Bono in Germany June 6 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at that show, the P8 concert, and came back home today, so many impressions, so much to tell, and I have to catch up on photos and downloads, pure stress.

Let me all tell you that it was a brilliant, brilliant show, also with a bit of fun, but of course a lot of seriousness.

It was a festival of love and peace, overall a PEACEFUL protest and demonstration. People were in good mood, singing along, dancing, chatting, discussing a lot.

The films and the speakers were very interesting, but also made me so so angry at times, they also showed me once again why the work of Bono and Bob and so many others is so important.

Throughout our stay in Germany I followed all the news about the G8 very closely, Bono was in the media a lot.

For those of you who were disappointed, felt "let down" or whatever by Edge's non-appearance:
You seem to forget what this event was supposed to be all about.
The concert was NOT a U2 show, and an Edge appearance was only a rumour, never confirmed.

Honestly, I got more than I expected. I never expected Bono to sing 3-4 songs. I expected him to do more talking, but he was so humble, as it was Herbert Groenemeyer's show. And Herbert is so passionate about all of this, it was so great seeing him, I love the man.

There were some surprises, man, that was so cool.

Die Toten Hosen were awsome, they always put on such a great live show.

We were very close to the stage, standing next to the press stage of German TV station ARD, though we tried to get another place at the other side of the stage, but it wasn't possible because there were too many people, we couldn't get through, it was so tight. And hot, the sun burning like crazy, my back and neck are totally red, it hurts!

But in the end our location turned out to be perfect, because at some point during the show BONO and BOB appeared on the ARD stage to give an interview and they were only a few feet away from us, I was so exicted and I think I just stood there and stared in disbelief with my mouth open!

I didn't really follow the performance on the main stage at this point because I was always looking at Bono and, strangely enough, at his nice, fuzzy hair. There were some people calling his name, and when the interview ended, he gave us a wave and a very sweet smile.

Later, Herbert was coming to the press stage as well, giving an interview, waving and shaking along to the music. It was so cool!

And when Bono came out on stage to perform, it was so fantastic, yet so surreal.

We were in front of the stage by then. Bono and Bob came out holding hands, that was so sweet! The songs were perfect for the occasion and Bono's voice in very good shape. He looked great, I found that many photos simply don't do him justice (except of course yours, Matt, thank you so much for the pictures ... I have had a hard time looking for all the stuff, the pictures, the media reports, interviews etc.).

Strange thing was that Dallas was there along with Bonos green Falcon, but the guitar was never used. During rehearsals earlier that day, Dallas played parts of One and Bad and some other U2 songs I cannot remember exactly now.

It was so great seeing him sing with Bob, Campino and Youssou, such an amazing surprise, what a combination!

Later on he sang with Herbert in German, it was hilarious, they had fun, Bono had a hard time remembering the German lyrics and messed up most of the song, Herbert was always laughing at him. It was a bit cringeworthy, but then again very nice, because Bono was trying to show respect to Herbert and wanted to do the duet in German.

He said later on television: I am not only a great singer, but also a great comedian. Did you hear my German?

Herbert said they didn't rehearse at all, neither did Bob and Die Toten Hosen, there simply had been no time, but for that, the outcome was pretty good.

The other three songs were fine, even though Bono seemed a bit depressed at first because the G8 meetings weren't going the way he expected them. But he sang with a lot of passion and a really great voice. We were so surprised by the choice of songs.

It was a great show and such an important event. We spend the whole day there, buying stuff, discussing issues, collecting information, signing up to campaings. The spirit was just amazing and I am so glad that everything was peaceful and that people were showing that a peaceful protest is indeed possible.

Last not least: Has anyone uploaded the mp3s and/or videos of the performances with Bono? I have seen it on You Tube but would LOVE to have a download. I have "Carry the weight", but not the other songs.
Thanx so much!

I looove the purple socks! It's just one of those little things, you know? Most people probably don't notice, and his pants are usually so long you don't see his socks much at all, but it's the kind of thing that WE will always notice and that makes it so :cute:

gluey said:
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE those purple socks!! I wonder if there's a reason why he wears them.....favourite colour? Indulging Galeongirl?? Lucky socks??? :D

Maybe his secret hero is Donny Osmond (Donny used to wear purple socks:shifty: ) :wink:

kimby said:

Maybe his secret hero is Donny Osmond (Donny used to wear purple socks:shifty: ) :wink:

:no::no::no::no:

Purge those images from my head!!!!

:shh:I used to have a Donny Osmond doll when I was little......"I'm a little bit rock and roll...." :shh:

I think Bono has left Germany, maybe he's back in Morrocco.

I haven't made any pictures myself, but my friend has made some, I can upload them as soon as she sends them to me. I don't think they will be as good as Matt's pictures.

last unicorn , thanks for posting your experience and im sure any pics you have will be very much appreciated.

i felt very sad for bono and bob, they were so frustrated , 1 step forward 10 steps back. damm politicians :mad:

Last Unicorn, thank-you so much for your post! :) How wonderful that you were there! Bono turned up at the Melbourne Make Poverty History Concert last year before U2's first Melbourne Concert and it was awesome! :D

You can download the G8 concert from a profile on u2.com (just remove the spaces):

http:// www.u2.com/bbs/ showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=125065&page=223&what=showmembers

Just scroll to the bottom of the page! It's the very last link! :) Hope you enjoy it! :D

Thank you so much for the link, I was looking for this! :bow:

Btw, I heard that Edge was indeed supposed to perform but got sick and had so stay in the hotel. Anyone else heard that?

Strange thing is that all signs were directing towards an Edge appearance, hence Dallas' presence at the show etc.

Maybe it's the Morrocanian food. I was actually worried a bit for Bono because of it. Everyone I know who's been to Morrocco, including myself, became sick from the food.

last unicorn said:
Thank you so much for the link, I was looking for this! :bow:

Btw, I heard that Edge was indeed supposed to perform but got sick and had so stay in the hotel. Anyone else heard that?

Strange thing is that all signs were directing towards an Edge appearance, hence Dallas' presence at the show etc.

Maybe it's the Morrocanian food. I was actually worried a bit for Bono because of it. Everyone I know who's been to Morrocco, including myself, became sick from the food.

Oh really?

I just read a Chinese businessman's blog post this afternnon, he said Morocco food was wonderful, and it was one of the reason he highly recommend people to go to Morocco for their holidays.... :ohmy:

I was :drool: along reading his post....:reject:

Yes, the food is wonderful and tastes great, but, like almost everywhere in Northern Africa, it can cause diarrhia (sp?) and other problems, especially if you are not used to it. I am normally not a very sensitive person when it comes to stuff like this and I travel a lot, but after my trip to Morrocco last year I was sick for almost two weeks, though we were all very careful with the water and anything else.

last unicorn, thank you very much for your impressions of the Rostock concert.

I am glad that one of us was able to be there to report back to the group.

Looking forward to more from you regarding that day and the concert. :bonodrum: :hi5:

last unicorn said:
Yes, the food is wonderful and tastes great, but, like almost everywhere in Northern Africa, it can cause diarrhia (sp?) and other problems, especially if you are not used to it. I am normally not a very sensitive person when it comes to stuff like this and I travel a lot, but after my trip to Morrocco last year I was sick for almost two weeks, though we were all very careful with the water and anything else.

Sorry to hear that.

I only have diarrhea when I eat far too much fruit. Last time it happened after I ate 4 kilos of strawberries in one afternoon. :angel:

bonocomet said:
YES purple sox! Where is Gg and her ZOMG?! :lol:

:tongue: grounded and not allowed to use the pc till the end of summer.....

:wink: pity that my parents can't check what I do when they're working!

:drool: zomgtehpurplesockz...

:wink: like that?

Seems like the purple socks escaped my attention. I was too focused on Bono's great fuzzy hairstyle. And on his shortness.

I also thought it was funny how he was dressed all in black and long sleeves and everything with temperatures like that. He must have sweated like crazy.

last unicorn said:
Seems like the purple socks escaped my attention. I was too focused on Bono's great fuzzy hairstyle. And on his shortness.

I also thought it was funny how he was dressed all in black and long sleeves and everything with temperatures like that. He must have sweated like crazy.

Bono: Any cost to hide my extra weight...:|

I thought Bono looked pretty good, maybe a little tired and clearly distressed by everything that had been going on.
I don't mind the little "extra Bono" we get these days. During the show I just thought that he is a very beautiful person, I really did.

extra weight :mad:
he was looking friking gorgeous .
536965938a99541919bojb5.jpg

:reject:

Thanks last unicorn For posting story :D Glad you had a wonderful time :D Hearing what you said about Morrocco turns me off to ever going there :(
Thanks matt for the photos i love bono's purple socks :D

Thank you AchtungGirl219 For the link to the video :D

butter7 Least your bowls worked well. ;)

last unicorn said:
I thought Bono looked pretty good, maybe a little tired and clearly distressed by everything that had been going on.
I don't mind the little "extra Bono" we get these days. During the show I just thought that he is a very beautiful person, I really did.

I do too. If you want to know the truth.....He's the most beautiful man I've ever saw in my life.

bella88 said:
Thanks last unicorn For posting story :D Glad you had a wonderful time :D Hearing what you said about Morrocco turns me off to ever going there :(
Oh no, you should definitly visit Morrocco, it's a beautiful country, just be careful with the food, don't trink water (except the bottled water you can buy everywhere), don't eat raw fruits and vegetables and take the right medication with you. And, oh yes, a bottle of whiskey or schnaps isn't wrong either.

greety said:
Is there any audio available yet?

The link AchtungGirl219 posted is video (and I don't mind at all :) ) but I can't put that on my ipod :sigh:

:reject: oh boy I missed the link!

I heard it's on youtube already, I'll get a wmp friendly and an ipod friendly file :)

Back
Top Bottom