Camping in the GA line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
good grief, I'm being ignored 'over there' again, so... *runs speedily back to Pleba*

So the big announcement is Tuesday (woo hoo!), and as I haven't been to a U2 concert in oh...12 years? I need some advice on the whole thang, such as:

• What is a GOOD small camera to use for concert pics? (I have one of those cheap pieces o' crap but know that won't cut it). I'd like one that uses very fast film.
    Do you use a flash for pics of the guys or is that considered 'bad manners' to flash 'em right in the face??
    GA line - what time to start typically? And what the heck do you bring with you in the GA line, like food, water, etc.? I heard the wait goes on for hours.
    I'm contemplating bringing/wearing a smallish 'body bag' purse to hold a few things...is this a bad idea? Is it best to take in ONLY the very bare essentials?
    Most important! What if you have to go 'make a pitstop' while you're in line? Is it okay to leave, have someone hold your spot and get back in again? (cos I may be by myself, won't have a friend to assist unless I meet someone in line!)

Any other tips you can give to make the whole experience more enjoyable??

counting the minutes until the day....

disco

Disco, great questions! Someone pleas answer her, as I too need to know these things.

LOL. I am a novice in terms of going GA. Never been. When I saw the lads in Buffalo in May, I had seats in the lovely, nosebleed section.
mad.gif
I was way up high and though I had a good view of them (well, they were tiny to me), needless to say I don't want to go that route.

So any information would be a great help. I heard 6 AM is a good bet to line up outside or should it be any earlier? And the pitstop thing is kinda important cuz it's one thing not to go during the concert but another not to go for 12+ hours. LOL.

And really, what is the best kind of camera to use?

Thanks

tania

------------------
I can't even say the word Achhhhhtung Baby"--Larry

Hey gals,

I have been in the GA lines 3 times. It can be very fun yet very nerve wracking...here are my tips.

Originally posted by Discoteque:

Do you use a flash for pics of the guys or is that considered 'bad manners' to flash 'em right in the face??

Personally I didn't use flash, because yes, I think it isn't very polite.

GA line - what time to start typically?

It mostly depends on what spot you want to get...(I have a a feeling you would want to be in front of Edge
wink.gif
). If you want to get into the heart, I suggest arriving there no later than 10am. If you want to be in the first row, I would suggest you get there no later than 7:30am.

And what the heck do you bring with you in the GA line, like food, water, etc.? I heard the wait goes on for hours.

If you have a car, you can bring just about anything and about an hour or so before they open the doors you can go and put all your things back in the car. If you can'T go and put your stuff in your car, then I would bring the bare essentials. This is what I brought (I have no car, but my very nice parents came to pick up my stuff before concerts !)
-Water
-Some medication (for headache, nausea)
-A snack
-Walkman (With U2 tapes of course !
biggrin.gif
)
-Deodorant
-Makeup
-Toothbrush and toothpaste
and
-A cd booklet and a sharpie
wink.gif

Don'T bring anything that you will have to check before entering the concert venue ! This will make you lose some time to get a good spot ! When the doors open, only have the bare essentials with you : No big bag !!

If you are alone, introduce yourself to the people around you so that they know that this is your place and tell them to save your spot when you are going to the bathroom. I really hope you find someone to go with because that would be very helpful.

I'm sorry but I cannot give you advice on which camera to use. Though I will try to find out what is the best camera and post a topic here.

Hope all you PLEBA gals get great tickets !

------------------
She had heaven
And she held on so tight

***Check out my webpage: Pics of U2, Ewan McGregor, Kate Winslet and much more***
http://community.webshots.com/user/leyloo20

[This message has been edited by Naya (edited 09-09-2001).]

A million thanks to Naya....I did not do GA for the Houston or Popmart show, so I will be doing it for the first time in the fall. Thank you for the heads up!! Planning girls, alot of planning!!

BTW...those were good questions Disco!

------------------
"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

"The most amazing place you will ever be in your life is where you are right now.."

*+*MaRiA*+*

• What is a GOOD small camera to use for concert pics? (I have one of those cheap pieces o' crap but know that won't cut it). I'd like one that uses very fast film.

• If you're in the front (say the first few rows of the heart, or at the tip) you can get away with using a disposable camera. Kodak worked well for me, and I've heard Fuji is excellent. Use at least 800 speed film.

Used flash the whole time. Everybody around us was using flash, and nobody really seemed to mind.

GA line - what time to start typically? And what the heck do you bring with you in the GA line, like food, water, etc.? I heard the wait goes on for hours.

By 6:30, at a 2 shows I went to, there were already at least 20 people in line. One show, by 6:30 am, there were 80 people in line! Generally if it's a saturday or sunday show, you need to be there early. If you want to get to the front row of the heart, and you just *have to* be in front of Bono or you'll cry, then I suggest you may have to sleep there. To be right in front of Bono, you must be in the first 4 or 5 people there. If you want to be in front of the Edge, and right in front of him, then I'd still say be there by 7 am to be on the safe side. If you don't care to be up against the rail, but want to have decent spots in the heart, make it by mid-morning (say 10 am).

I'm contemplating bringing/wearing a smallish 'body bag' purse to hold a few things...is this a bad idea? Is it best to take in ONLY the very bare essentials?

Some places will not allow ANY bags on the floor. None. Others will have separate checkpoints for those with bags, and that will slow you down inside, and you will run the risk of losing a good spot in the heart. Some arenas may be OK with bags, but I personally never took anything in with me.

Most important! What if you have to go 'make a pitstop' while you're in line? Is it okay to leave, have someone hold your spot and get back in again? (cos I may be by myself, won't have a friend to assist unless I meet someone in line!)

No problem. People left to eat, or go to the bathroom quite leisurely. So, don't worry about this. And usually there is a numbering system done by the fans, so you won't lose your spot in line. Though, probably around 4 pm, they'll want you to stay put or not wander off too far.

Other tips:

Call the venue in advance and see if they have lockers for rent. If you're bringing your car, there isn't a problem.

Bring something to sit on. Cheap blankets will do.

The most important thing is to really determine how important it is to you to be "front row centre". If it's not all that important, then you shouldn't freak out. You can wake up and a nice time, have breakfast in peace, and stroll down to the venue later in the morning. If you want and must be front row centre, then I'd say there exists a good chance you may have to camp out even the night before. So, think about it a little, and just go out and have fun!

[This message has been edited by anitram (edited 09-09-2001).]

I saw one show the last leg and did'nt have G.A......frankly ,(and I don't want to sound like wimp here, but I was a little afraid of it).........I'm from the Cincinnati area and we had The Who tragedy happen here
frown.gif
,so that kinda messes with your head.....

But after I went to the Columbus show ,and everyone's experiences being fairly positive....I'm considering giving it a try for one of the shows in the fall......

Those questions were good Disco....some of the same ones that I have ...so anyone elese have any more advice on G.A.procedures or little things that might help us out PLEASE let us know......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I for one, could us all the encouragement I can get when it comes to this !!!!!
I still don't like the idea of it, but it's to good to pass up at least once ...to be that close to the band
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
I'm just a singer,some say a sinner.Rolling the dice,not always a winner.
You say I've been lucky,well hell I've made my own.
Not part of the crowd,but not feeling alone.

----Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad-----

WOW ...thanks Antrim......sounds like good advice.....I did have one question ...what if you wanted to be at the outside tip of the heart.....so you got there early, but choose to stay outside of the heart, I guess that would be cool also right??
Or do you think the best place would be inside ....especially if I'm a little skiddish about crowd crushes.......

Originally posted by browneyedgirl:

Go for it!

I'm a huge advocate of GA. I'm so spoiled, I can't even go back to seats anymore. The experience on the floor is just crazy. I understand that some people really don't like to be pushed and shoved. The solution to that is to get into the heart, and then go to the back of the heart (basically on the inside tip). There is a lot of room there, and I don't imagine you'd have problems. If you are really still fearful, the one place you should not go is the tip. The shoving there can be quite brutal. Another positive thing about GAs is that the whole day becomes an amazing U2 experience. Meeting other fans, sharing stories and pictures, it's all a lot of fun. And the excitement keeps building, to the point it's almost tangible.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
smile.gif

what if you wanted to be at the outside tip of the heart.....so you got there early, but choose to stay outside of the heart, I guess that would be cool also right??
Or do you think the best place would be inside ....especially if I'm a little skiddish about crowd crushes.......

I read your mind.
wink.gif

One arena *cough*EarlsCourt*cough* had this stupid policy of giving out either a floor wristband or a heart wristband but not both.

I don't think you'd have a problem. The tip is in my opinion the best place to be in order to catch the whole show. But, it's not for the lighthearted. My ribs were quite bruised one time, and I swear there were *at least* 2 or 3 people literally climbing on my back.

I still don't like the idea of it, but it's to good to pass up at least once ...to be that close to the band
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't think you need to be too worried about the GA situation, browneyedgirl. I was in the heart twice during the 1st leg, and I didn't experience any pushing, crushing, or beer spilling on me. People generally seemed to be polite and friendly. I can't speak for what it's like outside the heart- I'd assume it's a little more rowdy. But if you're in heart I'm sure it'll be fine.

About the bag thing- I had no problem with my purse (which is about the dimensions of a sheet of paper) at the concerts I went to in Milwaukee and Chicago. In Milwaukee they checked the inside of people's bags, but in Chicago they only pulled you to the side if you had a really big bag (like a backpack).

And I'll add my two cents about what time to arrive. In Milwaukee I got there at noon, and I was about 100th or so in line. At the 4th Chicago show I got there at 10am, and I was 124. 124 may seem like a far way back, but I managed to be 2nd row right in front of the Edge.
smile.gif
Both these days were Wednesdays, so I'm sure if it was a weekend you'd have to get there much earlier. Also, since it's the 3rd leg it might be better to get there earlier than 1st leg times. 8am would probably guarantee an excellent spot.

------------------
"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

[This message has been edited by Giant Lemon (edited 09-09-2001).]

Thanks everyone....sounds like G.A. is the way to go...but I should shoot for the heart....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
I'm just a singer,some say a sinner.Rolling the dice,not always a winner.
You say I've been lucky,well hell I've made my own.
Not part of the crowd,but not feeling alone.

----Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad-----

WOW! Awesome answers Naya and Anitram, thanks a bunch!
smile.gif

I'm def. not a young pup any more. I know I couldn't handle the tip and all that goes with it, so inside the heart is definitely where I want to be!!!!!!!! And as MUCH as I want to see Bono as up close and personal, it won't kill me if I don't get close enough to see/catch Bono's sweat or to hear his leather squeak. Close enough for a good picture or two is good enough. Besides, I don't even get up at 6:30 AM for WORK, let alone get in line by that time--crikey, I'd be dead by noon!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
(unless I'm allowed to nap during the day!)

Naya, you are SO correct: THE GOAL IS EDGE!!! This is a MUST!!! I have to get on his side of the heart at all costs!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
And...I definitely need to get some Larry time too...just to see him POUND those drums, flexing those muscley arms...oh baby...I can hardly stand it!!! *swoon*

I will prolly have my car, so that's good, but I guess I have no choice but to leave my bag in my car. Oh well. This high-maintenance gal will have to go very low maint. for a day!
smile.gif

Now to figure out the camera situation...but I heard that a lot of times they don't let you bring in cameras???

Disco...filled with antici..................pation

Wow girls!!! Thank you so much! I also had these questions in mind, but have been too lazy to post them.
smile.gif

I've never had GA before, and if I don't get them I'll cry!!!

------------------
BOOM-CHA

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 09-09-2001).]

So, I will see what I can do. You have already gotten great answers, this is what I have to say.

And for browneyedgirl. If you don't like pushing, inside the heart along the side of the heart is the best. You will still be in "front row" and get a chance of biting or be pulled up onstage, but will only have someone behind you the moments any of them are infront of you. When they are on the other side of the heart or at the mainstage you will have LOTS of space to jump and dance around and you will have a perfect view!

• I have used a 15 year old simple camera, no zoom, just press and rewind, with 200 speed film, I think one roll of 400 speed. Nothing special at all as you see, no highspeed film, no nothing and I think my pictures are pretty good considiring this. Good enough for my own memories. You?ve seen a few posted here.

I have used flash, but I feel bad sometimes but without flash my pics won't be good at all. But I only take like 5-10 pics a show, if even that.

GA line - what time to start typically?

My experiences has been that it's VERY different. Like second Copenhagen, a saturday. Me and my two friends camped out because we had no hotelroom and when we woke up at about 8, 8.30 we were still the only one. Really strange. But in London it was over 50 numbers lent out by midnight. SO my advice is to check out the venue late the night before, sometime around 10, 11 pm. Not to many will show up between those hours and 5-6am. So depending on where you want to be you can decide whether to go home and sleep or pick up your sleepingbag and camp outside.

And what the heck do you bring with you in the GA line, like food, water, etc.? I heard the wait goes on for hours.

I would suggest to bring something to sit on, maybe something to listen to, preferable so everyone else can listen as well, if you have something easy transportable. Maybe the first "meal", you are gonna need to eat more then once though but to bring it from the morning will just make it disgusting.
    smile.gif

To bring in, bad idea. To just store stuff in during the day, good idea.

Don't worry, everybody have their needs so it's equal for everybody. Leaving the line for toilet and food aren't a problem. And as soon as you arrive you won?t be alone anymore. There will be other nuts just like you to talk to and share stories, wishes for the concert and on.

The most fun about waiting in line is all the people you get to meet. But this can also be the worst, depending on who are around you. Mostly it's great though. Just be open and talk to people you will have a great time. But to be honest, being in line is the most nervewrecking you can do. It's so stressful, specially fi you are among people who keeps asking unanswerable questions like how they will let you in, if cameras are allowed, where do we get the wristbands and stuff. Even though it's important question, noone know the answer. Keep asking funny questions instead, like we do here on PLEBA, that's my advice, try to avoid unanswerable questions about how it's gonna be organized, you will know when it's time....

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"That's ok, in Sweden we don't wear underpants" ~ Bono, June 11th -92, Stockholm, Globen

"The only thing louder then a U2 gig is the people who comes to a U2 gig" ~Bono

What is a GOOD small camera to use for concert pics? (I have one of those cheap pieces o' crap but know that won't cut it). I'd like one that uses very fast film.

I used a typical camera- i dont even know what it is. But I used 800 speed Fuji film (the professional version is the best if you can find it) but the highest speed the less blurred pics you'll get. As far as flash is concerned, sometimes I used it and sometimes I didn't - it was hard on my camera to shut it off. But a flash is not going to help outside of 7 feet or so. So it's up to you- there are so many lights going off its hard to notice, but the best time to get light up pics are when the stage lights are on high.

I went to two boston shows. the first one we had the luxury to show up at 8am. We were # 70 and 71. This was the night of letting people in before us, so 100 pl were let in ahead of us...BUT i still got an incredible spot along the inside of the heart. If they hadn't let those people in, I would have definitely been in front of Bono. Remember, some people go to the tip, too, so at #70 or so you would have a good shot of getting in front of Edge if you wanted. The 2nd show we couldn't make it until 1:30 and we were # 250 I think. And we got the same spot.
I brought with me a bag- sorta like a backpack, a canvas bag I guess. I only had it in my keys and sunglasses and a deck of cards and a small book. I also had a small pocketbook I kept strapped around me and my camera in it. They did not check my bag at all. (I hid my camera anyway to be safe).

The first night since they were taping the boston show, the heart was PACKED - like 400 people at least! This did not deter me from running to the stage and back like a maniac. I never got stepped on or hurt, and I'm only 5'3". The second night there was a lot more elbow room so we could groove more. There is no going back for me now- the heart or bust.

There are always v. nice people in line, and the "rumor" was that you could leave for u p to 2 hours w/ your stuff there. We felt comfortable going for a walk to eat and coming back- except don't leave after 4 or so. Around 5 people start lining up - and while the u2 fans are the ones putting people in line, the venue doesn't care, so if people "cut" there's nothing that can be done. I'd be there holding your spot no later than 4:30. As far as food goes- we brought lunches and ran to a sub place for dinners and ate them in line. Make sure you use the bathrooms before getting into the venue- you don't want to lose your spot in the heart! And one day it was freezing outside, the next day it was so hot. I suffered through both days- I didn't want to worry about a jacket at the concert. This fall will be chilly though, so maybe a longsleeve T you can wrap around your waist or something.

Hope this helps!!

------------------
It's okay, the struggle for things not to say.
I never listened to you anyway

My fanatical U2 webpage: Take Me Higher

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 09-10-2001).]

GA kicks ass!
I had my first live U2 experience this summer in GA. I didn't have a clue what to expect. I was a bit worried about getting squashed but everyone was really great.
I was in the heart and there was plenty of room.
I had a disposabke camera and some of the pictures were O.K. but most of them turned out pretty crappy (or maybe that's just my photography skills).
I lined up at 8am and was about #100 (mind you this was in the UK not US).
As long as you have something to eat and drink you won't need much else as you get talking to the people around you and the time soon passes.
Go for it you will love it. God I wish I could afford a flight to the US for the 3rd leg.
frown.gif

Naya's advice was very good, the voice of experience obviously! Be prepared for the long day on the sidewalk- at least take a blanket to sit on, but don't take anything you would mind losing in case you don't get to go back to your car. In DC, we couldn't park at the venue, and the first day I payed $4 and parked in a scuzzy lot about a half mile away and the walk back was not cool, long, hot, and in a scary part of town! The next day I discovered a lot right next to the MCI Center, but it cost $30 a day! I payed it, because my car was right there, I could see it, I could go back and forth and get crap and put it back, plus we were allowed to leave it there until the show was over, some lots wanted you gone by 7 PM! Naya is right, do not take a big bag inside! This will ruin your fun in GA as you will always have to worry about it, and it will be awkward to keep it in position once the crowd starts rocking. I found that out the hard way at my first GA show. Find out where the nearest 'pit stop' area is, and because everyone has to go, and wants a break, I have never in 4 shows had a problem with people saving your place and you save theirs in return. Some people were even nice enough to move all our stuff when the line was moved up by security while we went to eat!

Cameras- Don't take an expensive one. If it's too good, it will be taken away, if it's not, you'll still have to worry about it. I heard people got good shots with disposables and I got my best shots using a Kodak MAX disposable. They are about $8. If you lose it, it's no big loss like your real camera would be. It has an auto flash but I tried to cover it with my finger because I heard the band doesn't like the flashes going off in their eyes. Everyone has been blinded by a flash at some point, but think about how many times every night for all those years that U2 has been touring- all those repeated bright flashes might combine to damage the retinas of their eyes. They also don't like laser pointers being aimed at their faces, and I have seen Bono cover his eyes with his arm when he saw some.

TO DISCOTEQUE: The 'young pup' thing:
This is a GOOD point. I personally think U2, being old themselves, should offer senior citizen priviledges to us older fans so we won't have to stand all day LMAO for sure!
wink.gif

It's true, once you sit and/or stand in that line for 12 hours, then stand on the GA floor for an hour waiting for the opening act, then through the opening act, I have to admit there isn't a whole lot left of my sorry old ass by the time U2 takes the stage. I know they are old too but they can rest all day! Of course, once I saw our boys I was feeling no pain and it was all worth it! Here's something to consider- if you get the heart, you will be given a wristband which will allow you to come and go as you please, and there is also more room, less pushing, and a place to sit down while waiting for the show. Though the view from the outside of the heart is excellent, you will likely be stuck there from the time you are let in around 6:30 and if you leave you will take a big risk of losing your spot, so don't! Use the bathroom before you go in and don't buy a drink! There will be no place to sit down, so you will suffer, but seeing U2 will make it worth it. There is also more pushing and fighting for position outside the heart and you have to be prepared to hold your ground against drunks, rude people and excited people. If you don't want to deal with all that, go for the heart. Disco, since you like Edge so much I would recommend inside the heart, near the main stage to Edge's side. You will have to be there at the crack of dawn to have a chance for this, good luck.

I don't understand why on earth the venues don't just let you show up, be assigned a number and let you go away until it's time to line up to be let in. Not only would it be easier on the fans, it would keep the stuff off the sidewalk and make it easier for everyone. It sure would be great!

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
I don't understand why on earth the venues don't just let you show up, be assigned a number and let you go away until it's time to line up to be let in. Not only would it be easier on the fans, it would keep the stuff off the sidewalk and make it easier for everyone. It sure would be great!

I don't agree with you on this. Cause when people find out that it was just to go there and get a number and then disappear it will upset them because if they new, they could have been there much earlier, maybe before work or whatever.
A line up is a line up and you should get your number when you plan to stay there.

And when this would be known people would start line up anyway, to get their number. So there is no way you can get rid of the queueing.

This is by the way pretty much what happened in London. The security lended out numbered wristbands from about 11pm til 1 am and told us to go home and don't come back until noon. A lot of people did but how do you think people who lined up early, like 6 am thought when people came strolling in before noon with a lower number then they who had been there long before? People learned this and after the third London show it was almost a riot at the place for the line up. It was just a matter of luck in what order the guy numbered you if you got number 4 or 24 or 54 and I think we all agree that this isn't the way it should be handled, right?
smile.gif

Sara

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"That's ok, in Sweden we don't wear underpants" ~ Bono, June 11th -92, Stockholm, Globen

"The only thing louder then a U2 gig is the people who comes to a U2 gig" ~Bono

Sorry-I hate to bring this up *dives for cover under her desk* but...

If the lines are "mixed up and messed with", aka, people at the last minute are taken from the back of the line and brought in first, as happened in Boston and other places, then all this camping out, etc. is kinda for naught.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen in the Fall, but you have to prepare yourself mentally for the possibility. If you don't care about being "right up front" all the time, then it won't matter to you.

All I want is ONE chance to be in front of Edge and just bask in his magnificence!!

great information! i will be GA'ing it for the first time (i hope)!

looks like i am camping out
wink.gif

Don't forget the line cutters! I know we all want to get in, but it made me mad to see people force themselves in and lie about it, even writing fake numbers on their hands. Also, at the very end, depending on how the venue decides to let people in, there could be several lines which will give some of the ones much farther back just as good a spot as the ones who slept there. That may be cool for them, but it makes the ones who suffered so long feel like they did it for nothing. I do believe the ones who want it most should be rewarded, and I think if you want it bad enough you will do whatever it takes, even lying to get out of work. The only thing I won't do is sleep on the sidewalk, I'm afraid of being murdered!

What is a GOOD small camera to use for concert pics? (I have one of those cheap pieces o' crap but know that won't cut it). I'd like one that uses very fast film.

I used a disposable camera for some of the shows I went to and frankly, these were the worst pics. The best pictures came from my digital camera - which let me zoom in and out, flash or not, and was really small. I never had a problem getting it in anywhere. I didn't even try to take it at Slane 'cause it was raining early in the day, but everywhere else it was great.

On the first North American leg, it really depended on the city. Some places you could get there at 10 or 11 and still make it in, others had 50 people sleeping out overnight. To be honest, though, based on the cities on the rumored list, I think these are going to stack up pretty early... they are big cities with large U2 fan contingencies, and folks who have done this before. I'd say the earlier the better.

Bring plenty of water. I saw lots of alcohol but I wouldn't want to drink all day and then be tired / drunk / hungover for the show!

Everyone else is spot on here - take only the bare essentials. I took a backpack purse into the heart in Lexington and wished I hadn't. Best if you can just fit it in your pocket and ditch the rest.

The folks I met around me in all the GA lines were great and happy to hold spots, get you food, etc. Where you will have a problem is if you try to "add" people in (my friend / husband / whatever is coming at 4:00). Uncool to the people who have been hanging around all day. But going to the bathroom or getting food or putting stuff in the car was not a problem anywhere.

How can you not enjoy a U2 show?
wink.gif

Wear comfortable shoes and clothes! No point being a fashion plate if you can't stick around because your feet are killing you!

If you do get into the heart, you will not have to worry about getting smished. I was in the heart for 2 shows... and stood along the edge of the heart on Edge's side both times. I got plenty of Bono time and some wonderful pictures. It was simply awesome.

If you are worried about getting pushed and shoved, then avoid the tip of the heart - it is kind of brutal there as Bono gives them a bunch of attention. But overall the crowds I've been in have been quite "gentle" for GA and I have enjoyed all of my shows (no matter where I was standing!)

Have a great time!
Peace
counting the minutes until the day....

disco[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

everyone has given really good advice, so i don't have much to add. the one thing that no one's mentioned, though, is how COLD it's going to be by october/november. of course this won't be a problem for those going to shows in California, but i live in NYC and it's FREEZING at night by the end of October. i really hope that there is some sort of system to ensure that people don't risk their health... but i'm not sure what would work. any ideas??

Not all disposable cameras suck. The Kodak MAX with 800 speed film I had worked better than my $150 camera with a detractable zoom lens I used at my first show. The other advantage of a disposable is that you don't have to worry about it being lost or damaged, only losing your pics! I also tried a 'cheap piece of crap' in Lex. and only 4 pics even came out! To make the case for the Kodak MAX, I these came out better than any concert pics I ever took in my life, not great, but not bad for and $8 camera.Like I said before, I tried to cover the flash with my finger so it wouldn't blind anyone.
3323366323232%7Ffp3%3Enu%3D3234%3E9%3A3%3E4%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3232364399%3B%3B9nu0mrj

3323366323232%7Ffp3%3Enu%3D3234%3E9%3A3%3E4%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3232364399%3B%3B%3Bnu0mrj

3323366323232%7Ffp35%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E232327348%3A%3B72ot1lsi

This was going to be my question. It was cold enough in May with a sweatshirt and light jacket, I can't imagine how awful October/November will be. I don't have a car, so I did succeed in somehow attaching all I needed to my body last time, but what will I do with my coat/thick jacket? That is going to be a HUGE pain!

Everyone has given such incredibly good advice. All I can add is make friends with a bunch of big, burly guys. They will probably allow you to go in front of them in the heart because they can see over you, and they will also protect you from getting jostled. This is what happened to me anyway.

Also, don't worry too much about your place in the line, I was something like 78th in line for the 2nd Toronto show, and wound up in the absolute front row at Bono's feet by about the third song.

Right now I'm just busy panicking about getting tickets!

Originally posted by Ally:
everyone has given really good advice, so i don't have much to add. the one thing that no one's mentioned, though, is how COLD it's going to be by october/november. of course this won't be a problem for those going to shows in California, but i live in NYC and it's FREEZING at night by the end of October. i really hope that there is some sort of system to ensure that people don't risk their health... but i'm not sure what would work. any ideas??

You have to think about what you're going to do with your coat before you go inside- it will be hot and sweaty inside, you can bet!
Get a car or ride with someone who brings one!

"It's cold outside, gets so hot in here....."

U2, 11 O'Clock Tic Toc

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Well said Naya and Crzy4Bono
!!
wink.gif
And I agree with yah on the Digital Camera thing, I took the best pics with mine as well!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 09-10-2001).]

SIGH- I never said disposables were better than digitals! Of course not, I was only saying disposables aren't so bad and can be more convenient in a GA situation than an expensive camera you have to worry about. But leave it to Monica to throw off on me in a discreet, subtle, sneaky, "innocent" way!
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 09-10-2001).]

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
SIGH- I never said disposables were better than digitals! Of course not, I was only saying disposables aren't so bad and can be more convenient in a GA situation than an expensive camera you have to worry about. But leave it to Monica to throw off on me in a discreet, subtle, sneaky, "innocent" way!
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 09-10-2001).]

OMG, I give up! *pulls batch of hair out*

I was just agreeing with Cat because I also had the same experience! Geez! To be honest Gypsy, I didn't even read what you wrote intil now! Dear Lord!

Just please LEAVE ME ALONE! I can't take this anymore, its not my fault your so damn.... psycho!

*leaves to class mumbling something about "Some people"!*

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Back
Top Bottom