For Cat Lovers Only XV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The vet doesn't really know what's up with Worf this time - maybe bad arthritis. She was given pain medication, metacam, that I'm to try every other day (if she does okay on it and doesn't throw up, have bloody stool/urine - lovely side effects :huh: ) and then take her back to get her blood tested to see if the meticam messed her up - if it works. He didn't seem too concerned about the hair loss.

I just got a call from the vet about Loki's test results. The news isn't good. All his kidney numbers are way too high and the vet is recommending kitty hospitalisation for a couple of days so he can get 24 hour care to give Loki the best chance of getting those numbers down. I really can't afford this now, but I want to give Loki the best chance. :sigh:

I hate this. I just hope I'm not making him suffer more, just because I don't want to let him go. :(

Oh no. :( How old is he? If he can get through the hospitalization ok then he could easily have many more years with a change in diet and/or you giving him subq fluids at home. Our old family cat lived with CRF for 3 years after she was diagnosed until age 19. I know it can seem like they are suffering or feel terrible at times because the disease really has its ups and downs but if they can get him stable he should be ok. :hug:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It helps to be able to tell people who understand what I'm going through. :)

The vet doesn't really know what's up with Worf this time - maybe bad arthritis. She was given pain medication, metacam, that I'm to try every other day (if she does okay on it and doesn't throw up, have bloody stool/urine - lovely side effects :huh: ) and then take her back to get her blood tested to see if the meticam messed her up - if it works. He didn't seem too concerned about the hair loss.

I hope that works. It would be great if it was something a change in medication (or frequency/amount of medication) would correct. Hang in there! :hug:

Oh no. :( How old is he? If he can get through the hospitalization ok then he could easily have many more years with a change in diet and/or you giving him subq fluids at home. Our old family cat lived with CRF for 3 years after she was diagnosed until age 19. I know it can seem like they are suffering or feel terrible at times because the disease really has its ups and downs but if they can get him stable he should be ok. :hug:

We aren't exactly sure how old Loki is because when he came he already obviously had quite a few miles on him. Our best estimate of his age is 15-17, so he's getting up there. Yeah, it does seem if he can get his numbers down and get more stabilised he should be able to have some good quality time left. He does have a very minor heart murmur and very slightly enlarged heart, so that is a concern, but the heart issues don't seem to have gotten worse in the past two years, so that's good news. Also his liver function tested ok, so the problem does seem to be limited to his kidneys. While obviously that is bad enough, at least we don't seem to be dealing with multiple system failure. So Loki is at the vet for a couple of days, so we'll see how it goes.

One cool thing about Loki's illness is that my regular vet is on vacation and the vet covering for her is also at another new clinic which not only is a normal vet office, but also offers 24 hour emergency care. Now there are two big emergency vet places in town already -- one is the vet school hospital and one is a private emergency/specialty center -- but this new one is about half to two thirds the price for most things as the larger operations. Of course, this new place can't do some of the really intense things the larger hospitals can, but for Loki's treatment it's great. They always have at least a couple of techs on duty and a vet is either there or on call all the time.

Well, Loki is home and he's very happy. I think the other cats thought Loki was a goner, because when I brought Loki into the house Isidore looked shocked and I swear he said "Loki, is that really you? Man we thought for sure you were dead!" And then all the other cats had to come and sniff him all over. So Loki's going "Yeah, yeah, it's me and I am still kicking. Now can you just get out of the way -- I gotta pee!!!" :lol:

He was at the 24 hour vet place all weekend and I picked him up a little after noon on Monday and brought him to my regular vet so they could give him subqu fluids and get the rest of his medications and specialty foods. He has at least four different medications to take in addition to the subqu fluids -- he might love me now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the little cat doesn't hate me soon. :crack: His numbers are better, but they are still high. He does seem to be feeling better though. He had to be force fed at the vet, but has eaten some food here. I still think I'm going to have to do some force feeding to make sure he gets enough -- at least for a little while yet.

He has a ways to go before his numbers are close to normal, but so far he is responding to treatment and seems to be feeling better. I'll take that.

Glad to hear Loki is home. It will probably take a while still for the levels to be stabilized. ChiChi's numbers were always above normal, but with the subq fluids it helped keep them down and she always felt SO much better after getting fluids. And she was a pain in the butt because she wouldn't touch the RX food for nothin. So if he eats the food, meds and gets fluids regularly he should be fine. :up:

It looks like Worf probably has cancer of the mesentery (abdominal lining). She has a lot of fluid in her abdomen and the ultrasound showed several nodules. They're running tests on the fluid sample, but most likely it is cancer :(.

The vet gave me an appetite stimulant to try and to keep giving her sub q fluids. We'll see how she does.

I'm sort of relieved to finally have an answer and at the same time really bummed about what the answer is.

It looks like Worf probably has cancer of the mesentery (abdominal lining). She has a lot of fluid in her abdomen and the ultrasound showed several nodules. They're running tests on the fluid sample, but most likely it is cancer :(.

The vet gave me an appetite stimulant to try and to keep giving her sub q fluids. We'll see how she does.

I'm sort of relieved to finally have an answer and at the same time really bummed about what the answer is.

i am truly sorry to hear this news. I totally understand your situation, having your answer as to what is wrong but also such bad news..

My heart is breaking for you and I hope worf will be happy with you at home no matter what happens.

:sad: :hug: x infinity..

Worf was put to sleep this morning. She had trouble breathing last night and couldn't walk.

This was the hardest thing I ever did and my heart is broken.

:sad::sad::sad::sad:
OMG.. I KNOW how hard this is Kelly! Losing Isabella last August was the worst day in my life! My heart is broken into a million pieces for you. We LOVE YOU HERE! :hug: x infinity! If you need a shoulder or ear please contact me!!

I don't remember ever crying so much then that day, my eyes were swollen shut and I was a mess needless to say i didn't go into work that day.

Worf was put to sleep this morning. She had trouble breathing last night and couldn't walk.

This was the hardest thing I ever did and my heart is broken.

I'm so, so sorry to hear this, Kelly. Having BTDT, I know how it rips out your guts. I hope you will be able to cry whenever/as much as you want to, and do whatever it takes to heal that hole in your heart. :sad::hug:

I'm still sad & crying. :scream: :sad:

So sorry kelly - condolences from both Maddy & I (she doesn't visit the forum during the school year it seems). :hug: :hug: :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom