Don't ask - Don't tell - RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

He felt his life calling was to be a soldier, but you(and so many others) obviously don't want him there, so now he should change his "calling"? Why, your bigotry? Please.

There's nothing objective or pragmatic about your stance, so don't even try to pass it off as that...

D-

Name calling only makes you look weak.

Being a soilder has with it certain sacrifices that you are required to make, some more difficult more than for others, as in his case.

He was cognizant of this- he chose not to abide by the military's regulations.

Had he abided by those regulations he could have lived his life longer and persued his goals more effectively.

<>

diamond said:

D-

Being a soilder has with it certain sacrifices that you are required to make, some more difficult more than for others, as in his case.

Had he abided by those regulations he could have lived his life longer and persued his goals more effectively.

<>

you honestly have no idea of what you are talking about.

he wasn't "out" in the military in a way that would have violated DADT, but he worked within the military, within the system, within the accepted parameters, to end DADT. there are straight soldiers who do the same thing -- they aren't gay, but they disagree with the policy, so they seek to get the military to change from the inside out.

however, all of his friends and family outside the military knew he was gay. in fact, many in the military knew he was gay, but you have to specifically violate DADT for it to become a problem. he obviously never did that. so he really was a soldier, who was gay, and who thought that by being the best soldier he could be he could change the minds of those who support DADT.

diamond said:

D-

<>

Name calling?:huh:

Then what does not knowing what you are talking about and doing it with such authority make one look like?

Wow -

I guess MLK was an inerloper for trying to change the system as well! Well, maybe they should have left the country and changed it from the ouside, since the rules and regulations were in place in the south - they were interlopers for not obeying.

Damn trouble makers.

Excellent point Dread, however MLK was born here without a choice, people have a choice whether to serve in the military or not.

MLK completed his mission the right way, within the framework of the law more or less, predicted his own death and ultimately gave his life for his cause and did this-consciously.

dbs

Dreadsox said:
Wow -

I guess MLK was an inerloper for trying to change the system as well! Well, maybe they should have left the country and changed it from the ouside, since the rules and regulations were in place in the south - they were interlopers for not obeying.

Damn trouble makers.

robert_mugabe.jpg

That's what he's been saying all along. Ungrateful traitors. :tsk:

twisting and perverting the intent and meaning of well written posts=shameful.

interloper:
3. Archaic
a. One that trespasses on a trade monopoly, as by conducting unauthorized trade in an area designated to a chartered company.

as for me this discussion is over.

dbs

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
Excellent point Dread, however MLK was born here without a choice, people have a choice whether to serve in the military or not.

MLK completed his mission the right way, within the framework of the law more or less, predicted his own death and ultimately gave his life for his cause and did this-consciously.

Gay American are born here without choice. They want to join the service and protect their country. There is no difference. Other countries allow their service without question.

Your argument makes the military sound like its a country club - and someone is trying to get into it. Its not, and Gays and Women should be allowed to serve in ANY CAPACITY.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Gay American are born here without choice. .

Whole different topic, where the jury is still out, the story remains to be told and the military isn't on page with most here.

Hence the need to make a martyr out of a soldier who died serving his country.

Ok, I'm done.

Promise.

dbs

diamond said:

Whole different topic, where the jury is still out, the story remains to be told and the military isn't on page with most here.

despite the fact that the armed forces in the UK, France, Israel, Australia, etc., don't discriminate against gay citizens -- and many, many in the military are gay and serving right now -- it seems that, you're right, there are some in the US who cling to a world where the jury is still out. and, in this world, the jury is still out on evolution, global warming, man landing on the moon, the existence of Bigfoot, and whether or not you'll fall off the earth if you reach the end.

i believe:

we sprang from God and not a caveman named Todd
we landed on the moon
climate change doesn't necessarily mean global warming
the earth is round and doesn't revolve around you or i, but a much higher higher source
that bigfoot doesn't actually exist but it is more the product of mass hysteria, were it not so-it would be next week's newest reality tv show.

like my rhymes don't you boo boo?

:)

<>

Last edited:
all those rhymes and then the emoticons ... i think the jury is out on whether or not you're straight, Mr. Diamond.

diamond said:

dbs

"Completed his mission the right way, within the framework of the law".. at the age of 39? Oh my God.. you don't really have a clue do you?
Just because he said, "I may not get there with you" doesn't mean he wanted to commit suicide. He was killed, but it wasn't something he wanted for himself.
Sorry... I know this isn't a MLK thread. I just took offense to this statement.

diamond said:
twisting and perverting the intent and meaning of well written posts=shameful.

interloper:

3. Archaic
a. One that trespasses on a trade monopoly, as by conducting unauthorized trade in an area designated to a chartered company.

That one word isn't the issue, the rest of your posts in this thread speak volumes. So for you to act as if anyone is twisting and perverting the meaning of anything because of that one word-well it really doesn't ring true, sorry.

Even if it all came down to that one word, are you saying he was trespassing in the military because he was "unauthorized" to be there? If you translate it literally from what you posted, well..But I guess I'm just being shameful by twisting the meaning of your well written posts.

anitram said:
And yet, entirely unsurprising.

And just think...all you need to do is self-identify as a "conservative," and a whole world consequence-free bigotry and ignorance is open to you.

Liberals, though, are supposed to "tolerate" everyone, and are judged accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom