Alternate Tracklist SOI - Incl Bonus Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I'm going to have another go.

1 - Lucifer's Hands
2 - The Miracle
3 - California
4 - EBW
5 - SFS
6 - Iris
7 - Volcano
8 - Wolves
9 - Cedarwood Road
10 - SLABT
11 - TIWYCRMN
12 - The Troubles

No massive changes by any means but I feel it works. And even though I have issues with the Miracle, I put it in there because...I can't really imagine it not being on there.

Bear with me here, folks. I've given this a lot of consideration.

I take these custom track orders seriously, and am very critical about how things are arranged. My goal with Songs Of Innocence is twofold: to make sure the songs flow sonically from one to next as much as possible, but also to chart a specific progression through the mostly autobiographical material.

One quick note: I have not removed any songs from the tracklist. Unlike No Line On The Horizon, there isn’t anything that bothers me enough to jettison it completely, and I try to avoid drastic moves like this unless I find them completely necessary.

I’ve divided the album into several different sections thematically, and then attempted to maintain natural transitions between the songs that fit into those sections. What seemed the most logical to me was to begin the album with songs about “firsts”, about various awakenings.

While I certainly flirted with having Invisible lead off the album (especially with the longer intro of the full version), the main reason I refrained from doing so was because its Kraftwek-inspired vibe and overall atmosphere isn’t really representative of what follows, which for the most part is a direct pop album. To me, the energy and the lyric of The Miracle (seeing the band that changed your life) is too fitting to substitute with anything else. From there, we go right into Invisible, which describes a moment of self-actualization and the liberation of leaving home. If I had the “RED edit” in a higher quality version, I would possibly use that as the extended intro might be a bit odd for a #2 track but for now the longer take works well enough. It also has an anthemic chorus that gives it something in common with The Miracle.

The major move I’ve made here is substituting Song For Someone as the early ballad in place of Every Breaking Wave. The main reason is that I think a song about losing your viriginity makes more sense near the beginning of the album than a darker breakup song. Also, Invisible’s closing refrain of “there is no them/there’s only us” is a great lead-in to an intimate song about two lovers. The longer fadeout of the new version of Invisible makes a good transition to the delicate acoustic guitar opening of SFS.

From here, we go to another first: the band’s trip to California. We’ve already covered the band’s musical genesis, their independence from home life, first loves, and now they're exploring the larger world outside. On a sonic level, the abrupt “there is a light/don’t let it go out” of SFS followed by the opening chimes of California work really well because the silence isn’t harshly interrupted by a guitar, drums, etc.

Now we begin the next section: Loss. The coastal setting of California is a good segue into the water/nautical imagery of Every Breaking Wave, but on a personal level, this is where we explore the previous song’s assertion that “there’s no end to grief”, as the breakdown of a relationship is explored. And then we come to the great tragedy of Bono losing his mother. To me, putting these two songs together is a no-brainer. They really complement each other. And the ending keyboard work of EBW flows perfectly into the processed choirish vocals at the beginning of Iris. Bono has stated in interviews that Volcano is his explosive reaction to the pent-up energy of this loss, and so I think keeping this after Iris makes the most sense. Sound-wise it’s a little jarring in that you’re going from a fairly ethereal song to a rougher, more energetic one, but with the subject matter that harsh reaction is arguably appropriate.

At the risk of sounding too on-the-nose, I’m matching Bono’s “explosion” in Volcano with the bombing that inspired Raised By Wolves. Again, I’ve stuck with the original album order here and it’s preferable to me to maintain it when possible—it’s not like the band screwed up the entire sequencing. Both songs are punchy and recall their War-era sound. And we have two songs that deal with political issues, which I feel should be paired together. First, the wreckage and horrific imagery of Raised By Wolves, but then we see how the artists react to the world they’ve inherited. Which is why RBW feeds right into This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, where the band’s political awareness manifests itself into a clear direction and purpose, a call to arms. Sonically, the stark, early 80s-reminiscent piano notes at the end of RBV are echoed in the piano at the beginning of TIWYCRMN.

Next I rely more on a sonic transition than the thematic one. The very danceable post-punk of This Is Where… gets paired with the disco-esque beat of The Crystal Ballroom, and both share a broader 70s sound. Conceptually, we can say that that the band is no longer naïve, they have found their sound and their raison d’être, and now they have the distance to fantasize and reflect. Bono imagining his father dancing with his deceased mother at a ballroom-turned-rock club is not something that makes sense earlier in the album (and the drugged-out club sound is certainly second-half material), so it fits here the best. Some have argued it doesn’t fit on the album at all sonically, but I don’t find much common ground between This Is Where… and Song For Someone, for example, and they’re both on the same album.

The conclusion gets a little trickier: Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is a bit of an outlier in its atmosphere, and the subject matter of an abuser’s POV makes it hard to fit in with the autobiographical narrator we’ve seen in the rest of the album. But we continue looking homeward and explore the abuse of children by local clergymen, and in addition the description of the abuser’s daily activity is a twisted portrait of domestic mundanity. Musically, the pulsating keyboards and bass that conclude The Crystal Ballroom naturally go into the opening keyboards of Sleep, and it’s one of the more obvious transitions once you hear it.

Domestic issues continue with Cedarwood Road, where the narrator describes his old home, but it’s not simple nostalgia. It actually serves as a summation of much of what we’ve heard before: the family disagreements that made him leave home, the violence in the streets, and even a reference to the clergy. Penultimate songs on U2 albums tend to be big “showstopping” numbers both musically and lyrically (Please, Acrobat, Breathe, Exit), and as much as I love This Is Where…, I believe Cedarwood to have more gravitas, because for one it’s not as “fun” and it’s a heavier track in general, and the vocal is more emotional and passionate. Plus, the final section builds to a crescendo that seems really fitting for this placement as the album's climax, as well as the clear thesis line of “you can’t return to where you’ve never left”, which to me could be the motto of the entire album.

U2 albums are known for their downbeat, moodier codas after a powerhouse number: Mothers Of The Disappeared, MLK, Wake Up Dead Man, Love Is Blindness, Grace, Cedars Of Lebanon. The Troubles fits the description easily. And it also continues the subject of home life in its depiction of domestic violence. But keep in mind, it’s about surviving that ordeal, and the metaphor of the title’s reference to Ireland’s political struggle works here as well. By ending the album with a survivor’s sentiment (perhaps taking a cue from the previous song's "a heart that is broken/is a heart that is open"), it suggests new life, new paths, a light at the end of the tunnel. And that’s a good place to end this stage of the journey before Songs Of Experience.

Thanks for your patience, I hope some of you will give this one a try.

1. The Miracle
2. Invisible
3. Song For Someone
4. California
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Iris
7. Volcano
8. Raised By Wolves
9. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10. The Crystal Ballroom
11. Sleep Like A Baby
12. Cedarwood Road
13. The Troubles

Thanks for your patience, I hope some of you will give this one a try.

1. The Miracle
2. Invisible
3. Song For Someone
4. California
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Iris
7. Volcano
8. Raised By Wolves
10. The Crystal Ballroom
11. Sleep Like A Baby
12. Cedarwood Road
13. The Troubles
I like that very much, my playlist will be 14 tracks, adding Lucifer's Hands between Volcano and Raised By Wolves.

For me, this would be the perfect tracklist for a perfect album:

01.Invisible (RED edit)
02.Every Breaking Wave
03.California
04.Song For Someone
05.Iris
06.Volcano
07.Raised By Wolves
08.Cedarwood Road
09.Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
10.This Is Where You Can Reach me Now
11.The Crystal Ballroom
12.The Troubles

I just made 2 discs, both have run times now of about 53 minutes. Like having 2 different complete albums

Disc 1

01 - The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
02 - Every Breaking Wave
03 - California (There Is No End To Love)
04 - Song For Someone
05 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
06 - Volcano
07 - Raised By Wolves
08 - Cedarwood Road
09 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11 - The Troubles
12 - The Crystal Ballroom

Disc 2

01 - The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (Busker Version)
02 - Every Breaking Wave (Acoustic Version)
03 - California (There Is No End To Love) (Acoustic Version)
04 - Song For Someone (Acoustic Version)
05 - Ordinary Love
06 - Invisible
07 - Raised By Wolves (Acoustic Version)
08 - Cedarwood Road (Acoustic Version)
09 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (Alternate Version)
10 - Lucifer's Hands
11 - The Troubles (Alternate Version)
12 - The Crystal Ballroom (12" Mix)

:reject:

Crystal Ballroom at #1??

So many people seem to be arranging these based on sonics alone, and that just doesn't work for me. Especially with an album that has a clear concept of revisiting a certain period in time.

A song about a fantasy of Bono's parents dancing together after his mother has died makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in that spot. "We are the ghosts of love" is just not something you lead an album off with.

And I'm automatically disqualifying anything that has The Miracle --> EBW (and there are many). A transition that has no justification sonically or thematically.

Hey, great! I didn't know you were the fucking track list king. Now that I know I'll be sure to clear everything through you first.

I like it in the first song because of the first line. Life begins with the first dance.

It's a song with Bono looking back and imagining his mother and father when they were dating. Wondering "why he's here.". His life started with their first kiss.

If you don't think that fits, that's fine. I do. And it has noting to so with the "sonics" of the song.

Bono's parents meet. Band hears the Ramones. Bono and Ali meet. Band goes to London. Bono and Ali do it. Iris dies. Bono's angry. Bombings. Priests. Influence. Domestic abuse. Album over.

But hey, let's make a big deal about having the Crystal Ballroom first, because it doesn't fit the timeline that you take soooooo seriously, but then go toss a song about their first trip to California in the first third of the album, which didn't happen until the third leg of the Boy tour.

Makes much more sense thematically and chronologically.

Thank you Lazarus for your track list proposal and your thoughts on why you built it in that order. I always looked forward to reading your track list analysis going back to the Pop album. Lucifer Hands did not make it on your list but if it did I'm curious as to where you would place it?

Thanks. It's hard to say. I don't think it's quite at the quality level of the rest of the songs, so I left it out.

It doesn't really conjure up anything heavy lyrically, and just seems like more of what was already covered in The Miracle. Does that mean it would fit best in-between that track and Invisible? Perhaps. And the more frivolous, "fun" songs tend to work better at the front of the album.

Due to its playfulness, I like your reasoning of potentially placing Lucifer’s Hands near the front of the album – perhaps track 2. Also, it could fit with the theme of songs about “firsts”, about various awakenings – the awakening of their Faith.

Today, I just had a listen to the Dave Fanning interview from Saturday. Bono: “One of the strongest influences in our life was discovering the Scriptures. I learnt a lot about the Scriptures from my friendship with the Rowans who were this quite eccentric family from 5 Cedarwood Road and their Dad was a bit of a Bible basher. I seemed able to see through all the nonsense of fire and brimstone stuff to the poetry and the truthfulness in the Bible. And then we met some people who were a very ascetic group of Christian people. They shared their cash. They were this very idealistic kind of people. It was called the Shalom group and when we were teenagers we went to Port Rand and out there I got baptized in the sea by a preacher called Chris Rose – an amazing man. It was a really deep and profound experience for myself, and for Edge, and for all of us. So, I’ve written this song, it is kind of playful, Lucifer’s Hands. Edge has this most unbelievable riff and if it wasn’t for the riff you wouldn’t be interested in this story that I just told you.”

Womanfish has written that he has already made an Edit by removing most of the middle eight section. Would an Edit like this improve the stature of song for you?

Do you have any issues with Every Breaking Wave even being on SOI since it was originally going to be on No Horizon?

Does Ordinary Love have a case to be on SOI? “The coastal setting of California is a good segue into the water/nautical imagery of Every Breaking Wave.” Could Ordinary Love come before Every Breaking Wave? “The sea wants to kiss the golden shore …. The sea throws rocks together. But time leaves us polished stones”

Ok, update time, and I'm sure I will ignite a fire of hatred for what I've done, but here it goes.

1. The Miracle
2. The Crystal Ballroom (Womanfish Edit)
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. California
5. Song For Someone (piano/acoustic Womanfish edit)
6. Iris
7. Volcano
8. Raised By Wolves
9. Cedarwood Road
10. Sleep Like A Baby (Womanfish Edit)
11. The Troubles

Yes, I got rid of Reach. But damn if this doesn't make me love the album even more than I already do. At least for now, I just love the way Sleep flows into The Troubles. Reach seems so out of place. And Crystal Ballroom after Miracle makes me like Miracle even more, and is a better transition into EBW.

Anyway, I will duck and cover

1. The Miracle
2. Invisible
3. Song For Someone
4. California
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Iris
7. Volcano
8. Raised By Wolves
10. The Crystal Ballroom
11. Sleep Like A Baby
12. Cedarwood Road
13. The Troubles
This one is really good.

I don't know that it really matters to me to make an alternative track list at this point and would have no problem adding Lucifer's Hands, Crystal Ballroom, Invisible, and Ordinary Love in there somewhere.

But it's a testament to the number of quality tracks that people are doing this. You couldn't do this in 2009

Due to its playfulness, I like your reasoning of potentially placing Lucifer’s Hands near the front of the album – perhaps track 2. Also, it could fit with the theme of songs about “firsts”, about various awakenings – the awakening of their Faith.

Today, I just had a listen to the Dave Fanning interview from Saturday. Bono: “One of the strongest influences in our life was discovering the Scriptures. I learnt a lot about the Scriptures from my friendship with the Rowans who were this quite eccentric family from 5 Cedarwood Road and their Dad was a bit of a Bible basher. I seemed able to see through all the nonsense of fire and brimstone stuff to the poetry and the truthfulness in the Bible. And then we met some people who were a very ascetic group of Christian people. They shared their cash. They were this very idealistic kind of people. It was called the Shalom group and when we were teenagers we went to Port Rand and out there I got baptized in the sea by a preacher called Chris Rose – an amazing man. It was a really deep and profound experience for myself, and for Edge, and for all of us. So, I’ve written this song, it is kind of playful, Lucifer’s Hands. Edge has this most unbelievable riff and if it wasn’t for the riff you wouldn’t be interested in this story that I just told you.”

Womanfish has written that he has already made an Edit by removing most of the middle eight section. Would an Edit like this improve the stature of song for you?

Do you have any issues with Every Breaking Wave even being on SOI since it was originally going to be on No Horizon?

Does Ordinary Love have a case to be on SOI? “The coastal setting of California is a good segue into the water/nautical imagery of Every Breaking Wave.” Could Ordinary Love come before Every Breaking Wave? “The sea wants to kiss the golden shore …. The sea throws rocks together. But time leaves us polished stones”

Regardless of how Lucifer's Hands may fit into the story (and it's interesting to hear Bono speak more about its meaning), I'll reiterate that I just don't think it's up to snuff.

When I made my Pop custom playlist, I legitimately felt that several of the outtakes were worthy of inclusion: North And South Of The River, Holy Joe, I'm Not Your Baby are all on there. They all have unique sounds, and don't sound redundant or inferior to what they're mixed in with.

Ordinary Love is a song that again, I just don't feel is within throwing distance of the quality of the other SOI material. And, seeing as how it was written for a separate project, really has nothing to do with this album. Maybe it would have a place on Songs Of Experience, I don't know.

As for Every Breaking Wave, I'm usually loathe to remove a song completely unless I feel it's unredeemable or does too much damage to the album around it (see: Crazy Tonight). And while I have a couple issues with the song, I don't skip it or dislike it. Yes, it predates the main sessions, but U2 have made great songs out of projects that have laid around for years so I don't think that should be a disqualifier.

EBW's other problem is that it does seem like more of an "Experience" song than an "Innocence" one, and at the risk of sounding cynical, the band may have just put it on the album because it was a likely single. I don't know how a breakup song with nautical imagery that an older man would use fits on here, but at the same point I didn't want to get too rigid in my "rules" for the album. It's only a loose concept anyway. One could argue the same thing about The Troubles, but because of the political subtext it fits in more with depicting the atmosphere of Ireland when U2's members were growing up.

Womanfish, I am interested in hearing your Edits. Would you share them?

No problem. Just PM me or post your email here and I will send stuff out in the morning.

Nothing groundbreaking. Just tweaking here and there, tightening things up, chopping out 40 seconds of LH. hahahahahaha.

my pleasure

Regardless of how Lucifer's Hands may fit into the story (and it's interesting to hear Bono speak more about its meaning), I'll reiterate that I just don't think it's up to snuff.

When I made my Pop custom playlist, I legitimately felt that several of the outtakes were worthy of inclusion: North And South Of The River, Holy Joe, I'm Not Your Baby are all on there. They all have unique sounds, and don't sound redundant or inferior to what they're mixed in with.

Ordinary Love is a song that again, I just don't feel is within throwing distance of the quality of the other SOI material. And, seeing as how it was written for a separate project, really has nothing to do with this album. Maybe it would have a place on Songs Of Experience, I don't know.

As for Every Breaking Wave, I'm usually loathe to remove a song completely unless I feel it's unredeemable or does too much damage to the album around it (see: Crazy Tonight). And while I have a couple issues with the song, I don't skip it or dislike it. Yes, it predates the main sessions, but U2 have made great songs out of projects that have laid around for years so I don't think that should be a disqualifier.

EBW's other problem is that it does seem like more of an "Experience" song than an "Innocence" one, and at the risk of sounding cynical, the band may have just put it on the album because it was a likely single. I don't know how a breakup song with nautical imagery that an older man would use fits on here, but at the same point I didn't want to get too rigid in my "rules" for the album. It's only a loose concept anyway. One could argue the same thing about The Troubles, but because of the political subtext it fits in more with depicting the atmosphere of Ireland when U2's members were growing up.

Could you please PM me your POP, ATYCLB, HTDAAB & NLOTH playlists?

Thanks

1 Lucifer's Hands
2 The Miracle
3 Every Breaking Wave
4 California
5 Cedarwood Road
6 Song For Someone
7 Iris
8 Volcano
9 Raised By Wolves
10 The Troubles
11 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
12 Crystal Ballroom
13 Sleep Like A Baby
14 Invisible

I think I've perfected this playlist. Lucifer's Hands is made to be an opener and flows well into The Miracle. EBW-California is a nice move away from the rockier first 2 songs. Then Cedarwood-SFS-Iris-Volcano flows well together. Then RBW-The Troubles-TIWYCRMN adds another element to the album. I like the way The Troubles leads into Reach, I feel like it ends too suddenly for a closer. Then I think TCB and Sleep Like A Baby go well together because of the Pop vibe I get from the two. TCB has that Pop grooviness, kinda like Do You Feel Loved and songs similar. While Sleep Like A Baby sounds a lot like Velvet Dress. Then I think the new version of Invisible is a very good closer. It has a good intro and outro that an album closer really needs, and it's a lot more different than their other album closers. Most of the time the closer is a real drag, but I thinks it's an appropriate way to end innocence before they go to an assumably darker 'experience'.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1 Lucifer's Hands
2 The Miracle
3 Every Breaking Wave
4 California
5 Cedarwood Road
6 Song For Someone
7 Iris
8 Volcano
9 Raised By Wolves
10 The Troubles
11 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
12 Crystal Ballroom
13 Sleep Like A Baby
14 Invisible

I think I've perfected this playlist. Lucifer's Hands is made to be an opener and flows well into The Miracle. EBW-California is a nice move away from the rockier first 2 songs. Then Cedarwood-SFS-Iris-Volcano flows well together. Then RBW-The Troubles-TIWYCRMN adds another element to the album. I like the way The Troubles leads into Reach, I feel like it ends too suddenly for a closer. Then I think TCB and Sleep Like A Baby go well together because of the Pop vibe I get from the two. TCB has that Pop grooviness, kinda like Do You Feel Loved and songs similar. While Sleep Like A Baby sounds a lot like Velvet Dress. Then I think the new version of Invisible is a very good closer. It has a good intro and outro that an album closer really needs, and it's a lot more different than their other album closers. Most of the time the closer is a real drag, but I thinks it's an appropriate way to end innocence before they go to an assumably darker 'experience'.

This looks really good, pretty much the same as what I was thinking, only a couple minor differences, but this might work better.

Yeah, so the bonus tracks - most of them are nice to hear but nothing over the versions that made the album, with a couple of exceptions. Think I may make a playlist of the album as follows (all versions the original album version unless otherwise specified) and see how it plays:

1. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
2. Every Breaking Wave (acoustic version)
3. California (acoustic version)
4. Lucifer's Hands
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10. The Crystal Ballroom (bonus disc version, although I haven't really listened to the remix yet)
11. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
12. The Troubles

Neither version of Song for Someone works for me, so it is banished! On the fence on Invisible - I clearly like the single version better than what's on the bonus disc, just not sure it would flow with the rest of the album - probably would put it to open or after The Miracle if I did put it in.

Hmm, this is tough. I've gone through like 10 different iterations of this track list. Here's my most recent:

1. Invisible
2. The Crystal Ballroom
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. California
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. The Troubles
9. Cedarwood Road
10. The Miracle
11. Lucifer's Hands
12. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now

Will listen and hear how it sounds.

^Listened and it works, one change is adding Sleep Like a Baby (Alternative) as the 13th track. (And maybe for completionist sake Song for Someone after California)

Here's an all killer, no filler track list:

1. Invisible
2. The Crystal Ballroom
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. California
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised by Wolves
8. Troubles
9. Lucifer's Hands
10. Reach Around

1. California
2. The Miracle
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. Volcano
5. Iris
6. Raised By Wolves
7. The Troubles
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
10. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11. Invisible [(RED) edit]

Like a few others, I felt it was natural to put "The Troubles" right after "Raised By Wolves." I still need to hear the longer version of "Invisible" to decide if it is a better version to close the album than the (RED) edit.

My tracklist:

1. Invisible (I know this doesn't fit theme-wise, but it just doesn't
sound like it fits musically on the album. So I have it as a stand-alone
track to starts thing off)
---
The album:
2. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
3. Lucifer's Hands
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. California (There is No End to Love)
6. Song for Someone
7. Iris (Hold Me Close)
8. The Crystal Ballroom
9. Volcano
10.This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11. Cedarwood Road
12. Raised By Wolves
13. Sleep Like a Baby
14. The Troubles

It works for me. :D

My tracklist:

1. Invisible (I know this doesn't fit theme-wise, but it just doesn't
sound like it fits musically on the album. So I have it as a stand-alone
track to starts thing off)
---
The album:
2. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
3. Lucifer's Hands
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. California (There is No End to Love)
6. Song for Someone
7. Iris (Hold Me Close)
8. The Crystal Ballroom
9. Volcano
10.This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11. Cedarwood Road
12. Raised By Wolves
13. Sleep Like a Baby
14. The Troubles

It works for me. :D

This one looks good to me. I just love how sleep like a baby transitions into the Troubles.

Why are we saying Invisible "doesn't" fit the theme of the album? It clearly fits the theme of youthful days and band beginnings. If were talking musically, it's a bit more electronica, but still 'rock' enough to flow nicely in the album...:rockon:

Why are we saying Invisible "doesn't" fit the theme of the album? It clearly fits the theme of youthful days and band beginnings. If were talking musically, it's a bit more electronica, but still 'rock' enough to flow nicely in the album...:rockon:

I don't know, maybe I'm a psychopath or something. But I don't want every song on an album to have the same sound, diversity is nice. Especially with gems like Invisible and Crystal Ballroom.

Neither here nor there to your track listing since I haven't tried it out yet, but is Every Breaking Wave actually a break up song? I think the last line of the chorus dispels that a bit.

"Baby every dog on the street, knows we're in love with defeat
Are we ready to be swept off our feet
And stop chasing every breaking wave?"

To me, that sort of says that the couple is saying, "yeah, there's problems, but fuck it, there's something here -- let's stop chasing other things/people/ideas. The middle 8 does end with "So we end before we begin," but, the chorus suggesting that If you go your way / and that they want to be swept off our feet... just makes it seem like it's about a couple on the rocks that just tune out the rough waters/problems and just go with it.

Back
Top Bottom