Bad Sydney Morning Herald U2 Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to take this seriously for a moment:

Who the fuck cares? It's their opinion. It's not unfair at all to say the album isn't good. They can say whatever they want. Why should I care? Why should I be offended? So long as what they're saying isn't actually a lie, there's nothing wrong with what they're doing. If I were to e-mail them, they'd call me a crazy U2 fan who's got blinders on.

And you know what? They'd be right, 'cause the only way you're e-mailing a newspaper to tell them a review is unfair is if you're a crazy fan who's got blinders on.

I enjoy listening to U2's music. I enjoy NLOTH. Assuming U2 can continue to make albums of NLOTH's quality in the years to come, it can only be a good thing for U2 to continue on. Well, for me anyway. And since this topic relates to the subjective art of music, my opinion is the only one that matters.

Same types of reviews that were written durring the POP time period. Its like Deja vu.

I met my cousin's boyfriend on the weekend. He's Irish. Can't stand U2. Thinks they're the worst band in the world. But you didn't see me starting a thread about it :shrug:

I've never been to Sydney, mate, but I think you could use with a bit of sightseeing

Wish someone could write an article like this about Ac/Dc or some hack dinosaur "artist" who seem to be going on forever...

What about the Stones who genuinely stand for nothing.

Who is this Harris wanker anyway, sounds like one of the anti-U2 lobby. Doesn't mention bugger all about the music on NLOTH. Obviously has a problem or a prejudice with Bono for some reason. Someone who can't hack the fact that U2 and Bono have contributed more to the well-being of society than most politicans.

U2 had nothing to do with Britain's New Labour anyway, Noel Gallagher did at first and then realised how crap they were. U2 always have been beyond all talk no walk clowns lke Bliar and most political parties.

Bollocks article.

there's always gotta be somebody writting a review who's suffering from tall poppy syndrome. :wave:

U2 could have been more graceful in their 40's when it comes to their public image.
They've all but begged to be beaten up.
And now people are beating them up.

Evidently U2 didn't and still doesn't care. Why should any of us?

I've been reading crap like this about U2 for over 2o years. The papers were full of this rubbish when Achtung Baby was released!!

stupid article - have seen this from another source, so its basically a copy & paste. it's come from the so called flop of magnificent on the charts. at the end of the day most of the nloth album is not aimed at the commercial, one hit wonder world - it's music that has been written from scratch from the worlds most talented band. as far as live concerts go u2 crush anything else which speaks for itself. Also i think that alot of u2's best material is the least commercial stuff....

If only U2 didn't have the biggest album of the year in the world so far; then me might actually have a point. :tsk:

Just to take this seriously for a moment:

And you know what? They'd be right, 'cause the only way you're e-mailing a newspaper to tell them a review is unfair is if you're a crazy fan who's got blinders on.

I disagree.

First, this author gets to spew forth his opinion to the masses. Isn't a reader then entitled to counter? Does one have to be a "crazy fan" in order to disagree? Does one have to be a "hater" to not enjoy the album?

If NLOTH was another version of ATYCLB, I would agree. It's not. In fact, I feel it's the most adventurous U2 have been in over a decade. I further feel that it has some of U2's best work since the 80's and early 90's.

Additionally, when I listen to music, whether it's the coined sound of the Jonas Brothers, the lullaby rock of Coldplay, the stolen riffs of Beyonce, the mimicry of others by Justin Timberlake, the regurgitation of Eminem, the boredom of Kelly Clarkson, or the countless rock bands that sound just like U2, I am hard-pressed to look at NLOTH and say that U2 have "lost their edge". When that album is viewed with other popular acts today, it leaps out as fresh, not stale. Hence, the author's comments do come across as more of a "hater" rather than a true evaluation of the work.

But perhaps this is just a view of a "crazy fan" who has no right expressing his views of why NLOTH is indeed a sound album. We should definitely agree with all negative reviews, regardless of whether they are sound comments or not, because "who cares".

stupid article - have seen this from another source, so its basically a copy & paste. it's come from the so called flop of magnificent on the charts. at the end of the day most of the nloth album is not aimed at the commercial, one hit wonder world - it's music that has been written from scratch from the worlds most talented band. as far as live concerts go u2 crush anything else which speaks for itself. Also i think that alot of u2's best material is the least commercial stuff....

It is disappointing that "Magnificent" didn't become a hit. I was positive this would be at least a moderate hit for U2. It's catchy, yet soaring. It has the classic U2 sound, but in an updated style (with the drum machines and disco beat). Yet, for some reason, it just didn't catch on.

But then, I want people to take a good look at music sales. Kelly Clarkson sold tons of her first single via downloads. Her album has sold about half of what U2's has and hasn't done well at all worldwide. Flo Rida and Eminem have had monster singles. Flo Rida's album flew down the charts and Eminem, while seeing the strongest first week sales of the year, still sold less worldwide than U2 did in their respective first weeks.

This means one thing: people are buying "throw-away music". They'll spend 99 cents on a song. It's fast and easy. Don't like it in a month? No big deal - it was only 99 cents. They are buying the song more than the artist. It's almost impulse buying.

U2 are an album band. While they have had their share of hits, some of U2's classics never made it to the Top 40 or were even released as singles. Despite NLOTH not producing any real hit songs, NLOTH is the top selling album so far in 2009.

Could U2 have sold more with "Magnificent" as a lead single? Maybe. Sometimes U2's risks work ("Vertigo") and sometimes they don't ("Discotheque"). This could be another situation, like with "Pop", where the lead single negatively influenced the album. It's a shame though as NLOTH is a truly great album. U2 also could have sold more with a holiday release. Holiday sales probably would have NLOTH up at least another million - maybe two million - units worldwide.

Still, even with holiday sales, overall music sales are down. People will buy a song, not the album, not the artist.

I guess if U2 want to stay super-relevant, their next goal is to produce another ultra-catchy sure thing hit that will get 2M downloads on iTunes.

While that's fine, I'd rather have a bluesy, more experimental album like NLOTH.

Why does he keep going on about politics? I get fed up with politics because we have to vote for the European elections today. I can't listen to my favourite talk radio station because of some oaf banging on about the Labour party.

So this guy hasn't liked the band's message in their music since 1988. Big deal. He doesn't have to listen to them does he? I don't like Simply Red, so I don't listen to their music and neither do I voice my opinions about them in newspapers.

Magnificent is everything but catchy or soaring. Many people that I've heard say that this song lacks catchy hooks. A hook is something that gets stuck in your head after just a few listens. Vertigo had that with its "Hello Hello" hooks, but Magnificent doesn't. It lacks the soaring chorus that Beautiful Day had. In fact the whole albums lacks any big hooks, soaring choruses or huge glorious melodies that Bomb had. The type of melodies that are so obvious that feel like a blazing hot hair dryer in your face. It didn't surprise me one little bit that Magnificent wasn't a hit. In fact I can't think of any other track that is catchy or melodic enough to become a hit. I don't think some people understand what makes for a catchy melodic tune. The public don't like subtlety, they like accessible tunes. This is why I say U2 must've known this and that's why the album is targeted more towards a niche market.

GYOB was the best track on the album and it's the only obvious single. Besides it makes no difference what the lead single on the album because the fanbase will buy the album in the first few weeks no matter what the first single is. NLOTH got to number one in many countries and sold thousands, so some people must've liked Boots enough to get the album. Whilst as the band keep on releasing new songs as singles of the album, as the public here more of these songs they decide to buy the album. I wasn't a particuarly big fan when ATYCLB was out and I didn't buy it a few weeks after Elevation was released. I warmed to SIAMYCGOO and I liked BD so I thought I'd buy it. With HTDAAB each time a new single was released of it the album sold more each time and it went up the charts. People thought to themselves:

"MMmm. I like this new single by U2. In fact I liked SYCMIOYO and I also liked Vertigo. Next time I head into town to get me spuds and some cat food with its delicious meaty chunks in jelly, I'm going to get me this latest U2 album."

With ATYCLB I can't listen to it all the way through because it starts of well but then it gets tiresome. I can't even listen to NLOTH.

And Vertigo was not a risk, it was a safe option whilst Discotheque was a risk. You got that the wrong way around. Plus NLOTH doesn't sound very bluesy to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom