I have never been on a plane....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't care, I just have never gone anywhere cool. When I travel on my own trips with friends, we drive to Florida and other such places that can be accomplished in 2 days. But I've never been to Europe and any foreign country besides Sarnia, Ontario twice for gymnastics meets. I've been criticized before b/c I love going to southwestern Florida (the Everglades) so much and people who've been all over say I'm close-minded and there are much better places in the world. The problem is I've just never had the chance to go anywhere b/c my family never travelled or vacationed. I'm sure there are much better places, but Lord only knows if I'll ever get the chance to see them....

I have never been on a plane
I am studying 2 foreighn languages
I thought everyone would have been abroad but lots of people in my course have never been away either and we were told lots of people go abroad for the first time on their year out. :up:
I am a bit terrified of getting on a plane though. I have told everyone I shall row. :lol:

I am not sure why people are so afraid of planes!

Airline plane crashes/deaths are SO rare compared to driving deaths and even bicycle deaths.

Think of it this way....just about ANY looney can get in a car and drive. Only a small, VERY SELECT set of loonies fly commercial airplanes. :up:

:yes: That is very true. It's safer to fly than to drive with the occational dumb arse that's driving drunk or just can't drive riding on the same roads as you.

zonelistener said:

Airline plane crashes/deaths are SO rare compared to driving deaths and even bicycle deaths.

Think of it this way....just about ANY looney can get in a car and drive. Only a small, VERY SELECT set of loonies fly commercial airplanes. :up:

I dont like the way planes just hover through the sky. I like my transport to be firmly on the ground. And my Dad terrified me when I was younger by telling me planes were awful. :|

zonelistener said:

I'm not afraid of crashing. I tend to get claustrophobic on planes, and I also get sick to my stomach. Flying is not pleasant for me.

I'm almost 43 and I have never been on a plane, or a boat out to sea, or even a long train trip...if that makes you feel less weird.
I REALLY want to see Ireland before I die, but I don't think it will be possible because of two things...No $$$ and i seriously think i would have a major panic attack on an aeroplane. My Finnish friend is scared of flying, she takes sedatives to cope with her trips home. I don't know about that, she reckons it's an OK thing to do.

Just seeing an airliner, all that metal just held together with rivets, it just don't seem right it can stay up there...and all that ocean you have to cross to get to Europe, I'm dead -scared of sharks.
I did hear Nancy Bird-Walton being interviewed recently. What a classy woman. She is one of Australia's pioneer aviatrix. She said you haven't the true beauty of Australia until you have seen it from a low-flying aircraft. She said Oz is the perfect country to fly around...it's flat, has good weather and bad roads:) She had me convinced...for a day.
It's something I do want to do, but it makes me feel ill if I think about it too long. I don't even like going on ferris wheels...but I braved it for the sake of my kids.

I don't think it is close-minded not to travel. You can learn a lot from books. I LOVE arm-chair travelling. I would say the vast majority of people in the world don't travel far from their home. Travel for leisure is a luxury really. I justify my "stay at homedness" by saying I love where I live( and I do) and if I had extra $$$ I'd give it to charity....who knows.
You're not weird...imho

I'm not really scared of flying. I just prefer not to if I'm going somewhere in the US. Being on the road and seeing all the things along the way and the random places you stop are half the fun I think. Plus, wherever I go I'm usually camping and you can bring that kind of equipment on planes.

My dad is a sales rep. and he flies a lot to North Carolina and just this year he told me he's actually afriad of planes and feels like it's rather unnatural and somewhat wrong for humans to be in the air (I agree to an extent).

I had a friend in college who was almost 21 and have never been away from home overnight. Never been been on vaction, never stayed at a hotel, never stayed at anyone else's house, etc. :crazy:

As I live in Perth aka Worlds Most Isolated City, the only way out is

* driving across the deserts
* sailing for days to Bali
* flying

so I have been on lots of planes.

I'd only flown a few times in my life until last year, and they were usually very short flights (Providence to Buffalo, maybe an hour) for skating competitions. Since last February, I have flown at least six times, once across the Atlantic and once across the country all by myself. A month from today I'll be flying again! It gets easier the more you do it. :yes:

I also prefer my transportation to be on the ground, but when you don't think about being 7 miles off the ground, flying isn't bad. It's nice to look at the clouds, or down at the little towns. When I fly home, I try to find my house because I live practically down the street from the airport, and clearance over my house is about 200 feet.

I've flown many times. It's okay. Depends on the airline, much like anything else. You get what you pay for.

I hate flying into Europe, because it's always overnight and you lose a night of sleep and then arrive there early in the morning, feeling like a zombie all day. Flying back is much better.

You are not weird, (if you are, I am too cos I've never flown). I turned 40 years old last year and the furthest I've ever travelled in my life was to Scotland when I was a kid and as I live in England it's not that far! As I've got older I've often dreamed of travelling and seeing more of the world but my husband will not even consider leaving the country! So, I'll have to keep dreaming or........Get rid of my husband. Hmmmm :hmm:

planes suck arse.

while zonEE's figures are all nice and well, how many people actually survive a plane crash???
:eyebrow:

yes, i would rather take my odds on a car than 30,000 tonnes of metal thanks.

:|

Angela Harlem said:
planes suck arse.

while zonEE's figures are all nice and well, how many people actually survive a plane crash???

yes, i would rather take my odds on a car than 30,000 tonnes of metal thanks.

How many people have you personally known to die in a plane accident VERSUS how many people have you personally known to die in car accidents? :hmm:

Ignore angiEE O'Scarem....she is just a control freak. :wink:

Angela Harlem said:
planes suck arse.

:up:

I dont care how many people say planes are fun or tell me statistics about planes crashing and how it is a slim chance that they will crash, you are still not going to see me look happy at the prospect of having to get on a plane. Some of the planes here look like caravans with wings and wobble about, they dont look too safe to me. :crack:

Hasn't there been a lot of ferry accidents in Europe over the last few years? Do you all swim well in cold water? Whose to say that the ferry drivers or ferries are any safer than the pilots and planes.

( :| )

Im not saying the drivers are any better or worse Im saying if anything goes wrong on a plane and it plummets to the ground, your not going to survive :|
At least if the boat starts to sink we can jump on one of the little emrgency rafts that dangle from the side, I have been in one before when I went to the factory that makes them, they are well equipped for survival at sea :up:

precisely dear zonEE.

ferries, cars, trains and coaches are all more likely to crash, but those accidents are less statistically fatal than a plane. its like motorbikes. 70% of those accidents are fatalities.

Jeremy Clarkson had a very good programme on flying, I was alsmot tempted to get on a place until he showed a bit about planes crashing and talked about "the sheer panic and horror hahaha" :crack:

Facts dont change my opinion of flying,
Im not a fan of any type of transport,
Everything you do is risky, you just have to live life and take risks I guess. I just dont like the idea of taking a risk by floating in a big metal container with wings. haha. :|

noooooooooo. you are missing the point!
way more people die in car crashes. this is no secret.

its more like (for example) the percent of fatalities for each WHEN THEY DO crash would/could be something like this:

in cars: 25%
in ferries: 50%
in planes: 95%

IF the transport you are in, is going to crash, what accident would you rather be in?

Back
Top Bottom