Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because the very foundation of this thread was built on oversharing...

i'm really not looking forward to graduating (ikr finally) in december. like, i'm dreading it. it's not the whole "back to the real world" thing, i mean i'm working right now. i guess it's just this department is made up of so many good professors and students. i'll miss it. i can't even get a master's here, there's no program remotely like what i'm looking at for grad school.

k i'm shutting up now

I'm scared of venturing out into the "real world". OK sure I've been actually properly employed under my own steam in academia for over a year now, but I'm worried the projects I'm associated with will wind up early next year and it could be hard to get something new. The idea of going beyond academia is deeply unpleasant to me - especially because I know I'd have trouble replicating my current perk of a private office! But then this past year has fallen together much better than I expected, so perhaps I shouldn't be so wary and pessimistic.

because the very foundation of this thread was built on oversharing...

i'm really not looking forward to graduating (ikr finally) in december. like, i'm dreading it. it's not the whole "back to the real world" thing, i mean i'm working right now. i guess it's just this department is made up of so many good professors and students. i'll miss it. i can't even get a master's here, there's no program remotely like what i'm looking at for grad school.

k i'm shutting up now

:wave:
You are not alone. I've taken most of this year as a very late "gap year" to travel, at 26. Basically I'd always had some sort of job since I was 16 and have had a lot of shit go down over the past 4 years. So we've had no income for the past few months and my wife hasn't been able to work since 2011. The job market appears tough enough to break into back home, I'm nervous about maybe being unemployed for a long time. We all just have to stay positive I guess :shrug:

this is a soooooooooooooooooooooooaaahhhhoooooooooooooooooaahhhhhhooooooonnnnngggg for someone

Hey, you know how it is

Cobbler - any night you get to recreate an infamous album cover is a good night by your books?

a great night. one of the highlights of my year. so fucking happy i've made new friends since moving out.

Me and my friend (who has a Masters in International Relations) were joking about how we are over qualified for junior positions at companies at this point, applying to be receptionists at places and getting horribly rejected, and so regretting doing a Masters. Eek. The market is terrible basically everywhere, though. Not that that's an uplifting statement, it's just realistic.

this is a soooooooooooooooooooooooaaahhhhoooooooooooooooooaahhhhhhooooooonnnnngggg for someone

a great night. one of the highlights of my year. so fucking happy i've made new friends since moving out.

Fucking grand, duder.

It's a good thing we can't edit thread titles, though - I was thinking about going "Scotland, United Kingdom" and then realised it might not be accurate come tomorrow.

I have no particularly good, well reasoned argument for this, but I really do hope that is inaccurate come tomorrow.

I'd like to see the Tories and the monarchs squirm, so there's that. I hope it happens.

The economic arguments against Scottish independence are because it'd harm the UK and the EU, not because it'd harm Scotland themselves. It's a risky move - but I think for the benefits it could possibly bring, Scotland should go for it.

I don't know, I have a couple of friends in Scotland on the no side who frame the economic argument entirely in Scot-centric terms, e.g. what if the oil runs out? Also the currency issue is a pretty difficult one; that one I will pay as a reason for pause. But so much of the no argument is unimaginative or lazy. Of course independence won't be perfectly smooth, but nor will staying in the UK.

I'd like to see the Tories and the monarchs squirm, so there's that. I hope it happens.

Haha yes, true.

I agree with the general sentiment of the last page: My Master's had me terrified for months that I was never going to find a job. Thankfully, I just took a page out of everyone else's Hollywood story and just jumped in with both feet, and things ended up OK.

Folks, this is your big chance to sway me in my predictions for U2gigs from albums between and including War to HTDAAB. Do you have a gut feeling about a deep cut from Zooropa or a b-side from UF? Do you think this tour a neglected non-album single from a soundtrack or compilation will get a run? Is there a tired warhorse that you think is going to be set to the glue factory? Try to sway my thinking! I may even credit you. WHAT AN HONOUR. :happy:

SURE

Where Did It All Go Wrong? for the obligatory "let's trot out a song we haven't played from Achtung in two tours" song, as they'll never play Acrobat, and So Cruel doesn't work live in the studio arrangement - surely Bono has another acoustic song to play. Tryin to Throw Your Arms is too mellow to be played in a stadium. Wrong just fuckin rocks.

I'm really pulling for Promenade as a mid-set breather, and a nod to UF - MLK was really frequent on 360, and so giving that a break and putting Promenade in would work well. Also fits with the "coming home" theme pretty well.

There'll be a Big Country snippet somewhere.

God Part II as the "not often played, industrial sounding rocker" slot that Zoo Station and Hold Me, Pill Me, Hiss Me, Till Me filled on the past two tours.

Hah, we are in total agreement on Promenade and God Part II.

I wish I agreed with you on Where Did It All Go Wrong. I love that song, but it's waaaayyyy too obscure. They'd do Acrobat sooner.

Folks, this is your big chance to sway me in my predictions for U2gigs from albums between and including War to HTDAAB. Do you have a gut feeling about a deep cut from Zooropa or a b-side from UF? Do you think this tour a neglected non-album single from a soundtrack or compilation will get a run? Is there a tired warhorse that you think is going to be set to the glue factory? Try to sway my thinking! I may even credit you. WHAT AN HONOUR. :happy:

Here's my prediction. Bono walks out onto an unlit stage and holds up a pig's head on a stick. "Hey, we're The Hype and this is our first single. Art. Fuck."

Maybe this is a little conservative of me, but it's just my gut feeling, but I can't sit here and believe that a 16 year old has any clue on how to vote for a topic like this. I'm not saying that a 16 or a 17 year old (hell, even an 18 or 19 year old, etc.) can't understand a topic. I'm saying they haven't lived anywhere near long enough to understand the long-running implications of a decision like this. Going further, I'd be likely to believe that in ten years, those same 16 and 17 year olds will have a much different opinion on the topic, once they've seen more of life. It's the nature of things. Any of us in here, I think, spent that period of our lives (I'm talking in hindsight now, having turned 27 :sad: ) fleshing out our belief/political systems. That's not to say people can't figure things out sooner, or later, but I'm just saying, it seems to me like, ten years from now, those poll results would look very similar.

And that's assuming that the situation in the UK stays status quo, if parliament keeps THE VOW then there might be even less reason for Scotland to go.

Just basing this on my own personal experience, but most of the kids I went to high school with, should they be given the ability to vote on a topic like this, their response would have likely been: Fuck Yeah! Independence! Revolution, bitches! Vote Yes!! WOOOOO, etc.

Maybe this is a little conservative of me, but it's just my gut feeling, but I can't sit here and believe that a 16 year old has any clue on how to vote for a topic like this. I'm not saying that a 16 or a 17 year old (hell, even an 18 or 19 year old, etc.) can't understand a topic. I'm saying they haven't lived anywhere near long enough to understand the long-running implications of a decision like this. Going further, I'd be likely to believe that in ten years, those same 16 and 17 year olds will have a much different opinion on the topic, once they've seen more of life. It's the nature of things. Any of us in here, I think, spent that period of our lives (I'm talking in hindsight now, having turned 27 :sad: ) fleshing out our belief/political systems. That's not to say people can't figure things out sooner, or later, but I'm just saying, it seems to me like, ten years from now, those poll results would look very similar.

And that's assuming that the situation in the UK stays status quo, if parliament keeps THE VOW then there might be even less reason for Scotland to go.

Just basing this on my own personal experience, but most of the kids I went to high school with, should they be given the ability to vote on a topic like this, their response would have likely been: Fuck Yeah! Independence! Revolution, bitches! Vote Yes!! WOOOOO, etc.

Well, the question then becomes "what's the point at which people become cognisant enough to be able to understand the implications of this decision"? We all sit here and say we don't feel like adults, we don't feel grown up, and it's not like there's a tipping point where the entire population knows their belief system is set in stone. There are plenty of people in their fourties who don't have any interest or understanding of the implications of political decisions.

(I'm far too cynical to believe that the British government will do anything for Scotland in response to these results, though. 55% is a little too high for the no's to put a massive amount of pressure on Westminster.)

Last edited:
I think it's more than enough to put pressure on Westminster. Keep in mind that a significant proportion of the no vote comes from supporters of "devo max". If that had been a third option, I'm sceptical no would have got beyond 30%, or even 25%.

Well, the question then becomes "what's the point at which people become cognisant enough to be able to understand the implications of this decision"? We all sit here and say we don't feel like adults, we don't feel grown up, and it's not like there's a tipping point where the entire population knows their belief system is set in stone. There are plenty of people in their fourties who don't have any interest or understanding of the implications of political decisions.

(I'm far too cynical to believe that the British government will do anything for Scotland in response to these results, though. 55% is a little too high for the no's to put a massive amount of pressure on Westminster.)

There needs to be a line though, I mean, what do you do, just keep lowering it and lowering it? This appeared to be a little bit strategic, younger voters were almost guaranteed to support leaving.

So did you read then? Do I need to throw out my bulleted list of summation?

Nope. Please do share your bullet points!

I'm going to take this to mean the album has not made a significant dent on your life.

It sure made a dent in my composure last Wednesday night when I was fighting with iTunes and a demonically possessed keyboard while trying to remind myself that I DON'T CARE THAT MUCH about the bloody album. *L*

Re: Scotland... As a thoroughly unaffected Aussie with an English mother, I'm glad to see them stay in the UK, although having spoken with my pro-independence Scottish friend has given me an appreciation that the Yes vote isn't just old grudges from 300 years ago. If an independent Scotland could do with their oil revenue what Norway and other Scandinavian countries have done with theirs, and invest it as a buffer against future depletion of reserves, then I think it could be viable.

And if Westminster doesn't follow through on that Devo vow thing (does it actually have anything to do with those guys in the red hats?), then I would imagine the resentment from the cautious No vote could push things the other way.

But mostly I just like being able to travel freely all over the UK on one passport. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom