E-bay Fan Club/General Sale Tickets - Intervention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martinuk100

The Fly
I bought my pre-sale tickets today as a Breathe member. I'm going to Wembley Stadium on August 14th. I was very impressed with the process and fairness of allocating the tickets, so credit where it's due.

What I'm not impressed about, is by lunchtime today, people were advertising their Fan Club tickets for sale at £300 a go on e-bay.

I's disgusted by this. OK, it was inevitable it would happen, that scalpers would join U2.Com and look to make a killing. I accept the market for tickets on e-bay, and re-sale.

This is just so blatant though, I wonder whether there should be intervention by Live Nation, and identify these sellers, and revoke their allocation.
:angry:

well maybe it wasnt the smartest thing for u2 to only allow you to use your presale on only one show in europe. for example I would liked to have bought 2 tickets for each dublin show but instead was only able to buy 4 for the first dublin show. I will probably give the 2 spare to my brother but many might sell them instead?

there is nothing to stop it.

If I buy a chair or a car, and I want to sell for the double amount to someone else than that's completely legal. That is the problem with ticket reselling.
A solution is to sell them on name (passport ID) and identify yourself at the venue...Don't know why they never thought of this...probably the will to prevent scalping is not there.

A solution is to sell them on name (passport ID) and identify yourself at the venue...Don't know why they never thought of this...probably the will to prevent scalping is not there.

the technology hasn't allowed for that to happen. just think of how long it takes to board an airplane... then imagine the airplane holds 20,000 people... or more.

there are solutions that have been thought of... some have even been put into practice... things like having your credit card be the actuall ticket. you swipe it at the venue and it lets you in. things such as being able to scan a bar code off your blackberry or other smart phone... which has been put in effect some place.

problem is not everyone going to the concert has a credit card, and not everybody going to the concert has a smart phone.

but of course the more personalized each ticket gets it then makes it harder for people with legit reasons for not being able to go who want to give their tickets to somebody for face value or even less to actually do so... for parents to buy for their kids, etc. etc. daddy doesn't really want junior heading into the city with his credit card or 200 dollar phone.

when it comes down to it it's still a matter of supply and demand. if people refused to pay scalper prices, scalpers wouldn't have jobs. but there's always somebody who is, so there will always be scalpers.

even if this were friggin minority report world and we had computer chips in our head that matched our identity and allowed us to enter a concert, and you had to go through an elaborate computerized system in order to transfer your head chip ticket to somebody else's head fuck chip, there would still be people who'd exchange cash for the head fuck swap.

when it comes down to it it's still a matter of supply and demand. if people refused to pay scalper prices, scalpers wouldn't have jobs. but there's always somebody who is, so there will always be scalpers.

True, and sometimes the scalpers are the artists themselves or the promoter. The WSJ had a recent article on this practice (Concert Tickets Get Set Aside, Marked Up by Artists, Managers - WSJ.com) and they identified Neil Diamond and Van Halen (among several others) as secretly offering premium tickets on scalping sites.

True, and sometimes the scalpers are the artists themselves or the promoter. The WSJ had a recent article on this practice (Concert Tickets Get Set Aside, Marked Up by Artists, Managers - WSJ.com) and they identified Neil Diamond and Van Halen (among several others) as secretly offering premium tickets on scalping sites.

Yeah Trent Reznor had some good thoughts on this

As we approach on-sale dates for the upcoming tour, I've noticed lots of you are curious / concerned / outraged at the plethora of tickets that somehow appear on all these reseller sites at inflated prices - even before the pre-sale dates. I'll do my best to explain the situation as I see it, as well as clarify my organization's stance in the matter.

NIN decides to tour this summer. We arrive at the conclusion outdoor amphitheaters are the right venue for this outing, for a variety of reasons we've throughly considered*. In the past, NIN would sell the shows in each market to local promoters, who then "buy" the show from us to sell to you. Live Nation happens to own all the amphitheaters and bought most of the local promoters - so if you want to play those venues, you're being promoted by Live Nation. Live Nation has had an exclusive deal with TicketMaster that has just expired, so Live Nation launched their own ticketing service. Most of the dates on this tour are through Live Nation, some are through TicketMaster - this is determined by the promoter (Live Nation), not us.
Now we get into the issue of secondary markets for tickets, which is the hot issue here. The ticketing marketplace for rock concerts shows a real lack of sophistication, meaning this: the true market value of some tickets for some concerts is much higher than what the act wants to be perceived as charging. For example, there are some people who would be willing to pay $1,000 and up to be in the best seats for various shows, but MOST acts in the rock / pop world don't want to come off as greedy (bleeps) asking that much, even though the market says its value is that high. The acts know this, the venue knows this, the promoters know this, the ticketing company knows this and the scalpers really know this. So...

The venue, the promoter, the ticketing agency and often the artist camp (artist, management and agent) take tickets from the pool of available seats and feed them directly to the re-seller (which from this point on will be referred to by their true name: SCALPER). I am not saying every one of the above entities all do this, nor am I saying they do it for all shows but this is a very common practice that happens more often than not. There is money to be made and they feel they should participate in it. There are a number of scams they employ to pull this off which is beyond the scope of this note.

StubHub.com is an example of a re-seller / scalper. So is TicketsNow.com.

Here's the rub: TicketMaster has essentially been a monopoly for many years - certainly up until Live Nation's exclusive deal ran out. They could have (and can right now) stop the secondary market dead in its tracks by doing the following: limit the amount of sales per customer, print names on the tickets and require ID / ticket matches at the venue. We know this works because we do it for our pre-sales. Why don't THEY do it? It's obvious - they make a lot of money fueling the secondary market. TicketMaster even bought a re-seller site and often bounces you over to that site to buy tickets (TicketsNow.com)!

NIN gets 10% of the available seats for our own pre-sale. We won a tough (and I mean TOUGH) battle to get the best seats. We require you to sign up at our site (for free) to get tickets. We limit the amount you can buy, we print your name on the tickets and we have our own person let you in a separate entrance where we check your ID to match the ticket. We charge you a surcharge that has been less than TicketMaster's or Live Nation's in all cases so far to pay for the costs of doing this - it's not a profit center for us. We have essentially stopped scalping by doing these things - because we want true fans to be able to get great seats and not get ripped off by these parasites.

I assure you nobody in the NIN camp supplies or supports the practice of supplying tickets to these re-sellers because it's not something we morally feel is the right thing to do. We are leaving money on the table here but it's not always about money.
Being completely honest, it IS something I've had to consider. If people are willing to pay a lot of money to sit up front AND ARE GOING TO ANYWAY thanks to the rigged system, why let that money go into the hands of the scalpers? I'm the one busting my --- up there every night. The conclusion really came down to it not feeling like the right thing to do - simple as that.

My guess as to what will eventually happen if / when Live Nation and TicketMaster merges is that they'll move to an auction or market-based pricing scheme - which will simply mean it will cost a lot more to get a good seat for a hot show. They will simply BECOME the scalper, eliminating them from the mix.

Nothing's going to change until the ticketing entity gets serious about stopping the problem - which of course they don't see as a problem. The ultimate way to hurt scalpers is to not support them. Leave them holding the merchandise. If this subject interests you, check out the following links. Don't buy from scalpers, and be suspect of artists singing the praises of the Live Nation / TicketMaster merger. What's in it for them?

Yeah great post!
I love it when artists come out like this in support of their fans. It must be frustrating actually fighting for 10% of your own tickets!:angry:

U2 are probably big enough to start their own ticketing agency..!

They COULD stamp this out if they wanted to (like NIN) because they have enough power with the promoters.

The thing is I personally don't agree with having to show an ID. It would completely kill the whole trading between fans business, which in my view is totally legitimate as long as no profit is made, and very useful for us. This is how I got most of my U2 tickets in the past because just depending on the official sale is a nightmare.

At the end of the day, you don't have to buy from scalpers. I really don't get people who buy super-inflated tickets on E-Bay etc. as there is really no reason to. I've seen U2 19 times, arguably one of the toughest act to get tickets for in the world, and never paid a dollar above face value for any ticket (most were GAs too).

There is always a way to find tickets without having to pay so much, but if they did the ID thing it would make it much more difficult.

I can't see the ID thing working for 100% of an arena sized show. Maybe the best 50% of the house.

The problem is shows go on sale 6-7 months in advance and people want flexibility.

What I don't understand is how there have been tickets to the Chicago show up on eBay for over a week, even listing section and row, when they don't even go on pre-sale for days yet. :huh:

Scalpers All Over Craigslist & Ebay

Scalpers are already selling tixs at outragious & ridicoulous prices on Craigslist & Ebay:angry:

Ebay Pre Sales

There are a few auctions on Ebay right now for Chicago Bears season ticket holders. They claim that this particular presale begins at 10:00AM on 3/26/09.
You guys in the know, is there any validity to this for us fans wanting to get to Chicago?

Can you or someone else explain what this presale will entail? Do you think that any GA tickets would be available through this presale?

Back
Top Bottom