I Need Your Prayers Please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
It's Official: I Need Your Prayers Please....

..Or, more correctly, I need a miracle.

I don't like discussing my personal life or anything like that online, normally, but I just HAVE to dump this on y'all or I will explode. Normally I prefer FYM and the News areas but this is a unique situation for me.

We are a small family. (I live in Albany, NY). There's myself in my own place, my mom and stepfather and teenage sister in another 15 min away. (or they were. More on that in a minute.) Then there's my uncle, down in NYC area, and my grandmother who lives 4 hrs away from us, in the Syracuse/Finger Lakes area. And an aunt who Mom keeps trackof ocassionally.

Last winter, my grandmother had a stroke. This was on top of a cancer scare she successfully came through 5 yrs ago. She's 80 now and lives alone (my grandpa passed away 6 yrs ago). Her place is on the waterfront and she's really in the boonies..and her neighbors are gone most of the yr to FLA, etc. The cancer scare took most of her funds and investments, between the medical expenses and hiring a home health care aide to care for her for a year. (Even though her insurance was excellent, if you know anyone who's been through this--esp colon cancer where you have to spend a lot on, er, home health products after you get home--you know how much money is involved here.) So when the stroke hit, my Mom had to help out with expenses and she and my uncle had to work out a system where every 2 weeks one of them would come down to her house to stay with her. She absolutely refuses, for various reasons, to move to Albany to be with us, even though it would be more convenient for everybody.

The medical and houseold expenses situation got to be quite rough by last winter, so I had to pitch in to help Mom out. This left my finances quite strained for a while, so I had to be late with my rent for 3 months. Normally, my rental manager would be fine with this, (I've lived there 4 yrs and she's been nice), but in January new management took over the company running my apt building, and they imposed a tough new rent policy. Instead of the normal $60 fine for being late, you now had to pay 10$ a day for every day you were late. And she laid down the law to me about being late more than 3 times in a year. You can guess what she said.

So, last Feb-March, I was in a desperate situation. That was the time U2 tix went on sale, of course, and as nobody knew what the situation for the fall leg would be, I just HAD to get my tix then. Luckily I saved my Propaganda code and after explaining my situation to a friend, he used my code and bought me the tix I will (hopefully) be going to see them with next week. That, of course, wasn't my biggest problem though.

I was able, through the intervention of kind friends and people at work, etc, to get my financial situation under control. I also tolf my Mom that she had to work out a way to get money, I could not be there to help until I got on my feet. She and my stepfather did not, shall we say, have a good relationship. He was becoming alcoholic, coming home drunk at 1 AM, etc. Things got even more rocky when she announced that she would be taking an early retirement in June to be able to spend more time with grandma. My uncle was having problems with my cousin, his son, and was not in great financial shape as a result either.

Early in June, two weeks before the reitirement was due to go into effect, Mom went to Grandma's house for the 2 weeks like normal. When she came back, she found half the downstairs furniture gone in their house, and a note saying that he was moving out and getting a seperation. He had his own place now, and she was going to have to start paying her own bills. This, after a 20 yr marriage. He knew what the situation was and I can't figure out why he did this, esp as he was making LOADS of money and could esily afford to pay ALL the bills if he wanted to. The contrast bewtwen him and her oculd not be more striking. Well, Mom took him to court, and he had to pay part of her bills. But now he wants a formal divorce. Mom couldn't take all of this, she can't afford a lawyer (for example, a simple phone call to her lawyer costs $150--those of you with experience with lawyers know stuff like this) so she is getting rid of the house and moving to be with my grandma. What she is going to live on, I don't know, and it is going to disprupt my sister's life as well. But I can't support her, tht's for sure, there is just no way. So she has to leave. And this, when she was finally going to retire and be finacillay stable, if not secure!

These developments have come very recently, within the past month and half. In the meantime, I have had to again help her out with money, b/c my former "stepfather" wouldn't do a damned thing. This meant I had to resort to all sorts of ingenious schemes to come up with money just to keep myself afloat. Nomally, I am not rich, but I get by. I am ppor grad student (or currently "in between semester grad student" anyway, for this reason) It has not been easy, and now I am at the literal end of my rope.

I was late this month with my Sept rent....and the late fee killed me. I had to put off paying bills till the end of the month that normally HAd to be paid by the middle of the month, for this reason. And to top it all off, the lease on my apt expires on Oct 1. I noticed that unlike in past yrs, the rental manger did not give me a copy of my lease for renewal. I asked her why this was, and she told me that the manager has informed her that if I was not on time with my rent this month, I would be evicted. This was a week ago. There was nothing I could do.

IN the past 2 months, I have done everything possible to come up with money, just to scrape by, let alone pay rent. I thought that I would not have to be helping Mom out after August, but due to the divcorce situation, I had to, there was nothing I could do. What do you do when your Mom convulsively cries to you on the phone every night? When do you put your foot down? I had to, last week, and it was not a pleasant task. Esp when you know the former "man of the house" is rolling in dough. If they were just seperated, she could go to her lawyer and he would have to help. But he is seeking a divorce, and when that applies, he's not legally bound to do anything. Just the opposite.

So now, I am in a desperate situation. I have until Sunday to come up with my rent, or I am quite literally out on the street. Here are the things I CANNOT do to come up with the money:

1)I can't get a bank loan. I did that back in the spring, when my credit was good, and it helped a lot. But due to several late bills, my credit is not good enough anymore (I asked.) And the loan money is used up, and I now am paying it back.

2)I can't go to my employer for a cash advance. I did this in the spring, and normally, they don't even do cash advances..but my boss decided to give me one. However, they could only do it by taking hours away from my vacation time, since I have not worked enough hours this pay period to cover an increase. Moreover, the amount I need ($600) is too big.

3)I can't get an emergency credit line increase from my credit card. I already got an automatic increase in August, which I have used up.

4)I can't go to anyone in the family. My uncle, like I said, is broke. I asked him.

5) My 2 best friends, whom I would normally ask, both went into the hospital in the past 2 weeks, one with appendicitis, the other with a kidney stone. ( I am NOT making this up. Trust me.)

6)3 weeks ago, I went to the pastor at my church and he agreed to help me out with the money to cover the deficent sum from Sept rent. He had to get permission from the church's Board of directors, but before they gave me a dime, I had to get a phone character reference from my employer and the rental office had to fax over to them the amount I owed. They just don't hand over a check. So I am sure this fact is a key reason why they are deciding to evict me. They think it's stricly an income thing..or the b**** in the manager's office does.

7) I have checked other local charities and they only help with things like groceries.

8) I have tried to seel furniture, and have found no takers.

9) I have had to give up my car and get around my bus, (luckily I have a student ID which allows me to ride most buses here for free).

10) My school can't help out either. Not in a week. And anyway, like I said, I had to take a semester off.

I am currently looking for a part-time job to get me back to normal. And holiday hours go into effect at my job, so I will be making more money starting in the middle of Oct and will be able to catch up IF I get Oct's rent in on time. But I have until Sunday to get the money on her desk, or I am OUT.

I have checked around for another apt and discovered that I have just about the cheapest place in the city of Albany. I could not find another place like this if I had to move out. Moreover, I have not a penny in the bank and could not afford even a truck to move my things, and where could I move them to? I have nobody who can store my stuff, and can't afford a penny for storage. I'd have to get rid of all my worldy goods. I can't sell them to family either..they have no money.

I have no friends to move in with, and even if I do, how could I find another place if I did? I really would be without a thing and literally on the street. I don't even know where the local homeless shelters are.

This is so cruel, b/c if I just caught up with the Oct rent, I could easily get the Nov rent in..I would be caught up financially if this month was taken care of. But to have to lose this place, all my funrniture, and be out on the street, after all I have gone though, is too much. If it was possible to sell my U2 tickets and have that cover my rent, I would, but 1) they're only GA's and 2) after going through all I went though to get these tix, and seeing I'm about to be homeless anyway, I may as well celebrate. It seems the band are the only thing making life worth living right now. The shows I am going to are Boston Oct 4 and MSG next Friday. Luckily I bought the train ticket to Boston, but I don't know how I am getting to NYC. The tix are non-refundable, BTW. I asked.)

And all for $600. I don't know what to do, I am at the end of my rope. Thank you all for reading this..I don't know HOW I am going to go through work today. I have been told my people at work not to go asking for money either..I could get into trouble. I was told this back in the spring, as I had done just this, (I didn't know what cash advances were.)

So I guess I'm just sitting here, watching my life fall apart, and helpless to stop what happens to me. And it's so cruel, b/c it's all so trivial, compared to what is happening to tohers. But right now, I have a problem, I guess....

Thanks Hello Angel....for the "hugs" anyway....what can I do??? I have spent the day taking great risks at work tryng to get people to help. My boss almost caught me crying. I have to say, I can't help crying now....If I don't have this money in by Sunday, I am on the street. My lease officially expires Oct 1, actually. And there's nothing anyone can do. I can't move in with my Mom etc , she's now 4 hrs away. I don't have a car. And I can't give up my job, and if this happens, I will of course have to drop out of grad school. If I ever had the chance of getting back in.

I'm just counting down the hours now....

Sell your U2 tickets. On the black market, they will probably fetch a few hundred dollars each with the right buyers.

I have no experience selling concert tickets, but I have heard encouraging stories on the selling price front.

Melon

teta, i really think you should sell your nyc tickets. it seems like you don't have any other options for a quick fix. and i know you bought your boston train ticket already, but you might want to consider selling those as well. you have to consider your future before you consider going to a concert. i hope everything works out for you. :(

I saw this mentioned back in FYM, thought I'd check it out.

I really hope things take a turn in your favor, I really do. I think a few of us may have walked in your shoes at one time.

I also know that your family may be leaning on you now, but you must take care of yourself before you can even begin to think of taking care of them like you did when your financial situation was a little bit better.

Your concert tickets are a blessing in disguise.

I think you know what needs to be done...

What future? I have no future, whether I go or not. My family is falling apart, and what do I have to look forward to? Nothing. This is the only bright spot in my life, and if you've been a fan for 24 yrs, and have hardly ever seen them live, what do you say?
it's easy for YOU to say, "Just sell the tix." You're not me, and you don't know what it would feel like.

Do I have 4 days to agonize over whether to trust a stranger? No. (I'd trust them with other things, but giving the ticket before I get the money?) I have absolutely no idea how the black market works. None. Do I risk having my ticket auction pulled off off ebay by the u2 crew? I have no idea how Ebay works. And I don't have a PC at home, so I don't have hours to find out. I am typing this at a university library at midnight.

After all I went though to get these (I went through considerable personal suffering back then....I even starved myself for 5 days in March just to be able to send the guy who got me the tix $20 for a "downpayment"--yes, I had literally a packet of oatmeal in the house at that point......I had just forked over my check to Mommy Dearest to buy Grandma some Depends) you can't imagine what it meant to me to get the phone call saying he was able to get them for me, I took it as a sign from God. I am NOT giving God the satisfaction of having them taken away from me. And anyway, I'm a Christian. I don't believe He meant me to give them up, not when He got them for me.

I am bitter enough right now. I have gotten someone to give me ride to and from NYC, so I can;t give them up. I am working on that, but giving up the tix is NOT an option. I just can't chance it. And if you had my life, you wouldn't either.

Thnaks for the thoughts, guys. I'm sure they come from people who know they can get tix again if they tried. I can't. And I hope you never have to go through what i have....:(

PS I just saw the last post.

I do NOT know what needs to be done. Very easy for you all to say.

1) I don't know how.
2) God got me the tix, and has now got me away to go to both places. Very recently too.

PS. You may also rely, "well, sell them in here!" Well...after what happened this spring, I don't trust "fans" in the ticket forums either. I had a bad experience with someone here last tour. The ony way I could ever be sure was if I transacted with them face to face. Selling is just too dubious a choice...with only 5 days. This is even if I could. But I can't....

Last edited:
Teta,

Do you have a trusted friend or mentor at your university?--a prof, advisor or fellow grad student. Tell them your situation and ask them to send around an email on the departmental listserv or other such forum saying, Help out a colleague who's in a serious family crisis, do you know anyone who would buy these tickets? You could reach a good number of trustworthy potential buyers that way. (And maybe find a ride to Boston, too.)

You will curse me for saying this--and that is OK--but...: You are painting yourself into a corner about these tickets. I've never been in this particular corner, but I do know what painting yourself into a corner looks like. You're endowing these concerts with a significance they don't deserve and won't be able to deliver on. There are many awful reasons, God forbid, why someone might not be able to attend a long-awaited concert.

Whatever you do, I think you should still take the trip if you can find a ride...visit with friends, meet Dreadsox, or whatever. You unquestionably do need and deserve a break.

Peace and prayers
~RJC

Last edited:
Can you, your Mum, and your sister move into a place together?

Also, if your Mum divorces your stepdad won't she receive half the assets? Thats how it usually works in Australia. So you Mum would have some money due in the divorce settlement.

As for legal fees, have you contacted a University that teachers law? Law schools quite often provide free or cheap advice so they can practice on real people.

A part time job sounds like an excellent idea.

I would suggest, I dont know your Mum at all, but given what shes been through perhaps some counselling may be of assistance. Divorce kicks most people in the teeth.

Teta, U2 didn't bring Elevation to Perth. Popmart came to Perth but I was unable to attend. Zoomerang didnt come to Perth. Which means the last and the first time I saw U2 was Lovetown. I've been waiting ever since.

I would love to see Vertigo but if they don't bring the show to Australia (and I'm going to fly to Sydney so I don't miss it if they don't come to Perth) then I will be devastated but I will cope. I'm sure you will too.

:hug:

:hug:

What prevented selling your car from working? Maybe we can help you think through that? I sold my car a few years ago within 48 hours for 2,000.

I think Melon had a good idea. There might even be a buyer here, if you'd feel more comfortable with that than, say, putting the tix on e-bay.

Thoughts and prayers with you!

No, saying "you know what needs to be done" is not always an easy piece of advice if you've walked a mile in another person's shoes and understand what they're going through.

I understand you being on the defensive about your tickets and your situation. I haven't seen U2 since the Zoo tour. And there's been plenty of times U2 has come around but I've had to pass it up, even with tix in hand.

The thought of something you're looking foward to suddenly being taken away is heartbreaking. I think we all can understand that. But I also stand by my assertion that your tickets are a blessing in disguise.

I'll shut up now, since I really don't have any good advice to give and what's said is said.

You've always struck me as a well thought out and passionate person, Teta. I hope only the best outcome for you in this difficult time.

Back
Top Bottom