Chicago 3 Setlist Party - Ballroom at last??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One was kinda a downer after everything. the Invisible snippet is kinda cool though I'm definitely team "hear us coming" over "shine like stars" in terms of obscure snippets

Hi everyone, so I'm the guy who got to sing Desire with the band tonight! I just got home and can't even begin to describe how awesome it is was.

I met Sean outside the gig earlier today (I think he is Harbinger here on the forum) and found out he was partially blind and knew how to play guitar. I asked Bono outside if they were going to play Desire tonight, if they need a singer I can sing it, and Sean can play guitar. Bono said ok, I'll look for you later. He did, called us both up & the rest is history. The best part about this to me is Sean- he's partially blind, and a lefty guitar player. He turned Edge's guitar upside down to play it- how cool is that?! That's clutch.

I personally whispered to Bono as the song ended that they've made me a better person, and you can probably hear after where I told them 'Don't stop making the music, don't stop. It was 2nd nature to say that. I honestly thought about all of us fans on the forum who wonder if they'll hang them up when I said that. really they have.

I'm a very lucky guy, have a beautiful wife that gave us a baby girl this year & who loves U2 as well.

Last edited:
First set list thread post and uhhh I'm so happy Canada landed on the right side of marriage equality over a decade ago...:up::heart:

Also first show of this tour! GLORIA!!! I enjoyed one - it felt like I was living my U2 'me as lead singer' fantasy. Pride was really great. I have largely avoided set list/show spoilers and I was really hit hard by how emotional Iris was. Touching.

We walked in at 630 for GA and ended up 3 people deep at the b stage. I was so anxious not queuing for GA but I am really happy with where we stood considering the lack of time we put into it. Will probably do about the same for Monday's show!!!

Hi everyone, so I'm the guy who got to sing Desire with the band tonight! I just got home and can't even begin to describe how awesome it is was.

I met Sean outside the gig earlier today (I think he is Harbinger here on the forum) and found out he was partially blind and knew how to play guitar. I asked Bono outside if they were going to play Desire tonight, if they need a singer I can sing it, and Sean can play guitar. Bono said ok, I'll look for you later. He did, called us both up & the rest is history. The best part about this to me is Sean- he's partially blind, and a lefty guitar player. He turned Edge's guitar upside down to play it- how cool is that?! That's clutch.

I'm a very lucky guy, have a beautiful wife that gave us a baby girl this year & who loves U2 as well.

You guys were awesome. So cool that someone so active around here was part of that moment. It was wonderful.

You sounded great!!! Was a really great moment that put a smile on everyone's face, I think. When they handed Sean the guitar and I saw him go left handed I was afraid for a moment but he did great. Congrats on your little girl!

I personally whispered to Bono as the song ended that they've made me a better person, and you can probably hear after where I told them 'Don't stop making the music, don't stop. It was 2nd nature to say that. I honestly thought about all of us fans on the forum who wonder if they'll hang them up when I said that. really they have.

That was awesome! I was in GA and danced my butt off to Desire. You sounded great! And congrats!

Woah that was you? Fucking epic, mate! :up:

Great to read your review and everyone else's. I've become pretty jaded about this tour but this show seemed really good from the stream, one of the best so far.

Bono won't sing One, Axver won't keep his browser up to date. What is this world coming to :tsk:

:lol:

MP3 bootleg of the whole show already up on U2Start.

Sound is decent. Bit treble heavy, but clearer than most shows so far this tour

Gloria sounded fantastic. I wish it didn't take that second place slot though. Seems like all my favourites are fighting it out for the same spot in the set!

Also, I'm probably reading too much into this, but Bono said something like "something special for Chicago" when the song ended which makes me think it will remain a bit of a rarity during the tour.

Gloria sounded fantastic. I wish it didn't take that second place slot though. Seems like all my favourites are fighting it out for the same spot in the set!

Also, I'm probably reading too much into this, but Bono said something like "something special for Chicago" when the song ended which makes me think it will remain a bit of a rarity during the tour.

I guess you summed up what I don't like about this tour so far. The best songs are unfortunaly all in rotation for 1-2 spots and the ones I want to see rotate are not.... Anyway, great to see Gloria and AIWIY, sounded great!!!! :applaud:

Axver, i really love you for U2gigs.com. i love that site!

Thanks mate. :up:

Yeah, I'm not sure whether to interpret that as meaning just the tour debut being special or that the song will remain rare. I expect the latter whatever he meant, though. It should rotate with I Will Follow if you ask me, but IWF is obviously a major part of the first set's narrative.

And this is from the man who said they wouldn't do Ordinary Love after the Grammys. Bono lies. :wink:

#imagen #26 songs

1. Miracle
2. Out of Control (rotate w/ Gloria, The Ocean/11 O'Clock Tick Tock, The Electric Co. & I Will Follow)
3. Vertigo
4. Mofo (rotate w/ Lemon & Tomorrow)
5. Iris
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Please
8. Song for Someone
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (rotate w/ New Year's Day)
10. Raised By Wolves
11. Until the End of the World
~The Wanderer intermission~
12. Invisible (rotate w/ The Crystal Ballroom)
13. Even Better than the Real Thing (rotate w/ Mysterious Ways, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The Fly, Zooropa, Dirty Day, Gone, God Part II)
14. Desire/When Love Comes to Town/Angel of Harlem/Sweetest Thing/In God's Country/Stay/Volcano/Ordinary Love/Stuck/Elevation/Lucifer's Hands/California/The Ground Beneath Her Feet/No Line/Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World/Playboy Mansion/Magnificent/Satellite of Love/The First Time/Ultraviolet/Hold Me Thrill Me/Drowning Man/Two Hearts Beat as One/Miss Sarajevo)
15. see above
16. Every Breaking Wave (full band)
17. Bullet the Blue Sky
18. Running to Stand Still
19. Pride
20. Beautiful Day
21. Bad (rotate w/ Moment of Surrender, All I Want is You & The Troubles)
22. With or Without You (+Love Will Tear us Apart & Shine Like Stars)

encore:
23. City of Blinding Lights (rotate w/ Reach Around & Discotheque)
24. Mother and Son Reunion/Where the Streets Have No Name
25. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (rotate w/ One+Do You Hear Us Coming Lord)
26. '40'

If this was happening, I can't imagine how anyone would find something to complain about. You get a ton of new songs, One and WOWY go to another level, you shut me up by playing RTSS instead of singing a few lines of one of their most boring songs, you shut the constant whingers up, it's still absolutely packed with the hitz, none of the above songs are out of the realms of possibility, crazy additions like Lemon or Please either work thematically or (God Part II) fit the energy of the EBTTRT-MWays slots, literally everyone wins.

I'm sure someone would find something to complain about, but I would be thrilled with a setlist like that.

Congrats to both you and Harbinger! :up:

Awesome, congrats to both of you!

well done :wave: dream come true

Hooray for some October love :up:
The true unappreciated U2 album :wink:

I like that little surprises are popping up every couple of shows. I hope they keep adding more and more tour debuts. It should be a nightly thing. Even if they don't play them all the time, at least try them out!

Gloria is totally staying around. "something for Chicago" because they *always* bust out something there/here (I'm not native so I won't claim it, but I'm glad I picked these two shows)

Out of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, The First Time, acoustic Wild Horses, and Your Blue Room all debuted on their respective tours in Chicago and went on to get more plays. I'm sure Gloria will stick around, the crowd reaction was fantastic and the band played it extremely passionately. loved the new extended middle and even the outro was great, slightly different. I just wanna see them expand that slot to two songs.

That was great. I hope they playing something that's not Electric Co. or Out of Control for the next two shows.

I'm gonna go get autographs again today like yesterday, and I'm going to remind every member that The Ocean/11 O'Clock Tick Tock exists.

I mean they did already play it this year, can't be hard for them to run it through at the check and go for it. happened with Gloria yesterday even!

That is awesome! :applaud:

SO happy for you! Thanks for sharing with us ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So they played Gloria and sound checked friggen Two Hearts Beat As One?! Very glad I'm going two nights in NYC

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom