Bono in S. France now! Must be vacation time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IsDinnerReady said:

Hey, I think I agree with you guys. This Penelope gooey eyed Cuisey floozey, with assets hanging out all over the show, just ain't no good... I think it kinda sleazifies Bono that he constantly lets himself be photographed with various scantily clad models and the likes, but hey it's all probably just good "fun", if not some kind of publicity stunt..... If I were a mega-rich-god-like rock star I'm sure I'd be up to much worse ;-)

But maybe Bono doesn't see this in her, maybe this is just an image of the woman that the tabloid media has built, and Bono tries to see beyond the surface? He has always surrounded himself with controversial people, because he really tries to see their hearts and souls, and not just their outer appearance or how they are seen by other people. It's easy to judge someone you don't know, but I guess Bono knows a bit more about this girl than we all do, they have had a friendship going on for quite some time now.

I am not trying to defend Penelope in any way. As I said, I don't know much about her. But I would think that Bono likes her and enjoys her company, so I give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she's a nice person.

I have seen both videos as well and to be honest the impression that I got was that Penelope Cruz haz a major crush on him and she wants him badly and I mean not in helping him with any charity's and he seemed all flushed with her. To be truthfully blunt I think it's awfull the way he has been flirting obviously with her in front of family and friends, it must hurt Ali to see them flirting with eachother like that...love is blind yes but not that blind. In the second video it did seem to me that Helena was consoling her as well, Ali looked upset to me and why wouldn't she her middle aged husband who seems to be going through some mid life crisis is galavanting around with Cruz right in front of her and behind her as Bono and Cruz did leave the club at 4am?....hmmm

For me as a singer Bono is one of my favourites and I give him heaps of credit for his charity work etc....but lets face it his reputation has been stained by all of this.

oh. brother :rolleyes:

I guess that could be considered rude of me, but it's much ruder to spread gossip about one being unfaithful to their family and morals.

It's just the tabloids talking here.

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:
Ya, Bono's celebrity is beyond superstardom, he is an icon and living legend amoung us. What a trip that must be on your mind. No where to hide.
And yes, he handles it with as much grace as anyone I've ever noticed in the spotlight. And don't forget, behind every great man there is a great woman. Her name is Ali.

Well said! :wink:

last unicorn said:

But maybe Bono doesn't see this in her, maybe this is just an image of the woman that the tabloid media has built, and Bono tries to see beyond the surface? He has always surrounded himself with controversial people, because he really tries to see their hearts and souls, and not just their outer appearance or how they are seen by other people. It's easy to judge someone you don't know, but I guess Bono knows a bit more about this girl than we all do, they have had a friendship going on for quite some time now.

I am not trying to defend Penelope in any way. As I said, I don't know much about her. But I would think that Bono likes her and enjoys her company, so I give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she's a nice person.

What she said!:up:

My impression of Bono is that he flirts with /everybody/, male or female. Doesn't seem to matter too much to him, just part and parcel of his personality.

Why get so hot and bothered? Why jump to conclusions when you weren't there to see what happened?

dorathea said:
I have seen both videos as well and to be honest the impression that I got was that Penelope Cruz haz a major crush on him and she wants him badly and I mean not in helping him with any charity's and he seemed all flushed with her. To be truthfully blunt I think it's awfull the way he has been flirting obviously with her in front of family and friends, it must hurt Ali to see them flirting with eachother like that...love is blind yes but not that blind. In the second video it did seem to me that Helena was consoling her as well, Ali looked upset to me and why wouldn't she her middle aged husband who seems to be going through some mid life crisis is galavanting around with Cruz right in front of her and behind her as Bono and Cruz did leave the club at 4am?....hmmm

For me as a singer Bono is one of my favourites and I give him heaps of credit for his charity work etc....but lets face it his reputation has been stained by all of this.

Okay, obviously you don't know very much about Bono. It's sad that some people fall for this tabloid trash. I feel that here has already been too much discussion going on, it's not worth it.

Bono has always been a flirt, and if Penelope wants him or not, that's her thing, I don't see anything happening on his part, except that he is being his nice, flirty self.

We are talking about a guy here who gets cosy with girls and young women on a daily basis when he's on stage during a tour. Just think of the things he has been doing on stage with women over all these years. He's been away from Ali for months and has been seen in intimate situations with a lot of women.

Of course he can start distancing himself from people who are dear to him, just because the media talks crap, but that wouldn't be Bono. I think some of us are taking this too seriously. We all weren't there and don't know what has been going on.

And no, his image is certainly not "stained" by all of this, that's crap. Just look what other celebrities are doing and what kind of shit is being reported about them every day. This stupid Bono-Penelope-story will go away very soon, and fans shouldn't continue to rant about it.

Marien said:
First Paris, now this, I think it's being too quiet a summer for paparazi, they seem determined to set up a story about Bono and if they go on sieging their house like this, he will have to take protective measures against these assaults to his privacy, all the worst for his fans who have always enjoy his friendly and open character. Shame.:mad:

The South of France has always been a major celebrity hangout, even more the past two summers than in recent years. Now the papps know to stake out the beaches there. I doubt the papps were tresspassing, since the beaches are public property, and even if they were shooed off the beach, they can hire boats and use long lenses.

Listen to what it's written in some magazines here in Italy! They report the british press by telling this precise words:
"(...)They spent the night together in one of the most exclusive nigthclub in St.Tropez, always hand in hand(...)Then, not happy, they repeated the day after by strolling always hand in hand along the roads of the small town, together with friend and ex-model Helena Christensen.(...)" (tgcom.mediaset.it/gossip/articoli/articolo372703.shtml)
and going on
"(...)the british tabloid reported that the two stars have been catched out while strolling tenderly hand in hand before getting quickly into a car, as soon as they realized to become prey for paparazzi.(...)"
(repubblica.it/news/ired/ultimora/2006/rep_nazionale_n_2405584.html?ref=hpsbdx2)
:eyebrow:
well, girls...I have seen all the beautiful photos you posted in this thread and all the videos...but sincerely it seems to me that this phantom strolling (?) was a little crowded to be romantic! :coocoo:
It's really a shame what is blown up by the press!

i heard about this rumor theres no way its true and if it is well im sorry bono i love ya but penelope? =P :banghead:

dorathea said:

Actually to me it looks like Helena is the one who is most upset and uncomfortable and Ali has her usual 'this is so ridiculous' smirk. As someone else pointed out, Ali is probably more bothered by the fact that her kids are in the middle of this than by anything Bono is doing. And Ali herself has in the past reprimanded Bono for thinking of altering his behaviour based on what the tabloids might think. It's funny but when Bono was Oprah promoting (RED) he held her hand, opened her car door, had her sit on his lap in a photo booth and kissed her on the lips and I didn't see one story suggesting they were having an affair. But here he is in the company of his entire family plus many friends and they turn simple hand holding into an illicit affair. What surprises me most about this is the fact that some of the fans are actually buying into this crap. It's par for the course that the tabloids would print these stories, but to see that some of the fans here seem to be swallowing the crap is a lot more disturbing. Anyone who hangs out here on a regular basis should be able to see through this crap.

Dana

rihannsu said:

Actually to me it looks like Helena is the one who is most upset and uncomfortable and Ali has her usual 'this is so ridiculous' smirk. As someone else pointed out, Ali is probably more bothered by the fact that her kids are in the middle of this than by anything Bono is doing.
Dana

yeah thanks Dana I noticed that too, I pointed it out but I guess noone read it lol

I first heard about this Bono-Penelope Cruz brouhaha Friday on the car radio en route to work. The speculation on behalf of the DJ reporting the celebrity smack really pissed me off. THEY are the ones who blow things so out of reality and proportion. I've now seen video and the pics. There's nothing to be made out of it! Any true U2 or Bono fan know that Bono and Helena Christensen have been friends for YEARS.....Bono has openly and publicly admitted that he loves women. All kinds of women. He's a ladies' man. It's no big deal for him to open doors for women, hold their hands, treat them special. That's all I see here but I also know Cruz has made it known she's interested in working for some of Bono's charity causes AND also that she's smitten with him. What red-blooded female isn't?

In many of the pictures I saw Eve was there with Bono and I highly doubt if there was ANY truth to the rumors here that a father would be dragging his children into the fray.

rihannsu said:

Actually to me it looks like Helena is the one who is most upset and uncomfortable and Ali has her usual 'this is so ridiculous' smirk. As someone else pointed out, Ali is probably more bothered by the fact that her kids are in the middle of this than by anything Bono is doing. And Ali herself has in the past reprimanded Bono for thinking of altering his behaviour based on what the tabloids might think. It's funny but when Bono was Oprah promoting (RED) he held her hand, opened her car door, had her sit on his lap in a photo booth and kissed her on the lips and I didn't see one story suggesting they were having an affair. But here he is in the company of his entire family plus many friends and they turn simple hand holding into an illicit affair. What surprises me most about this is the fact that some of the fans are actually buying into this crap. It's par for the course that the tabloids would print these stories, but to see that some of the fans here seem to be swallowing the crap is a lot more disturbing. Anyone who hangs out here on a regular basis should be able to see through this crap.

Dana

I couldnt have said it better myself. :up:

Ok, I just talked to my husband about this whole mess and showed him the pictures. I wanted a male view. He totally surprised me with his answer!! He said he sees nothing suspicious about them holding hands. He said European people kiss and hold hands all the time and it doesn't mean anything romantic. He also said that he was being a "gentleman" by taking their hands when going through the crowds. He says it looks obvious that Penelope has a hero crush on Bono but that doesn't mean he is "banging" her! :lol: He said that the paparazzi is going to try to turn anything around to sell papers which I already knew. In my husbands words, Bono is not being "caught" sneaking around with Penelope, there are a ton of people around them and he knows what he is doing.

I felt better after the conversation with him but then I did a google search on "bono penelope" and I can't believe how rampant this rumour is spreading!!! I do hope Bono says something to the press to shut them up even if it is just for Ali's sake. The press is talking like Bono has thrown her totally aside for Penelope. :mad:

Nuala said:
Ok, I just talked to my husband about this whole mess and showed him the pictures. I wanted a male view. He totally surprised me with his answer!! He said he sees nothing suspicious about them holding hands. He said European people kiss and hold hands all the time and it doesn't mean anything romantic. He also said that he was being a "gentleman" by taking their hands when going through the crowds. He says it looks obvious that Penelope has a hero crush on Bono but that doesn't mean he is "banging" her! :lol: He said that the paparazzi is going to try to turn anything around to sell papers which I already knew. In my husbands words, Bono is not being "caught" sneaking around with Penelope, there are a ton of people around them and he knows what he is doing.

I felt better after the conversation with him but then I did a google search on "bono penelope" and I can't believe how rampant this rumour is spreading!!! I do hope Bono says something to the press to shut them up even if it is just for Ali's sake. The press is talking like Bono has thrown her totally aside for Penelope. :mad:

:up: perfectly said...

I'd like to add an 'amen' to that. Come on.. this is BONO. He flirts with everything - animate or inanimte.

:bono:: Oh hai thar, tree:heart::love::hug:

Eh.. some people just want to believe anything bad about the man and will jump all over it if given half the chance :shrug: Let them wallow in their negativity.

Amazing how stupid people can be...if there was something going on, they wouldn't be openly posing for those pics.:wink:

U2isthebest said:

I'd sacrifice my reputation for Bono...:shifty:

He can fly me in:drool:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Btw, I just got back from another fan site. Some of them are doing the whole "oh my god, what if its true and even if it isn't he shouldn't be doing that in public oh what does his wife think oh woe" type crap. Myself and some others have tried to put them straight!

What gets *my* goat is the fact that a couple of these ninnies were trying to make something out of those photos of him and Alicia Keyes holding hands at the Tribeca film festival earlier this year! You would think by now they would know these PDA's don't mean much... :huh:

rihannsu said:

Actually to me it looks like Helena is the one who is most upset and uncomfortable and Ali has her usual 'this is so ridiculous' smirk. As someone else pointed out, Ali is probably more bothered by the fact that her kids are in the middle of this than by anything Bono is doing. And Ali herself has in the past reprimanded Bono for thinking of altering his behaviour based on what the tabloids might think. It's funny but when Bono was Oprah promoting (RED) he held her hand, opened her car door, had her sit on his lap in a photo booth and kissed her on the lips and I didn't see one story suggesting they were having an affair. But here he is in the company of his entire family plus many friends and they turn simple hand holding into an illicit affair. ...
Dana

i was just thinking the same thing about the Oprah incident, and there are so many others where Bono is very affectionate with others around him.

I also completely agree with your comment on Ali, she probably thought the place looked like a 3-ring circus, which it did. regardless of how well off these celebrities are, you have to wonder how they put up with being hounded like this. i'd be miffed too if my kids were in the middle of this stupidity, and all for the sake of taking what probably will turn out to be most likely a really bad photo on their cell phone or camera. if you wait long enough there are always pictures published in the papers the very next day that will definitely turn out better than anything they could have gotten with their little cameras.

so how about being decent, let the people through, stop rushing around like idiots, wave and say a nice hello. i'm sure you'd get more out of the moment than running around like a chicken with their heads cut off.

this all just makes me admire ali even more.

Hehe, I don't know what other people sould say, but if as the video shows, there are way too many people around there. I don't think Bono would be that stupid to show affection to another woman in this kind of situation, if he did have something going on with her.

Just think about the office relationships, would the pair ever show any affection in the office in front of the co-workers and their boss?

Don't even need to mention Ali and Eve were there with Bono too.

I think the people who questioned Bono's relationship with the two ladies need to take a IQ test.

hcbiggs2002 said:

Notice how the camera never really focuses in on Ali? :eyebrow: They obviously have no idea she's Bono's wife!! :huh:

So true! We fans (mostly) know...but outside of that (despite the whole Edun thing) most don't. Even people in the media!

I remember a couple of years ago somebody here posted a pic of Bono & Ali at a function in South Africa. It came from BBC news and said "Bono and unknown female companion"!

If the BBC don't know...:|

kimby said:

So true! We fans (mostly) know...but outside of that (despite the whole Edun thing) most don't. Even people in the media!

I was afraid that they were going to ask Christy about the Paris rumors in front of Ali. :huh: I'm sure she would give a proper answer, but thank God they didn't.

Very early in U2's career Bono spoke of an incident at one of the venues in the US. He and Ali were walking around backstage after a show holding hands when venue security literally ripped her away from him and tried to throw her out in spite of the fact that he was yelling at them that she was his wife. It took Paul McGuiness to straighten the whole thing out. So that right there is a good precedent for Bono to hold on to his companions when there is a crush around.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom