Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in people's thoughts about the guitar in the second verse. It seems like the two parts have been transcribed for one guitar. Perhaps so it could be played live, with the brass 'filling out' the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Thoroughly enjoyed the new version. Only heard it once so far, but considering this was a weaker song on a masterpiece, they did a nice job of re-doing it.

I don't know if anyone noticed this or has mentioned it...

I got the Vinyl rip from one of the MU links, and listened to track. Clearly a vinyl rip with hiss and clicks.

I added it to my iTunes library (I have iTunes Match and Apple Music). Then, when I played the song on my phone I noticed the hiss and clicks were gone. At first, I thought it was just the earpods and me being on the street. But when I came home I deleted the song from my laptop (the song stays in the cloud) and to my surprise, IT IS a different file with no hiss or clicks! It's a clean mp3 file straight from the master.

I recommend anyone with iTunes Match try it.

Sorry if it had been mentioned before.
:up:

Thanks!

So… Bono literally said in that interview that the reason Red Hill wasn't in the live set back in 1987 is because he was straining to hit those notes.

Where are the users who claimed that wasn't the case? Show yourselves, receive a free helping of crow.

So… Bono literally said in that interview that the reason Red Hill wasn't in the live set back in 1987 is because he was straining to hit those notes.

Where are the users who claimed that wasn't the case? Show yourselves, receive a free helping of crow.

I already know the line they're going to say when they hear that interview...

Ha! I just totally laughed listening to that and posted it on Facebook, like HA HA FINALLY BELATED VALIDATION!

:lol:

"I used to write songs that I couldn't sing. And sometimes that was okay, because the straining for the note I couldn't sing was part of the drama. But occasionally, it would really, like, wreck the next show. So I just left Red Hill Mining Town off."

BBC Radio 2 - The Chris Evans Breakfast Show, Bono and Volcanoes, Bono tells Chris about U2's first practice of The Joshua Tree in 30 years!

Yeah, I'm not sure why some tried to argue against that given that it was basically a known fact, but part of the problem was The Edge dissing out a lot of misinformation. He said an interview that they didn't perform it, instead, because it was mid-tempo and that it was going to be their first single...

The re-recording of the vocal in the first place was obviously because he couldn't match it live on this tour, but as I said earlier, it's a fine omen that they really want to nail these 11 songs. I really don't think we're going to be stuck with acoustic cop-outs, especially when people are paying top dollar to be able to hear a track like In God's Country live the way it should be.

The new mix is fine, but I don't see why this has to exist. I don't see a reason to re-do a decades old song unless it's an EBTTRT Fish Out of Water-style reimagining.

honestly, this may be the first time Bono's actually said it in public. But I don't care. Now I can stick with my story. :p

Yeah, I'm not sure why some tried to argue against that given that it was basically a known fact, but part of the problem was The Edge dissing out a lot of misinformation. He said an interview that they didn't perform it, instead, because it was mid-tempo and that it was going to be their first single...

The re-recording of the vocal in the first place was obviously because he couldn't match it live on this tour, but as I said earlier, it's a fine omen that they really want to nail these 11 songs. I really don't think we're going to be stuck with acoustic cop-outs, especially when people are paying top dollar to be able to hear a track like In God's Country live the way it should be.

well there's one small error there... if he rerecorded it specifically because he couldn't sing it, why didn't he rerecord the hardest parts to sing?

Because now, as he said in the interview, he knows how to sing so he doesn't trash his voice (or something to that effect).

But yeah, it's a weird choice to record new verses but not the full song.

The cowards / playground bullies on this board? Fat chance. I said they didn't play it due to the vocal difficulty fairly recently...and of course I got slaughtered for it.

A lot of kids around here would rather argue for the sake of the argument instead of just owning up to the obvious.

Anyway, troll away, children. It's time for your "Larry's not on board" jokes and corny memes.

I'll be back to serve some more crow once it's proved I was right (again.)

:wave:

Last edited:
:shrug:

4TNJ5ZE.jpg

The cowards / playground bullies on this board? Fat chance. I said they didn't play it due to the vocal difficulty fairly recently...and of course I got slaughtered for it.

A lot of kids around here would rather argue for the sake of the argument instead of just owning up to the obvious.

Anyway, troll away, children. It's time for your "Larry's not on board" jokes and corny memes.

I'll be back to serve some more crow once it's proved I was right (again.)

:wave:

There really weren't that many, and to be fair they had a point, no one really could find any hard evidence to support the claim.

There really weren't that many, and to be fair they had a point, no one really could find any hard evidence to support the claim.

That was the weird part. I'd been saying it for years but whatever source I might've had I have long since forgotten, and nobody else produced anything. So I started to doubt, wondering if it was just some old factoid, i.e. something misleading repeated often enough to have the feel of truth. But here we go, the old story is right after all.

That was the weird part. I'd been saying it for years but whatever source I might've had I have long since forgotten, and nobody else produced anything. So I started to doubt, wondering if it was just some old factoid, i.e. something misleading repeated often enough to have the feel of truth. But here we go, the old story is right after all.

Same here.

Both copies from this transcode rip are pretty terrible to judge the EQ of the mix. God, I hate transcode rips with every fiber of my being.

I dunno, the brass and strings are a bit much.

The louder guitars and backups vocals are nice though.

Occam's Razor. The notes in the chorus are really high.

My favorite reason why a song's never been played is When I Look at the World - The Edge literally forgot how to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom