alright, i surrender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
ok, every time i think of a u2 song and what meaning it has, i am invariably wrong. so do u guys know any web page or something whre they list all of the ablum songs' meanings? for example, i thought IALW was a bout being in love and missing someone when in reality its a bout a hangover, so im not the u2 decoder i thought i was. please help

pinkfloyd said:
every song has a lot of meanings , and they're all different and mysterious .

Definitely! :up:

That's the beauty of U2 songs... they mean something different to each person. The group is usually pretty vague about what a song "means" -- that is, they don't come right out and say "This song is about this..." Sometimes Bono will say something like "This song's about a hangover" But that doesn't mean that it's not also about love and missing someone. Don't let anyone bully you about your opinions of a song...no one but Bono, Adam, Edge, and Larry really know what the songs were meant to be about.

You can't be wrong on how you intreprate a song......It's like an opnion....

That is one of the great things about their music..the lyrics are kinda vague and open for intrepretation...you can fit them to your life.

Two people can get two different meanings from the same song, that is what makes it so wonderful.

There is no right or wrong answer, or right or wrong meaning.

daisybean said:

True. Sometimes I think my interpretation is a bit of a stretch of the lyrics, but then again, that's just my opinion. ;)

Exactly...

daisybean said:

That is one of the great things about their music..the lyrics are kinda vague and open for intrepretation...you can fit them to your life.

Two people can get two different meanings from the same song, that is what makes it so wonderful.

There is no right or wrong answer, or right or wrong meaning.

:yes:. Absolutely true.

After all, I'd heard "In A Little While" was about Ali in someone's review of ATYCLB on Epinions.com, and that's what I believe it's about-I personally like to think a charming little song like that is about Bono's wife...that makes it all the sweeter to me.

And that's my interpretation, I could be right, I could be wrong. Just like anyone else who has their own thoughts on what a song may be about.

Angela

Last edited:
yuck, I hate these fucking "interpretations" that appear in these books

just remember that Bono says a lot of things, and often contradicts himself

but really I wish he would just shut up about songs, more than once he has written clever, ambiguous lyrics and spoiled it by saying what the song "means," which is one of the absolute worst things in the world any artist can do, it's so destructive, this happens with music videos too, if you're not careful, the song will be associated with whatever happens in the video, oh well

Back
Top Bottom