Arcade Fire, a.k.a. The Reflektors.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of all Win Butler’s myriad personality flaws and tics, his biggest one might be this: the dude can’t accept the fact he’s a flaming asshole.

I had the misfortune of coming in contact with Win Butler at the Cal Berkeley gym this past Saturday (June 2).

I play pickup basketball at the RSF (Recreational Sports Facility) and on this particular evening there was a girl's basketball tournament going on so only two of the seven courts were available.

This made for a congested couple courts for the evening run.

Win Butler was shooting around on one of the courts. I asked Mr. Butler if he wanted to play. He declined so I asked him if he could move off the court because we were starting a full court game. He angrily refused. He told me, and this a quote:

"I paid too much damn money to get in here and I'm playing on this court."

Apparently his friends were showing up later and he wanted to reserve the half court for himself and his friends. It costs $10 to get into the RSF. That is the amount that I paid to enter the gym and the amount that everyone pays who is not student, staff or faculty at Cal.

There were probably 30 people in the gym at the time wanting to play full court basketball.

I couldn't reason with Mr. Butler so I gave up. Two RSF supervisors tried to explain to Mr. Butler the court rules. Finally, a security guard arrived to talk him down. Mr. Butler was extremely agitated and animated during this entire episode. One of the other players claims Mr. Butler pushed him but I did not witness this. The security guard was so fed up with him she told us to just run him over.

The standoff lasted about 45 minutes before Mr. Butler finally left.

After I finished playing I realized my basketball was missing. I remembered last seeing it on the court where Mr. Butler was shooting around with a few other guys.

I went downstairs to the front desk to ask if anyone had turned in a ball. I described my ball to the young woman working the desk. I told her that I had drawn stars on the ball so nobody would take it by mistake.

She said: "The lead singer of Arcade Fire took your basketball."

She recognized my ball because he was holding it as he was yelling at her. Mr. Butler dressed down the RSF desk staff on his way out of the building.

Of all Win Butler’s myriad personality flaws and tics, his biggest one might be this: the dude can’t accept the fact he’s a flaming asshole.
I'm inclined to agree. I've met Regine, and she's super sweet. She's the same in every interview I've ever seen. Richard Reed Parry is equally nice. I had a great interaction with him following a show in Calgary.

I can't speak for the others, but Win seems to have issues with fame. I will say this: as much of an asshole as he can be, I know people who have met him and swear he's the opposite.

Maybe he was having an 'off night' but when I stuck up for my friend, I was on the receiving end of some of Win's nastiness and was too stunned to speak afterwards. Wish I had recorded the exchange and posted it here, lol.

Maybe he was having an 'off night' but when I stuck up for my friend, I was on the receiving end of some of Win's nastiness and was too stunned to speak afterwards. Wish I had recorded the exchange and posted it here, lol.

What happened? What's the "fake stage" all about? And if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, forgive me.....

What happened? What's the "fake stage" all about? And if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, forgive me.....

Upon entering the venue, we headed to the only visible stage in the hall (you can see it on my facebook, Mike). A couple of the bandmembers took the stage, started strumming their guitars but promptly ran to an adjacent wall where the curtain rose to reveal a larger stage. Chaos ensued as the people rushed this new stage and those who had a prime spot at the 'fake stage' were now unable to see anything; and in fact, a fairly large post obstructed our view. It wasn't the end of the world as the music still sounded great but my friend calmly commented to Win after the show that he thought it was 'uncool' and possibly dangerous. Win literally told him to go f**k himself and a heated exchange followed...

Upon entering the venue, we headed to the only visible stage in the hall (you can see it on my facebook, Mike). A couple of the bandmembers took the stage, started strumming their guitars but promptly ran to an adjacent wall where the curtain rose to reveal a larger stage. Chaos ensued as the people rushed this new stage and those who had a prime spot at the 'fake stage' were now unable to see anything; and in fact, a fairly large post obstructed our view. It wasn't the end of the world as the music still sounded great but my friend calmly commented to Win after the show that he thought it was 'uncool' and possibly dangerous. Win literally told him to go f**k himself and a heated exchange followed...

Thanks.

I saw you post a photo on your FB wall but still didn't completely understand what had happened...now I do. That's......disappointing, to say the least, sorry that happened. This is part of why I do not really like to meet athletes, authors, musicians, etc, whose work I enjoy. Not the end of the world if they turn out to be dicks but it's hard to just forget.

Thanks. I saw you post a photo on your FB wall but still didn't completely understand what had happened...now I do. That's......disappointing, to say the least, sorry that happened. This is part of why I do not really like to meet athletes, authors, musicians, etc, whose work I enjoy. Not the end of the world if they turn out to be dicks but it's hard to just forget.

Yep. I had dreams of interviewing all my favourite people when I became a journalist but after a few terse moments on the phone with Josh Tillman I decided it's probably for the best I don't seek out my heroes. Don't even do it for photos anymore.

Ya, I was a bit disillusioned after my encounter with Win Butler but then recalled that basketball story and other stories of him being a jerk.

The only other celebrities I've met were members of U2 and Matt Berninger and they were all great, down-to-earth folks (I don't even mind that Matt fell on me and crushed my legs during their show last summer ;) ).

It appears they've been doing this at their other gigs, and James Murphy was involved in Brooklyn.

And they did the same thing on Colbert last night.

It appears they've been doing this at their other gigs, and James Murphy was involved in Brooklyn.

And they did the same thing on Colbert last night.

It's fun to read this and assume you're talking about telling people to go fuck themselves

Since The Colbert Report is a politically insightful show, you'd think the host would have the intelligence to ask the band if they watched Battlestar Galactica.

Apparently not.

:down: Win pisses me off.

My friend told Win how disappointing that stunt was and Win told him to go f**k himself. My friend gave it right back to him and they went at it for a few, amusing minutes.

This first account made it sound like good natured ribbing, so now I'm kind of curious what exactly went down and just how much of a dickhead Win was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom