Album 13: Shit Gets Real

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody is going to take that question seriously, and we're going to get a full blown Illuminati answer, especially now with the BoA stuff.

Just so all of our non US fans freak out now and not later...

Super Bowl commercials are generally limited to the American broadcast of the game—preventing international viewers from watching the game with these often iconic commercials. However, in recent years, some television stations in Canada have aired highlights of the commercials during their local newscasts, and Super Bowl advertisers have posted their commercials on websites such as YouTube following the game, alleviating the issue (and also allowing the ads to further become viral as well). Complaints about the non-availability of the U.S. Super Bowl ads are common in Canada; although U.S. network affiliates are widely available on Canadian cable and satellite providers, the "simultaneous substitution" regulations give Canadian television networks the right to request that a U.S. feed of a program be replaced with its Canadian counterpart on these providers if it is airing a program in simulcast with a U.S. network. This rule is intended to protect the investments of Canadian broadcasters in exclusive domestic broadcast rights, and also protect Canadian advertisers who had purchased their own advertising time on the Canadian network. As a result, most Super Bowl ads are effectively "blacked out" by the Canadian broadcaster.[6][7][8]

Some U.S.-based advertisers, particularly PepsiCo and Anheuser-Busch (via its Canadian subsidiary Labatt), do buy ad time during the CTV broadcast (which costs a fraction of the price to air an ad on the U.S. broadcast)[9] to air at least some of their American commercials, while some companies produce new ads specifically for the Canadian audience. However, many Canadian advertisers simply re-air ads from their regular rotation, or air the same ad multiple times over the course of the game, neither of which is typical during the U.S. network broadcast. Reasons cited by Canadian advertisers for these practices include the additional talent and post-production fees that would be required to broadcast the American ads in Canada, and the perceived lower "cultural resonance" of the game for Canadian viewers as opposed to Americans.[8] However, the inverse has also occurred with Canadian companies purchasing ad time during the game in the U.S.: in 2013, both BlackBerry and Gildan Activewear aired Super Bowl ads in Canada and the U.S., while Bank of Montreal bought local advertising time in some areas to promote its BMO Harris Bank branches.[9]

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

What purpose would that serve? Why wouldn't you just download it from iTunes since it's free and for charity?

Well it won't serve any purpose really, but there's no "better" way to support the charity. Hour 1 or hour 23, same difference.

Having said that, if the song is out at 6pm I doubt I'll wait for the commercial ;)

I can't speak for music released on iTunes, but I have released a couple of iOS apps. When you release something on iTunes it takes a while for it to show up in all of the different territories. It might be instant, it might be a couple hours. Maybe there's a process that people at Apple can use to get exact times for high priority releases. But if not, it could show up a couple hours before the game if they decide they need the appropriate amount of time to make sure it is present after the ad. It may be deeply hidden when you search for U2 and not promoted on the front page, but it might be floating around out there... Just a theory based on my iTunes uploading experience.

I used to work for a company that released music on iTunes, and for high priority artists, they are able to strategically time their releases, very precisely. In some cases, they receive the audio & can get it up for sale within an hour or 2. In other cases, they have it in their system for a month or 2 before the public sees it, depending on the artists' release date. So... it's totally possible everyone at iTunes has already heard it, but equally possible U2 is waiting til much closer to the release date to give the track to iTunes.

I think it's funny how this thread has moved back to discussing the possible announcement of the new album during the Super Bowl commercial. Won't happen! Why is it so hard to understand that the band (yes, that's U2, not only Bono) are doing this for (RED) only and don't want the stuff mixed up with album promotion. IMO, it wouldn't look good and all and they are very aware of that. Those of us who'll still wait for an album announcement on 2 Feb will be disappointed, but at least we'll get a new song. I am looking forward to the commercial as well because it's a look into a new U2 video, but most of all to the song, of course.

(RED) is not a charity. It's a public-private partnership that generates money for the Global Fund, an international institution set up to fight diseases in Africa. It's a business model. And yes, it means a lot to Bono and I'm pretty sure it also means a lot to the rest of U2. They agreed to have (RED) zones at their 360 shows and have donated money to Bono's causes before, so it isn't so hard to believe that indeed all of U2 would take part in that commercial. Without the band's agreement, Bono wouldn't be able to use "Invisible" for the campaign. Of course they are all on board. Having a commercial with U2 is just so much stronger than having a commercial with Bono only.

I don't get my hopes up about an album announcement on 2/2, in fact, I hope it won't happen because (RED) is (RED) and not a promotion platform for U2. After the Super Bowl I say: Bring it on. Fallon seems much more likely for me to announce the album. I'm sure we'll have some amazing things coming up in the weeks following the Super Bowl.

so when is this thing likely to be on UK I-Tunes?? presumably sometime in the middle of SUnday night?

If the band and Dangermouse are to be believed that the album is still being worked on, and they are aiming for June, we may not get an announcement until the end of March. Just putting the worst case scenario out there.
If the album is only mentioned with the usual vague and non-committal comments on the Fallon show I'm pretty sure this place will suffer major meltdown.

If the band and Dangermouse are to be believed that the album is still being worked on, and they are aiming for June, we may not get an announcement until the end of March. Just putting the worst case scenario out there.
If the album is only mentioned with the usual vague and non-committal comments on the Fallon show I'm pretty sure this place will suffer major meltdown.

I hadn't seen this mentioned but admittedly I skim a lot of posts when these fuckers explode by 10 pages overnight.

Guy Oseary also manages Madonna and on her latest album (MDNA in 2012) she put out two fast singles a month apart and then the album dropped three weeks after the second single.

Her album was out 48 days after the first single was released.

Same manager, same label, same time period (Feb/March).

Oh, and she promoted it at the Super Bowl.
Super Bowl XLVI halftime show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't get well over 100 million people to pay attention to your music at one specific time to then turn around and wait for 90-120 days to capitalize on that momentum. I don't know what's going to happen but I'm betting the album will show up before June.

If the band and Dangermouse are to be believed

They're not.

Guy Oseary also manages Madonna and on her latest album (MDNA in 2012) she put out two fast singles a month apart and then the album dropped three weeks after the second single.

Her album was out 48 days after the first single was released.

Same manager, same label, same time period (Feb/March).

Oh, and she promoted it at the Super Bowl.
Super Bowl XLVI halftime show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't get well over 100 million people to pay attention to your music at one specific time to then turn around and wait for 90-120 days to capitalize on that momentum. I don't know what's going to happen but I'm betting the album will show up before June.

Great observation on the Madge/Oseary connection.

Just so all of our non US fans freak out now and not later...

err that's basically what us non-US folk have complained about from the very start of the SB rumours - whenever US events/programs are aired here, we ALWAYS have our own local ads lol

I think it's funny how this thread has moved back to discussing the possible announcement of the new album during the Super Bowl commercial. Won't happen! Why is it so hard to understand that the band (yes, that's U2, not only Bono) are doing this for (RED) only and don't want the stuff mixed up with album promotion. IMO, it wouldn't look good and all and they are very aware of that. Those of us who'll still wait for an album announcement on 2 Feb will be disappointed, but at least we'll get a new song. I am looking forward to the commercial as well because it's a look into a new U2 video, but most of all to the song, of course.

(RED) is not a charity. It's a public-private partnership that generates money for the Global Fund, an international institution set up to fight diseases in Africa. It's a business model. And yes, it means a lot to Bono and I'm pretty sure it also means a lot to the rest of U2. They agreed to have (RED) zones at their 360 shows and have donated money to Bono's causes before, so it isn't so hard to believe that indeed all of U2 would take part in that commercial. Without the band's agreement, Bono wouldn't be able to use "Invisible" for the campaign. Of course they are all on board. Having a commercial with U2 is just so much stronger than having a commercial with Bono only.

I don't get my hopes up about an album announcement on 2/2, in fact, I hope it won't happen because (RED) is (RED) and not a promotion platform for U2. After the Super Bowl I say: Bring it on. Fallon seems much more likely for me to announce the album. I'm sure we'll have some amazing things coming up in the weeks following the Super Bowl.

Well, speaking of The Global Fund, if BOA is trying to rehab their image as bloated and corrupt institution, they chose an interesting partner, as The Global fund has been mired in scandal the past several years, including serious mismanagement, corruption and misappropriation of funds. Millions have gone missing, many times more than will be raised in this ad by RED. It's so bad that several countries have either reduced or suspended altogether any funding for the organisation. And while they've taken some steps to clean up their act, they still have a long way to go. Google Global Fund and corruption and read about the dozens of cases of financial mismanagement.

And even setting aside the corruption with TGF, it's still a controversial business model in the development community. For every dollar that goes to RED, they take their administrative costs and send it to TGF. And of course, TGF doesn't do anything directly to fight AIDS in Africa either. They simply distribute the money (after taking their administrative costs off the top) to lots of local NGO's, relief organisation, etc. working in Africa, who then spend the money on their own programs (and sometimes they're funding third parties yet). And keep in mind that the purpose of the Global Fund is to prevent and arrest the spread of infectious disease...not researching a "cure" for AIDs. A noble cause, to be sure, but it does make the suggestion in the online BOA ad that downloading this song will be the "End of AIDS" and lead to an "AIDS-free Generation" a little disingenuous. Again, it's great that U2 is doing this, and there's nothing wrong with supporting something like this...but don't be fooled as to what's actually going on here.

That said, I think you're most certainly correct that there won't be any kind of announcement regarding the new record in this U2/BOA/iTunes/(RED) ad. It would obviously look pretty crass for U2, or BOA for that matter, to look like they're try to "sell" something when they're promoting RED.

Because of course the primary purpose of the ad is to promote and hype U2, and create good will for BOA. Indeed, BOA is a corporation, and their officers cannot simply "give" money to charity out of the goodness of their heart, no matter how much they care about Africa or how big U2 fans they may be. In fact, they could be sued by their shareholders if they did such a thing. Anything like this must have a legitimate corporate purpose...in this, case, rehabbing BOA's terrible image. And no matter what you read about BOA's "contribution" being tied to how many downloads this song gets...that's more hype. Whatever BOA is contributing to this has already been decided. They know there will be a record number of downloads..the thing is free after all.

So while it's nice to think this is just a lovely charity ad that U2 and BOA happen to be supporting, and that is all going to spell the end of AIDS, I'm afraid the truth is a little more nuanced, and this is mostly just about a new U2 song. Being able to feel like you're curing AIDS by clicking an iTunes link is just a bonus.

Which, let's face it, the song is all most people are interested in anyway. As for me, I'll be downloading the song as soon as it's available, and really don't have any interest in being exposed to new U2 music first in a commercial. Though I'll certainly watch it on YouTube, as I'm interested to see what visual look they've come up with.

So, who's going to start the thread for Invisible chat on Sunday? We don't want that to get buried in all of this inane stuff.

That new artwork reminds me a bit of that Jose Parla who was rumoured to be doing the artwork about 9 months ago... Except black and white and on an LED screen

err that's basically what us non-US folk have complained about from the very start of the SB rumours - whenever US events/programs are aired here, we ALWAYS have our own local ads lol

Ahhh I'm sure it'll be on YouTube or on bank of america's website within minutes of it being aired. It's really not that big a deal I was just hoping to see some good ole fashioned interference freak outs. Mission: Failed. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom