Early demo versions of Out of Control and Another Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Trying to sort out all of U2's early demos, i had come across a version of Out oF Control (i believe it was off the Flying Tigers Box Set Rare Tracks 1979-1993) that is clearly a demo with a length of 4:18. At the very end of the song as music has stopped you can Bono saying "we'll have to do a re-run. I want to hear it"

Now all sources I have looked into say there are only 2 versions of Out of Control (that arent LIVE recordings).
1) The album version on Boy (and thus remastered on Boy Remastering) that lasts approx 4:13 (give or take a few secs), and
2) the version on the U23 EP (that was also included on Boy Remaster Disc 2) and it lasts approx 3:53. (for the record, this one was recorded June 1979 WindMill Lane)

The 4:18 version I am talking about is clearly not the same as the 4:13 Boy version. Anyone know about this 3rd recording?

Another Day:

The only known studio recording I can find documented is the Single version (that was also on Boy Remaster disc 2) lasting approx 3:24 (give or take a few secs).
However, I have heard a version clocked at approx 3:44, with the only difference being a longer extended guitar riff intro. Anyone know anything about this version?

I have the other version of Another Day. It is on an unofficial bootleg disc that I found in a second hand store in 1999 called 'Street Mission'. It is a mix of pre-boy recordings, some of songs that eventually made it to Boy or other official release, some that never got a release(including the title track). There are two versions of Out Of Control on it as well. One is the Three version, I believe, and the other is another demo version, but it's shorter than what you're looking for, clocking in at 3:57.

I can rip these tracks and upload if you like.

Trying to sort out all of U2's early demos, i had come across a version of Out oF Control (i believe it was off the Flying Tigers Box Set Rare Tracks 1979-1993) that is clearly a demo with a length of 4:18. At the very end of the song as music has stopped you can Bono saying "we'll have to do a re-run. I want to hear it"

Now all sources I have looked into say there are only 2 versions of Out of Control (that arent LIVE recordings).
1) The album version on Boy (and thus remastered on Boy Remastering) that lasts approx 4:13 (give or take a few secs), and
2) the version on the U23 EP (that was also included on Boy Remaster Disc 2) and it lasts approx 3:53. (for the record, this one was recorded June 1979 WindMill Lane)

The 4:18 version I am talking about is clearly not the same as the 4:13 Boy version. Anyone know about this 3rd recording?

Another Day:

The only known studio recording I can find documented is the Single version (that was also on Boy Remaster disc 2) lasting approx 3:24 (give or take a few secs).
However, I have heard a version clocked at approx 3:44, with the only difference being a longer extended guitar riff intro. Anyone know anything about this version?

The U2-3 version of Out of Control and Stories for Boys is NOT the same version on the Boy remastered deluxe CD. The Out of Control version found on the remaster is an alternate version/unedited, vocals sound slightly different, an extra bar in the middle, the song runs slightly longer and Stories for Boys has the extra drum roll on the remaster.

I have the other version of Another Day. It is on an unofficial bootleg disc that I found in a second hand store in 1999 called 'Street Mission'. It is a mix of pre-boy recordings, some of songs that eventually made it to Boy or other official release, some that never got a release(including the title track). There are two versions of Out Of Control on it as well. One is the Three version, I believe, and the other is another demo version, but it's shorter than what you're looking for, clocking in at 3:57.

I can rip these tracks and upload if you like.

Sure, I'd love to listen to compare. thx

The U2-3 version of Out of Control and Stories for Boys is NOT the same version on the Boy remastered deluxe CD. The Out of Control version found on the remaster is an alternate version/unedited, vocals sound slightly different, an extra bar in the middle, the song runs slightly longer and Stories for Boys has the extra drum roll on the remaster.

Re: Out of Control, yes these are different mixes on U2-3 and Boy remaster Disc 2, but I always thought they were from the same studio recording WindMill Lane June 1979. Or does anyone know if they recorded Out OF Control on another demo session as well?

Back
Top Bottom