Haiku Valley Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

Yeah, the votes dwindled yesterday and have started off slow today.

Hopefully by waiting until Monday to resume, everyone can get some more listening done.

Hopefully.

People are just waiting around, I think. It'll speed up later. Zoots, LMP, and DaveC have been hanging around all day but just haven't felt like voting, and the Aussies will show up when it's not the dead of night over there.

LemonMelon said:

Hopefully.

People are just waiting around, I think. It'll speed up later. Zoots, LMP, and DaveC have been hanging around all day but just haven't felt like voting, and the Aussies will show up when it's not the dead of night over there.

Yo.

I pulled an all-nighter last night for the first time... that was epic.

I didn't vote because I haven't listened to those playlists yet. I don't have an excuse, but I'll try and catch up this weekend.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Yo.

I didn't vote because I haven't listened to those playlists yet. I don't have an excuse, but I'll try and catch up this weekend.

I hate all-nighters. :crack: Of course, I rarely do them just to get work done or whatever.

That's a big issue with the group 4 matches, I think...fewer are voting because they haven't gotten that far yet. Of course, I can't always listen before I vote. Occasionally, I will abstain if I haven't, but not every time.

LemonMelon said:

I hate all-nighters. :crack: Of course, I rarely do them just to get work done or whatever.

That's a big issue with the group 4 matches, I think...fewer are voting because they haven't gotten that far yet. Of course, I can't always listen before I vote. Occasionally, I will abstain if I haven't, but not every time.

Apparently the work paid off, and the rough draft of my research paper won't need much tweaking. I can get my sleep tonight after going to The Lady Friend's place to watch a movie.

Yeah, I totally agree. I've tried to make it a point to avoid voting if I haven't listened to the list all the way this time around, but it's been hard. Won't be the same thing next time around though.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Apparently the work paid off, and the rough draft of my research paper won't need much tweaking. I can get my sleep tonight after going to The Lady Friend's place to watch a movie.

Yeah, I totally agree. I've tried to make it a point to avoid voting if I haven't listened to the list all the way this time around, but it's been hard. Won't be the same thing next time around though.

Make sure it's the most boring film possible so you can rest your eyes a bit.

The way I decide whether or not to abstain is whether or not they're roughly equal in quality on paper. If they are, I'll abstain, but if one is clearly more to my taste and better, I won't. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

Make sure it's the most boring film possible so you can rest your eyes a bit.

The way I decide whether or not to abstain is whether or not they're roughly equal in quality on paper. If they are, I'll abstain, but if one is clearly more to my taste and better, I won't. :shrug:

It's Moulin Rouge. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but she did watch The Big Lebowski and Big Trouble in Little China with me... so it's only fair.

Eh, I'm not sure about voting like that, but if worst comes to worst, I guess that's the way to go. I think more emphasis should be put on actually liking the list over respecting it, you know? I hate to keep bringing up Axver's: it's extremely well-made like his other lists, but it's not something I like. How would that measure up against a less cohesive list, but with more songs to my liking? How would you guys approach that?

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's Moulin Rouge. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but she did watch The Big Lebowski and Big Trouble in Little China with me... so it's only fair.

Eh, I'm not sure about voting like that, but if worst comes to worst, I guess that's the way to go. I think more emphasis should be put on actually liking the list over respecting it, you know? I hate to keep bringing up Axver's: it's extremely well-made like his other lists, but it's not something I like. How would that measure up against a less cohesive list, but with more songs to my liking? How would you guys approach that?

People compare Moulin Rouge and Across The Universe regularly. That's a really bad thing.

It does suck having to vote that way, but at this slower early stage of the tournament every vote counts. Plus, in most cases, your initial reaction to a list is the correct one. But, if you have the time to listen to both before the polls close, then you of course should, no question.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I think it has to be a combination of both. Having a cohesive list where the songs flow naturally is only as good as the songs you actually have on there. In the end, what do you want to listen to over and over if you had the choice?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Yo.

I've never done it. Latest I ever stayed up was 4 AM, sleeping over at my buddy's house. That was great, actually. All we did was just talk into the night, with an occasional video game being played.

phillyfan26 said:

I've never done it. Latest I ever stayed up was 4 AM, sleeping over at my buddy's house. That was great, actually. All we did was just talk into the night, with an occasional video game being played.

If insomnia counts, the longest I've ever stayed up is 24 hours, all the way to 1 PM a couple weekends ago.

The latest I've intentionally stayed up is 6:15 AM.

phanan said:

I think it has to be a combination of both. Having a cohesive list where the songs flow naturally is only as good as the songs you actually have on there. In the end, what do you want to listen to over and over if you had the choice?

True, but I think it hurts the more downbeat lists though. I'd rather listen to L-Mel's list over Screwtape's, but they're just as brilliantly made, but one's more of a downer than the other.

I'll try and come to a consensus before the next round.

I fucking hate game threads, btw.

Can you name an interference member who's name starts with M? This is pressing shit, guys.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I fucking hate game threads, btw.

Can you name an interference member who's name starts with M? This is pressing shit, guys.

Muldfeld.

I do as well. At least in chat threads like this you actually talk about something.

And then there's the people who fucking post in 25 threads in 15 minutes, as if someone else is going to fucking care what they're having for dinner and what the weather is where they live.

phillyfan26 said:

Muldfeld.

I do as well. At least in chat threads like this you actually talk about something.

And then there's the people who fucking post in 25 threads in 15 minutes, as if someone else is going to fucking care what they're having for dinner and what the weather is where they live.

Yes, I do not like it.
As much as Axver hates all
of America.

Did you guys see it
when that guy rickroll'd posters
in the album thread?

phillyfan26 said:

Chat Threads are were it's at; I actually wonder how long this thread will last, I mean Describe is still limping along after a couple of years, I bet Describe is like a portal into the future for what this thread will become :wink:

And I'd like to thank all those who voted for me and Lemonchick's playlist

And curse all those who didn't :wink:

We had an earthquake
This morning at 4:40
The shaking woke me

It just reminds me
That someday a big one
Will kill us all dead

I don't really care
Right now my biggest concern
Is mmm spaghetti

Fun fact about DI4 I've noticed so far:

All odd-numbered matches have a ton more votes than the even-numbered ones. It's bizarre.

the tourist said:
So, what the hell does rickroll mean?

Rick Astley. He released a song called "Never Gonna Give You Up", and when people heard it, they thought he was black. When the music video for it was released, folks found out that he looked like Howdy Doody with bigger hair.

So now, by posting his video for that song as a means of tricking folks, it's a tribute to the original shock of the video, and good fun for all.

the tourist said:
So, what the hell does rickroll mean?

It's when someone links someone else to the song "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley, or its campy video.

Essentially, what this guy did was add beach sounds to the beginning of a track, and 20 seconds in, NGGYU started playing and hilarity ensued.

No spoken words said:

Why are you even here, crap-stick?

Shouldn't you be skipping around your little desert island oasis with your buddy Axver, as he waxes poetic about trains, trams and how America sucks? Fuck Chase Utley, fuck Cole Hamels, fuck Pennsylvania and most importantly, Danimal, fuck you.

YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom