Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so in liberal old New Zealand we have a member of parliament who is a practising rastafarian. He has calf length dreads and openly discusses his marijuana use. He insists that he only uses it in religious ceremonies, and in "reasonings" (I think thats what they're called.) Where people do conflict resolution with a spliff. The media give him shit, but everyone else thinks he's the man.

Check out Nandor for yourself.

http://www.greens.org.nz/people/tanczos_n.asp

(We also had the world's first transexual MP. Georgina Beyers, who also did very well in Dancing with the Stars.)

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:
Bono seems to be more anti drug abuse than anti drugs. I've never heard him railing against drugs in general, except heroin. And the difference between pot and heroin on the drug scale is like the difference between giving someone an overly enthusiastic high five on a cold morning and stabbing them in the face repeatedly with a rusty fishing knife. Daniel Johns has backtracked with, basically, "It's all true!.... Apart from the weed!" My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle. They were all there, listening to the demos on a sunny summer afternoon at a huge mansion right on Sydney Harbour, and Daniel Johns - who has openly talked of his love of the 'erb on more than a few occasions - had some weed. Some people smoked. DEFINITELY NOT THE RESPONSIBLE POLITICIAN THOUGH! LET'S MAKE THAT VERY CLEAR! lol...
I agree with this.

They are both well known to be very anti-drugs so that's why I assumed everybody would know I was joking when I made that comment.
Now, it's been pointed out in this thread that Bono actually isn't specifically well known to be anti-drugs, and we'd know, because we're the obsessed fans. We know what colour socks he wears (purple), so we'd know about that.
But maybe Daniel Johns made a bit of an assumption that Bono was well known to be against drugs. None of us have actually hung out with Bono, for all we know he could be against drugs in his personal life. Just because he hasn't gone and done a "Just say no!" commercial doesn't mean he's not.
I don't get high, and that's a personal choice. But I don't go around telling my friends not to. I don't agree with it, but it's not my business to tell anyone else what to do. I just request that they don't do it around me. Maybe Bono's the same way. Maybe Daniel Johns knows something that we don't. And maybe he assumed everyone knows that :shrug:
Or maybe it's even simpler than that. Bono's a rather clean-cut humanitarian that hangs out with presidents and world leaders. Most people wouldn't look at him and think "Stoner!", so maybe because of that, Daniel Johns assumed people would realize it was a joke. I mean, Bono's not exactly Keith Richards. That man joked that he snorted his father's ashes and everyone believed him.

If he wanted to name drop them he should have told the press they were listening to his demos while having a threesome. Now THAT would be freakin funny.

Maybe if Bono would get heavy into drugs he'd start making darker and more creative music. Heroine FTW! I heard that Pink Floyd's best stuff was written while Waters was high on horse tranquilizer.

Last edited:
unico said:

That's why the "A Grand Madness" video was hilarious. He wasn't hyper at all. I don't know too many people that get "hyper" from pot anyway. Isn't it a depressant?

But yeah, check out the video. I couldn't stop laughing.

He looks different in that video than any other interview/video of U2 I've seen.

shart1780 said:
If he wanted to name drop them he should have told the press they were listening to his demos while having a threesome. Now THAT would be freakin funny.

Maybe if Bono would get heavy into drugs he'd start making darker and more creative music. Heroine FTW! I heard that Pink Floyd's best stuff was written while Waters was high on horse tranquilizer.

I can just hope you are being sarcastic here.

Really creative people don't need drugs.

Drugs destroy your creativity and make you ugly.

I think you just made very blunt statements that many people won't find agreeable, but I see no reason for any anti/pro drug debate.

I would like to hear the interview. Until then though, I just think Johns was trying to act a little cool and is just really bad at coming up with what he thinks to be 'jokes'. I get the impression he'd namedrop drugs like a 13 year old in an awkward social situation.

I think he was jus' tryin' 2 b cool... but he's no Keith Richards, no. He could say anything and I don't think we'd be surpirsed. It'd be more, "which wrinkle does that drug account for?"

unico said:

That's why the "A Grand Madness" video was hilarious.
But yeah, check out the video. I couldn't stop laughing.

Where can I find this video? I did a search on You tube and did not come up with anything... :huh:

thanks!

unico said:
I didn't know Bono was anti-drugs :scratch: I just remember him saying that drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes were bad for you, but clearly he does all.

Has anyone seen when they were on A Grand Madness after a Popmart show? :lol: yeah, tell me Bono wasn't high in that one.

Regarding the politician...I mean, as long as he didn't inhale he's okay, right? :wink:

The only high Bono was on here was a performance high. They came right offstage into the interview. Bono doesn't come down from the adrenaline rush for a while. Many books and articles about the band talk about how out of it Bono is when he comes offstage.

Dana

rihannsu said:

The only high Bono was on here was a performance high. They came right offstage into the interview. Bono doesn't come down from the adrenaline rush for a while. Many books and articles about the band talk about how out of it Bono is when he comes offstage.

Dana

:shrug: well of course he will have an adrenaline rush right after performing a show. adrenaline rush is not your typical reaction to depressant. he wasn't hyper in that video. he was the most low-key i've ever seen him in an interview.

Last edited:
In case the other link that was posted doesn't work, try this one.

http://www.m u.com/?d=008JW099

It's m e g a u p l o a d, you know the drill

Dana

Last edited:
unico said:

:shrug: well of course he will have an adrenaline rush right after performing a show. adrenaline rush is not your typical reaction to depressant. he wasn't hyper in that video. he was the most low-key i've ever seen him in an interview.

The hyperness of the adrenaline rush pretty much burns up during the show. The effects of having sustained high levels of adrenaline for a couple of hours manifest in different ways. Bono in particular gets very spacey in the aftermath. The post concert effect is not hyperactivity but often really spaced out rambling incoherence. I think he came off as low key because he was having to work really hard to stay relatively focused for the interview. Time must have been tight for this because they usually let Bono get his head together a bit more after concerts.

Dana

Earnie Shavers said:
Daniel Johns has backtracked with, basically, "It's all true!.... Apart from the weed!" My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle. They were all there, listening to the demos on a sunny summer afternoon at a huge mansion right on Sydney Harbour, and Daniel Johns - who has openly talked of his love of the 'erb on more than a few occasions - had some weed. Some people smoked. DEFINITELY NOT THE RESPONSIBLE POLITICIAN THOUGH! LET'S MAKE THAT VERY CLEAR! lol...

:lmao:

I think you nailed it. :yes:

I mean lets face it, lounging around with some friends and sharing a family sized spliff or two is the perfect way to listen to a new album. :)

I also suspect a lot of politicians smoke pot at least occasionally even if they vehemently deny it.

Well yesterday Nick Minchin, one of most conservative politicians in Australia and a member of the Liberal Party (who most certainly aren't) announced that he "of course smoked dope". :ohmy: There wouldn't be an election coming up and there wouldn't be a courting of the youth vote..... :no:

bono_man said:

lol. So it wasnt the horse tranquiliser that did that?

Thats the worst example I have ever seen. I laugh at you. I point and laugh at you.

fuck you marijuna on its own does trigger schizophrenia even if my example doesn't illustrate that

It's amazing the things people go out of their way to defend- illegal, harmful drugs

jonnytakeawalk said:

I said before yes it was no doubt the horse tranquiliser that induced the schitzophrenia in this case but that doesn't dispute the fact that marijuna is still also responsible for inducing schitzophrenia.

How? How does that prove anything about pot?!

There are studies that fairly strongly suggest the use of marijuana (especially heavy use) in young people genetically at risk for schizophrenia may trigger the earlier onset of the disease and may make existing schizophrenia worse.

But from what I've read about the research, people who aren't predisposed to schizophrenia aren't going to develop it from smoking pot, especially if they wait until they are adults to do so. It's pretty simple -- if you have a family history of severe mental illness, don't smoke pot. Most others should be just fine. :shrug:

indra said:
But from what I've read about the research, people who aren't predisposed to schizophrenia aren't going to develop it from smoking pot, especially if they wait until they are adults to do so. It's pretty simple -- if you have a family history of severe mental illness, don't smoke pot. Most others should be just fine. :shrug:

How does anyone know if they're predisposed to schizophrenia?? Even if you don't have a family history of the disease is it worth the risk?? It HAS been medically proven marijuna smokers are twice as likely to develop schizophrenia

rihannsu said:

The hyperness of the adrenaline rush pretty much burns up during the show. The effects of having sustained high levels of adrenaline for a couple of hours manifest in different ways. Bono in particular gets very spacey in the aftermath. The post concert effect is not hyperactivity but often really spaced out rambling incoherence. I think he came off as low key because he was having to work really hard to stay relatively focused for the interview. Time must have been tight for this because they usually let Bono get his head together a bit more after concerts.

Dana
I think most people don't get that you're in an EXTREME state of mind doing a show like that. The tension, the adrenaline, the stress and the relief afterwards have similar effects on your brain to drugs. I am not saying that I totally deny the fact that Bono or any other member of the band has ever taken drugs, I find it very possible, but I wouldn't attribute strange behaviour after a concert to drug use, as there are other factors involved. I am not a performer, but I have gone through situations where I got extremely "high" on adrenaline, almost euphoric, and then came down into a very strange state of mind where I had problems articulating myself. This can lead into depression quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom