Bono reviewing U2 albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roy said:

I'm surprised. :ohmy:

I didn't think you felt that the songs on the last two albums were better than those on AB & JT.

Melodiously, they are. It depends on your criteria. If one values melodies highly, like I do, then one should go for ATYCLB. That's the most melodious U2 album yet.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Melodiously, they are. It depends on your criteria. If one values melodies highly, like I do, then one should go for ATYCLB. That's the most melodious U2 album yet.

:up: Nice perspective there. That's why I consider Beautiful Day their best single ever.

I was really intrigued by Bono's album reviews. I was surprised to see how much he likes Boy still. Though he should! It's a damn fine album!:wink: Probably has a lot to do with the ressurection of songs like The Electric Co. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, The Ocean, and maybe even Gloria to an extent on the Vertigo Tour. :up: Definitely highlihghts of the show in either case!

Beautiful Day and Walk On are probably as close as U2 has ever come to writing a "perfect" song, in my opinion. :shrug:

Queen Bee said:
I'm bored out of my mind, so I typed out a transcript of Bono's album reviews from the latest issue of Rolling Stone. Blame any typos on me as I haven't bothered proofreading :happy:

Thanks for the typing QB....:bow: They don't have the magazine yet where I live, so this gets me through until it arrives...:D

In terms of the reviews, I think I'm spot-on with Bono. Achtung is definitely my favourite, and I appreciate the Joshua Tree more than I normally admit to. I also think that the last two albums are greater than a lot of the earlier stuff, and whether Bono knows it or not, I think their real brillance will appreciated fully in the future....that place Edge comes from.

Electical Storm is one of bono's faves???

Well... GOOD!!!

I had heard, I think it was in BLENDER (i know i know... never trust a music magazine published primarily to promote hot naked chicks)

they reviewed all of U2's albums at one point, and about the best of 1990-2000 they weren't too kind, saying "Electrical Storm should be avoided. The band themselves even refused to promote it"

I always thought that was a strange concept... I know they made a great video for it, and they talk alot about the song in the making of the video, and didnt' seem to dislike it.

but i guess since it has never been played live or even snippetted, I thought that perhaps there was some truth to it.

But if bono puts it on his list of best songs, then HOORAY>...

NOW PLAY IT LIVE, SUCKERS!!!!
and follow it with MOFO!!!

Well, I must admit, I find his assertion that Electrical Storm is one of the best U2 songs ever, ehm, a little weird :hmm:

chrissybaby said:
VERY Interesting, thanks for this.
After reading this I dont think they'll play Mofo again... We quite often just want them to play our favourites, but if you think about the content of that song it wouldn't fit now.
I don't think Bono feels he can sing a lot of those songs again, not physically, but emotionally...

i felt the complete opposite way when i read that.
the things he said about this song really give me hope that it will be played.
it is an emotional song, but so is "sometimes" and really, emotion is bono's thing on stage.
mofo is also a very angry song, too, and i'm sure it will be a challenge for him to sing it, but i really hope they go for it.

Wow, Bono is pretty dead on in his assessment of his own music (well, except maybe Electrical Storm), especially what he said about HTDAAB. Whod'a thunk it? :D

I think his assessments are reasonable. I think he slightly - not dramatically, but perceptibly - over-rates Boy and ATYCLB. I think he somewhat under-rates War.

Zooropa, AB, JT - pretty good assessments I think.

Re: Re: Bono reviewing U2 albums

Meghan said:

:hmm: That's what I was thinking..... For some reason even though I like all the songs, the album doesn't really strike me as that great.

me too! AB and JT are "albums", where HTDAAB is a collection of great songs, IMO :|

^ That's a good question...Rolling Stone should do an interview with each band member so we can all find out what their opinions are.

Rattle and Hum 1988
Great fun making this album. Living in Los Angeles - Edge had a house. His marriage was starting to come apart, which means it wasn't such a great time for him. But the three of us - we were living off in Hollywood Hills, parking our motorbikes in bedrooms. It was a house about to be torn down, so we could do what we wanted. We were like a bunch of teenagers, spraying lyrics on the wall. I drank a lot of whiskey, I drank a lot of tequila, and I just had a great time. It was the beginning of glasnot, of coming in from the cold.

I wonder who "the three of us" refers to?

What are the three best U2 albums?

Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and then it's a toss-up between All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb. They're full of better songs than Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree, but they're not sonically as sophisticated. [/B]

I find it interesting that he acknowledges that Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are more sonically sophisticated and 'whole' albums, therefore better than All That... and Atomic Bomb.

This could really bode well for the future me thinks, if they are conscious of what it takes to challenge Joshua and Achtung as their best albums, then surely they know they'll have to rival them both sonically and thematically as Bono points out....

Fingers crossed for some experimentation and constant theme for their next work....:drool:

U2Man said:

Well, I just think they have made songs much, much better than Electrical Storm.

Same. And if Bono doesn't like some of his lyrics from the 80s... "The air is heavy, heavy as a truck," anyone? :|

To see Bono himself admitting that 'the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts' on Bomb and that JT and AB are more sonically sophisticated, elates me.

biff said:
Rattle and Hum 1988
Great fun making this album. Living in Los Angeles - Edge had a house. His marriage was starting to come apart, which means it wasn't such a great time for him. But the three of us - we were living off in Hollywood Hills, parking our motorbikes in bedrooms. It was a house about to be torn down, so we could do what we wanted. We were like a bunch of teenagers, spraying lyrics on the wall. I drank a lot of whiskey, I drank a lot of tequila, and I just had a great time. It was the beginning of glasnot, of coming in from the cold.

I wonder who "the three of us" refers to?

I thought he meant Edge, his exwife, and Bono. :shrug:

GibsonGirl said:

Same. And if Bono doesn't like some of his lyrics from the 80s... "The air is heavy, heavy as a truck," anyone? :|

I kinda like it....:reject:

I also like "Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head"...:reject: :reject:

GibsonGirl said:

For me, what Bono terms 'unfinished lyrically' I term 'fucking brilliant lyrically.'

I mean all the lyrics off Bomb were supposedly finished and bomb is the worst album lyrically by far imo, whereas the 'unfinished' lyrics of JT and UF, well.......:drool:

Back
Top Bottom