Before U2 calls it quits I wish they would.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjohn2441

Refugee
....make a real rock album.

No ballads, no delay pedal, no experimental sounds, just a return to good old sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Guitars, Bass, Drums, Vocals, maybe a harmonica, and THATS IT. They would sound something like Desire from the rattle and hum movie, raw and bad-ass. 11-15 or so 3-5 minute straight up rock songs. No whiney lyrics from Bono. Edge could for once show us what he's got and do some real guitar solos, not 5 minute show-offs, but something better than half-ass slide solos or the same 4 notes again and again for 10 seconds.

And to those of you who are going to say "i dont want just rock songs, that's not U2", i ask you this:

how many different genre's of music have U2 dipped into during their career? Punk, post-punk, experimental, alternative, new age, gospel, disco, even r&b. why couldnt they do straight up rock music? they just scratched the surface of that with Rattle and Hum, and those "rockers" on that album were pretty good. desire, god part II, all along the watchtower from lovetown.

:rockon:

They rocked on War, and Achtung Baby.

But there will never be an album of 11 songs like Desire.

that's what Itunes playlists are for. i, for one, would rather shoot myself in the foot than have to endure a true straightforward rock album by U2.

I think you've been listening to the wrong band.

ha, i listen to a LOT of bands.

and they've had at least 1 "rocker" on every album, whats wrong with a whole album of them?

i just think it would be interesting to see what they could come up with as far as straight up rock.

They rocked on War, and Achtung Baby.

But there will never be an album of 11 songs like Desire.

i didnt mean actually like desire, more like that guitar tone from the movie. That raw rock tone.

U2 can't return to making a rock album. They've never made one.

And I don't believe they'll call their quits either. :wink:

U2 have done rock, pop, jazz, bluesy.

I like people like Beatles, Elton John, early Oasis and this is because their music is known as rock-pop. I hate noizy bands like White Stripes, The Who and Led Zepplin because they are non-melodic. I like the melodic line. There's another band who've been very sucessful for years but ditched their well loved big chorus formula. The result? They were ditched by their original label and had to sign to another.

Guitar solo's? Music is not a competitive sport is it?

U2 have done rock, pop, jazz, bluesy.

I like people like Beatles, Elton John, early Oasis and this is because their music is known as rock-pop. I hate noizy bands like White Stripes, The Who and Led Zepplin because they are non-melodic. I like the melodic line. There's another band who've been very sucessful for years but ditched their well loved big chorus formula. The result? They were ditched by their original label and had to sign to another.

Guitar solo's? Music is not a competitive sport is it?

stairway to heaven isnt melodic? plenty of Zeppelin's stuff is melodic.

ha, i listen to a LOT of bands.

and they've had at least 1 "rocker" on every album, whats wrong with a whole album of them?

i just think it would be interesting to see what they could come up with as far as straight up rock.

That's what I meant. There's nothing wrong with a whole rock songs album, but it would be wrong for this band. That's not what this band is about. I think Rattle & Hum would be the closest they'll ever get to that thing you'll like to see from them.

Before U2 calls it quits I wish they would.....
they should do better quality of music, they should do it with a similar attitude as they had in the 90s!!!:up:
and they shold play a full band version of ACROBAT loud, proud and rocking:heart:

I'd love an album of U2 rockers if they were all of high caliber (Vertigo, Elevation, Gone, Pride, Until the End of the World, etc.). I don't think they have it in them, though, even if they wanted. As time goes on their rock edge seems to get duller and duller. Even though Bono always bags on prog. rock to me this new album sounds more prog. rock than anything they've ever done. They went for a more low key, musical, Pink Floydish feel. ATYCLB and HTDAAB sound light rock/adult contemporary/pop rock to me.

i ask you this:

how many different genre's of music have U2 dipped into during their career? Punk, post-punk, experimental, alternative, new age, gospel, disco, even r&b. why couldnt they do straight up rock music?
I don't understand your reasoning here as U2 indeed has dipped into all these genres but they never made a full on punk, gospel, r&b etc etc album
so I don't get why you present this as a reason why they should make a full on rock album

:shrug:

I don't understand your reasoning here as U2 indeed has dipped into all these genres but they never made a full on punk, gospel, r&b etc etc album
so I don't get why you present this as a reason why they should make a full on rock album

:shrug:

well it would be something they havent done before. id take that over another album along the lines of ATYCLB, Bomb, and even NLOTH

maybe they could make a country album. they could make all their songs just a little more Republican.

We've got 40 years of straight up bluesy rock to listen to.
From every band imaginable including U2.
Before U2 calls it quits, they should leave this fossil-rock behind, completely.

people asked for straightforward rock, they gave us Vertigo and All Because of You and most of the people on interference hate those songs.

people asked for straightforward rock, they gave us Vertigo and All Because of You and most of the people on interference hate those songs.

Yeah, I'm afraid this is what we would get these days...

I think in their minds it would be too much of a step backwards.

Before U2 calls it quits, I wish they would.....

..........come to my house for dinner.

....make a real rock album.

No ballads, no delay pedal, no experimental sounds, just a return to good old sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Guitars, Bass, Drums, Vocals, maybe a harmonica, and THATS IT. They would sound something like Desire from the rattle and hum movie, raw and bad-ass. 11-15 or so 3-5 minute straight up rock songs. No whiney lyrics from Bono. Edge could for once show us what he's got and do some real guitar solos, not 5 minute show-offs, but something better than half-ass slide solos or the same 4 notes again and again for 10 seconds.

And to those of you who are going to say "i dont want just rock songs, that's not U2", i ask you this:

how many different genre's of music have U2 dipped into during their career? Punk, post-punk, experimental, alternative, new age, gospel, disco, even r&b. why couldnt they do straight up rock music? they just scratched the surface of that with Rattle and Hum, and those "rockers" on that album were pretty good. desire, god part II, all along the watchtower from lovetown.

:rockon:

Delay is inseparable from Edge for me, so that would have to stay, but I hear what you're saying. :up: Vertigo, LAPOE, ABOY, God Part II...songs in that same vein with the same initial/original idea/intent. Definitely. I was waiting for Stand Up Comedy and Unknown Caller on this album just because of the talk of Edge's work on them, but they both failed to live up to the talk for me.

On a different note, I'd love to see them try an album of Celtic music as well, something along the lines of Drowning Man and Tomorrow. :up:

Well, (the song) No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Breathe, Magnificent, Crazy... all pretty rockin'. You make it sound like the album (NLOTH) is Boots plus 10 versions of White As Snow.

No delay? Edge has used delay on most U2 songs - even the rockin' Post-Punk bass/drums/guitar stuff that you seem to hold dear to your heart.

No experimenting? All songs that sound 'rock'? That would make them AC/DC? And AC/DC is quite good at being AC/DC, U2 needn't try.

Hot guitar solos? Edge can rip a solo here and that but that has never been what he's wanted to do. He's never been a shredder or even a 'rock' guitarist in the Eddie Van Halen to Jimmy Page lots of solos realm - so I doubt that'd happen.

And as for your assessment of half ass slide solos... Edge has done a few slide solos, none half ass and all - melodic and that enhance the song. (Kite, Magnificent, Miracle Drug...) While you don't favor them, and you don't have to like them at all, calling them 'half assed' is both subjective and rude.

Rattle and Hum is a 'rock' album? Hardly. I love the album. There are great songs and performances there but 'rock'? Not so much...
"Desire" is very similar to The Stooges 1969 and Edge has said so. (It's what inspired it and they added snippets of it to the Love Town shows). Van Dieman's Land, Love Rescue Me, Heartland, All I Want is You... hardly 'rock'. God Part II and Hawkmoon 269? Rockin' but also experimental to some extent and you said you didn't want that. The rock songs were good? Sure. But for the most part - that leaves Desire and all the live tracks that were covers, B-Sides or from other albums.

Surely you will not agree. That is fine. We can agree to disagree. But you will more than likely be disappointed if you are holding out for all... and probably most anything on your 'wishlist'.

Strait out Rock n Roll!! YES PLEASE!!

SUP
LAPOE
VERTIGO
ABOY
ACROBAT
DESIRE
GOD PART II
BTBS
THE FLY
UTEOTW

Imagine that for a lineup, without some of the crappy lyrics though!
What dreams are made of!

Back
Top Bottom