Bono voice ('84 was when changes started)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trevor

Babyface
Just been reading some of the posts discussing the decline in Bono's voice. I find it interesting how most fans site the mid 90s (between zoo and Pop) as the time when this change happened.
From what I understand Bono has been smoking for most of his career. Bono's voice began changing after the UF album. by '85-86 it had lost that rich, tenor, youthful sound of the early '80s. In a way, it was almost as if he had gone through puberty a second time.

Few people mention this first major change. But when I was growing up in the '80s and wasn't a U2 fan yet, the only music I had ever heard from them was the Boy album, NYD, and Pride. By the time I bought JT and Actung Baby after becoming a fan in '94 I realized I'd been hearing WOWY, ISHFWLF, One, MW, etc...on the radio all those years but never new it was U2 since I only associated U2's sound with that of their very early stuff. Despite their obvious change in style/musical direction, the main reason they sounded so different by '86-87 was this first major change in Bonos' voice. From the years '86'93 (JT- Zoo) his voice is clearly deeper, raspy, and you can hear him grunt and strain often as he's trying to reach high notes. On UF, it's flawless. Thing was, it was still so above and beyond compared to anyone else, plus some might argue it made for a more "mature" or "sexy" sound. Add to this, there were still many live shows (Zoo Sydney) when he could rise to the occasion and blow everyone away. Though comparing Zoo Syndey to Red Rocks, there is still quite a difference to me.

It wasn't till '97 or so that his problems became so serious they effected his ability to sing altogether. Guess this is why many people see Popmart as the beginning of his problems. But honestly, I think his voice on JT sounds MUCH more similar to his voice today than it does to anywhing from War or before.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't call Bono's UF voice "flawless" at all. Sure, he hits incredibly high notes on UF, but he couldn't really tap into the deeper, lower side of his voice until some time later. It's just strange that whenever "range" is discussed it seems as if it's only high notes that count and the other side of the spectrum is completely neglected.

I personally think Bono was just coming into his own by the time of The Unforgettable Fire. In my opinion, vocally he peaked during the Lovetown tour, and unfortunately his only studio recordings during that time were non-album tracks such as 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' and 'Sweet Fire of Love' (if I remember), as well as 'Everlasting Love'. These tracks showcase Bono's voice at his very peak, because by this time he could not only hit the high notes like on Unforgettable Fire, but could also do precise things with his voice he had never done before. 'Angel of Harlem' is probably the closest album track voice to the short but sweet Lovetown era voice, a track where he does some amazing things. It was the Rattle and Hum/Lovetown voice where the imfamous Bono "crack" became apparent, where he could go from the deepest note to the highest, stretched out falsetto all in one breath. His voice had a golden sound to it at this stage, and I for one am glad we got to witness this change from The Unforgettable Fire era. Not because I don't like his voice on UF (I actually LOVE his voice on UF), but because it's given us a wider spectrum in the gamet and breadth of the band's music.

One thing that dawned on me recently is Bono has never sounded the same on any two (or more) U2 albums. His voice has sounded different on each and every album, astonishingly enough. Not only has U2's sound changed from album to album, but so has Bono's voice, which just goes to show his voice is basically just another instrument in the band and has been used differently and evolved along with the overall sound of U2. I love this idea, and it's incredible that it actually has happened this way. But take a listen to each and every album again, and you'll see the evolution in his voice from every single album on up to ATYCLB. Only time will tell what his voice will sound like on the next album....

Last edited:
well you did imply on several occasions that you had a lot of inside information as to what the new album would sound like (it would blow us all away!).....

or maybe i just wanted to believe that someone who has good opinions on music was stunned by the new u2 album :wink:

Obviously, you haven't heard Bono's vocal peak in `87. Try getting the Rock's Hottest Ticket bootleg. Flawless with the highs, flawless with the lows. The only advantage Zoo TV Bono had was that he had better command of his falsetto - something he didn't have in `84. But Zoo TV Bono couldn't hit the high notes like JT or UF Bono could. And Popmart Bono was the worse, no highs, no lows, no well-controlled falsettos. At least Elevation Bono learned to play around his newly limited vocal range, and worked on new ways to sing old songs, make his phrasing clearer and more audible and did a good job with what he had. `84 Bono has no falsetto and no lows. `87 Bono with the Zoo TV Bono falsetto is what the perfect Bono would be.

Cheers,

J

I still think that the 1989/90 New Year's Eve concert is the best Bono has ever sounded. Absolutely amazing.

I thought the CBS Slane show was the closest he's come to achieving that kind of level in years.

But the great thing is that with each change his voice goes through, he learns to adjust to it and work with it. He may not have the power or range he used to, but he definitely is not scared off by trying new things with it.

I can only hope that his voice will compliment and not detract from the new tunes. I would hate to be hearing some killer garage rock and hear Bono singing low over it. I also think that possible there will be some effects used to enhance Bono's voice on the album - especially if they're going for a White Stripes/Strokes/Vines feel.

But don't listen to me, I still wear Star Wars pajamas to bed, what do I know?

Good feedback. Interesting opinions about Bono's singing peaking in the late '80s. Thing is, I was talking about Bono's voice apart from his skill as a singer. Clearly, by the late 80s he had a lot more skill as a singer. This helped him compensate for the toll smoking was having. I also agree, he does hit more low notes around this time than he did in '84 and before. But I think this was part of his vocal change. His overall range was lower. As for high notes, he hits them- in some cases pretty well. But there is clearly a noticible "strain" and "crack" that wasn't there in the very early years. He plays this well, creating his own unique style from it based on his improved singing skill. But in the end, I think he would have still been hitting those notes the way he did in the early '80s had he been able to.

Once again, I'll concede that his SKILL at singing was clearly better in the late '80s on than it was in the very early years. And it seems, based on the feeback, this made his presentation more pleasing to hear for most and has led to people saying he had a better voice in the late '80s. But in terms of raw vocal quality, he lost that rich, tenor, youthful sound I described after around '83-84. UF fire, IMHO, is the only album that captures his improving SKILL as a singer at a time before his RAW VOCAL QUALITY began changing.

Michael Griffiths said:
...vocally he peaked during the Lovetown tour, and unfortunately his only studio recordings during that time were non-album tracks such as 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' and 'Sweet Fire of Love' (if I remember), as well as 'Everlasting Love'.

I know Christmas, and Everlasting Love were recorded earlier than the Lovetown Tour. Xmas was done during a soundcheck on the JT Tour.

I agree, in 1984 the change from a higher voice from early years is apparent. In 1989 I think it went a bit lower, too - without losing the high notes and already starting to use falsetto bits.
On Zoo TV it basically rasped out on us, and to me he sounded unnatural in the falsetto parts (as if he was making faces with his voice, sort of). (I think his Popmart voice is awkwardly high sounding)
True, he may not have as much power lately, but then again, he's not a kid anymore - he cleverly uses his experience now. I think he's getting back to the lower areas of his singing.

*edit* He sounded best on Christmas show in Dublin on Lovetown IMO. Everything from high notes to falsetto to lows, and his voice seems to be particularly on fire and very strong in general that night.

Last edited:
Chrisedge said:

I know Christmas, and Everlasting Love were recorded earlier than the Lovetown Tour. Xmas was done during a soundcheck on the JT Tour.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) was recorded at soundcheck in Glasgow Scotland on 7-30-87. The video of the same was shot at soundcheck in Baton Rouge LA on 11-26-87. Sweet Fire of Love was actually done during the Joshua Tree recording sessions at Adam's home in 1986.

The only recordings made in 1989 were very early demos for Actung Baby. The Night and Day cover was done in very early 1990 in Edge's basement, so that is about as close as you are going to come to a studio recording done close to the Lovetown tour that is available to listen to. Of course alot of Rattle and Hum was done in 1988 so that is fairly close also. Of course the famous Achtung Baby demos were done in late 1990 also.

I would agree that Bono's voice probebly "peaked" to a certain degree from 1984 to 1989. But because of this he was destroying his voice and had to change they way he sang in order to continue to be able to sing. While the Lovetown tour is one of my favorites, Bono had ALOT of vocal trouble. Listen to God Part II at the 1989 Amsterdam show when Bono is so frustrated he yells "again" at the end and he re does the high end vocal part again screaming at the top of his lungs. It makes my throat hurt just listening to it!!

I still think he has a good voice, its just different now.

Last edited:
Good points Blue Room....Bono had more trouble vocally on the Lovetown tour than any other tour (in terms of cancelling shows because of vocal trouble) AND it was the shortest tour.

I think they cancelled two groupings of shows on that tour - once during the 1st leg and once during the 2nd leg which is why they tacked on 4 shows in Amsterdam at the end of the tour.

I guess it was the start of things to come. I personally think Elevation Bono is much improved over Popmart Bono - the Slane DVD proves this. Although Bono did have alot of trouble with his falsetto on the Elevation tour...

Also listen to Toronto, May 25th - 2001 - the segue between AIWIY and Streets - AMAZING - even better than on Slane.

cheers.

Brady

Chrisedge said:

I stand corrected. I do remember, now that you mention it, that 'Christmas' was recorded during a JT soundcheck. My bad. I suppose I should ammend my statement by saying Bono's live voice was closest to those recordings only during The Lovetown Tour.

I love his UF voice, but I think the change had more to do with his maturing as a vocalist rather than actual physical changes. He was able to take what he had and used it in the best ways. JT was even better. Yes it was at its weakest and most unhealthy in the late 90's, and miraculously improved for Elevation. I've seen it mentioned before that the longer his hair is, the better and stronger his voice is;) It does seem to follow that pattern.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I've seen it mentioned before that the longer his hair is, the better and stronger his voice is;) It does seem to follow that pattern.
What follows that pattern? The hair or the voice? Does he braid his hair in a particular pattern? I never knew this stuff.

Just another example of PLEBA f*cking up the mainstream...

:sexywink:

No what I mean is, like a Samson strength thing, the longer his hair is, the stronger and better his voice is. Starting with the shaggy hair of Boy and October, longer in War, the long mullet in UF as his voice improved, long, luxurious hair in JT, longer still in Lovetown, his voice was at its peak. ZOOTV, his voice still good but a little less, just like his hair. Pop, his hair gone and his voice virtually MIA. Elevation, he grew his hair back, and his voice was better than anyone could have thought as it hit the WIDE AWAAAKES and lasted the entire tour. I could post pics to illustrate each era, or you could just come to PLEBA. Today is JT Bono day! :drool: Sorry couldn't help it!

:uhoh: crawls back to PLEBA..........

Last edited:
If your duty has been to abuse your position and pollute our innocent, virgin U2 fan minds with PLEBA-ese, consider the operation a success! :wink:

PS. Bono could hit those "WIDE AWAKES" during the Elevation tour mostly because they dropped the key a notch or two. If you listent to the Wide Awake in America LP, it's a much more heightened emphasis. Don't get me wrong, I love Bad in all its various incarnations... but he sang it much higher back in the day.

:lmao:

I don't know if it's the hair, but I do know that I was at 3 Love Town concerts and luckily they were the ones right before Bono caught the sore throat bug and he was singing so amazing that you'd have to look at the person next to you like "are you hearing this?". I saw 3 Zoos, 4 Pops and 7 Elevations, and I agree that on the Elevation tour that he just sounded better than I ever expected. Even if it was in a lower key. :wink:

:shrug: *side note* I am not to hard to please when it comes to Bono singing though. :drool:

*edit* To add that on the first LT concert that I was at they played Unforgettable Fire, and well it just wasn't happening.... as awesome as Bono's voice was that tour he couldn't quite get back to the UF voice.

Last edited:
EPandAmerica said:
:lmao:

:shrug: *side note* I am not to hard to please when it comes to Bono singing though. :drool:

Indeed. I have noticed a change in Bono's voice over the years but I don't think it's a bad thing. I'd suggest it's also to do with his age, as well as the smoking (and other things ...) I think as he's experimented more with different styles of music, his singing voice has changed. You can't go from singing something like "Gloria" to something like "Discoteque" and expect your voice to remain the same throughout.

Well, the guy is over 40 years old, never stops talking e.g. politics, promitions, and has been singing to to the top of his range for the past 25 years. What do you think is going to happen to his voice?

Have you listened to Metalica? James' voice changed much more dramaticaly from when they started than Bono's has.

The thing is that Bono has adapted to his changes very well and played on his weakness and strengths

bradyvox said:

Also listen to Toronto, May 25th - 2001 - the segue between AIWIY and Streets - AMAZING - even better than on Slane.

cheers.

Brady

The intro to Streets is probably the best he has EVER sounded. Anyone who hasn't heard this is missing out on something very special.

MrBrau1 said:

The intro to Streets is probably the best he has EVER sounded. Anyone who hasn't heard this is missing out on something very special.

I agree.

Two parts of the slane show gives me chills:

1.) The begining of 'Streets'

2.) The section in NYD where Bono just lets it loose

gherman said:

I agree.

Two parts of the slane show gives me chills:

1.) The begining of 'Streets'

2.) The section in NYD where Bono just lets it loose

gherman-get your hands on Streets from Toronto 5/25, it actually blows Slane away!

My brother got it from Bloodredsky before it went down. The show I have is a matrix of ALD and audience. If you can trade for it the whole show is stellar.

Michael Griffiths said:

Is there anywhere I can get this?

I have it on mp3 and can email it to you at a lower bit rate as long as you can get attachments up to 5 MB in your email.

Email me at s.brady@utoronto.ca and I'll hook you up (probably not until tomorrow though - heading out now...)

Mr Brau is right - it is amazing. And the mp3 I have is from Bono's in ear Monitor so the vocals are very loud and clear in the mix...

cheers.

Brady

ps - I heard a short 30 second clip of Night and Day that Bono and Edge did at Music Cares last year and he sounded REALLY good in that too - it was from a short video clip....

Back
Top Bottom