August 9 & 10 - Stadium Maksimir - Zagreb, Croatia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anybody be interested in sharing the hiring of a car to drive from Katowice (Chorzow) to Zagreb?

I don't drive but I'm a world-class navigator :)

It's only 338 miles and we'd have from 07 August until 09 August to cover it. We could have a night or two in Vienna too. I haven't been to Vienna before but apparently it's beautiful - and Midge Ure wrote a song about it so it must be good :)

Or Budapest could be a possibility too.

Any takers?

PS I'll add this post to the Chorzow thread too ...

We're going to Zagreb from Vienna by train on 8 August, the trip takes us 6 hours and costs only 29 euro one way. We already have the tickets. Just a little information in case someone is thinking of going from Vienna by train. It's a direct train connection via Hungary, the train leaves Vienna at 7.25 in the morning and arrives in Zagreb around noon, so there is some time for sightseeing and preparing for the concert.

Did you buy the €29 ticket on the internet?

I'm getting quoted £61 by Rail Europe. And they don't list the 7.25 am train - although I'm searching for the 07 August cos you can't search for the 08 August until tomorrow on that site.

No, I bought it at the station here in Vienna, I don't know if it's available through the internet. Train leaves Vienna at 7.26 and arrives in Zagreb at 1.33 p. m. There are some other connections as well, but all of them take a bit longer and I don't know the prices.

Looking for accomodation for 3 persons for 9th night

there was a press conference held today.... you can buy tickets at Ticketpro - Vaša ulaznica u svijet zabave starting from march 27th

and supporting act is supposed to be snow patrol, which is awesome! 2 concerts I wish to see in one :)

I'm from Zagreb and if anyone needs some info on accomodation or anything else...feel free to post here or PM me

see you there!!

Dear Ruicosta,

I would be interested in accomodation near the Stadium for 1 night at 9th August - for 3 persons. If You could send me any contact You reccomend to stay at I would really appreciate that. Thanks for Your help in advance.

Best regards,
Zsuzsanna from Hungary

No, I bought it at the station here in Vienna, I don't know if it's available through the internet. Train leaves Vienna at 7.26 and arrives in Zagreb at 1.33 p. m. There are some other connections as well, but all of them take a bit longer and I don't know the prices.

Yes, I see that train listed on the Polish train schedule website, but I can't book it online. I'm hoping Rail Europe can help when I call them tomorrow.

We're looking to catch the overnight train from Katowice to Vienna departing late Friday 7 August, then connecting with Last Unicorn's train on Saturday morning en route to Zagreb.

Will post here what happens...

Dear Ruicosta,

I would be interested in accomodation near the Stadium for 1 night at 9th August - for 3 persons. If You could send me any contact You reccomend to stay at I would really appreciate that. Thanks for Your help in advance.

Best regards,
Zsuzsanna from Hungary

Zrajna,

this is the closest Hostel to Maksimir stadium:
Ravnice Youth Hostel - Zagreb - Croatia

If you would like to stay in Hostel and not Hotel. If you prefer hotels tell me and I will find something for you.
But also - wherever you stay it shold be easy to get to Maksimir stadium. So if you find something in the city centre that would be ok to.

This is one cheap hotel (I think the cheapest in the city center) and from there you just take tram No.4. and it takes you directly to stadium (cc. 30min). it's not really cheap...
HOTEL CENTRAL, ZAGREB, CROATIA

Hi Marko

Do you know where the Hotel Nas Dom is? Is it really far from the centre? How far is it from Maksimir stadium?

It's outside of the city center but quite close to stadum. I think that you'll need maybe 3 stops with tram to get there

On this page you can see a bad map of location, but you can see a figure of a football player and that is maksimir stadium
Hotel Naš Dom Zagreb Croatia - Location

Rang Rail Europe today, waited on hold for 90 minutes before I finally gave up.

Their repeating voicemail warned that they charge an additional $33 for bookings over the phone, what a fucking ripoff. Why is it so difficult and expensive to travel from Katowice to Zagreb?? I can't wait for Europe to become one giant country someday :wink:

Now I'm thinking of chucking it all and begging for a ride with U2's roadies instead...

Hi Marko,

thanks for the info, I am rather interested in hotels. Any reccomendation on hotels?

Thanks
Zsuzsanna

Right, so booking a train from Chorzow to Zagreb via Rail Europe is a hopeless ripoff, lots of posts on traveller websites deriding Rail Europe's poor service and bullshit fees.

Bus looks like the best bet at this point:

Eurolines Poland - Europe's Express Coach Network

Overnight bus to Vienna is only USD$36

Can catch the train a couple of hours later to Zagreb for another $35. Makes for a long trek, but very affordable and no hassles with renting a car or riding with strangers.

Will probably wait until we get to Katowice before booking anything. If the sleeper train still has affordable space, we'll go that route, with this bus company as a back up, and other U2 fans driving down as a further back up.

sorry guys, I have been away from my computer for a while and couldn't respond! Looking forward to your arrivals this summer! If you need anything, I promise I'll be a regular on the forum from now on :)

also I have 3 extra tickets for 10th, if anyone needs them

It's outside of the city center but quite close to stadum. I think that you'll need maybe 3 stops with tram to get there

On this page you can see a bad map of location, but you can see a figure of a football player and that is maksimir stadium
Hotel Naš Dom Zagreb Croatia - Location

Thanks a million Marko. I've a reservation there for 9 - 11 August and wasn't sure whether to keep it or cancel it. I'm gonna keep it. Hope I get a chance to buy ya a beer in Zagreb!

Thanks a million Marko. I've a reservation there for 9 - 11 August and wasn't sure whether to keep it or cancel it. I'm gonna keep it. Hope I get a chance to buy ya a beer in Zagreb!

Man, I would like to meet all of you who are coming to Zagreb from this forum. Beer or no beer :)
But somehow I'm afraid that I'll have no chance, at least on the tenth...I have around 30 friends and we are going together to the gig...it will be a busy day :)

but on the ninth - that's possible..maybe...where are you on the tenth? GA, stands...?

Bus looks like the best bet at this point:

Eurolines Poland - Europe's Express Coach Network

Overnight bus to Vienna is only USD$36

Six hours to drive 186 miles ... And it arrives at 5am. Hotels will charge you for the previous night's stay if you arrive that early.

I think I might use the train but try to get my chum in Gliwice to buy the ticket there for me. I'll let you know how much it is when I find out.

I think I'd prefer to spend two nights in Vienna so I could have a full day there to see the city. I could then head down to Zagreb on the 9th August on the morning train, check into my hotel and go to the stadium for the gig as I'm not doing GA, and my hotel seems reasonably close to the stadium.

Six hours to drive 186 miles ...

Yeah, the trains and buses from Katowice to Vienna are the slowest in the world... must be a lot of snowy mountain passes to cross

I'm starting to hope we can simply hitch a ride with other U2 fans we meet at Chorzow. There have to be more than us three nuts heading in the same direction.

Yeah, the trains and buses from Katowice to Vienna are the slowest in the world... must be a lot of snowy mountain passes to cross

I'm starting to hope we can simply hitch a ride with other U2 fans we meet at Chorzow. There have to be more than us three nuts heading in the same direction.

There must be loads of Polish, Croatian, German and other central European fans doing the same journey, but I guess they're not on Interference.

I had a look at online quotes for car hire from Katowice to Zagreb and they were extortionate, over $1000!

The cheapest and most direct solution would be to find a Polish fan who will be travelling back to Poland after Zagreb 2 so we could share a car hire with the same pick-up and drop-off point.

Zagreb coreography

We would like to inform all those who managed to obtain a ticket and be attended by U2 concert date 10.08.2009. that during the concert, planned performance choreographed welcome as an expression of the band U2 in Croatia, in which, that it was successfully submitted, and you must participate.

Namely, the idea is to make Irish flag over the stadium so that everyone carries with him a balloon.It is that all those who are on the west panel/stand take a green balloon, those who are going to the north and south panel/stand and pitch bring the white balloon, and those who go on the east panel/stand took the orange balloon. Something before the band went out on stage fill your balloon (do not tie it) and hold in the air during the first song that will perform at the concert, at the end of this song just release your inflated balloon into the air. In this way the panels/stands take the color of Irish flags and will be achieved interesting sight of dismissal filled balloons into the air. We hope that you will participate in a planned and choreographed as to enable its successful execution. So, get your bubble now. "

Any additional information, visit: U2 Croatia - U2 News, U2 Forum, U2 Albums, U2 Lyrics, U2 Reviews, U2 Fansite

Nice idea, I'm going to both shows and since I have GA, I'll look for a white balloon. Or are balloons handed out?

Wouldn't it be better to do this in the middle of the show, not in the beginning? Because people are so excited in the beginning when the band comes on stage that they'll forget to participate. Fan actions like this one are always better in the middle of the concert. There were actions like that in Milan as well, there was a choreography, but it didn't work out fully, even though Bono was delighted when he saw the cards being held up in the stand. He even asked Willy to turn on the lights so he could see it better.

I wish you luck. :up:

ok, I'll carry one white balloon with me. I hope it's gonna work out so well as Polish flag

^ Take more than one! In Milan, most balloons bursted before the show even started. :lol:

Seriously, I still don't think doing this for the first song is a good idea. People will forget it, the excitement is too big and it won't work very well. Fan actions like these always work much better sometime in the middle of the concert.

hey guys! i need some help....
i'm a croatian girl living in new york....and i'm coming for vacation. i'm originally from rijeka so i have no clue how to get around in zagreb. i was thinking of getting a ticket to the show on sunday. i would take a bus up from rijeka but i just don't know what kind of transportation i could take to get me from the bus depot in zagreb to maksimir. is there a bus that regularly operates between the two locations? after the show, i was thinking of getting back to the bus depot and then taking the first bus back to rijeka. do any of you think that would be possible and smart in the middle of the night? :)
if any of you have any good ideas, please let me know! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom