College/Sick of My Friends & havent seen them!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
well ill be moving in as a freshman this year into college & a new state.
Everyone is changing and not in a good way at all! Like my one friend Juli got her first boyfriend and she has changed so much and not for the better. I feel like I cant even get a word in with her and shes always texting him when we're together. I havent bothered saying anything because I've been thinking who cares really? Its not like we will stay friends.
I havent seen alot of my close friends over the summer like we promised. I've barely talked to them too. I feel like I have to keep the friendship going and if thats how it is, I'm through. And I'm sick of them even though I havent seen them! I feel like I dont even want to see them anymore.
Is this just a normal thing the summer before college? Because it seems like the people I'm about to go to school with are hanging onto their high school friends to dear life.
I'm a little pissed at them all for this. I feel like I maybe being a bit unfair but then again I am the one texting them and attempting to keep our friendships going. I dunno I'm starting to think that maybe this is a defense mechanism of some sort, so itll be easier to let go??
X

I think it's pretty normal to move on after high school and develop new friends. In almost any situation where you are with a group of people a lot -- high school, college, work, etc. -- you will make friends, but most of those friendships will only last as long as you are in that situation. You will probably have a few people during your life that will be friends no matter what the situation is, but most of your friends will be school friends, or work friends, or church friends, or club friends, etc. -- situational friends -- and when you are no longer in the same situation anymore the friendship will fade. I think that's pretty normal.

Ive been with the same friend for 17 years, everyone else has come and gone but he's stayed with me. Everyone outside the inner circle drops in and drops out, so its quite a normal situation.

Things do like that happen. The only friend I still keep in touch with is one who lives in Boston. It's stages of life, and there will be a few to come, my friend. :hug:

Yep, it's a common thing after high school. I only moved an hour away for college, and while I am friends with many of the people I was in high school, there are many I am not, and even the ones I am I don't necessarily see or talk to that often. there were definitely people I didn't even hang out with the summer before college really.

Don't worry, you'll make new friends in college for sure, and even if you don't hang out with your old friends as much, you can still hang out sometimes :up:

Ditto to what everyone else has said. The friends you stay in touch with without much angst or effort are the ones you'll have for a lifetime. Others will come and go from your life. You'll meet so many new people in the dorms, some awesome, some awful and when you come home to visit, you'll know who you want to make the effort to keep in touch with. :hug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom