Achtung Baby Side A vs Achtung Baby Side B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Which side of the immortal Achtung Baby do you think is superior? I know this will be mind-numbingly difficult for many of you, but you must make a choice...

Side A
1.Zoo Station
2.Even Better Than The Real Thing
3.One
4.Until The End Of The World
5.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6.So Cruel

Side B
7.The Fly
8.Mysterious Ways
9.Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
10.Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
11.Acrobat
12.Love Is Blindness

Wow....ummmm.... That's hard but I'm gonna go with Side A as being the better of the two. Not by much though. Side A has the weakest song(So Cruel) but it also has One and UTEOTW which are my two favorites off the album so it gets the edge.

Last edited:
Actually, this is pretty easy. Despite the fact it contains the two worst songs on the album - TTTYAATW and Ultra Violet - Side B also has three of the four classics, The Fly, Acrobat, and LIB. All Side A has to say for itself is UTEOTW, the rest is forgettable except maybe Zoo Station.

Side A.

UTEOTW and One are 2 of their best, and So Cruel is the most beautiful song Ive ever heard. Not to mention Zoo Station is U2's best album opener, IMO.

When you put them togther like this, you realise just how bloody brilliant this album is!

B just about edges it.

Really hard

Zoo Station < The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing>Mysterious Ways
One>Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Until The End Of The World>Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses<Acrobat
So Cruel<Love Is Blindness

So 3-3 draw

Tough choice, but Id have to go for Side B

Mysterious Ways and Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World are my least favourite songs on Achtung Baby, but The Fly, Ultraviolet, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness more than make up for it.:drool:

I like Arms around the world too :| for me the worst song on AB is, by far, So Cruel, but I still like it... AB it's probably the most consistent album they made.

Damn, this is hard. Both sides are brilliant. But I have to give the edge to Side B, if only for the wonderful ending trilogy, and because it contains The Fly.

miss becky said:
Damn, this is hard. Both sides are brilliant. But I have to give the edge to Side B, if only for the wonderful ending trilogy, and because it contains The Fly.

Damn skippy :drool:

Hallucination said:

True but it slows just abit too much with 3 of the last 4 songs being slow songs and Mysterious Ways seems to be a bit of an oddball. Great song but seems a bit outta place.

I don't know if I would categorize Acrobat as a "slow song". It's not an up-tempo song like The Fly, but it's not sedate like TTTYAATW or Love is Blindness. That's like calling Bullet The Blue Sky a "slow song".

And, Axver - I'm surprised that an Unforgettable Fire fan wouldn't like TTTYAATW. Not that that a fan of one has to like the other, but I would have thought the atmosphere would appeal to you.

Shade said:

And, Axver - I'm surprised that an Unforgettable Fire fan wouldn't like TTTYAATW. Not that that a fan of one has to like the other, but I would have thought the atmosphere would appeal to you.

That's the point! Arms around the world has the worst lyrics on AB but the song has a great mood and atmosphere! MW + TTTYAATW make a cool breakdown on AB, the album doesn't need to be deep and dark all the way.

Shade said:

I don't know if I would categorize Acrobat as a "slow song". It's not an up-tempo song like The Fly, but it's not sedate like TTTYAATW or Love is Blindness. That's like calling Bullet The Blue Sky a "slow song".

I suppose that makes sense. It's more melodic though than a song like Bullet and maybe that makes it seem slower. I love the song don't get me wrong and I love the songs the end off Side B. I think maybe Mysterious Ways just throws it off for me. I think Mysterious Ways and WGRYWH should maybe have been in each other's spot. Then again who am I to question the greatest album of all time(IMO).:wink:

Shade said:

Atmosphere? TTTYAATW is a poorly written - though sometimes humorous - plod through the Country of the B-Side. I still don't understand why it made AB, especially as MW --> Ultra Violet would've made for a better transition anyway.

Axver said:

Atmosphere? TTTYAATW is a poorly written - though sometimes humorous - plod through the Country of the B-Side. I still don't understand why it made AB, especially as MW --> Ultra Violet would've made for a better transition anyway.

Because TTTYAATW belongs in the story that Achtung Baby tells. It is the transition between the hedonistic, experimentation of Mysterious Ways, and the beaten, bitter character in the final three songs of the album.

And I'll go you one further, Axver. This answer is the same one for when you comment on the flow of the album, specifically EBTTRT-->One. Never forget that Achtung Baby tells a story, and the order of the songs is crucial. Remove one song, and the whole thing falls apart.

miss becky said:

Because TTTYAATW belongs in the story that Achtung Baby tells. It is the transition between the hedonistic, experimentation of Mysterious Ways, and the beaten, bitter character in the final three songs of the album.

And I'll go you one further, Axver. This answer is the same one for when you comment on the flow of the album, specifically EBTTRT-->One. Never forget that Achtung Baby tells a story, and the order of the songs is crucial. Remove one song, and the whole thing falls apart.

:bow:

Achtung Baby's listing is like flipping the middle finger to the idea of stacking your hits at the start of the album. The Fly and Mysterious Ways tracks 7 and 8? There's strength right there.

Side B.

cool thread, tough decision

HMMMMM....

I'm gonna go with side A...zoo station, one, and uteotw are ALL right up there with my all time favorites...side B is unbelievable also...mysterious ways is one of my favorites; however, acrobat, ultraviolet, and the fly (while all great) do not head the list of best U2 songs ever...at least for me they dont

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom