Arcade Fire criticise U2 ( and some others...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMFG. run everyone, RRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't let the best that is the industry get you.
that's right people, stand up too to big bad music industry.
the sins of the industries deeds shall cause them all to burn in hell
PLEASE!!!!!! baby jesus help us.

Chizip said:

he is right, look at the album charts. you really think the top selling albums are the best music, or are they the best marketed music?

the top selling albums are mostly the albums the record companies are forcing down your throats.

Definitely, but the way he put it was sheer crap.

Some bands are just manipulating people to buy music.
(EG: the companies/artists have a gun to the head of the populous as a whole)

and

the idea of marketing the fuck out of something so people are forced to like it.

Both of these statements are wank. I liked the spirit of what he said, but it was indeed a rant, and some of these claims are ridiculous.

kingofsorrow said:
OMFG. run everyone, RRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't let the best that is the industry get you.

Much like some in this thread have completely exaggerated the whole situation, you have exaggerated my comment.

But hey, I also cannot resist the lure of sarcasm. So have a ball. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

Don't you know? Brau is right about everything! All the time! We would be lost without his infinite wisdom. :happy:
indeed, gg. clearly he's more elite than the so-called elitists, making him something really special.

corianderstem said:

Much like some in this thread have completely exaggerated the whole situation, you have exaggerated my comment.

But hey, I also cannot resist the lure of sarcasm. So have a ball. :up:

so stating things as they are is an exageration? is it my fault AC chose to talk shit after they cashed the royalty check? why didn't they say something before they got paid? i'll tell you why. they working they're own publicity stunt and using the name "U2" as free advert.

Last edited:
To be fair, corianderstem never once said that the music industry was a beast. There was no feeling of the artists being a victim there. The post was simply stating that if you dislike something, you should speak up, and it could possibly change.

(While I do think that the whole "let's cast of the shackles of not only the music industry, but marketing in general as well" idea is naive, I can't help but be a bit empowered by it, which is why I don't want to be too hard on Win Butler)

To Kingofsorrow: No, I was talking about your exaggerated sarcasm about the "big, evil music biz" but that's okay.

To LemonMelon: Thank you. That was indeed my point.

elevated_u2_fan said:

:yes:

I've been watching this thread off and on all evening. I just knew people would get their shorts in a knot and this thread would become great fun. Gotta love predictability. :lol:

corianderstem said:
To Kingofsorrow: No, I was talking about your exaggerated sarcasm about the "big, evil music biz" but that's okay.

To LemonMelon: Thank you. That was indeed my point.

you know what? i apologize if i came off as attacking you. that was not my intent. although i know i can be a bit off a drama queen. i just don't like listening to bands whine about the music industry after they've signed a contract and then went on to cash their royalty checks. it's bullshit. it would be like me coplaining about the evils of nicotene and alcohol, when i make my living by selling these products.
once again sorry for being a bastard.

indra said:

:yes:

I've been watching this thread off and on all evening. I just knew people would get their shorts in a knot and this thread would become great fun. Gotta love predictability. :lol:

Predictability??? U2 fans???? Neverrrr!!!!!! :shocked:

elevated_u2_fan said:

:shocked: Dude! You did not just use an Airplane! quote, did you?:bow:

But of course! I only quote the best! :sexywink:

kingofsorrow said:

AMEN!!!

:lmao:

:tsk:

He's on fire so much, you'd think he'd have learned "stop, drop and roll" somewhere along the line.

Allegra said:
Edge Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire
Edge Went Down, Down, Down
And The Flames Went Higher

And It Burns, Burns, Burns
The Ring Of Fire
The Ring Of Fire

:love: This song is great.

10552558981.jpeg

FIRE! FIRE!

GibsonGirl said:

Well, yeah, it goes without saying that having at least some exposure is good. Any publicity is good publicity. And sometimes too much publicity can be detrimental... I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there were people out there who normally would have bought HTDAAB if they'd simply heard Vertigo on the radio. But after having Bono practically screaming "BUY OUR NEW ALBUM AND OUR SNAZZY NEW IPOD!" from every television set in North America and beyond, some people might have been annoyed enough not to purchase HTDAAB.

I agree with that. Some people do get turned off by over exposure. I don't agree with what Butler said though

"There's nothing less interesting to me than the idea of marketing the fuck out of something so people are forced to like it. Some bands are just manipulating people to buy music. That's how 90 per cent of the record industry works! It's basically the same as selling a fucking toaster or a cruise package."

I'm sure he didn't intend to but He's actually dissing music fans more than U2. "Forcing people to Like it"? "Manipulating people to buy music"?

:down:
Are music fans idiots? Ive never bought an album I didn't want to.

I think Arcade Fire are a good band, but if they don't want to be a cog in the Marketing machine then they shouldn't do interviews. They shouldn't do videos. They shouldn't allow their songs to be part of arguably the most visable tour of the decade.

I couldn't care less that He's using U2 to get his point across. I just don't think his statement really makes any sense

:shrug:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
Hey, as long as those tee shirts are fireproof, which apparently they are. :wink:

I just hope it has built in deodorant too. :wink:

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Are music fans idiots?

if you look at the charts and see what the best selling shit is, yes, music fans are idiots

My Humps won a Grammy for fucks sake

i think Arcade Fire is on a higher creative and musically level at the moment as U2 has been over the last few years. so they have the right to critizise. U2 is a mega selling machine but unfortunately lacks of creativity for the last few years...
e.g. if you listen to the 'new' U2, Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol... it sounds all the same. this is boring. its kind of consolidation of musical powers.
and on the other hand having a real creative band like Arcade Fire is a refreshing breeze on the music market.
selling multi-million copies isn't always an attribute of quality.

jacobus said:
i think Arcade Fire is on a higher creative and musically level at the moment as U2 has been over the last few years. so they have the right to critizise. U2 is a mega selling machine but unfortunately lacks of creativity for the last few years...
e.g. if you listen to the 'new' U2, Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol... it sounds all the same. this is boring. its kind of consolidation of musical powers.
and on the other hand having a real creative band like Arcade Fire is a refreshing breeze on the music market.
selling multi-million copies isn't always an attribute of quality.

HOWEVER, Win was not critiquing U2's creative output, but instead the way they market their output, and frankly, IMO, Win is far too inexperienced in this area to criticize. He has never sold a million copies of anything, nor will he be able to if he follows his current philosophy for much longer. He has no idea what real success tastes like, so how could he possibly look down his nose at someone else for reveling in it?

I would have never heard of Arcade Fire if they hadn't opened for U2. That's where I heard their name. To be honest, I still don't know who they are. They basically got their exposure to a large audience from U2.
But I must say I can understand the guy's comments. For me, it's not a personal attack on the band. You may or may not agree with marketing strategies, but U2 have always been aggressive in that field. Now with CD sales declining it has become even more aggressive.
Personally, I don't care about the whole marketing issue. I think it's fine and they are smart to do it.

last unicorn said:
They basically got their exposure to a large audience from U2.

Umm, no. Not at all. (EDIT: Sorry, last unicorn, if you mean U2 gave Arcade Fire an exposure to A large audience then yes, of course, but if you mean Arcade Fire got their exposure to a large audience from U2, ie no U2, no exposure, then I disagree).

Anyway, the basic point of his is fine. It would be nice if a band didn't have to be a brand to gain 'success', however you define that in relation to music. It would be nice if it were the good that was universaly praised and consumed. If the cream rose to the top. Unfortunately thats not the case, and it's the loudest who do. That being the way it works, it means it's a personal choice as to whether you as an artist check into the game or not. Don't hate the player, hate the game and all that.

When it effects the music I get annoyed, but thats a different point all together, and one he didn't make.

Last edited:
I can't believe some people here are freaking out about these comments and how Win should be 'grateful' to U2 and never criticize them. What a load of crap! Like many others have said, he wasn't bashing U2 altogether, just making a point about their marketing strategies. I happen to agree with him, and I would be willing to bet that U2 won't have any problems with these comments. Bono has always been a big mouth himself, he has made tons of comments in the past that could be compared to this one, and I think he appreciates artists that speak their mind.

You can criticize people you respect and appreciate. It's allowed, and in fact commendable. I do it all the time. Arcade Fire has so far never done anything they don't feel like just for the sake of marketing themselves, so the very fact that they agreed to open for U2 in a big arena and have their song used on their tour means they like and respect U2. Their song Rebellion was used recently for a Red add at Bono's request, and on their website Win explains why he thinks it's a good cause and a good idea and they couldn't say no etc.

The fact is the reason why Arcade Fire is so hyped right now is strickly due to the sheer quality of their music. Everything went off through word of mouth at the beginning, and they are themselves taken aback by their own success. U2 is not the reason they are popular right now, although obviously they did give them a little push (so did many other artists). They genuinely do not like the whole business, marketing side of music today, and want to try as much as possible to concentrate on the music and not have people like them for the wrong reasons, which is why they don't do many interviews or marketing. I really respect that.

Of course Win's way of saying things is not exactly diplomatic or delicate, he just says what's on his mind in a very direct, un-rehearsed way, and he's like that on any subject. I absolutely love that in an artist (or in anyone for that matter). Actually, it reminds me very much of a young Bono.

So all of you accusing Arcade Fire of using U2 to market themselves, or being ungrateful, just chill out. And go buy Neon Bible when it comes out, it's fucking amazing. :up:

:corn: It's touching and naive to use the "yes, I will get on my own music alone" mentality. NO band can do it without at least some hype/marketing (Arcade Fire is getting it right about now, whether they like it or not and opening the shows for a band with such a large fanbase does help), no matter how good the music.

Industry is a big bad bully? Hardly a relevation, then again St Thom of Yorke said something similar about the industry a while ago. Stating the obvious is hardly "brave". Young bands these days have never had it so easy to make it than right now, so quit the "industry is the big bad wolf" speeches already. And since they're just about to upgrade in their fanbase and popularity, let's skip the "I don't like the business, woe is me" talk.

There is a way of saying "I don't like the way the music business works" without dropping any names. Make it universal, not personal. And saying people are "forced" to like something is just silly - no one put a gun to your head to buy an album.

I would like to see some quotes from young Bono comments resembling this one. He has spoken out against the way industry does business at the RoR Hall of fame, but not the marketing itself - which was more like a defense for the young bands speech than anti industry rant. He did talk about attacking the music on the charts, but again not anti marketing, and - minus Henry Rollins once or twice - he's never singled out anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom