Hidden Influences from Motown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Hehehe I gotta say this, even though the song Vertigo is great, but the chorus is kinda like "You keep me hanging on". To prove this I have been listening to the track so much I woke up this morning singing "You keep me hanging on". Try singing the words to "You keep me hanging on" while listening to the chorus of Vertigo and it kinda fits. Still a great song though, your always gonna get bits that sound like other tunes anyway, like that bit in "Beautiful Day" when he sings "Touch Me", it sounds a bit like when Aha sang "Touch Me" in "The Sun Always shines on TV". But thats a crap song and "Beautiful Day" is a great song!

you gave me nightmares last night with that little observation!

I was rolling vertigo in my head over and over and then I tried to hear 'keep me hanging on' and a person just doesn't need to hear diana ross and bono together...first, I was tossing trying to recall
the supremes tune, and then I couldn't make it go away for comparing it a la your comment to vertigo and then it'd all mesh together to horrific effect...until I could make the "all of this can be yours" part come in and it felt like the devil himself taunting me!

Don't do that to people!

I don't, in the light of day anyway, see much similarity really....

cheers!

Nah I know, but there is always bits of songs where you can just hear another bit of a song that sounds like it. Vertigo is a great song, and a real corker for a first single. I'm gonna have to say I reckon this is gonna be a bigger song than "Beautiful Day" and I will be verrrrrrrrrrry surprised if the album does not sell more than ATYCLB, 13million plus probably, which means even more trouble getting concert tickets!

great for the band and shitty for me, since I'm almost as old as they are and have never seen them live!
Too old to camp out and too poor for decent seats otherwise...

cheers anyway...

I think u2, as is any artist worth its' salt since the heyday of Motown, is highly influenced by Detroit City's sweet soulfull sound.

I've also thought that there is a hint of Motown in some of the clips we've heard, as bad as they are. The first clip of Vertigo had me thinking that but I also hear it in L&PoE.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom