Automatic For The People: revisiting a haunting masterpiece.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadsOnSticks

New Yorker
I just started spinning this album again after a long drought. I forgot how epic it really is. Michael Stipe at his most fluent, coherent, and direct. The harmonies the band create just seem to wash over me. Absolutely beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Absolutely......... R.E.M.

Just wanted to share.

not quite as good as Out of Time IMO but still one of my fave albums ever

the last 3 songs might be my fave 3 songs sequence by any artist though

Now you tell me!!

When I was in Brisbane on Saturday, at my fave 2nd hand CD shop, I also quickly went to the "R" section. No radiohead, as you would expect, but lots of REM. I just didn't know which one to choose.Plus I had already spent my money on the Eurythmics and Bjork...next time.:yes:

Yes, very good one.

I still prefer their first 2 albums, but this one probably is their best effort to date.

u2popmofo said:
Yes, very good one.

I still prefer their first 2 albums, but this one probably is their best effort to date.

agreed. it saddens me to think of how badly their new material blows. I really hope the new album is good.

HeadsOnSticks said:

agreed. it saddens me to think of how badly their new material blows. I really hope the new album is good.

I hear ya, Reveal was their first album I honestly flat out disliked. It has 3 or 4 good songs, the rest were as filler as filler gets.

I don't listen to it that often, due to the sad mood and some sad memories it brings back...but I still consider it the greatest album i've ever heard. Simply a masterpeice.

HeadsOnSticks said:
recording shite songs for the sake of fufilling your record contract = :down:

Ok, I swear I'm like one of 4 REM fans who genuinely loved Reveal. If I'm being honest, I'd say it's not their best album, but I like every song on it, and love the majority of them. It's not even close to being bad enough to accuse them of recording it just to fulfill their record contract.

But in any case, I agree about Automatic for the People being a masterpiece. Arguably the best piece of work from a band that has a nearly flawless catalog.

Such an incredible album. It was their Achtung Baby IMO. (Out of Time being their Joshua Tree) Haunting, beautiful, gorgeous.

I just listened again to Out of Time and Monster as well. Out of Time, minus a couple songs, is SO beautiful. I love it. Monster is just very cool and dirty and fun. Listening to it, it was cool cause you actually got the feeling that the band was having a great time recording those songs.

automatic for the people is my favorite rem album and in my top 5 all time favs. it's so beautiful and emotional and everything a great album should be.

i haven't bought reveal mainly cause besides imitation of life and to some extent reno i don't really care too much for the album. i'll eventually get it i suppose. :shrug:

i hope this album is great. every album after monster i have only liked a handful of songs off of each album. mind you those songs i really like and listen to regularly.

i can't wait to get the new album and for that matter the greatest hits.

and for the record i still think try not to breathe should have been on their instead of sidewinder. :madspit:

Last edited:
try not to breathe = :drool:

I will try not to breathe.
I can hold my head still with my hands at my knees.
These eyes are the eyes of the old, shiver and fold.

I will try not to breathe.
This decision is mine. I have lived a full life
and these are the eyes that I want you to remember. Oh.

I need something to fly over my grave again.
I need something to breathe.

I will try not to burden you.
I can hold these inside. I will hold my breath
until all these shivers subside,
just look in my eyes.

I will try not to worry you.
I have seen things that you will never see.
Leave it to memory me. I shudder to breathe.

I want you to remember. Oh. (you will never see)
I need something to fly (something to fly)
over my grave again. (you will never see)
I need something to breathe. (something to breathe)
Baby, don't shiver now.
Why do you shiver now? (I will see things you will never see)
over my grave again. (I will see things you will never see)
I need something to breathe. Oh. Oh. Oh.

I will try not to worry you.
I have seen things that you will never see.
Leave it to memory me. Don't dare me to breathe.

I want you to remember. Oh. (you will never see)
over my grave again. (you will never see)
I need something to breathe. (something to breathe)
Baby, don't shiver now.
Why do you shiver now? (I will see things you will never see)
I need something to breathe. (something to breathe - I have seen things
you will never see)
I want you to remember.

i know. i can't stop listening to it, either.

i agree that try not to breathe is a better song, but sidewinder is just so much fun. i remember last week around this time being lost on the strip trying to remember where thomas and mack was. on my way to see rem. sidewinder blasting, window down. singing at the top of my lungs, warm nevada wind in my hair.

yes.

I love this album in fact during some recent acoustic show my band did a cover of Try Not to Breathe.

I just found out recently that it was John Paul Jones who did a lot of the string arrangements.

And given the current political environment, Ignoreland is still very relevant.

CLASSIC

Just bought this album Saturday... have been listening to it almost nonstop (at least once a day)... I could listen to it all day. Amazing. (I've got to say now it's my other favourite album, next to Achtung Baby)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom