Here comes the press rollout...Time magazine cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Rolling Stone issue with the U2 cover has finally arrived :lol: However, since it arrived the same time the German edition hit the shelves I bought the German one since it's the same story, same cover, just much cheaper. Lovely cover shoot :drool:

The Thomas Friedman of rock? What the fuck does that even mean? Neoliberal globalization activist? Serial abuser of the English language? Complete and utter twat?

Never mind the writer has no awareness of William Blake or the significance of the title. And there's nothing worse than being socially conscious. Better off reading Tom Friedman and letting the ignorance wash through you.

Shouldn't people be more mad at Apple than U2? After all they're the ones with the capapbility to put things directly on your device... and they hand everything you do and say to the NSA. But that's OK to these people. Maybe if they were more socially conscious they'd get upset about things that matter instead of letting the western world become a surveillance state monitoring a growing underclass while the rich treat everyone with comtempt.

Obama is the second least influential person? I'm not a fan of this corporate stooge, but his CO2 deal with China was great because it removes excuses for nations like Canada to remain inactive on emissions. And the immigration thing is pretty fucking substantial.

Hold on, this guy thinks Putin is conquering Europe? Jesus Christ, GQ needs to raise its hiring standards.

Haha. Im not really sure this list was supposed to be taken quite so seriously. For many reasons. No matter what a person thinks of the current POTUS, there is no way on this earth that he would ever be seriously considered as a "least influential" person.

Haha. Im not really sure this list was supposed to be taken quite so seriously. For many reasons. No matter what a person thinks of the current POTUS, there is no way on this earth that he would ever be seriously considered as a "least influential" person.

That's just it, this list was written by someone not on this earth. Where he is, that's the question. Let's just figure it's not Zooropa.

U2 no. 14 in top 50 albums of 2014 :heart:

Best albums of 2014 - Telegraph

14 U2 Songs of Innocence

"It is an album of big, colourful, attacking rock with fluid melodies, bright anthemic choruses and bold lyrical ideas. Perhaps the most surprising thing is that, despite apparently being created in a spirit of self-doubt, it sounds fresh and cohesive, bouncing out of the speakers with a youthful spring in its step."

U2 no. 14 in top 50 albums of 2014 :heart:

Best albums of 2014 - Telegraph

14 U2 Songs of Innocence

"It is an album of big, colourful, attacking rock with fluid melodies, bright anthemic choruses and bold lyrical ideas. Perhaps the most surprising thing is that, despite apparently being created in a spirit of self-doubt, it sounds fresh and cohesive, bouncing out of the speakers with a youthful spring in its step."

Interesting order of albums. Ed Sheeran for the win.

The Rolling Stone issue with the U2 cover has finally arrived :lol: However, since it arrived the same time the German edition hit the shelves I bought the German one since it's the same story, same cover, just much cheaper. Lovely cover shoot :drool:

Thanks,ill make a trip into town tomorrow to get the rolling stone mag.

The mojo spread is excellent,i read it today in my lunch break.must be a good ten pages long.took me 35 minutes to read through it.

Definitely ageist and that's the issue.

Oh for fucks sake... How many 50 year olds were you a big fan of when you were 18?

Old people fucking love U2. Young people like their artists. They respect the artists that came before them, but for their previous work... not their current work.

It was the same 20 and 40 years ago and it'll be the same in 20 and 40 more years.

Oh for fucks sake... How many 50 year olds were you a big fan of when you were 18?

Old people fucking love U2. Young people like their artists. They respect the artists that came before them, but for their previous work... not their current work.

It was the same 20 and 40 years ago and it'll be the same in 20 and 40 more years.
I was so into Tom Jones, man.

Saw the Rolling Stones in concert when I was 18 they were at least 50 by then. Was and still am a big fan of Jazz too - Davis, Coltrane, Brubeck, Mingus and Monk.

It's definitely worth checking out the latest issue of Mojo, the band are in fiery form, especially Bono and Larry.

There's also some interesting stuff on their feelings towards NLOTH now, turns out that making it was not a pleasant experience. Larry in particular seems to have disowned it and even Adam appears unsure about certain decisions they made.

Here's a short snippet.

U2's Bono: "I'm Working On My Apology... For The Apology"

Larry disowning artistically worthwhile tracks like Fez and Cedars is probably the least surprising thing I'll hear all week.

Last edited:
Would someone in the UK be willing to look into buying/shipping a copy of MOJO to the US? According to their site, it'd cost me nearly $25 in US dollars to order and ship myself. I'm thinking it HAS to be cheaper to have someone from interference do it. (Can paypal the funds.) :hmm:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Larry disowning artistically worthwhile tracks like Fez and Cedars is probably the least surprising thing I'll hear all week.

Wasn't it the middle three songs that he slammed in another interview? Granted, I haven't read this one yet.

I don't get Larry's dislike for NLOTH AT ALL. In the Hot Press interview Larry dissed the album again and Bono said they cannot agree on it because he loves the album. Larry also said that releasing Boots as a single was a horrible decision. I think many of us can agree on that, but dissing songs like Fez is another thing. I wonder if Larry thought that way if the album was more of a commercial success.

I wonder if Larry thought that way if the album was more of a commercial success.

Probably not, which doesn't mean that he's been overly materialistic about it.
You probably have been in team work situations when you don't agree on something and after losing the fight you have to go with a "ok, go ahead and do it your way".

If things work out, you accept it was the right thing to do and move on. Otherwise you go into "I told you so" mood.

It's in the Rolling Stone magazine itself. The one with them on the cover. I'm at work so I can't picture/scan it, but I do have it at my desk:

It didn't help that the band was disappointed in the performance of its last album, 2009's No Line on the Horizon, which diluted underrated U2 classics (Moment of Surrender, Breathe, and the title track among them), with what Clayton and Mullen, at least, now see as weaker choices: the lyrically clever but musically-inert Stand up Comedy," the energetic but cluttered "Get on Your Boots."

"Boots" was an absolutely catastrophic choice for a single," says Mullen, still seething about it, five years later. "It was madness, but the decision was made, and that was the beginning of the end. We never recovered from it."

I think there's another interview where he slams them, too. Not sure if he gave Crazy Tonight a pass or what.

"The beginning of the end", "We never recovered from it". Come on.

Can we agree that Larry is the drama queen of the band?

The songs worked in a live setting and the tour was a huge success despite this "crap" album. I don't know what Larry means when he says the things quoted above, but I think he's exaggerating it a bit.

However, it's good that U2, as a band, is mature enough to let those different opinions exist next to each other.

Thanks! I found these quotes from what is probably Mojo (thanks Jick):

Larry:

No Line was fucking miserable. A miserable experience. From beginning to middle to end, it just didn't work. Brian and Danny were on board and credited as songwriters - and this is with respect to them - but that's an impossible scenario.You can't have four people in a band plus two extra songwriters who are also producers. It's not possible. Perhaps we should have made an obscure record. Maybe it would have been a great obscure record.

Adam:

"It wasn't an easy fit. We disappeared up our own ar*e in a way. I grieved the train wreck of certain directions we went in."

The songs worked in a live setting.

No they didn't, apart from Boots (ironically enough) and the title track. That was what probably sealed the fate of the record in their eyes. If anything, it was the first record that was truly a failure as far as live performances are concerned. They really didn't work, especially in those stadiums. They went like a dead fart in those 2009 concerts where they played four songs from it in the beginning. The embarrassing attempt to turn Unknown Caller into some big sing-along represents the whole situation quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom