called being NORMAL!

Because someone is a rock star does not mean they can't be an idiot now and again.

Get over it.

Well Christopher, you were could to take it so well. From your account, Bono shouldn't have shouted at you but then we are all human we all make mistakes sometimes :) I think he realised that when he apologised to you. Anyways now you've got your own unique U2 story to tell people :up:

U2Man said:

I find it immensely ironical that you of all people asks me to "get over it". Anyway, I didn't address you.

Yeh, that's because I've moved on and learnt.

What about you?

And I'm addressing you.

kellyahern said:

Actually, I was just reply to the post that thought this item might be newsworthy.

Yes, I got that - but you deliberately left out the most outrageous part of this episode in order to support your point that this would be lame news. It might be anyway to most people, but to people who have the slightest interest in Bono/U2 it cannot be.

Dude Bono's such an asshole, I'm never gonna listen to U2 again, I suggest we all boycott the band, and throw away our ONE campaign bracelets, and talk on cell phones for the rest of our lives just to spite him.

U2Man said:

Yes, I got that - but you deliberately left out the most outrageous part of this episode in order to support your point that this would be lame news. It might be anyway to most people, but to people who have the slightest interest in Bono/U2 it cannot be.

The poster wasn't talking about people who have an interest in U2. He was talking about it making non-U2 news sites.

AtomicBono said:
Dude Bono's such an asshole, I'm never gonna listen to U2 again, I suggest we all boycott the band, and throw away our ONE campaign bracelets, and talk on cell phones for the rest of our lives just to spite him.

So what's your point with these kinds of posts, other than making us think that you actually think that what Bono did was good and sympathetical?

kellyahern said:

The poster wasn't talking about people who have an interest in U2. He was talking about it making non-U2 news sites.

Stories of Bono throwing fans' cell phones at them for no reason might actually make it to some non-U2 sites, I believe.

U2mixer said:

:laugh:

Aw, I'll send you Adam's spittle in the post to show no hard feelings ;)

Awwwwwww you really know how to treat a woman! :flirt: . And just to show no hard feelings if you send me Adam's spittle and I put it on ebay,lol. Than I will fully give you credit for it and some of the profits,hehe.

BonosBaby12 said:

Awwwwwww you really know how to treat a woman! :flirt: . And just to show no hard feelings if you send me Adam's spittle and I put it on ebay,lol. Than I will fully give you credit for it and some of the profits,hehe.

Oh, you can pay me in kind :hmm:

From Adam's spittle to Bono's message...

51675713_5f6d22872a.jpg

U2mixer said:

Oh, you can pay me in kind :hmm:

From Adam's spittle to Bono's message...

51675713_5f6d22872a.jpg

Where in the world do you come up with these things?! :lol: . Love that sign! Hey Adam's spittle better be authentic or you have A LOT to answer to mister! :mad: . Oh hell you are too nice and funny to even consider being mad at,hehe.

I watched the video, and I do not see Bono as being angry. I think it was part of his act for the night (I was there), and don't be suprised if you read he does something very similar in an upcoming show.
Now, if I were you, I would write to Principal Management and add at the bottom of your email the link to this thread. Maybe you will get some seats for Friday's night concert.
Seriously! He may even call you up on stage. Or, buy GA's (I'm told they're available at the box office and reduced by the scalpers around 8ish) and bring attention to yourself. Bono looks for familiar faces to bring on stage. Good luck.

Ps or you can just treat ignore me:reject:

i was in the middle of the ellipse on 10/8, and clearly heard/saw bono yell at the guy using his cell phone. however, right before he made that comment, bono yelled something else towards the direction of the back of the ellipse- but he didn't yell into the microphone, so i'm not sure what he said (it was definitely angry though!).

here's what i think happened: the ellipse SUCKED that night. apart from the first couple of rows, which were really into the show, the rest of the ellipse crowd was dead. there were SO many people just STANDING there, with their arms folded... it was really bad. and i think bono saw that the crowd was not enthusiastic, and that he took out his frustration on the guy with the cell phone. i'm not trying to justify his actions, but i do think that he was upset about more than just the one person using his phone. really, it was the worst ellipse crowd i've ever seen.

*Ally* said:
i was in the middle of the ellipse on 10/8, and clearly heard/saw bono yell at the guy using his cell phone. however, right before he made that comment, bono yelled something else towards the direction of the back of the ellipse- but he didn't yell into the microphone, so i'm not sure what he said (it was definitely angry though!).

here's what i think happened: the ellipse SUCKED that night. apart from the first couple of rows, which were really into the show, the rest of the ellipse crowd was dead. there were SO many people just STANDING there, with their arms folded... it was really bad. and i think bono saw that the crowd was not enthusiastic, and that he took out his frustration on the guy with the cell phone. i'm not trying to justify his actions, but i do think that he was upset about more than just the one person using his phone. really, it was the worst ellipse crowd i've ever seen.

I read that so many people thought the crowd was great on Saturday but when I looked around, I though most were just standing, staring. To me it seemed like Bono was grasping to shake up the place. And it worked to some degree.

It was "Streets" that woke everyone up. thank God U2 didn't sell that tune to a car company.

Val said:
Now, if I were you, I would write to Principal Management and add at the bottom of your email the link to this thread. Maybe you will get some seats for Friday's night concert.

Great idea! Try and score something out of the embarressment, that's what I'd be doing!

Honestly though I think alot of you are just too quickly dismissive of Bono's actions. The excuses-he was having a bad night, he's human, etc aren't really justification for him abusing a fan in front of tens of thousands of people.

I'm not saying that he should have to hear about this for the rest of his life, or that other fans should go up and confront him about it but niether should this incident just be ignored or excused.

I don't believe anyone is dismissing what happened. The guy apologized and the one it happened to has forgiven him. I wouldn't exactly call it "abuse" with what he did. He didn't call him names or threaten his life or anything. Would classify it more or along the lines of having fucked up.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Great idea! Try and score something out of the embarressment, that's what I'd be doing!

Honestly though I think alot of you are just too quickly dismissive of Bono's actions. The excuses-he was having a bad night, he's human, etc aren't really justification for him abusing a fan in front of tens of thousands of people.

I'm not saying that he should have to hear about this for the rest of his life, or that other fans should go up and confront him about it but niether should this incident just be ignored or excused.

:up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom