ABC NEWS: Bono injured in rehearsal, undergoes emergency back surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My step-daughter is a orthopedic surgical nurse, at a well respected hospital in Baltimore County, Maryland. She has been working in her profession for over twelve years. Has assisted in many back and knee surgery procedures. She has never heard of any doctor injecting animal blood or any other foreign agent into anyone's back or spine.

I think you may be misunderstanding him...? My apologies if I've read it wrong, though.

He's not saying that his posts amount to a peer review. The problem he's pointing out is that the doctor's methods have NOT been peer reviewed. This involves rigorous testing of his treatment methods, and then writing a scientific article to be submitted in a medical journal. Where the "peer-review" comes in is that the editors of the journal will go over his article with a fine-tooth comb, to see if his testing methods merit the article being published. If the article passes this test, then it is eventually published, and other professionals can read the paper, evaluate it, and attempt to replicate his results. This is a normal and appropriate level of scrutiny that virtually every medical treatment goes through. That this doctor has made this (according to him) miraculous treatment discovery, and yet will not take these steps to 1) put it under scrutiny; and 2) share it with the rest of the worldwide medical community is very, very problematic, and as I said earlier, raises a lot of red flags. The way he's chosen to do things is very unusual, and makes it seem highly suspicious.

And I might add that his treatments obviously didn't work for Bono, ultimately. The thing that will fix Bono is the surgery he has undergone, done by another doctor.

Thank you. That is what I am saying . It is so unusual for a Dr of any kind, who makes the claims he does ( complete cure of the Golfer with RA as example something millions have ) or healing muscle tears in 2 weeks , to have Never, in 30 plus years, written a single paper on his methods. I have seen some that make claims, and never written papers for review, which means others will try studies and attempt to duplicate it Using RA as example again , this affects so many people, people would be studying his claims of treatment of RA like few other things . There is a reason these types dont publish . The claims won't hold.

I included the video I found, as it is very telling . He claims " he doesn't have to prove it, because he knows it works". Really? No legtimate Dr would say that. They LOVE to publish their work, as it helps them professional, and it allows others the ability to verify it, which in turn, helps millions of people if it works.

As you see in the video, he admits it is basically accupunture ( which I believe in... Been done for 1,000's of years . has been studied and proven to work..There are 1,000's of clinical studies on accupunture.

He also said " I am sticking in needles, so I might as well inject something ... what is he injecting ? His mode of Sterile, clearly seen in the video, is not protocol in africa, let a lone a high in German Hotel clinic. . I do not buy the HGH 'ish Goats or calves blood, or God knows what else he puts in these people. Long term side effects of HGH for instance, are starting to show ( through studies) to be very dangerous . I won't even mention the Rooster Booster .

The guy says he has his youthfull looks because he takes the treatments himself. I can see the lines on the side of his hairline, and just loking at his hands, it is Plasctic surgery. You can always tell by the hands and the face . So he is BS 'ing .Why would he ? If he is about that,then what is actually in those 20-200 injections and what are they doing to these young soccer players ? What happens to them at 35-40? . Be interesting to study them as they age. I wonder how many won't be able to walk at 35-40?

The Dr who did the surgery, is VERY well respected , and skilled. Thank God for that . Thank God he was called .

The injection Dr is all over the world press about how he cured Bono with his methods. I disagree, and it tells me something about him. He does do surgery( he claims, but he actually has an assitant who is a surgeon for groin etc ) and someone can thank his lucky stars some sense of reason went to his head, and he called an Expert that saved Bono from permanent damage.

This Dr would Never be allowed to practice in the states . They would shut him down in a heart beat. There are many who try the sort of thing he does, ( usually involving roids, HGH , PED's ) and as you can see over the years, they indict them left and right . Blaco-Bonds, Rodger Clemmens etc. . They do it because it is dangerous

We cannot find one single paper this guy has ever written. That is soooo unusal, and it always ends up being for one reason. I will leave it to the individual to decide what that reason is.

Dr Tonn, by contrast, has written many papers, and he is an expert Nuerosurgeon. He is the one, thankfully who saved this.

It's not personal. False hope that damages people is scary to us. Not a single paper in 30 years, is he biggest red flag you can imagine in medical Community. everyone is talking about it.

It is safe to say, Bono is walking , hopefully exercising (lightly ) and he will feel better than he has in years . There is no need for "faster" and he has time to do it right . If he does, he will feel like a new man.

He should have his medical license revoked. If he even has one.

Now this would be speculation, but an educated one. I think they allow him to run his "clinic" as for whatever reason, he is able to convince the soccer players that his answer is the best. You know how serious they are about it . They riot over it, so maybe he keeps the peace, and can convince these players to play hurt. Mental Placebo effect.
what gets me about this posiblity, is that looking thru news articles, the players were out approx the same amount of time, had they just let it heal and PT , than with the treatment .

If we were supposed to have rooster blood in the human body, we would is another general point. The video is very telling about him, and what he claims to do .

If he has one.. that part too.

My step-daughter is a orthopedic surgical nurse, at a well respected hospital in Baltimore County, Maryland. She has been working in her profession for over twelve years. Has assisted in many back and knee surgery procedures. She has never heard of any doctor injecting animal blood or any other foreign agent into anyone's back or spine.

exactly, JH would be studying it or doing it if there was anything to it .

okay guys, can we please get back on topic? this thread is about bono and his back surgery. if anyone wants to discuss other band members' ailments and past treatments, feel free to start another thread. thank you.

I believe Bono is getting too much preferential treatment now.

If Adam's back had gone out... would the tour have been cancelled?

If one of Larry's hairs had gone out of place ... would the tour have been cancelled?

If Edge had shaved his beard... would the tour have been cancelled?

Bono hurt his back, I hope he recovers well

can I gently say that some of the posts in here scare the shit outta me from a point of view they go beyond a 'wishing Bono a good recovery'.........they are like 'whoah'!

Bono aint owned by anyone

:D:D

The US FDA has not approved Actovegin (based on calf blood), which is made by an Austrian company. Details here- FAQ on Actovegin

"The manufactures claim that when actovegin is injected, it increases oxygen concentration and promotes healing by increasing glucose uptake into the tissues."

Tiger Woods (and many other pro and Olympic athletes) received treatment from a Canadian doctor who uses Actovegin on patients. Tiger himself received plasma therapy (not calf blood), which helped him heal faster from knee surgery.

If Edge had shaved his beard... would the tour have been cancelled?

Just imagine the headlines:
"U2 360 TOUR POSTPONED DUE TO BEARD-RELATED INJURIES"
"U2 GUITARIST UNDERGOES FOLLICLE REPLACEMENT SURGERY"
"EDGE'S BEARD ON TRACK FOR FULL RECOVERY, CLAIMS ROCK STAR'S BARBER"

...Best imaginary crisis ever.

Just imagine the headlines:
"U2 360 TOUR POSTPONED DUE TO BEARD-RELATED INJURIES"
"U2 GUITARIST UNDERGOES FOLLICLE REPLACEMENT SURGERY"
"EDGE'S BEARD ON TRACK FOR FULL RECOVERY, CLAIMS ROCK STAR'S BARBER"

...Best imaginary crisis ever.
Could you imagine the discussion here about the barber?

The US FDA has not approved Actovegin (based on calf blood), which is made by an Austrian company. Details here- FAQ on Actovegin

"The manufactures claim that when actovegin is injected, it increases oxygen concentration and promotes healing by increasing glucose uptake into the tissues."

Tiger Woods (and many other pro and Olympic athletes) received treatment from a Canadian doctor who uses Actovegin on patients. Tiger himself received plasma therapy (not calf blood), which helped him heal faster from knee surgery.

Thank you for the link. Before Bono's surgery, I had never heard of this.

There have been plenty of cases of treatments not approved by the FDA(some for decades) that are now pretty common.

I'm just as weary as anyone, but it's a fact of medicine. :shrug:

Yes, and he uses a Hyperbaric chamber too. Now you want to talk about potential back issues! I think Group sex in an Escalade every minute of the day ( especially after every meal) is not good, but who is thinking of the back at times like those ? At least he is working on his swing . :D

Far bigger problems when he has to write the 750 milion dollar check .

There have been plenty of cases of treatments not approved by the FDA(some for decades) that are now pretty common.

I'm just as weary as anyone, but it's a fact of medicine. :shrug:

FDA-=Drugs and devices . If they are not approved, then the Insurance companies and their Lawyers get involved. No fun.Dr House would be in prision for life. At this moment, I can't think of either that would be commonly used . Even with fast track it can take 3-5 years, and at least they are "measured" with controlled studies . To even switch one to try something that is approved for problem A , to treat problem B, usually goes through a seperate trial and approval system. Vigara for Migraines for instance.

Supplements or Holistic medicines would , for the most part , not be rated or approved, although there is a company who does that now. You don't even want to know what's in them. Recent studies as I mentioned before have found toxic levels of Lead and Mercury in almost all of them. A host of other not so cool stuff in them too.

He should have his medical license revoked. If he even has one.

good point. I think he gets a pass because of the German Football team connection . Numb them up, get them out there . The Dr I studied with , would tell me stories about NFL players and how they would keep them in the game in the 60's, big time 70's etc. Numb it and go play. Pain killers afterward . I would think it hard to play that buzzed . Dangerous too.

I think I mentioned this one in regards that he uses PED's and that it was banned in many sports.

It is a "undetectable" form of a PED, somewhat like EPO . I think they are, or are now testing for it. They are gone if they find it . This Dr says he uses it, but in some things I have found , he says he has "refined it to his own treatments. "

It is banned in most sports. Many Tour de France riders have used it ( it's why you hear they go to "Austria",Spain or Italy for "blood" treatments.

Increased oxygen has been studied and shown to increase performance, and there is studied theory that increased oxygen and bloodflow will help injuries of the muscle heal , but not as this Dr claims.

I don't know anyone who uses it . If they did, they wouldnt say for sure. trouble .... Lawyers, and Congress are against PEDs. They are not good for you . regardless, it isn't the Magic Juice

Yes, and he uses a Hyperbaric chamber too. Now you want to talk about potential back issues! I think Group sex in an Escalade every minute of the day ( especially after every meal) is not good, but who is thinking of the back at times like those ? At least he is working on his swing . :D

Far bigger problems when he has to write the 750 milion dollar check .

:crack: I really need to stop reading threads from bottom to top sometimes. You can get a bit fuzzy on who is actually being discussed. lol.

I agree, Bono's lumbar disc. Didn't crumble/fracture over night. It just isn't possible. It takes repeated injury and years for this to happen.

I appreciate all of the medical advise and research that Benj has shared with us. It certainly has helped me, quite a bit.

I had never heard of anyone having injected into their spine/back. Animal blood, steroids, roaster head stew? WTF?

Being 53 years old, all of my contemporaries have back issues. Mostly aches and stiffness, mild Sciatica flare ups that heal just fine, with a day or two of rest. As, I have said. I am not a doctor. But, there is no way on God's green earth. That I would allow this procedure to ever be done to me. I could be wrong, but I don't think this is a practice that is allowed in the United States.

When, I injured my back in a Black Belt Martial Arts class. Due to being thrown down of a mat. (I was forty years old at the time.) I had a very small tear in my ligament, bulging disc and compressed Sciatic Nerve. The first thing that my doctor did after he examined me. Was to order a full set of x-rays. He wanted to make sure that my vertabre was not collapsing. And that my lumbar disc was still in good shape. Imaging proved this to be true. So conventional treatment was followed. Surgery is never the first option. But, there are times when it is the only thing to be done, in order to restore health to the patient.

I hope. I never have to go down that road. Though, if I do. I will make sure that I see a qualified surgeon and not some DR. Feel Good who wants to experiment on me. No thanks! My quality of life is too important. Plus, I love swimming with my grand daughter.

Well said to you and Vintage . Any and every Dr who could claim this treatment to be what he says it is , would be very anxious to publish the results . Dr's would set up extensive studies, from all over. I wish it did work as he says, and studies would prove it, or not. If it did work, millions and millions of people in agonizing pain would be helped. Would make my job easier too. Contrary to popular belief, we hate to operate . All surgery comes with risks, and the spine /cervical are the worst. There are few things medically that cause massive pain than lower back, cervical . Cancer is the worst, but lower back is not far behind.

A- you have a very good Dr. That is textbook on how to treat that type of problem . Most can be resolved without surgery if treated at early onslaught of the problem. Swimming with your Grandaughter is golden , and the things we think about as a goal of treatment . Those things are what we seek to achieve .

They had a U2 Marathon last night on some HD station called Paladin, or something like that. They showed a lot of the 360, and the whole version of Rattle and Hum . I had seen the show live, but forgot how much Bono snapped himself, back and forth. Whipping his back . He did it very energetically . Almost violently . There is when the problem started in light form. As we age, everyone gets some degeneration, but I wondered watching it if he was having problems, or anyone was watching for them. They were very hard back and forward snaps. Years of that will lead to problems as one ages.

They showed a lot of the 360, and yes he is older, but when he ran the circle , you could see a whole different way of "running" . Not from being out of shape, but more tentative. I got yelled at for saying this before, but at the Ga show and Tampa, you could see he had an issue. You can tell how someone puts their weight , or grabs below their hip. He would plant one leg firmly and rock off the front foot keeping the other stiff as a board . Both are a classic sign of L-4-5 S1 problems.That's why we have people walk around the examination room . You can see it. I think it was the Rose bowl show, but it was there. I would be very surprised they hadn't seen a problem before the start . Very surprised. It does not happen over night, unless you have a hard force trauma, and even then with his history, it wouldn't have taken that to cause it. They would have seen it on films. insurance physical . Somewhere. I hope this Dr was being honest with him.

He will feel much better, almost completely pain free if he takes no shortcuts, and we will get to see concerts for years to come. I would love to see the first one back. He will be charged no question about that . Pain is draining.

That's a blessing. He will be swimming with his family too. :hyper:

:lol: Thank you.

Didn't want to upset the Tiger Fans ... sorry about that, it does get fuzzy. All puns intended on that one.

So much news coverage on Tiger down here, we all laughed when a New station said Tiger was working long hours on his swing . So much coverage we all pause to make sure what swing he is working on.. He's a free man now, but she wants 750 million, and a book deal. he's freaking out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom