Dream out Loud pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
If Rosie had been more selfishly motivated she probably would have jumped at Bono's offer, not that it wasn't tempting her, because despite her scorn for him she knew he was telling the truth. If only he wasn't so damned arrogant and egotistical she wasn't sure she would survive working along with him without wanting to hit him at times

"So what did he want?" Jason demanded when Rosie entered the dressing room.

"Oh just to brag about how he got some record contract" Rosie replied "Think he thought I would be impressed I guess he will be getting more bigheaded now"

For some reason, which she wasn't sure about herself she decided not to mention the offer Bono had made for her to join him and U2, no point in upsetting Jason anymore, he would only start ranting and raving all night about it.. and right now she was doing her best not to think about it, she just wanted to dismiss it and put it to the back of her mind.

But later that evening as she walked home with Jason, it wasn't as easy as she thought remembering what Bono said to her she found herself looking at Jason, comparing him to Bono. Yes Jason had musical talent, but he didn't have the same ambitous drive to move onto bigger and better things, If she were truthful Rosie knew that Jason's first love was football, but he couldn't play very well, but he was an avid fan who watched it regularly on tv and spent Saturdays at football matches, she had accompanied him a quite a few times but found it hard to get enthusastic about it as he did. Up until now she had been quite content the way things were going, but Bono's conversation had left her feeling suddenly unsettled

"Jason do you think we could make it big in the music business, you know get a recording contract make an album.. imagine us getting into the charts" Rosie remarked smiling dreamily hope he would get caught up in the excitment that she felt at the thought of it.

But Jason just frowned "listen to you.. that prat Bono has filled your head with dumb idea's about being famous and all that crap.. I can't believe you have fallen for it"

Rosie was stung by his remarks "It has nothing to do with Bono really.. its just I love performing and I would like to make a career out of it, if I could do it... if I was good enough to make it I mean.. just to escape from here, to have the chance to be somebody and leave your mark on the world in big neon lights"

"Yeah well we would all love that" Jason replied "But very few get it, I am not going to waste my hopes on some dream that might never happen, you shouldn't either Rosie, you will only end up disapointed... sure I love playing with the group and performing up on stage, I get a buzz out of it, and I am happy with that but I see it as a pastime and a means to get a break from the dull week, but we got to face the real world, and we aren't big superstars, you are a sales assistant in a record store and I work in a pub.. it might not be glamourous but it brings us a steady wage in and we should just accept that.

"I guess so" Rosie relented sometimes wishing Jason just wasn't so safe and sensible, and finding it strange that these traits which had once drawn her to him, now depressed her a little.

She sighed heavily disappointed that Jason did not see things the way she did or share her dreams, as if in her own way she felt she had to stir him up into some sort of reaction she found herself saying
"As much as I think Bono is a bigheaded pig.. I have to admire him and the others for taking the chance and being able to get the record deal, they might be big and famous after all one day" she finished with a small laugh.

Jason just snorted "Yeah sure they will probably make one album and it will get no where and you will see them playing back in the clubs this time next year... there is too much competition out there.. I don't think they stand a chance myself.. they are not as good as he thinks.. its one thing playing in pubs and clubs in Dublin and being popular.. another thing trying to take on the world wide market.. don't let all that big talk of his go to your head.. you wait and see he will learn the hard way"

Rosie found she didn't share Jason's opinion, and once more felt disappointed by his shortsightedness and lack of imagination, but decided not to argue or say anything, sometimes it was wiser to let it go and keep your opinion to yourself.

Later as she lay in bed that night Rosie didn't get much sleep, Bono's words kept going through her mind about his manager and the record exectives had been watching her and thought she was good, now it had sunk in she got a tiny thrill from knowing it
she wished she could have heard it for herself, the only drawback being to grab such a chance it would have to be on Bono's terms, she liked the rest of the guys ok Adam Larry and Edge, and got on pretty well with them, unlike Jinx they all seem to share the same goal to get established in the music business and make it big, and now they were a step closer to acheiving that.. she guessed their shared drive and ambition had helped them on that score,

She admired and envied them at the same time... Bono wanted her on board.. how would the others feel, they had always praised her singing ability and Edge and Adam had been kind enough to learn her to play on the guitar along with them, but that was in the early days before the serious rivalry set in.. Bono had caused that, claiming that Jinx were a band with no imagination, who just done cover versions of other peoples popular songs, and where too lazy and laid write up something of their own. Jason took exception to Bono's advice to try do something a bit more exciting and original, or U2 would quickly overtake them and they would be hasbeens who were left behind with the times.

He had more than once told Rosie she was wasting her energy being part of Jinx, she had just convinced herself he was full of himself and didnt have a clue what he was talking about.. until tonight.. his words once more echoed in her brain

'You and me.. we got a lot in common, "and that is ambition, not your ordinary everyday ambition, but a burning ambition to be something in this world to make our mark.. to escape this smalltown hellhole we are trapped in.. and we both realise that music can be the key to unlocking that door and getting us on our way'

She was feeling the seductive pull of those words much as much she hated to admit it, as she loked around the small bedroom with its peeling paper black patches of damp fungus in parts of the celings and walls where she had lived most of her life feeling sufficated and trapped.

But could she dare take that chance he offered, in a way Jason had a point she might not have much, but she did have a good steady job and apart from his lack of ambition and imagination Jason was good to her he made her feel safe and secure, giving her the attnetion she craved that she had not recieved from her parents..

Her father had walked out on her when she had just been six years old, her mother, had taken to drinking a lot and it had ended up Rosie had become the responsible one taking care of the house and her mother who if she got the chance would spend all the money on alcohol, and fighting with her boyfriend Sean who lived with them, and was almost as bad as her mother with the drink, Rosie had accepted her lot in life.

But whilist doing so at night when she was by herself to escape from listening to her motherd drunken brawls she would lose herself in her dreams of escaping to better things, music had been her only comfort in her darkest days she had sat listeing to the small radio in her bedroom, letting it take her to another place where she was happy and forget all about the things going on around her.

Music had always been her escape, Now it was in a much grander scale after what Bono had told her tonight, but could it become genuine reality and not some hopeless pipe dream that Jason claimed would only lead to dissapointment she still wasn't sure if she was ready to take that chance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom