Bastard Township Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Sailing, a niche sport? Psh, it's only just behind rugby and cricket for New Zealand. We're one of the best sailing countries in the world. :drool:

(Still heartbroken over last year's America's Cup. Ugh. ONE LOUSY FUCKING SECOND AND THINGS MAY HAVE BEEN SO TOTALLY DIFFERENT.)

Ahhh nice. Someone who understands! Although I never really got into big-boat sailing - small-boat sailing is more suited for me, cause then you're only depending on yourself and not like 10 others to prevent the boat from capsizing...

Sailing is intense. But here, it is still regarded as a bit of a niche sport, as far as I've noticed.

The Sad Punk said:
I hate the SA teams because I live in SA and have to put up with them all the time. I'd have to say I hate Port less though, because at least their SANFL club has a strong history. The Crows are just corporate shit.

Also, Crows fans are THE bogans of the world. Very much arseholes, too. I know of cases in which Crows supporters would trash cars owned by supporters of the opposition that were parked outside Footy Park.

As for the Saints, eh... they just don't do anything for me. But I certainly don't hate them as much as the Crows.

See, I figured that since you're South Australian, you'd go for the teams from there. But this is something I'm learning about AFL: unlike the NPC rugby in New Zealand, people don't go for the team from where they're from! I don't think I've ever met somebody who lives in Essendon and actually goes for Essendon, or in Carlton who actually goes for Carlton, etc.

And wow, surely Crows fans can't outdo Collingwood fans for being the shittiest in the AFL?

COBL_04 said:
hey all :)
talkin footy?

Hey Danny! :wave:

Yeah, the Maj. and I were talking about a course we have together at uni, so I figured I'd bring up footy so that Bonnie isn't excluded from the thread. :wink:

Axver said:

See, I figured that since you're South Australian, you'd go for the teams from there. But this is something I'm learning about AFL: unlike the NPC rugby in New Zealand, people don't go for the team from where they're from! I don't think I've ever met somebody who lives in Essendon and actually goes for Essendon, or in Carlton who actually goes for Carlton, etc.

And wow, surely Crows fans can't outdo Collingwood fans for being the shittiest in the AFL?

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Nobody supports their local team for some reason.

When it comes to soccer, on the other hand... Completely different.

COBL_04 said:

Nto too much Bonnie yourself???

Looks like your boys will be right w/o judd n cousins... I don't think Judd will ever be as good again anyway...

Yeah, I'm just chilling with these Melbourne boys...

I hope we'll be alright, although the 2nd and 3rd quarters were shocking from us. We need to be able to pace our game better. Still it was a pretty good effort from most of us, and Kerr looks like he'll deal the damage yet again.

major_panic said:

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Nobody supports their local team for some reason.

When it comes to soccer, on the other hand... Completely different.

Yes, I'm not completely sure why that is. Sometimes it's simply influence from interstate family or friends. Or people want to be different. Or they just choose them because of the colours or mascot, and actually develop a genuine interest from there.

major_panic said:

Ahhh nice. Someone who understands! Although I never really got into big-boat sailing - small-boat sailing is more suited for me, cause then you're only depending on yourself and not like 10 others to prevent the boat from capsizing...

Sailing is intense. But here, it is still regarded as a bit of a niche sport, as far as I've noticed.

I've only been sailing a few times myself. I'm a bit of a wuss on the water. It's good fun though and I'd like to go more often. What's Port Philip/anywhere else near Melbourne like for sailing? Wellington Harbour was always good fun.

I do hope you are familiar with the name Sir Peter Blake. Behind Sir Edmund Hillary and Julius Vogel, I consider him the greatest ever New Zealander. What a fucking incredible man.

COBL_04 said:

Not too bad. The problem is that I haven't kicked into Yr 12 mode yet... were on holidays and im still only 'crusing' along. bit of a worry. :lol:

gday axver

Eh, the difficulty of year 12 is usually overrated, provided you actually do some work. What subjects are you doing? I've seen them posted somewhere, but can't remember, sorry.

The few times I've sailed, I've loved it. Especially just on little boats with maybe one or two people. Awesome fun.

Though it's not at all a big thing here, as you may have gathered.

The Sad Punk said:
Yeah, I'm just chilling with these Melbourne boys...

I hope we'll be alright, although the 2nd and 3rd quarters were shocking from us. We need to be able to pace our game better. Still it was a pretty good effort from most of us, and Kerr looks like he'll deal the damage yet again.

sorry.

could help myself.

nah in all seriousness i think you guys looked alright actually, i have you in my eight. i dont know why everyone else thinks theyre going down the shitter.

Priddis :drool:

Whens Nicoski back??

And on the not supporting home town teams in the AFL... its a point I actually agree with inte on. It's because tradition has been lost... Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, etc all formerly had hoem grounds, but are now, apart from Geelong, all playing at either the MCG or Telstra Dome. There's no individuality.

Axver said:

I've only been sailing a few times myself. I'm a bit of a wuss on the water. It's good fun though and I'd like to go more often. What's Port Philip/anywhere else near Melbourne like for sailing? Wellington Harbour was always good fun.

I do hope you are familiar with the name Sir Peter Blake. Behind Sir Edmund Hillary and Julius Vogel, I consider him the greatest ever New Zealander. What a fucking incredible man.

:reject: I have no idea who he is, my sailing has consisted of training and competition only, and a lot of it in Malaysia!

Port Philip is pretty decent to sail in, especially down Sandringham way, but for some reason they kept having our high school regattas down at the Docklands.

Yea, I shit you not, the DOCKLANDS. :huh:

Sailing seriously requires some guts though; when it's blowing 40 knots and you're in a tiny boat by yourself, well, it separates the boys from the men.

major_panic said:

Eh, the difficulty of year 12 is usually overrated, provided you actually do some work.

I agree with this, but fuck, I'm strolling through third year university right now so nobody should take what I say seriously.

major_panic said:

Eh, the difficulty of year 12 is usually overrated, provided you actually do some work. What subjects are you doing? I've seen them posted somewhere, but can't remember, sorry.

It is. the problem is the school make us think its the be-all-and-end-all because the higher schools we get, the better the school looks. and thats bull because personally i dont give a shit if mackillop finishes last in the state, as long as i get the enter i need.

:lol: umm I did Theology last year, got 30, Further Maths last year, 35 and this year - Psych, Chem, Lit, English and Italian.

COBL_04 said:

It is. the problem is the school make us think its the be-all-and-end-all because the higher schools we get, the better the school looks. and thats bull because personally i dont give a shit if mackillop finishes last in the state, as long as i get the enter i need.

:lol: umm I did Theology last year, got 30, Further Maths last year, 35 and this year - Psych, Chem, Lit, English and Italian.

Looks like a pretty nice combination, although VCE Chem seriously takes it. I did the Asian five, so I'd say your workload should be pretty light really.

major_panic said:

Looks like a pretty nice combination, although VCE Chem seriously takes it. I did the Asian five, so I'd say your workload should be pretty light really.

Workload is ok... Italian and Chem are pretty heavy though. English is a breeze for me, as is Psych.

Hey axver, youre a cricket fan... i thought pietersen was an attacking batsman? his strike rates in this series have been deplorable.

horrible day for the sheep shaggers as well.

major_panic said:
:reject: I have no idea who he is, my sailing has consisted of training and competition only, and a lot of it in Malaysia!

Port Philip is pretty decent to sail in, especially down Sandringham way, but for some reason they kept having our high school regattas down at the Docklands.

Yea, I shit you not, the DOCKLANDS. :huh:

Sailing seriously requires some guts though; when it's blowing 40 knots and you're in a tiny boat by yourself, well, it separates the boys from the men.

Dude, Sir Peter Blake is only one of the greatest yachtsmen of all time. He absolutely OWNED the Whitbread Round the World Race, and led New Zealand to two successive America's Cup victories (making us the first country outside the US to successfully defend the Cup in its ~150 year history). He was murdered by pirates on the Amazon in 2001. What a huge fucking blow that was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Blake_(yachtsman)

Wow, Docklands?! That's just ... weird. At least your school offered sailing. The closest my school got was swimming! :lol: I don't know of any Gold Coast schools that offered sailing events.

And yeah, my father used to sail competitively. Got caught in wild weather on Cook Strait (between the North and South Islands) a couple of times. His stories of that are pretty hairy. Takes shitloads of guts.

Axver said:

Dude, Sir Peter Blake is only one of the greatest yachtsmen of all time. He absolutely OWNED the Whitbread Round the World Race, and led New Zealand to two successive America's Cup victories (making us the first country outside the US to successfully defend the Cup in its ~150 year history). He was murdered by pirates on the Amazon in 2001. What a huge fucking blow that was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Blake_(yachtsman)

Wow, Docklands?! That's just ... weird. At least your school offered sailing. The closest my school got was swimming! :lol: I don't know of any Gold Coast schools that offered sailing events.

And yeah, my father used to sail competitively. Got caught in wild weather on Cook Strait (between the North and South Islands) a couple of times. His stories of that are pretty hairy. Takes shitloads of guts.

Ever heard of teams racing? 6 boats, three-on-three around a course, using anything and everything possible within the rules to win. It's INSANE.

COBL_04 said:
Hey axver, youre a cricket fan... i thought pietersen was an attacking batsman? his strike rates in this series have been deplorable.

horrible day for the sheep shaggers as well.

Oh non-existent God, what a fucking awful series this has turned out to be. After owning the Poms in the first Test ... I just can't explain what's happened now. The English team is terrible and we're clearly the better side, but we're letting them walk all over us.

All we can hope for now is to somehow drag this third Test out to a draw. Force the Poms to bat through tomorrow and then just keep our shit together on the fifth day.

major_panic said:

Ever heard of teams racing? 6 boats, three-on-three around a course, using anything and everything possible within the rules to win. It's INSANE.

That sounds fucking cool. And, yes, insane.

COBL_04 said:

sorry.

could help myself.

nah in all seriousness i think you guys looked alright actually, i have you in my eight. i dont know why everyone else thinks theyre going down the shitter.

Priddis :drool:

Whens Nicoski back??

And on the not supporting home town teams in the AFL... its a point I actually agree with inte on. It's because tradition has been lost... Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, etc all formerly had hoem grounds, but are now, apart from Geelong, all playing at either the MCG or Telstra Dome. There's no individuality.

Oh, you rotter! :tsk:

:wink:

Yeah, I think we'll be in the top 6 at least, hopefully. To early to tell, though. One thing's for sure though, our team was never just Cousins and Judd, and so it's annoying that we've been written off so much.

Priddis is awesome... as for Nickoski, he's fine, wasn't injured so much as a lack of confidence. He played well.

And you're completely right on the last paragraph there.

COBL_04 said:
whats southee bowl?? killed it in the first innnings, cant buy a wicket in the seocnd...

I think this second innings is painful for all concerned.

How about what Sidearse did to us in our first innings! Fuuuck. Seven-for!

Axver said:

That sounds fucking cool. And, yes, insane.

The screams! The rules! The shouting! The ducking and frantic manoeuvres! The tactics! The psychology! THE CRASHES!

It's a man's life at sea... Although there were some girls who were really, really good at it.

Sailing :drool:

The Sad Punk said:

Oh, you rotter! :tsk:

:wink:

Yeah, I think we'll be in the top 6 at least, hopefully. To early to tell, though. One thing's for sure though, our team was never just Cousins and Judd, and so it's annoying that we've been written off so much.

Priddis is awesome... as for Nickoski, he's fine, wasn't injured so much as a lack of confidence. He played well.

And you're completely right on the last paragraph there.

Top six is certianly not a pipe dream, though I will miss Cousins.

soory all, but im going to bed!

COBL_04 said:

This really fucking shits me. I think it is absolutely RIDICULOUS that a team can play two consecutive games at the G, and one of them is a home game and another's away. How is it even possible to play an away game at your home ground?!

What's amazing is that if I remember the schedule correctly, Collingwood only has to travel out of Melbourne ONCE this season. Talk about a huge unfair advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom