Bono criticised for endorsing Shoot the Boer song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people have this weird need to hate Bono. If they they can't find a good current reason to do so they'll make one up I guess. :| :shrug:

I must admit, after reading all the subsequent posts, I may have jumped to conclusions concerning Bono's so called "endorsement" of this song; if it isn't true--I'm deeply sorry Bono! Woe to those of us who don't think twice!

I wonder what the guy who threw his tickets in the river is feeling.
He´s too stupid....this may be the last u2 concert in South Africa and he´s lost his opportunity.....
I don´t know how people can believe that Bono will say/make such a thing and they "shame on you bono" "you don´t exist anymore"

Maybe the sentiment over the song itself is so strong and painful in its history that even a mere mention brings up a lot of emotion for some South Africans.

that being said, he must not have liked U2 that much anyway.

He just got them to impress someone, I'm sure. :wink:

But also, clearly he bought more than one - I wonder what that other person/people thought when he told them he threw away the tickets.

"You WHAT?????"

"His lack of honesty", come on, I think that is too much, if trying to appear knowledgeable on a subject someone obviously doesn't fully understand were such a serious thing, we should be considering closing down this site, as no one here could be considered completely honest.

I don't understand very well what the problem with the song is, I do know that the boers enslaved black people in South Africa for generations and I don't expect them to have forgotten it in twenty years, I expect people to sing the song without even thinking what they are singing, that is what I interpret from Bono's telling about him singing a rebel song as a child, that's what I think Bono is saying, that's not an endorsement.

I'm not defending the song, I want that to be clear, I don't even know it, I'm anti racism and I consider myself a pacifist, nothing justifies killing a person in my eyes, but I also think that white people in South Africa must understand and not forget that they were the opressors, it wasn't the other way round, I don't think resentment comes from a song, it comes from the past.

All of this, for the most part. :up:

you can say "anti-racism", Marien, it makes perfect sense... i had no idea what vaz02 was on about tbh...

"anti-racism" is being against the concept of racism, whereas "anti-racist" is being against racist people... :)

And a girl on facebook said (before all this) "I wouldn´t spend $1000 not even on U2" ANOTHER stupid :| Because not all the sections cost $1000, there are others cheaper than that.

Perhaps read better next time. She clearly said 1000 RAND. That's about 137 dollar. :wink:

Perhaps read better next time. She clearly said 1000 RAND. That's about 137 dollar. :wink:
No, it was exactly what I´ve translated it. Because I was talking about another person (in Argentina) who thinks 1000 "pesos" (250 dollars) are too expensive no matter how fan she is.
That´s why I´ve said "before all this" (This=the supposed/so-called endorsement and all that....)

Ah, I saw a twitter post about U2SA that said the exact same thing you posted, but with 1000 rand, and aiming at the Johannesburg show.

you can say "anti-racism", Marien, it makes perfect sense... i had no idea what vaz02 was on about tbh...

"anti-racism" is being against the concept of racism, whereas "anti-racist" is being against racist people... :)

Im not an anti racist. I'm just not racist.

I'm anti not breathing air.

That's a difference between you and me, I'm not a racist and I don't approve of racism.

I don't make fun of foreigners either and I'm anti-xenophobia.

I don't need to make a statement to declare I'm not a racist :wink:

Hows pro life going ?

Back
Top Bottom