August 9 & 10 - Stadium Maksimir - Zagreb, Croatia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks vivaSA

Rough and ready translation of the above

Interview for selected media in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia and Serbia, for Universal Music, Music house which belongs to U2, made the 1st August 2009. journalists Tomislav Grujic and Kruno Petrinović. RadioSarajevo got the right to publish this interview, as well as photos on the tour occurred 360th

- The big pleasure to talk with you before you arrive in our region, specifically in Zagreb. What are your impressions of the tour so far? Whether it is in general more fun to go on tour?

BONO: Well, when everything is functioning properly it is fun but when you do not go according to plan, then definitely not. I speak with my point of view. When the vocals in good Mixu, when the equipment working properly, if at all bini functioning, if the audience is with you all the time and you are completely dedicated to them at that moment when you feel that you have all sailed into the songs, then there is no more beautiful feeling in the whole world. However, on the other hand, if something does not go as expected and if you can not communicate with people and talk to them how you feel, it is a real hell and just want to escape the house.

- When talking about the equipment, on this tour have a huge binsku construction. How much are you from the band in general were in creating it?

BONO: Frankly, I drew all this so that it looks like that. Then we worked on functionality and performance platforms on which sviraš to 360 degrees. It's very complicated to play in this variation of the stadiums because it is difficult to put all this too skupocijenu and technology, speakers, lights and so on. It is very difficult. But behold, I am drawn to, and then made the construction of the forks for dinner and then came the great genius Mark Fisher and the stage designer Willie Williams, who works with us for 25 years, and the two will be this idea and create something unbelievable.

- What is the connection between these platforms, which turns to 360 degrees and the name of their new album "No Line On The Horizon?

The Edge: There some great connections, but I think that the term "No Line On The Horizon" is a play of something infinite, a concept which has no borders. The point we tried to do during all these years is to remove the boundaries between us and the audience. So we as a band just came out, and crowds of people visiting concerts. This way the production system that we have made towards the center of the audience and thus removes the boundaries between the platforms and audiences. So that it that this has on a special level of very deep symbolism. It is practical and how Bono says, we just wanted to play in an environment where the audience is behind us in the same position as the audience in front of us. We did not ever like normal stadium performances, where we find the band at the end of the room in a box in front of us men are somewhere far away there, as in some outdated theaters. Essentially, like the fact that the fans of the band U2 events, or a large part of events. What happened to us the first night the tour in Barcelona is indescribable. The audience is completely oduvala its pressure. Night before we had a sound check on your own stadium, there is somewhere motalo few people, and it is randomly. Even close to the feel that you have when the audience is there. When the audience is there and when they give all of himself, then did a complete special atmosphere. We are only part of what happens to U2 concerts.

- The entire region is very excited for your concert in Zagreb. Question for Larry and Adam's. Have you ever been to Croatia?

LARRY: I really did not ever.
ADAM: I am neither.
BONO: I am E! For years I motao in Croatia.
The Edge: One wonderful thing related to tour and play concerts by this that you have a chance to visit new places. Get a list of concerts that we need to play and the first thing I look with excitement is what the new place where so far we have played. So always look to play in new places.

-Bono, whether these are still valid Bosnian passport?

BONO: I still have that passport and have to tell me that this is something most that I got was that the awards for the band or for my work during these years. When the job in question and showing Bosnian passport on the borders, I am not sure that it can. Once I have used to come to the Sarajevo Film Festival but has not been long since ovjeravan.

- Your concert at the stadium Koševo in Sarajevo in 1997. year was something special all Bosancima and other people from the region at the time came. What memories you wearing for that period?

LARRY: It will certainly go into the history of special moments that we conducted for obvious reasons. I was most memorable, the rest is that this concert was transmitted directly through a radio station and in a moment's Bono lost his voice. The entire concert to the end of the songs the audience. How is the Edge said earlier, the band is a significant part of the concert, but the audience that we carry.

BONO: I remember that we discussed about the concert in Sarajevo, and thought that if we play there, then we have to drag the complete equipment we had and all the other concerts POPMART tour, and we know that this would be very complicated. Some people in the organization have told us that a local team that will work on the production does not have any experience regarding the mounting of all, they said it will be complicated, impossible, incredibly expensive and asked us why not do a concert with only half the equipment. Quite correctly, we told them that people in Sarajevo deserve to see the best concert. We had one huge lemon that looked like a spaceship, a huge screen and things like that, and I remember that, first of all, it was the fastest set up the scenes and that the local team that worked on putting the best scene on the entire tour, which is very interesting. Another thing, which we expect no way is that after the concert, no one mentioned the scenography, the giant stage with the lemon (laughter). As to people in general have not noticed, and we remained confused with the question: we have it all and nobody dovukla nothing!? And really, what was that all acquired a spiritual level, pure musical emotional level. Although it was the perfect setting for the largest stadium, no one noticed. It was like: "Yes, the lemon, so what ... we viđali before lemon like a spaceship. Big screen ... no matter daaaj. But the rock band that his music connects people, it's already something. "It was in some way funny, because I did not expect such a reaction.

LARRY: Yes. I heard some interesting stories of our team members who drove trucks and how they passed through small villages, and people are out of their homes and applauded. News to me we have spread throughout the country. After the concert, people are using this event as a historical point at which the later rule as a question: "Is it either before or after the U2 concert?" It is to them as a reminder.
To me, it's so much meant, as well as the rest of the team.

- Bono, whether we can say something more about your cooperation with Bosnia's Danis Tanovic oskarovcem? As we know, Radić film according to your story.

BONO: I think the Danis made something best, something that I could be ranked among top 10 war films, and yet is full of black humor that is typical for this region. He is incredibly talented film maker. Irish writer Barry Devlin and I are working on a story "The Virgin of Las Vegas and we spoke with Danis on the involvement of the film. We hope that you will accept and do. There are a lot of interested people for the project as Liam Neeson ... This is a great project. I think, is interesting. Wherever in a region shall develop sranja, where the big problems, take great songs and great books. That's the same in Ireland. Culture has become very important. For instance, Sarajevo Film Festival has gained an international reputation. It's like, when you find the situation that protiviš physical world, that protiviš wall, the fantasy world becomes very important. I am very excited not only because of Danis Tanovic but because of all the people who are interested in film, writing, music coming from that region. In Ireland there are four provinces, and we are very different. Perplexedly us to find a way to unite as a nation. Very important thinker in our lives is a man who is named Richard Carney, a philosopher who came to the idea of a fifth province. He said that Ireland does not have four provinces have five, and five provinces is envisaged in the provinces which we odlazimo when all the physical obstacles disappear when we live in a world of imagination. Another thing related to Ireland and our problem is around the south and the north is that when the south of Ireland near Europe and the north of Ireland is near Europe, then we become each other close again, and this should prove correct. Europe is a very interesting way to operate. However, the problem with Europe at this moment is that it is very cold, cold concept intellectual ideas that can hardly be imagined. I would like to see the importance of the role of the Western Balkans countries into European Union, when you enter in Europe, what you feel to Europe. Europe is not finished the job. Essentially you can witness the fact that Europe has yet to arise out of our sleep on the concept of emotional, cultural concept.

- Adam, whether we can say that was a key moment for the band's career?

ADAM: There are many key things. She was a series of some of these concerts such as Live Aid, a concert in Sarajevo concert after the 11th September, playing at the inauguration Obaminoj ... I mean, are all big, important and beautiful moments, but I am not sure that key. For instance, the album "Joshua Tree" was the turning point of law, singles "With Or Without You" became popular, and then Time magazine cover. But still there are many things.

- Whether it was the situation when the band was before the breakup?

LARRY: I think it was 15 minutes (laughter).
ADAM: I think that I am not exactly the best person to answer this question because I have very little memory. Difficult to remember anything that happened last year.
The Edge: Well we always we want to raziđu because the best part of the split-up assembling again.

- Do you have some plans for the future when you're more able to deal music?

LARRY: Absolutely. Bono had a job at the gas pumps.
BONO: Yes, I worked at the gas pumps.
LARRY: Edge wanted to be a teacher, Adam had a florist, and I wanted to become fireman.
EDGE: We are currently out as unemployed, and that is why they still have this band. When you think about at some alternative forms, understand them and not have much and we would be very difficult.

- Do you remember your first race? When it was and how much was there the audience?

LARRY: Depends. Before we become U2, we had a school band, we played in the school. That, as I remember. As U2 first time we played in place of Limerick in Southern Ireland. It was to a contest where we played three of our songs and we.
BONO: I still remember when we played in school holu, and I remember that feeling.

- It was an afternoon performance?

BONO: Yes, it was like a performance talents. We have played this song Peter Frampton, who was the big star of the seventies, the song called "Show Me The Way". This is definitely something special but I do not know what. It was some hemija between us even then. Being honest, so I will say that we were the band and then when we did not know to play.

- Let the official story is that Larry was appointed to the school bulletin board poster on which was written to be looking for musicians. Is it ever any discussion between you, who formed the band?

BONO: Sorry, it was a Larry. I say unfortunately, because we constantly reminds us that he gathered. It was a definitely a Larry-eva ideas and we even had one time called The Larry Mullen Band, which we stick in some way besieged and davalo indication which direction would you go. I think that at that time was still a band that wore Larry lo-name, as The Fat Larry band playing disco music of the seventies (laughter).
ADAM: An interesting thing is that none of the other musicians is not reported on his ad, so we powered up (laughter).
BONO: That's right. That's why I just said that we had a band and before we learned to play, and only knew Larry was playing while the Edge knew only "Stairway To Heaven."

- Well, you are not only musicians but also activists. Can you tell us what's happening behind closed doors when they find with politicians?

BONO: Oh ... It's important to know that behind you have the intellectual background and that you stand behind the organization, especially if you're a singer of a band that also keeps speaking against the extremes. The idea that you fight at your own risk just because you think it's very bad that in Africa people are dying of hunger does not sound so good. So some people think but it essentially is not the case. We are very well organized, we have strategic plans, and collaborated with a lot of non-governmental organizations and groups in order to fulfill our intentions to the end and so complicated the desire of politicians to hinder us in the work. When you have with yourself plenty of people, as we have in one campaign had 2.5 million people in America, then do politicians nervous because you have the right support that you give a political force. Something similar is now trying to do in Europe, to create a campaign and so we ask all interested to be told. Just to note that we do not go into action with a half isplaniranih things but with all the ready.

- What is the biggest award, achievement, knowledge, something that I was completely fulfilled in her career with the band?

LARRY: The requirement that a certain dose to shock for this short ... err, pardon, long time (laughter). Indeed, the greatest reward for us is to go out and play before audiences that may be your year, some are older and some younger and a lot. So how koračam still, so our music remains generations behind us. This is the right state of the art to which I am very proud.
ADAM: I think that I finally understood fully instrument playing, and now I know something about him. I took me a long time but lo, I come to that stage.
The Edge: To me this is something that is called life's work with people and band members who make you feel better in the work you're. In the sense that the whole is better than only one part. That's why I think that is a great privilege to be part of this band. There is absolutely nothing that I can do better than I what I can do as part of the band.
BONO: My greatest knowledge, if you ask me to, is a bit cheesy and that is: the power we had in the period when we did not know what we do. That our former work was pretty awkward and tense in some way, but it was very powerful because we were honest. We did not know anything about the world, but then grow up and want to know everything. Go to the world and otkriješ that it is in fact the biggest obstacle essentially your innocence because you are then able to see things from different perspectives. This is the greatest knowledge of me, which in practice means - even if you learned to throw makes, you can not do it without magic.

I think the most enlightening part is when Bono declares "But behold, I am drawn to, and then made the construction of the forks for dinner" - definitely a new Bono soundbite!

But seriously, interesting to hear Bono is working on a new film project with Liam Neeson called The Virgin of Las Vegas.

Anyone in Zagreb seen the claw yet? It is supposed to rise 25m above the highest seats. Any pictures available of it in Maksimir?

Btw, thanks for the translation :)

Sounds like Bono is very much aware of the technical glitches that have been a frequent part of the tour so far.

is someone a registered member there, because mbconline there said more photos from zagreb,but i can't see the link since i'm not a member

aaaa....first four pics are mine...

here are some other from today around midnight (is where the day begins) :drool:

u2360zagreb007.jpg

By desertsky at 2009-08-06

u2360zagreb014.jpg

u2360zagreb017.jpg

u2360zagreb021.jpg

u2360zagreb027.jpg

Wow, can you see it from outside the stadium? :ohmy:

Question: Does anyone know which entrances are for GA and where they are located? And how many of them are there? Any instructions? Any reports about when the gates will be opened and if all GA gates will be opened at the same time?

Ok, we're leaving tomorrow morning by train. I have bought white balloons and hope the flasmop will work. I also plan to take the camera with me for the first night. It's only a canon digicam and I had it with me for several other concerts, so it shouldn't be a problem. I hope we find some nice bars/pubs to eat and drink and maybe meet a couple of other fans. We'll go to both shows and stay in the city center. Everyone going, have a good and safe trip. Can't wait for the shows :drool:

The show was extraordinary! Also the selection of songs!

However, our hosts Croatians deserve censure regarding their "famous hospitality":
- at a caffee near stadium, coffee wasn't served to us (although we sat at a table with an empty coffee cup :huh:)
-not at this concert, though but worth mentioning: beers being served simultaneously at a German and a Slovenian table: the former received ice-cold stuff while the latter room-temperature beverage almost impossible to drink
- some rather annoying local collecting empty bottles was bugging us about our infamous border issue-- was mentioning some guns pointing to heads and some really "nice" stuff.. really proud of it :huh:
- on the stadium, beers being spilled due to pushing and shoving - again lucky, person pushing and being spilled next to was local, and again the similar story as above.

But let's be proud, no incidents whatsoever!

And Bono, don't kiss ass to them!

However, our hosts Croatians deserve censure regarding their "famous hospitality":
- at a caffee near stadium, coffee wasn't served to us (although we sat at a table with an empty coffee cup :huh:)
-not at this concert, though but worth mentioning: beers being served simultaneously at a German and a Slovenian table: the former received ice-cold stuff while the latter room-temperature beverage almost impossible to drink
- some rather annoying local collecting empty bottles was bugging us about our infamous border issue-- was mentioning some guns pointing to heads and some really "nice" stuff.. really proud of it :huh:
- on the stadium, beers being spilled due to pushing and shoving - again lucky, person pushing and being spilled next to was local, and again the similar story as above.

Oh, and Croatia is exclusive for people shoving and pushing during a concert? :lol:
I'm from Zagreb and I got during the concert a warm beer... too bad I'm not from Slovenia so I can throw out some baseless accusations.
I'm truly sorry you had that experience with some locals, there are assholes everywhere. But this generalization and pitiful misinterpretation should take place on a local redneck political forum and not on a U2 one, since I bet most of the guys here are completely against this kind of grading.

To all the Slovenian, Croatian, Italian, Austrian and Spanish guys I met during the gig, I'm happy you had a great time. Hopefully we'll see you again sometime on a U2 concert.

I met two Croats at the metro stop at the train station who insisted on taking me to my hotel (which was beyond their place) just out of generosity towards a foreign visitor, which was really lovely.

I'm sorry but your complaints are ridiculous, especially the ones about fans' behaviour at the show. That's not charasteristic Croatian, it can happen everywhere. Sometimes you have bad luck with the people you're standing next to. At a concert, people do push and shove. If you don't like it, you have to take seats.
I thought both Zagreb shows were among the most relaxing ones I've ever experienced. Berlin was much, much worse and people were aggressive.
I've met some really nice people in Zagreb and also a lot of people from my country. Of course there were some rude and drunk people, too, like there are/were at every show.
I'm sorry you had bad experiences, but I think you shouldn't generalize like that.
And saying Bono is "ass kissing" because he likes the country is a bit ridiculous, too. In fact, Bono is saying nice things about every country he's in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom