Ali Thread #10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
15-1.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

What I most admire about Ali is that she has always been willing to "walk the walk" about the issues in life that she cares about. She is not comfortable to just voice her concern and then sit on the sidelines, looking pretty, while others do all the work.

That is dedication, that is integrity - that is a woman of substance & true beauty.

Kudos to Ali :applaud:

Hewson overcomes vertigo in charity abseil

By Catherine Shanahan

Monday, June 01, 2009

ELEVATION: the Hewsons are famous for it, be it the name of a U2 tour
or the top of a tower – where Ali wound up at the weekend in a
fundraiser for the Chernobyl Children’s Project International (CCPI).

"It was much scarier than I thought it would be," the elated mother-of-
four confessed to the Irish Examiner after taking a wobble or two on
her abseil down the country’s tallest building, the Elysian Tower in
Cork city. Given her only dress rehearsal for the dizzying challenge
was down the quarry in Dalkey, Co Dublin, she did remarkably well.

For 10 minutes, she hung precariously over the top of the 17-storey
building, to facilitate photographers and a camera crew, before
beginning her descent. Women watching from the ground below strained
necks and eyes against the sun to see how the challenge was going.

"Look at her figure, look at those skinny legs," one remarked
enviously as Ali held on for dear life.

At last, she got going, only to lose her footing, and for a few
seconds she swung helplessly against the tower. Then composure
regained, and without further ado, she lowered herself safely to the
pavement below.

"Oh my God, it was so slippy, I lost the power of my legs," she said,
relieved to be back on solid ground.

"You’re the craziest mum in the world," said her nine-year-old son
John, who, together with seven-year-old Elijah, hugged her tightly,
glad to have her back in one piece. Ali’s brother Ian also did the
abseil, in a spur-of-the-moment show of support.

"It was very frightening," Ali said, "but I am an able-bodied person
and I am not the brave one – Christina and Olga are."

Christina and Olga are two of the orphans rescued by the CCPI from
mental institutions in Belarus. They are undergoing treatment in
Ireland that may eventually allow them to walk with the aid of
prosthetic limbs.

Chief executive of CCPI, Adi Roche, said she was "incredibly nervous"
when she saw "how awesome the drop was" from the top of the Elysian as
Ali prepared to abseil down.

"We’re incredibly proud of her but the children she’s fundraising for
have really touched her heart," Ms Roche said.

She said they were equally grateful to the Garda Training College in
Templemore, where Garda Conal Mallen, Garda Conor O’Reilly and Sgt
Brendan Hoare came up with the idea to abseil down the Elysian, as
well as organising an Ocean to City rowing race and runners to take
part in today’s Cork City Marathon. The Garda involvement is part of a
drive to raise money for the CCPI Home of Hope Project. CCPI has
already purchased 23 Homes of Hope in Belarus where they house
children rescued from state institutions.

Head of Templemore, Chief Superintendent Jack Nolan, said their
involvement with the CCPI was part of a wider campaign to involve
gardaí more actively in the community.

"We have started a programme called Community Engagement in Action.
This year, CCPI is our flagship project. We are hoping to raise enough
money to purchase a Garda Home of Hope in Belarus," Chief Supt Nolan
said.

Ms Roche said the weekend events had been such a success, the
fundraising target had been raised from e50,000 to e100,000. To make
donations to the CCPI, log onto www.chernobyl-interational.com

I've been skydiving before. It was such a rush, but I don't know if Icould scale down a building

Mike helps Ali to scale new heights

KERRY man Mike O’Shea received a special gift from Ali Hewson – wife of U2 frontman Bono – when he helped her abseil down Ireland’s tallest building at the weekend.

The Beaufort native trained Ali for the big feat which saw her descend the 17-storey, 83m Elysian building in Cork in aid of the Chernobyl Children’s Project International.

Mike and his team from his Irish Rope Access company provided the training, rope work and safety service at the big fundraiser on Saturday.

And a grateful Ali presented him with a limited edition of U2’s latest CD, signed by herself and Bono.

"It was a very nice gesture," said Mike.

"Ali was very easy to work with. She is a very unassuming lady but very confident and well able. She was more than capable for the challenge."

Student gardaí organised the event to raise funds to build a Home of Hope for children from Chernobyl and creative Killarney photographer, Valerie O’Sullivan, was booked to capture the big event on camera.

"Everyone involved had to be trained to abseil in the first place and get ready for the event. We were also there to provide the rope work as well as the safety and rescue end of things," Mike told The Kingdom.

The Beaufort man, a former member of Kerry Mountain Rescue Team and current member of Dingle Coastguard, has no shortage of experience in scaling grand heights himself.

Based in Dingle, he operates Play at Height, one of Europe’s highest climbing walls, in the Kerry town and also runs Work at Height, which links up with agencies across Ireland, and Irish Rope Access.

"I had some training sessions with Ali Hewson in Dalkey quarry as she had never abseiled before, but she was well able for it. It’s a fair jump up from the likes of Dalkey quarry to abseiling over 270 feet," said Mike.

"At the event on Saturday we were there from 8am until 6pm. A total of 83 people abseiled in the finish and abseiled four and a half miles altogether. Our team of four controlled the safety line from the top of the building."

Joining Ali and Mike at the Cork event were Everest climber, Pat Falvey and the chief executive of the Chernobyl project, Adi Roche.

news2,090605.jpg

I've missed this thread and come back to such goodness shared here. Thanks to all for the articles, photos etc. I'd heard Bono speak about Ali's brave attempt which he spoke about on the Late Show this week. Glad to hear she made it safely! Cute photo of she and the boys!! The article is also lovely. I've visited Glendalough, it's beautiful. I can imagine how much more gorgeous it would be while there, sipping expensive champagne! Such wonderful lives they lead, those lucky Hewsons! :love:

It seems that Edun is not going that well:|Check this article:shifty:

Edun not quite paradise as Bono's clothing company makes $4m loss

Edun - Fairly Traded Fashion Buy online or visit our boutique

Equa : Fair Trade | Organic | Ethical Style | Ethical Fashion London

By john mulligan

Wednesday June 10 2009

Edun Apparel, the clothing company founded by Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson, with designer Rogan Gregory (centre), made a loss in 2007 of $4m (then equivalent to €2.7m), according to accounts just filed for the business.

Edun sold a nearly 50pc stake in the business to French luxury goods giant LVMH last month for $8.5m (€6.1m). That deal also saw Bono and his wife stump up a further $8.9m in capital for Edun. Mark Weber, who is chief executive of LVMH's US operation, and also chairman and CEO of Donna Karan International, is overseeing the equity investment in Edun.

Edun's accounts for 2007 show that it had a shareholders' deficit of over $14.5m at the end of that year, up from nearly $10.7m in 2006. Bank loans held by the company soared from $3.6m in 2006 to just over $10m at the end of 2007.

Edun made sales to its US subsidiary totalling $3.2m in 2007, up from $2.3m in 2006.

Edun America also charged a net management fee of $2.2m to the Irish parent, up from $269,000 the year before. Edun America also had a loan owing to Edun Apparel in the amount of $540,000.

Edun sells organic cotton wares that are made in countries such as Kenya, Peru and India. LVMH has said that its investment in Edun "demonstrates that it's possible to promote fair trade in the fashion industry".

LVMH is the world's largest maker of luxury goods and its stable of products includes brands such as Louis Vuitton, Dom Perignon champagne, Givenchy and Donna Karan. Listed on the Paris stock exchange, it has a market capitalisation of over $40bn (€29bn).

- john mulligan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom