Arcade Fire, a.k.a. The Reflektors.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't know whether to put this in the Arcade Fire thread or the Okkervil River thread but since this is more current, I'll put it here. Something a friend wrote on a blog.

(Shoutout to mofo.)

Okkervil River, “Down Down the Deep River”

I’m not totally sure what Arcade Fire is going for with their new songs, but whatever it is, it seems like Okkervil River is doing it a whole lot better on “Down Down the Deep River.” It’s an uptempo, anthemic dance epic with some Godzilla synth lines and about a dozen different percussive tricks, lyrics that swirl together childhood and adult angst, nostalgia and mystery, innocence and the dark curtain that slowly draws it back. There’s even enough dropping of the words “kid” and “kids” to make it a de facto Arcade Fire song, which is something I’ve never thought about Okkervil River despite some passing similarities between the emotionally strained singing of Will Sheff and Win Butler.

If there is anything on the new Arcade Fire album as layered and impactful as this song I will be pleasantly surprised.

(Also, I hope to write more about this song soon, and wrote more about Okkervil River here: The Jacket Pocket)

:lol:

Having said all that, I'm digging most of what I hear from the new album :drool:

Afterlife and Normal Person sound like they're worth the price of admission alone, so I'm banking on there being at least a few more good ones on there.

Didn't know whether to put this in the Arcade Fire thread or the Okkervil River thread but since this is more current, I'll put it here. Something a friend wrote on a blog.

(Shoutout to mofo.)

I’m not totally sure what Arcade Fire is going for with their new songs, but whatever it is, it seems like Okkervil River is doing it a whole lot better on “Down Down the Deep River.” It’s an uptempo, anthemic dance epic with some Godzilla synth lines and about a dozen different percussive tricks, lyrics that swirl together childhood and adult angst, nostalgia and mystery, innocence and the dark curtain that slowly draws it back. There’s even enough dropping of the words “kid” and “kids” to make it a de facto Arcade Fire song, which is something I’ve never thought about Okkervil River despite some passing similarities between the emotionally strained singing of Will Sheff and Win Butler.

If there is anything on the new Arcade Fire album as layered and impactful as this song I will be pleasantly surprised.

(Also, I hope to write more about this song soon, and wrote more about Okkervil River here: The Jacket Pocket)

Not a bad song.

Not to beat a dead horse...but I was at the Friday show (10 minute walk for me since I live in Bushwick - awesome!!!!) and was in a perfect spot to watch the show once they did the stage switch. In other words, no sour grapes...but I did and still maintain that it was not cool for them to do that IMO. People had been lining up since around 4 PM, they came on at around 9:30, and a whole bunch of people that had put in the effort to get close to the stage were now at the very back, with a lot of shit in the way. And there was a real stampede to move to the second stage once it became clear where they were, which, fortunately, did not result in any casualties. But it well could have. So, yeah, not cool.

I mean, imagine the ruckus that would break on this forum if U2 pulled a stunt like that.

I think that, like a lot of talented and famous people, Win is pretty full of himself and takes himself VERY seriously.

I do really like Afterlife, it's been stuck in my head, and the video is pretty damn dope. It has shades of Moment of Surrender (although if I had to compare, the latter is ultimately a superior song). This is one where the combination of AF and JM yielded greatness. The other songs I've heard from Reflektor, not so much. My 2c.

We have a leak! According to UKK anyway. Anyone have a download link??:drool:

Interesting. Has it leaked is pretty reliable, especially for such high profile releases.

A legit link showed up over there like 15 minutes ago, so I'm sure they'll update it soon.

Oh hot damn. I've listened to Afterlife numerous times today so I'm much in the mood for a leak.

Annnd Has It Leaked is updated. Now if only someone uploads it to the streaming sites.

"LemonMelon has exceeded their stored private messages quota...":crack:

Anyway, I'll wait for a better quality. The volume in the leak is sooooooo low :doh: and the last song seems to be 2 short.

My e-mail is going crazy telling me my PM box is full, lol.

Ah, it's ok. Thank you both for trying. I'm watching a movie anyways and then I need to get my 4 hours of sleep. It'll be up on Grooveshark by the time I get home tomorrow.

You should sleep. It's just an album. It'll be there tomorrow.

(Shoutout to mofo.)

Not a bad song, to be sure, but I don't hear an attempt at an "uptempo anthemic dance epic" at all, really. It certainly doesn't make me want to dance, and that doesn't take much for these dancin feet ;)...So I think AF is going to be already doing that much better, based on the few songs that have come out.

If your first listen to this is a shitty transcode rip, you're doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom