Another Hard Question!! Which Song Would You Leave Off The Joshua Tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow...I'm finding it much easier to come up with an answer to this question than the "leaving one track off AB" thread. As much as I love JT, it just doesn't seem quite as cohesive and thematic as AB, although the songs are still top-notch.

I would probably leave off Exit. It's a great song, but the version on my CD starts off so quiet that it feels like the disc is over and then boom, there goes the end of the song. It just kinda drops me.

-sula

Exit, or Mother of the Dissapeared. Neither of them have the appeal to me as the rest of the album!!!

Hard Question though... I have been thinking about it since last night, and I listened to the cd twice to get my answer.

I could NEVER leave off Mother's.... Just hearing Bono wail as if his life depended on it, during the, "...see their teeaaars, in the rain fall," segment, is as chilling as any moment on the entire album. Plus that incredible fuzz box (or whatever it is) throughout the whole song, creating a sound that takes you right down into Central America, right within the elements of it all. I don't know how they were able to capture that. It's an incredible piece of music. Try turning it up really loud one day. It's a song that you can get lost in, a song that overpowers you in emotion.

If I had to pick on song off JT -- and this would end up making the album worse, not better (why mess with perfection, right?) -- I would pick Trip Through Your Wires. I believe the song is still vital to the thematic and musical cohesivness of the album, but it is the weakest of 11 great tracks, IMO.

------------------
The Tempest

The Joshua Tree is the best album ever made by the best vocalist, guitarist, bassist and drummer ever to pick up those instruments.

The songs on the record are recorded in perfect harmony with nature, in the perfect order. There is no perfect album side here, just perfect album.

There has never been a sound in the universe that has been as harmonic and spiritually uplifting as the Joshua Tree in its entirety.

There should be no song left off of this album, and even the thought of ruining this perfect creation is sacriligious and anyone who suggested a song come off of this amazing platter should be damned to hell.

I like the Joshua Tree.

A lot.

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
So, tell me how you really feel.

Sorry but he's right. You are putting your self up for flaming for starting this thread.

flarg, indeed.
tongue.gif

This topic really sucks! We are talking about my favorite album of all time here and I'm not going to disown a single song off of it. In fact, I want to add songs to it!
wink.gif

I am adding Walk to the Water! :p There! Take that!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
This topic really sucks! We are talking about my favorite album of all time here and I'm not going to disown a single song off of it. In fact, I want to add songs to it!
wink.gif

If people can take songs off the best album of all time aka Achtung Baby, then it would follow that we can eliminate songs from the second best one!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

lol. Hey, I can lace up! It's just that my ice moves are a bit shabby.
tongue.gif

*thinks she should just kick Roland's arse and run while he's still trying to get up from the ice*
biggrin.gif

ROCK!

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 01-09-2002).]

Holy Crap!

Huhhhhh, Best of 3!!!
wink.gif

Geez, I always lose! Should of stayed on the ice.

Achtung is the Best. (I won't say it twice!)

:p (_!_) - me, having to lick your arse now!

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 01-09-2002).]

So this is why Sicy had to open this thread back up?

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

yep, this place never ceases to amaze me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by mikal:
So this is why Sicy had to open this thread back up?

*sigh*

well we could always just start a real honest-to-goodness flame war, I suppose...if that would suit you better.
tongue.gif

Holy Crap!

Did we really disappoint some people here?

Be patient, someone will come along and post an intelligent comment full of brilliant persuasive rhetoric for you.

Last I checked, I was a hobbit, not a troll.

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
Be patient, someone will come along and post an intelligent comment full of brilliant persuasive rhetoric for you.
if you should only post intelligent comments around here I'd be the first to leave
I know that there will always be threads that get hijacked to be used as some sort of chat room
using a thread that has been closed and just been reopened for this purpose seems (to put it mildly) a bit odd to me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
I know that this album isn't as conceptually-themed as Achtung Baby, but it does have a central theme of Bono's ideas of America woven throughout (at least imo-see what happens when I think?).

Anyway, my pick-Red Hill Mining Town.

Anyone else?

Isn't Red Hill about English miners? I've always wondered how that fits into an American-themed album. Anyway aside from that I would take out Trip Through Your Wires.

Oh and I really think that trying to create the "Real" Joshua Tree with the B-sides included weakens the album. I'm glad they cut those songs out...don't get me wrong though a couple of the B-sides are awesome!

Although the Joshua Tree is in every sense of the word a lyrical, musical, and cultural masterpiece and far superior to the overblown pretentious work masquerading as art which we know as pop music today, there would be those that might see the possibility for the elimination of one song. This is a hypothetical situation and in no way should it be taken as a detraction towards the creators of this award-winning album. Nor should it cause magnitudes of hand-wringing and one-upmanship between various factions within their fan base. However, when put to the test, it might be seen logical by some that a song such as Trip Through Your Wires could be lost from the Joshua Tree album without said album suffering any long-term detriments. Reasons cited for this decision could vary from personal preference to stylistic issues. Regardless, as the aforementioned question is one of theory, no offense should be taken at any answer to it.

There, how was that?
wink.gif

Sula can you write my college essays? ;-)

I can't pick one, personally I like the oddities in the album like Trip through your wires and Exit. I think it adds character and another dimmension. I love the second half of the album much more then the first for some reason. I don't know I personally get bored with the first half after a couple of listens, especially with ISHFWILF, argh there are days I can't stand to hear that song. So yeah I think that's the one that would get chopped up.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

If I had to pick I'd ax Trip Through Your Wires.. i like the song, but not so much as the others.

Really POPAngel, I was only kidding.

I do agree with Roland, however, I want to add songs.

I want to add a "Bad - Sort of Homecoming - All I want is You" medley after Bullet.

This is just as easy as the AB thread reply I gave. I'd bomb "Trip..." right off of JT. One of the worst songs U2 ever wrote - so bad that it ruined JT for me, hence why this album will never be amongst my favorite U2 albums despite some outstanding songs on it.

Back
Top Bottom