Hawaii April 8th (& 9th?!) Aloha Stadium Part XII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trevster2k said:
You people are so lucky Miroslava is not here. She explicitly has said no sportstalk.:wink:

Miroslava said:
Correct. But at this point, the Superbowl talk is better than the :rant: :yell: ing about the 2nd show not being added.

:crack:

:lol:

In that case, I'll just drop the ball (or bomb) (and I probably shouldn't say this):

I've never watched a Superbowl game in my entire life!

And to stay on the sports topic:

I went ice-skating today with most of the kids that I teach.
Fun times!
But damn, I feel so cold now!

Hehehe!
:giggle:
Couldn't be more removed from the warm and sunny beach.

Last edited:
heh I wasn't talking sportstalk, I just said I was watching the super bowl, I made a statement about what I was watching on my TV. :shifty:

Ice skating sounds fun tho Miri! :up: Now warm up by thinking about Hawaii and have one of those fruity umbrella drinks!

Lila! Where's the drinks?!!!:drool:

MTEdge said:

First, disagreement is the spice to life. :wink: But, let's be honest... the second show, if there is one, will never sell out. If there's a second show, I guarantee swaths of sections in the $165 and $95 range to be empty that's because the ticket prices are too high for the locals. This is not New York, we're talking about.

Anyway, I said it's "almost entirely" the promoter's decision, not "entirely." If the band doesn't want to play, then the band doesn't want to play. If the band does want to play, but the promoter is concerned over profits (a strong possibility), the promoter will try to weasel out of the first contract (that likely had an option for a second show using similar salaries as the first show). If the band does not give the promoter strong enough incentive to have a second show, the promoter will not offer a second show. So there you go... it's a "almost entirely" a promoter's decision.

As to "sticker shock," your response is a non sequitor since it seems you misread my post. I said that the sticker shock for the Hawaiians is the actual concert ticket price. The "sticker shock" for the non-Hawaiians is the price to fly out there.

Again, I want a second show. I want to be right up close so I can get double the opportunity to play Mofo on the acoustic. (I've been practicing!)

Well, you don't know the exact nature of the contract U2 has with the promoter. I would say in this case U2 has control of everything. Promoters typically compete for the chance to handle a U2 tour since nothing but the Stones can generate this level of money from touring. The profits from this tour have been staggering and record breaking. By the time the tour finishes in April it will have GROSSED nearly $400 million dollars worldwide. A second show not selling out in Hawaii for a 130 date tour that has soldout every show, would not be problem for the promoter or the band from a financial standpoint.

The only reason not to play a second show is simply image. The image of having the most successful tour in history, but not being able to sellout the final show. I'd say its the bands decision and given the fact that the Stones were not able to sellout two shows at a lower capacity and the fact that the first show is not completely soldout yet, I'd say their probably not going to add the second show unless they get a dramatic boost from the Grammy awards on Wendsday night that could translate into stronger sales than the given situation.

Right now without any sales boost from the Grammy's, I think U2 could sellout the first show and about 25,000 tickets for the second show. I have my doubts about whether a sweep at the Grammy awards would mean that U2 could sell another 10,000 $95 and $165 dollar tickets.

Perhaps it might be better to add a couple of shows at the 10,000 seat arena. Those would sellout easily.

In any event, if U2 just do the one show, they are going to wind up with the GROSS RECORD for the stadium.

trevster2k said:
This is posted over at @U2's blog from earlier this week

"This morning, I wrote the blog article you'll see below the stars. Later on in the day, word came that the 2nd show has been all but "officially" cancelled. (Of course you can't cancel something that was never officially scheduled.) The reason: oversaturation of the marketplace. For whatever reason, Hawaii has turned into a concert mecca in a short amount of time and the tickets aren't selling like concert promoters would like. Over a span of 3 weeks in April, Hawaii will host The Crater Festival with The Steve Miller Band, Linda Ronstadt and more acts to be announced.

You also have Elvis Costello performing with the Honolulu Symphony Pops, as well as the new music event called Kokua Festival starring Hawaii's own native, Jack Johnson, along with Ben Harper and Willie Nelson (and others).

Match this with U2. For a state that very rarely ever gets major artists to perform, this is an amazing lineup of talent in a short amount of time. To put the concerts into perspective, U2's ticket prices range between $49.50-$165. The Crater Festival is asking for $125-$175. Elvis Constello's gig is pricing in at between $40-$90 and finally, Kokua Festival tickets range between a mere $35-$50.

That said, the ticket sales have been slow for U2 (you can *still* pull 4 tickets in a row for the 4/8 show on Ticketmaster). Early reports on ticket sales for the Crater Festival also show sluggish results. People may be choosing to go to the hometown gig for their own Jack Johnson, whose ticket prices are at most $50 and bypassing the more expensive tickets.

So, even though the local promoter wants to see a 2nd U2 show, the venue they're holding the gig in has already been downsized to accommodate the smaller audience. At this rate, tickets still are not selling at the rate of speed TNA would like - and given TNA's practice to not put on sale the full ticket allotment on the first date of a ticket onsale, one could approximate that there are still thousands of tickets available for U2's show. Time, sadly, has not helped the ticket sales.

All of these elements need to be taken into consideration, and as of a few hours ago, the hope that there would indeed be a 2nd U2 show in Hawaii has just about completely faded. From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make sense for the parties involved. From a PR standpoint, it would look really bad to have a less-than-favorable turnout for the last show of a very successful tour. We all remember PopMart's third leg and the lack of ticket sales - the band vowed to never do that again. Those three points alone would point the decision in the direction of "no" in regard to the 2nd gig."

The show has not had the capacity downsized. Only Janet Jacksons concert with a capacity of 38,000 was larger.

U2Girl1978 said:
I did my taxes and I got alot back! :hyper:

Now, I have to book my flight. There's a clearance sale going on on Hotwire. :rockon:

That's awesome, Julie. Great news!!!

I wonder if there was ever an option presented to them to do this in the football configuration. I think it might have been tough for them to sell 50k seats at $95 and $165(on top of all the GA's), so maybe they did the sure thing and opted for the smaller setup, leaving them the option to add a second show if demand met their standards.

for anyone that needs one...

drinks.jpg

weinerdog said:
I wonder if there was ever an option presented to them to do this in the football configuration. I think it might have been tough for them to sell 50k seats at $95 and $165(on top of all the GA's), so maybe they did the sure thing and opted for the smaller setup, leaving them the option to add a second show if demand met their standards.

No one has ever attempted to play to more than 38,000 people for a single show at the stadium. Its unlikely that any artist could attract 50,000+ people to a concert in Hawaii unless it was a festival with multiple artist and a lower ticket price.

U2Girl1978 said:
I did my taxes and I got alot back! :hyper:

Now, I have to book my flight. There's a clearance sale going on on Hotwire. :rockon:

Excellent! I just filed my taxes tonight too, although I'd already figured out what I was getting back as soon as the tax tables went online at the IRS, that's how I knew I could afford to go to Hawaii. :)

Thanks for the drink Lila!
I'm feeling optimistic tonight....ticketmaster seems to only have singles left in upper levels. Yea.
As hope fades for a second show, people (locals) who were holding out for a second show are buying the last few seats. They should never have hyped up the possibility of a second show in the first place, in my opinion. First show will sell out after Grammy awards(which U2 will surely win) which the promoter can then use as a marketing blitz to sell out another stadium date by April 9th. It would be slow....but I think a second show would get pretty close to a sell out. Then I could hopefully have my first GA experience in my home state.

So there, think postitive everyone.

Thank you....good night.
:wink:

Martha, since I didn't make it to the superbowl I might decide to do the show now. I'll let you know in a day or so, I'll have to check out air & hotel prices, unless someone wants to share a room?? It looks like I'd be heading out alone.

shoud have a BIG REFUND!!!!!:wink:

Last edited:
Reserved seats VOLUNTEERS needed for Hawaii - ONE

groups.yahoo.com/group/zootopia_hawaii_2006

Hi!

We're now at 8800 Lokahi-ONE signs for the Hawaii shows....still 30000 signs to go!

We have 16 GA volunteers and 1 reserved seat volunteer to hand out the signs the day of the show. We need MORE volunteers, especially reserved seat people.

Please, it will not take much of your time, if we all join as ONE we can make this happen. Also, please consider printing signs, or discover how you can help, even if you are not going to Hawaii.

Let's give the 4 boys a BLAST of a surprise for their LAST Vertigo show!

Go to the U2 Zootopia Hawaii Yahoo Group:

Email me (hans444@u2.com) if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Hans

We have 15000 signs now! NEED VOLUNTEERS

UPDATE: we have 15000 signs now, but we need MORE volunteers, please see my message above this one for details.

Thank you, Hans

Wow Hans...

Unfortunately, as you can see from our first post, most of us are doing GA, so not sure how much help we can be. At this stage, I would think you're not really in need of many more signs, but rather people with seats.

Why don't you guys email the people from Star 101.9? :hmm:

Last edited:
Re: We have 15000 signs now! NEED VOLUNTEERS

hans444 said:
UPDATE: we have 15000 signs now, but we need MORE volunteers, please see my message above this one for details.

Thank you, Hans

I am still undecided between a seat and GA (also will depend on a second show) - looks like you are covered for GA but if I opt for the seat then I can help out.

mobaby said:

As hope fades for a second show, people (locals) who were holding out for a second show are buying the last few seats. They should never have hyped up the possibility of a second show in the first place, in my opinion.

yeah... I think that is totally what happened!

If nobody knew that there would be 2 shows, the stadium would have sold out the first day that it went onsale.

But if you are left with a upper-level $95 ticket or waiting for the second show, which are you gonna pick?!

I really wish that they just changed the upper-level section to $45 and then they would easily sell-out both shows!

that or play a free show the next day... either of those is fine :)

Hopefully the hints we are getting of "no more second show" is just to make the first show sellout and then they will add a second!

dream out loud indeed...

Re: Reserved seats VOLUNTEERS needed for Hawaii - ONE

hans444 said:

Hi!

We're now at 8800 Lokahi-ONE signs for the Hawaii shows....still 30000 signs to go!

We have 16 GA volunteers and 1 reserved seat volunteer to hand out the signs the day of the show. We need MORE volunteers, especially reserved seat people.

Please, it will not take much of your time, if we all join as ONE we can make this happen. Also, please consider printing signs, or discover how you can help, even if you are not going to Hawaii. ... etc

hey I'm not part of zootopia so I'm not part of that yahoo group

but I'd like to help out hand out the signs for GA

I wonder how they are planning to transport thousands of signs, unless they will be printing them in Hawaii or have fans there who are assisting :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom